Chapter 8 ─ Promotion
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We are only one chapter away from the end of the volume dear readers.

Best of all, there's a Rudel-like feel to a certain scene, you'll see it.

After beating the viscount, Russell saved the girls.

A few hours passed and the sun began to rise.

The knights arrived and before we were all arrested, Jessica came running with several notebooks containing all the sinful deeds the viscount's family has done.

We were questioned and after a few hours of investigation it was discovered that he was indeed guilty.

They took him to a carriage where they put several of his subordinates.

The only ones they didn't put in those carriages were slaves, among them the girl I fought.

I asked her if we could fight one more time and she said no as she ran away.

After saving the girls, we went to the guild immediately.

The guild master himself informed us.

"Congratulations, for your brave act of fighting to save these kidnapped girls, as well as catching a criminal who broke the law."

"It is my pleasure to promote both of you to D-rank adventurers."

(Only one rank? And a D-rank besides.)

I looked at Russell to comment that it was a bit disappointing.

But this bearded man for some reason was smiling.

Something inside me told me not to talk to him.

After watching as our IDs said our new ranks.

A celebration began.

Apparently everyone knew about the viscount, but there was nothing they could do about it.

Mary went along with her mother to rest, I wanted to say some great words to her, but I didn't want to ruin their mother-daughter moment.

I'll save that for later.

Right now I was eating a lot of meat as I was drinking something called alcohol.

It tastes delicious but the taste is very strong.

Jessica came up to me with a bottle.

"Can I refill your glass?"

"Phleahseh."

"Please" I said and she poured me more alcohol.

I don't know if it was because of the spicy food, but her cheeks were red.

"Was it very dangerous?"

"I don't think so, it was annoying but not dangerous."

I can use both my hands because the knights healed our wounds by using a bottle called elixir, which can regenerate even amputated limbs.

This is not given to mere adventurers like us, but the knight said we deserved it before we saw him hug a girl.

Jessica kept asking me questions and answered what I think was the best option.

She also came very close to me, I won't give you of my food.

◇◇◇

The place which the viscount was taken is none other than the royal palace from Rosenthal Kingdom.

The kingdom is part of the United Kingdom, being the main of the three kingdoms that take the lead over all the allied countries.

In the palace an important meeting was taking place as soon as the sun rose.

It was deciding how to punish Viscount Heving.

The ministers' hall was a separate room from the royal hall where important meetings such as promotions were held as well.

At a large, circular table all the ministers were discussing what to do with him.

It sounds simple, but condemning a nobleman with or without evidence is very serious. There is even the question of whether he was falsely accused or not.

That is why this case takes so long.

"We have the evidence and his own handwriting as witnesses about what he did. Why wait any longer and not send him to the gallows?"

"How do we know that that evidence is not false? A few years ago we also believed that a nobleman was guilty and was executed for it. Then we found out that it was a trap set by an enemy of his. We don't want to make fools of ourselves again."

"But that case was different and it was in the time of our predecessors. Now we are the ones who take the reins of the situation."

They were often delayed because they were discussing things that had nothing to do with the accused.

Looking at them uninterested and a bit sleepy.

A middle-aged man of average physique, short blond hair combed back and green eyes was bored.

The highest authority in this country, the king [Noah Noel Rosenthal].

King Noah spoke to the man at his side.

The prime minister, an old man with a thin moustache and a monocle, [Clayton Alba Andersen].

"Hey, Clay. How long will this go on?"

"The evidence is gathered and these guys can't make up their minds anymore. I want to sleep."

"Your Majesty, I'm afraid your schedule is busy today with documents to sign."

"Again?"

"Yes. Again today."

"... In that case, more reason for them to hurry up."

"Even if so, as long as they are fighting it will be impossible."

The prime minister pointed to two men.

"Why do you refuse to accept that it is obvious that this man is guilty?"

"We can't sign anything without thoroughly reviewing the evidence."

"What do you want to check? It's all there!"

On the left side stood an overweight man with a scraggly beard.

It was the marquis [Brendan Zora Fredman] who always saw the false side of the statements of corrupt nobles, as he had been blamed for that in the past.

"We must investigate those who gave the evidence and find out if they are not in conspiracy with that Black Rose."

"Don't say that such that Black Rose, as if it doesn't exist please."

"All of us here know that they exist and that they are a poison in our country."

Replied a tall man, good physique, moustache, neatly combed purple hair and red amber eyes.

He is Duke Realight [Dominique Noel Realight]. One of the [Four Great Nobles] of the kingdom, the most prestigious families next to the royal family.

King Noah calmed them both down.

"You two, calm down."

At that moment, an official entered the hall without permission.

"I-I bring serious news!"

"What is it?"

The duke asked, everyone turned to look at the sweating official.

"Viscount Heving... has committed suicide in his cell!"

