Chapter 133
56 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
My RR Writeathon story, Courier Quest: A Cozy Isekai LitRPG, is now available on Amazon and Audible, narrated by Giancarlo Herrera and Hannah Schooner! Whispersync is already available, as well!

Thank you to everyone who had given it a chance before!

 

The Angel Express - 4:55 AM

The train had been parked for a few hours before I was woken up by a message sent by my girlfriend. After exchanging pleasantries and getting cleaned up and ready for the day, I stepped into the dining car to see that Jamie was already waiting. She sat on one of the long benches and stared out of the window, though I knew there wasn’t much to look at.

“Good morning,” I greeted as I took a seat at a table near her.

“Good morning,” she replied, not taking her eyes away from the window. “Where are we?”

“Downtown Pittsburgh,” I answered. “Well, close to downtown, at least.”

“Is this a transportation hub, then?” Jamie asked, gesturing outside.

“Almost. I’ll explain it when the Mills join us,” I said as I ordered a coffee from the menu.

The Orcish brand, Wrathmaker, that the Dealer had gifted us back in Etson had been incorporated into the dining car and was now an option. It wasn’t enough to fully wake me up, my Constitution far outstripping the caffeine rating from back then, but it tasted fine and smelled amazing. Jamie looked away from the window to regard the mug before accessing her own menu and getting one for herself.

My eyes shifted to the window to gaze outside. The Subspace Depot was a large building that looked like an airplane hanger from inside. It was made from aluminum and we were parked next to a raised platform that ran the length of the train. There was a lot of extra room out there for people to walk around, stretch their legs, and even build things if they wanted. It was the most expensive upgrade to the train so far at 10,000 points.

It was a lot of extra room, but the biggest draw was that we were still inside the pocket dimension the Angel Express used to get around. The only thing people would see from the outside was a small, silver shanty with a door leading inside. While it had a warning to keep out, that didn’t mean people would heed it, but it did the trick. It was another layer of security that any thieves would have to break through, however, and it would become even stronger once we started the scenario.

“Morning,” Jeff greeted, and I turned to face them. The Mills shuffled into the dining car, full of groggy morning energy as they shuffled to join me at my table. Once they did so, he looked over at Jamie. “Care to join us?”

“Morning,” she replied before shaking her head. “I’m comfortable over here, thank you.”

“Good morning, you two,” I said once he nodded. “Why don’t you grab a coffee, and then we’ll step outside.”

I received a couple of grumbled affirmatives as they swiped open the menu, and it didn’t take long for them to have their drinks in hand. Kayla pulled the Windbreaker of Warmth out of her inventory and pulled it on after they stood up, and I did the same.

“Sara, how’s it look outside?” I asked the ceiling as I walked towards the door.

[[Patron Message]]

It’s all clear, Ant.

There’s no monsters or people. It’s a bit chilly, enough for snow on the ground, but aside from the people you’re expecting to be around it’s a quiet morning. Still, be careful; you know how quick they’ll be to jump on something new. The light from inside the depot may attract attention.

Sincerely,

Sara

“Thank you,” I replied as I stepped outside of the Angel Express. “Looks like we’ve got the all clear, nothing outside.”

“So your Patron can see things that are going on around you?” Jamie asked as she followed us. “Like some kind of surveillance satellite?”

“That’s a very broad view of it, but not inherently wrong,” I answered. “She can see in a wide radius around me, send messages and quests, and a bunch of other things. Sara’s just a nickname, by the way. If people know who your Patron really is, then there’s a chance they can guess what kind of boons and trump cards you received from them. I may let you in on things if you decide to stick around later.”

Jamie thought this over for a moment before nodding. “Good information.”

“You’re welcome,” I said with a smirk.

The exit of the Subspace Depot wasn’t too far away from the platform around the train. It was a plain door lit up with a single light, and I set my hand on the handle before turning to face the group. “It’s going to be really cold out there, especially with the wind. You all ready?”

