Chapter 146
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rexxel’s Bank, Pittsburgh - 2:55 PM

Thankfully, the destruction of the skyscraper stalled the liberation long enough that I could harvest the Pharaoh for parts. I managed to saw off his head, front claws, and his remaining wing before the building was returned to the surface. Each piece was sitting in my now almost full inventory. I had nearly emptied it out just for this, and it was worth it.

Even though the Pharaoh’s monster parts wouldn’t be as potent as a live Dragon’s, they were still incredibly useful. That was one problem with harvesting from an undead; necromancy made the quality of the ingredients you could harvest worse depending on how long it had been.

Fortunately, an undead Dragon was still a Dragon, and their parts wouldn’t generally be available until much later.

I looked at the streets of Pittsburgh now that I was back on the surface. The fog had disappeared, but everything was still covered by the bleakness of winter. I could clearly see the Guild of Guilds a few blocks away and the new auction house across the river to the southeast. Nobody else had liberated any buildings from downtown, but that was to be expected.

There were a lot more people around than before, and hundreds of them loitered around the Guild of Guilds. At this point, there would be a handful of organizations sprouting up as people pooled their resources to afford the 5,000 point start up fee. They would soon learn that a guild could only have 10 members per rank, which left a lot of people out in the cold when they tried to buy their way into some of the larger ones.

I shook my head at the thought of it. There had been times when I joined large guilds early on. They were great for getting points very quickly, but the vast majority of their members weren’t good for anything other than liberating dungeons that ranged between 1 to 3 Guild Points a pop.

While they had numbers on their side, navigating the maze that was the Pitt meant that they didn’t gain as much as they thought they could. The best thing to do, which I learned from several years of experience, was to go in hard and fast with people who could clear dungeons worth 30 Guild Points or more. Jamie and I had always been enough once I got my directions down, and I still had one more fighter to recruit down the line.

It didn’t take long, and I saw people already starting to head this way. Turning around, I looked up at the new building. The 55 floor skyscraper now had the name Rexxel on top of it in giant letters that could be seen from miles around. If there was ever a signal for people in the areas around Pittsburgh to come back, this was it.

I walked inside and checked out the lobby. There were several places to sit and have conversations in the center of the large room. For those looking for more privacy, several rooms also lined the walls. They were surprisingly large for what they held within, which were a few chairs and a large device that looked and functioned like an ATM.

People interacting with one would be asked if they wanted to open an account with Rexxel’s Bank. Several options would be offered, such as one that would let them gain interest on points not unlike a savings account or take out a loan. The selection of services would expand as the bank became more popular, but forward thinkers would see the value it provided now.

Once the automatic doors closed behind me, a Kobold bundled up in a thick, white suit approached from the elevators on the other side of the building. He appeared nervous as he looked around the lobby, adjusting his circular, gold rimmed glasses before walking down the carpet towards me.

I knew that this was Rexxel, the Kobold banker. Just like Kail, Medi, and Tsae back in the Guild of Guilds, he was not an administrator but a monster placed here to act as an NPC. The auction house would have one to run the events there, and others could be found in various buildings that hadn't been liberated yet.

Unlike the Kobolds back in Etson, this one was of the reptilian variety. His black scales reflected the light like obsidian, and he nervously adjusted his tie as he saw me staring him down. Red eyes stared into mine with apprehension while his thick tail swished against the plush carpet. All in all, he reminded me of an anthropomorphic newt with a big, rounded head. He stopped in front of me and bowed.

“Welcome to the bank, sir. I am Rexxel, owner of this establishment,” he said nervously. His voice was high pitched but not unpleasant. “As an honored VIP, I would like to invite you to your vault on the top floor.”

“Please, Anthony is fine,” I replied. “Thank you for your welcome.”

“Of course, sir,” Rexxel said, not calling me by name as he glanced behind me.

“Something wrong?” I asked, trying to sound like I didn't already know the answer.

The Kobold’s eyes went wide as I asked before he vigorously started shaking his head. “Nothing to worry about, sir. Would you like to come visit your vault and obtain your prize?”

I gave him a warm smile. “Sure, Rexxel. Why don’t you lead the way.”

Bowing again, the Kobold motioned for me to follow him, and I did. Despite his fine attire, his feet were completely uncovered. I could see that he was careful with his claws on the carpet, too. He continued to fidget with his tie. As we entered the elevator and I turned around to face the entrance, the first person walked through to carefully look around. The doors closed just as I locked eyes with the stranger.

Immediately, Rexxel exhaled and seemed to stand up a little straighter. His eyes shifted to me every now and again as the elevator rose. He was still nervous, but I wouldn't hold it against him. I was a player and he was not; under most circumstances, he did not expect me to be civil.

As the numbers slowly counted upwards, the Kobold broke first. “Pardon me, sir, but…”

“Yes, Mr. Rexxel?” I asked, slowly looking down at him.

“Well, you see,” he paused. “Did you… really take care of the Pharaoh all on your own?”

I smiled at him again. “It was very tough, yes, but I did,” I answered honestly. “Had to literally drop a skyscraper on him to do it, though. That wasn’t easy, let me tell you.”

Rexxel continued to regard me for a few seconds before nodding. “It must have been hard, sir,” he finally said. “But, the reward is well worth it. You won’t have to share with your guild unless you want to.”

“I’m fairly content with most of what I have, though I’ll look through it for sure,” I told him.