"...!"

◇◇◇

-15 minutes ago-

Viscount Heving was waiting quietly in his cell, which is located in the royal palace.

There are three types of prisons in the kingdom.

The first is the general prison where all criminals go.

The second is the knights' prison, where special prisoners reside.

The last one is the palace prison, for those traitors who attempt against the royal family or a minister.

The viscount knew he was going to be released.

After all…

(I am an important member of the Black Rose. My family has helped them for generations.)

(They didn't make me an executive just so the other executives wouldn't be scared off by my power with the top brass.)

(It's only a matter of time before they get me out of here.)

*Open*

The door suddenly began to open.

The viscount was waiting quietly on his bed when he saw the man standing outside.

He took two steps inside and closed the door.

The viscount started to panic.

"N-No. Why are you here?"

"Why is the [Leader of the Assassination Department] here?"

"Why do you ask if you already know the answer?"

Answered that strong, cold voice.

"I-I'm important to the organization! You can't eliminate me!"

"Of course you are important. You're part of our precious meat shields, you serve only as a scapegoat."

"...!"

The man began to approach the viscount.

"The boss said he must make sure you don't talk. It will be quick, unless you said something."

"No. Step away please... Guard! Guard, help!"

The guard was a member of the Black Rose, he was ignoring the viscount's supplications.

These turned to strange sounds and finally to a harsh, loud sound of something breaking.

The man stepped out of the cell and handed a piece of paper to the guard.

"Do your job now."

"Aye aye."

The guard made sure to make it look like the viscount committed suicide and locked the door so no one could enter.

◇◇◇

"... The guard reported that he suffocated himself with his own hands. We believe he did it to protect someone."

Among the ministers, a certain person smiled mischievously.

"You see! I told you he was guilty and now we have no way of finding out what he knows. Damn it!"

The prime minister spoke in place of the king.

"The meeting is adjourned, everyone please leave and an investigation will be held immediately. You may return to your offices."

The ministers began to leave, one of them was being watched by the duke.

After everyone had left, the king sighed.

"Again we missed an opportunity to get information from those guys."

"Should we tell the Blue Rose to look into it?"

"I don't trust what the official or the guard said. It's too suspicious."

The king stood up and walked in the duke's direction.

"Dominique, I understand how you feel. But there is nothing we can do for now."

"I'm sure, if you had been a little unfair to the opinion of the others, we would have taken all the information from you."

"If I had done that, they would be calling me a tyrant. What is it that makes our nation great?"

"Freedom of expression."

"That's right. Without freedom we would be mere slaves."

"But we let the slave business exist."

"Better that they should exist under observation than that hundreds of them should exist in secret, isn't it?"

"Sometimes I don't understand whether you are very friendly or cruel."

"Hahahaha. You think so?"

The two approached the balcony and the prime minister behind him handed him the report.

"Leaving aside the viscount. I am very interested in this adventurer."

"Indeed. According to the report, it was he who came up with the whole plan, including defeating an S-rank adventurer."

"According to the reports, it was the quake that made that adventurer lose her balance."

"Do you think an S rank adventurer would be easily defeated?"

"I don't want to believe it. It would be very scary to have such a person and not have him affiliated with the kingdom."

Raising his hands and ducking his shoulders, the duke showed his irony of the situation.

In contrast, the king seemed joyful at this news.

"Imagine we have discovered an unpolished diamond in the rough. Don't you think it is better to have him affiliated with us than to let him go free?"

"In that case, I suggest a promotion."

Promotion.

What the prime minister is referring to is also called raising.

A promotion is the most vital thing for a knight or nobleman of the kingdom.

In total there are 11 ranks, but two of them are not taken into account, leaving only 9 ranks in total.

The king's rank is the highest, the one that is respected in its entirety.

The Prime Minister suggested a suitable rank for Regulus.

"What do you think, Your Majesty?"

"I like it. I consider it the best of promotions for a commoner."

"But... just in case, I want to send Rutherford to see if he really deserves that title."

◇◇◇

Meanwhile, on the other side of the continent.

In a huge white castle an emergency meeting was taking place.

"That idiot Heving!"

"They don't just catch him. He never sent me my presents!"

"Unforgivable."

The emperor, [Thomas Lumina Avrora] a short, plump man with ridiculous hair and a worm moustache was in a bad mood.

"This is unacceptable. The worst thing is that the Black Rose will be angry with me now."

"Father. Is it really bad that they're mad at you?"

"Of course it is, you idiot!"

"You don't know it, but the Black Rose have eyes, ears and hands everywhere in the world. There is not a single place that is not occupied by their claws."

"... Even this country has people from them infiltrated, we don't know who they are. That's why we must not make them angry."

The emperor didn't trust his own vassals, for him, they were all traitors, but he couldn't have them all executed.