Once the three of them nodded, I opened the door and stepped out of the way. Jeff went first, followed by Kayla and Jamie, and I stepped out to inspect the outside of the depot. It was a silver shack that was basically indestructible, which was good because extradimensional spaces did weird things when ruptured. I knocked on the sturdy metal wall as our new mercenary rounded on me.

“You said we were in Pittsburgh,” Jamie complained, crossing her arms.

“We are in Pittsburgh,” I said, still inspecting the shack. “This is downtown.”

“Downtown of what, the boonies?” Jeff asked, confused.

“Ant, there’s nothing here except snow, cars, and trucks,” Kayla observed. “Perhaps a better explanation is due?”

I gave her a small smile and nodded as I looked around. What Kayla said was true; there was nothing around but vehicles. There was a lot of snow with roads, sidewalks, signs, and lights hiding underneath just like you would have expected in any town or city, but that was it.

Aside from the Subspace Depot’s silver shack, there were no other buildings around. The unobstructed wind chilled our faces as I gestured towards the barren land around us.

“The buildings of Pittsburgh have been stolen by the administrator,” I announced. “Where are they? Underground. What are they there for? To be used as dungeons. How do we get them back? By completing those dungeons.”

“Why?” Jeff asked, hands on his hips.

“Because they can,” I shrugged. “There’s really not a good answer for ‘why is all this happening,’ you know.”

“He means why are they underground,” Kayla clarified. “And you know that’s what he meant.”

“Perhaps,” I said slyly. Kayla glared at me, and I held up my hands. “Alright, alright. So here’s the information I have. The very first scenario in Pittsburgh was a zombie apocalypse situation. Undead were dropped into some of the most populated areas, including government facilities, and it spread out from there. Now, Pittsburgh is a really good place to contain that kind of thing, and they squashed it in just under two days. Horrible, of course, and very stressful, but I bet you can guess what happened next.”

“The administrators didn’t take kindly to that?” Jeff deduced.

“Yeah, you got it,” I confirmed. “This was supposed to be a big event for Klastrus, the admin here, with a lot of drama. You know how basically every zombie show or movie goes. Lots of tears, having to kill your loved ones who are infected, the list goes on. So when it barely decimated the population, they got mad.”

“Decimated?” Kayla asked, wrinkling her nose. “How big of a population did Pittsburgh have?”

“About 300,000, and I’m using decimated in its literal, historical meaning. Roughly 30,000 succumbed to the zombie virus outbreak before it was contained.”

“If there’s still 270,000 people left, then where are they?” Jamie asked, gesturing towards the darkness. “That’s not exactly a small group.”

“Very true, and this next scenario really only involves Pittsburgh and not the greater area around it,” I explained. “After the first scenario finished, the people here only had a day to pack up everything they wanted to take with them because the city was disappearing. Not a lot of them took this seriously, because they couldn’t imagine a city actually disappearing, but they were kicked out when their time was up. Like getting popped away from a safe zone.”

“And that’s when the buildings went missing?” Kayla asked.

“Yup. So now they’re all over the place. Oakmont, Robinson, Ross. A good chunk of people started to go to Centralia in order to stay warm because they rightfully assumed that the fire burning there would still be going.”

“That sounds familiar, but I can’t quite place where I know it from,” Jeff said, crossing his arms.

“Underground coal mine that lit on fire, but that’s really far away and we won’t be getting into that,” I replied. “There are people who have come to liberate the city, but the scenario hasn’t started yet. They know that we can jumpstart it, but they haven’t because they’re still mulling it over. Since we’re here, we’re going to make that decision for them.”

“And how are we going to do that?” Jamie asked.

“By making a trip to the Chamber of Commerce Building. The DMV, specifically,” I answered. “Once that building is liberated, which is also one of the first ones we’ll come across, then we’ll have access to creating a guild. Everyone else will, too, but we’ll get a bonus for being the first. And that’s what the scenario is going to be all about.”