So, he came up with something.

"I'll make sure those bastards pay hahaha. I know how I'll get revenge."

"I'll tell the [Endymion Theocracy] that they have heretics who attempt against their faith."

"Hahahaha! That's the best plan of all."

The days were passing and we were nearing the end of October.

I was heading back to the inn now that I am a D rank when I saw a mysterious man talking to Shannon.

She looked concerned.

I rushed over to find out what this guy with the strange moustache wanted.

Shannon noticed my presence and waved at me.

She was smiling.

When I got close to her, the man with the strange moustache took off his hat and greeted me.

"Good day young man, it is a pleasure to meet you."

"I was sent by the royal palace to give you your reward for helping to catch the criminal."

"Reward? I thought the promotion was all the reward?"

"No, no, no."

"That reward is from the guild to you. I heard you freed a slave who is an adventurer, but he was a former bandit."

"Well, the palace decided that they would not give him a reward but they would take away the charges he would receive for being a bandit."

That's right.

I had forgotten about Russell.

That guy really didn't run away and now that he's not a slave, he can earn money without a problem.

He's on a mission now, says he really likes Shannon's coffee and that's why he won't go to another inn.

"As for you... we can go in, it's better if you can hear it without the noise of passers-by."

"Sure."

We all went inside and Shannon went straight to the kitchen.

I was left alone with the man with the strange moustache who pulled out a piece of paper called a scroll.

He unrolled it and read its contents after coughing a little.

"I, the current king of the Kingdom of Rosenthal, Noah Noel Rosenthal. Based on my power I bestow upon you the following title for your heroic deeds."

"I decorate you with the ninth rank of the royal court. You are henceforth an honorary knight."

"And in view of the fact that you defeated an S-rank adventurer, I promote you to eighth rank. Therefore, you are now a knight by inheritance."

"That's what His Majesty says, congratulations young man."

From the kitchen I heard Shannon shout.

The official was putting away the parchment.

But I still don't understand this.

"I'm sorry. I have no idea what you're talking about."

He looked surprised.

"Let's see... to make it short."

"The ninth rank is something all commoners crave to obtain for the sake of being able to go into work as a town guard or security."

"In contrast, the eighth rank is something much more special. Not only does His Majesty grant you the opportunity to join a knightly order as a low-ranking soldier."

"It allows you to obtain a surname, which you could not obtain as a ninth rank."

"A surname? As a noble I would be?"

"A half noble in fact. If you make it to baronet, you will be a half baron."

"But, I think you can do it. In all my years of dictating these royal declarations, this is my first time finding a person promoted twice and at the same time."

"You should be proud, the king must be expecting great things from you."

"Ah. I forgot. You can't get a second name unless you are affiliated with a fief or being a vassal of some noble, when you are baronet you will get it."

"In the next few days a knight will come to escort you to the capital to have a meeting with His Majesty to grant you your surname."

"Again, congratulations."

The official handed me a document certifying what he said.

He asked me if I could read or write to leave me directions on what to do with it.

I was offended that he would say that, but I did nothing and replied that I did.

He left and then Shannon came out of the kitchen.

"That's wonderful Regulus-kun! You'll be a noble!"

"Half noble he said. Is it really that important to have one?"

Watching that idiot Heving, I thought being a noble was just being an idiot.

Ah, I forgot, I have family that is a noble.

Or at least Luke did.

"Tonight I will prepare the best dishes for you as a reward."

"Oh! That sounds great."

I was happy to eat delicious things that I didn't notice Mary came in from shopping.

"Mary-chan, listen to what happened."

Since that day, for some reason she avoids seeing or talking to me.

Even now upon hearing the news, she acts indifferent.

The feast Shannon made was great.

It's a shame Russell was still out on his mission to catch a giant frog for medicine.

Well, I ate his portion so I hope you're safe.

I was about to sleep comfortably when someone knocked on the door.

"Who will it be at this hour?"

(I want to sleep.)

I walked to the door and opened it to find Mary for some reason.

"Is something wrong?"

"... Can we talk?"

She had come out of the shower because of her good smell and wet hair.

I don't know what she wants, but I let her in and she closed the door but not before checking if no one was around.

Before you say something about the MC being mentally retarded, I remind you that when human beings are hungry or sleepy or want to go to the toilet, sexual desire dies completely as the body gives priority to those important matters. I would like to see you wanting to be with your partner, but tiredness gets to you because your body can't take it anymore.

And yeah, these excuses are given by Rudel, but he really wants to have intercourse, but the body is not Superman to do it.

Let's go with Mary's corresponding fanservice, as it looks like something good will happen. I think I'll update Mary's art, since she has more of a "Lucy" aura with fangs and little horns.

https://chan.sankakucomplex.com/es/post/show/32225431

1