“Guilds? Like in an MMORPG?”

“Yes, like in an MMORPG,” I said, trying to hide my smirk. Jamie played a lot of things close to her chest, but she let some of her interests slip every now and again. This might have been a new record. “People will receive a notification that guilds are available and the scenario started, and that will get those on the outskirts of Pittsburgh to come back. Well, those adventurous enough to do so.”

“Speaking of coming back, can we go back inside?” Jeff asked. He had started to shiver. “It’s really cold out here.”

“Of course, head on in there, man,” I said, and he hustled inside. We followed him and I closed the door before continuing. “So it’s not really player versus player, but it’s set up in a very similar way. Guilds will get points by liberating buildings, which elevates the team and provides bonuses. The better you do, the more bonuses you get, and the whole point of the scenario is to be at the top when it’s done.”

“What do you get at the top?” Jeff asked.

“Everyone who’s joined your guild gets labeled as an MVP, a lot of points, and you get to keep the guild bonuses even if you leave Pittsburgh so long as you claim a safe zone that you own as your hall.”

“Which makes the Angel Express perfect,” Kayla said, immediately understanding. “That’s our guild hall, then?”

“Yes ma’am,” I confirmed with a grin. “We’ll be able to claim the train as ours, but everyone else that’s not so lucky will be using the Commerce building for the time being, provided they can afford to start a guild. They’ll have to pool their points, but I’m all set, so no worries there.”

“How many points does it take?”

“5,000, but we’re all set.”

“That’s… really a lot,” Jeff winced. “If there’s no monsters, then how are they supposed to get points? Can they liberate buildings without being a part of the guild?”

“They can’t send buildings back up to the surface, no, but there are monsters out there,” I answered. “Just not a lot of them yet.”

Jamie was the first to ask. “That’s why you said there’s a zombie apocalypse still going on, isn’t it?”

I pointed at her. “Got it in one. There are several cemeteries in Pittsburgh, and they will all turn into giant pits once the scenario starts. It’ll be a steady trickle at first as people get set up, but as the scenario goes on there’ll be more and more coming out, and they’ll start becoming more powerful. The admins are going to reuse assets, which is really lazy if you ask me. Zombies that emerge and are killed will disappear and come back later.”

“Is there a way to stop that?” Jamie asked.

“Not immediately; it’ll keep going until the end of the scenario,” I answered. “There’s no buildings to liberate or events to complete that will slow things down before then.”

“And what’s the end game here?” Kayla asked, crossing her arms. “What’s going to happen at the end?”

I looked down at Kayla, my eyes meeting hers for a second before I shrugged. “Can’t tell you,” I said. “From what I understand, the buildings under the city are all twisted up. They aren’t going to be directly underneath where they originally were, but spread out. Sara, it’s like they’re forming a seal, right?”

Even though I asked, it was mostly for show since Jamie was in the dark about my knowledge as a regressor. Still, I received an answer.

[[Patron Message]]

You already know the answer is yes, and the monster underneath it all hasn’t changed from the stories you told me.

I am worried that Kayla and Jeff’s inclusion will make it wake up faster, though. Two extra bodies when it’s normally just you, Jamie, and your third may make things go by too quickly. You may want to consider putting them on cemetery duty.

Sincerely,

Sara

“That is excellent advice, Sara,” I said with a nod. “Something slumbering beneath, undead will become more powerful as the seal is dismantled, etc. She is worried that we may be going too quickly with four of us, however. The harder dungeons are going to be deeper, and that’s where Jamie and I are mostly going to be operating out of, but for you two, I may keep you on the surface or near the surface in the first layer of the underground.”

“We can handle ourselves deeper,” Jeff huffed, seemingly offended by the implication.

“Sure, I’ll be happy to let you take Kayla down to a place that either of us will struggle in,” I sarcastically replied. He looked ready to fight me on this more before thinking about it, and I saw him deflate a little. Reaching up, I put a hand on his shoulder. “Nothing against you and Kayla, but there’s an order to things. She needs to learn, and I think she’s better off in a position as the guild face than as a frontline fighter.”

“For the record, I’m not offended by this at all,” Kayla said. “After all, being the face of the party is a big part of my class.”

“What is your class?” Jamie asked, tilting her head. “You didn’t say during our introduction.”

Kayla gave me a sidelong look, and I nodded. “I’m a Double Agent,” she answered. “Kind of a mix between a Bard and Rogue, and it lets me change my appearance.”

To demonstrate, she activated Part Of The Crowd and changed her form. Where the short, pale librarian stood was a carbon copy of the fairy Tractor was. Kayla appeared to be flitting in the air on orange butterfly wings and was only a foot or so tall. Anyone reaching out to touch her would immediately feel her real body as it was only an illusion at this early level, but it was definitely passable. Once Jamie nodded, the Double Agent dropped the ability.

“That said, I was hoping that you could teach her a thing or two, Jamie,” I said.

The Weapon Master twitched, but her face was impeccably neutral. “Is that a part of my job description?” she asked.

“Only if you want to.”

“Then I’ll think about it,” Jamie said politely.

“That’s fair. You should go get ready, then. We’ll leave once you get back.”

With a nod, Jamie started heading back to the train. She jumped up onto the platform instead of walking to the stairs, and soon disappeared inside.

“She’s a real firecracker, isn’t she?” Jeff sarcastically asked.

“Jamie isn’t really good with people,” I answered with a chuckle. “She’ll open up in her own time, and she won’t cause trouble unless there’s a reason for it. I just ask that you be patient with her. Should be easier than getting along with Ashley, at least.”

“Nah, Ashley’s fine,” he claimed, waving his hand. “A little abrasive, complains a lot, but we know she means well.”

“A bit taxing, but very handy,” Kayla agreed.

“Great, glad to know you two are already making friends,” I said with a nod. They had done that in Etson, too, and even wormed their way into the Dunbar Runners’ good graces back in Atlanta. If anything, they were well suited for the task of guild face, and I appreciated that. “Any questions before she gets back?”

“Yeah, what’s sealed underneath Pittsburgh?” she asked immediately.

“Nothing that you’ll have to deal with,” I answered honestly. “That’s going to be up to me, Jamie, and a kid we pick up along the way.”

“A kid kid?” Jeff interjected. “Or like a ‘everyone is young because I’ve been doing this forever’ kind of kid?”

I smirked. “About eighteen or so. Still an adult, and he’ll be the most taxing out of everyone here.”

“Teenagers,” Kayla said. “We can deal with that.”

“What are you going to name the guild?” Jeff asked.

“I have a few names, but I think I’ll go with a new one. Just have to run them by my Patron later,” I said as Jamie walked out of the train. She was covered in her plastic armor, and as always there was an entire arsenal strapped to her.

“Alright, well, good luck out there, boss,” Jeff said, clapping me on the shoulder before heading back to the train.

“Be safe, psychic boy,” Kayla added, following after him.

“Oh, before you go Kayla, could you Fae Step?” I asked suddenly. “I got a skill that lets me copy other skills I’ve seen activated.”

The Double Agent stopped, turned around, and nodded. Once she turned back towards the train, she disappeared from sight and appeared just behind her husband. I mentally activated Skill Mimicry.

[[Notice]]

Fae Step has been copied. You can now use Fae Step once per day.

[[Skill]]

Fae Step

Teleport an amount of feet up to your Dexterity stat once per day. This ability requires line of sight and effect in order to work.

Nodding to myself as I swiped away the notifications, I watched as the Mills both said goodbye to Jamie only to get a curt nod back, and I grinned at her when she stopped in front of me. “Ready to go to the DMV of the Dead?”

The Weapon Master frowned, but nodded. “I suppose so. Let’s go.”

1