“Of course, sir,” he said, sounding dubious at my claim but not willing to challenge me on it. “Your prize, the vault, is where you met the Pharaoh. Aside from myself, you are the only one who has access to it. You may designate others to have this same privilege, such as your guildmates, or you may simply hoard it away. I may also take care of some things for you, such as your dealings at the auction house, which has also been recently liberated by a member of your organization.”

The elevator chimed as it came to a stop, and the doors opened to show me the boss room where I first encountered the Pharaoh. While it had been mostly empty except for the huge sarcophagus and puzzle before, it now stood full of treasure.

In the center of the room was the undamaged sarcophagus, sitting there as if a Dragon hadn’t burst out of it not too long ago. Gold items from coins to vases, weapons, armor, and jewelry littered the floor all over except for a very small area right in front of the elevator and a path around the room. The platforms making up the different floors in the back were filled with rolls of parchments, books, and bottles.

I remembered the first time I saw the contents of the vault. The thrill of it all was no longer the same, but I still felt giddy. All of this would fetch me a lot of points that would go a long way.

“Sir, your Patron is asking me about different packages we offer here,” Rexxel informed me, snapping me out of my thoughts. “Normally, I wouldn’t shun a Patron, but… well, as a very important VIP for the bank, you do get special treatment. Would you like to take a look around or get straight to business?”

“I’ll be okay on my own,” I told him as I stepped into the room. “However, any package she wants, I would like to join in. Separately, of course, as a VIP.”

Rexxel bristled when I glanced back at him, but I just grinned. Sara knew exactly what I wanted from this place. It was something we had talked about at great length before. It was something I could only get by meeting the Kobold face to face. If I hadn't become a VIP, I would have been stuck with the same kind of mostly okay deals as everyone else.

What I wanted was a Platinum Patron’s Package. It was the best way to get a lot of points gradually over the course of the rest of the run. While most player packages gained interest when scenarios finished, those who could afford more could get more lucrative returns. As the saying went, the rich get richer.

A Platinum Patron’s Package was set up so that they would accrue interest whenever their Avatar completed quests, finished scenarios, or gained another accolade on their MVP Token. Not all at the same rate, of course. Since they were so common, Patron quests were worth less than their natural and scenario counterparts. Quests were worth less than finishing scenarios, and even that was worth less than getting recognized as an MVP.

“Your Patron has requested a Platinum Patron’s Package, sir,” he said slowly, and I nodded. “I’m afraid I must inform you that the lowest possible balance for opening an account with us at that level is 100,000 points, and you need an Avatar to do so.”

Snapping open my menu, I navigated to my status screen and smiled when I saw my point total. Just barely made it. “I’ve got 100,785,” I told him. “And you don’t need an Avatar. The contract that must be signed stipulates that a player must be designated and it requires their consent, yes, but it doesn’t specify Avatar. I can designate myself just fine.”

Rexxel stared at me, mouth slightly agape, before his eyes shifted to read a screen in front of him. “As you wish, sir,” he said, voice cracking slightly from his surprise. “I will handle this in my office. When you are done here, please come down to floor 49 to discuss further.”

“I’ll let my Patron negotiate on my behalf,” I said. I trusted Sara, and it would save me a lot of trouble. “Once you’d like the points so that I can open the account, please send me a message. Oh, I’d also like an ATM for our guild hall. I can deposit them through that, if you prefer.”

The Kobold wiped his forehead like he was dabbing sweat but nodded and began fiddling with his tie again. “As you wish, sir. I’ll see what I can do.”

“Thanks, Mr. Rexxel. You’re the best.”

With another bow, the Kobold hit a button on the elevator and the doors closed behind him. I turned to face the room, giving it one more look through before heading to the sarcophagus.

[[Patron Message]]

I appreciate how much trust you have in me, but I wasn’t expecting to take care of your negotiations today. Not that I mind, I would have just liked a head’s up.

Also, getting a Platinum Patron’s Package will drain me of most of my resources. It’s completely worth it, I know, but we’ll have to start almost from scratch. I just wanted to let you know that things will be a little sparse after this. You still have another quest I can give you today which will help me refill the coffers so to speak, but I felt as though a warning was in order.

Sincerely,

Sara

“Sorry, Sara,” I said with an apologetic smile. “He mentioned you and it just kind of clicked. It’ll save me hours of time if you handle it, you know? I may be a VIP, but you’re an actual Patron and that carries more weight no matter what I say. Feel free to negotiate however you want, though. Rexxel’s completely trustworthy, and he even figured out I’m a regressor once or twice. Still kept confidentiality even then.”

[[Patron Message]]

It’s okay. I’m happy to help, really.

This will be my last casual message for a while, then. I’ll let you know when the negotiations are complete. Until then, please stay safe. For me.

Sincerely,

Sara

“I will, thank you,” I said to the sky before putting my hands on the sarcophagus.

It pushed open easily, revealing the spoils from the Pharaoh fight. A black skill book and a bona-fide Dragon’s egg sat inside, exactly what I expected. It was about the size of my head and covered in gold, triangular scales for protection. 

Now that I had seen my prizes, I snapped open my menu to see those guild notifications I had ignored after the boss battle.

[[Guild Notice]]

Guildmaster [Anthony Franklin] has liberated [Rexxel’s Bank].

Sol Ligatus has gained 100 Guild Points. You may rank up the guild in the guildhall.

[[Guild Rank Up!]]

Deputy Guildmaster [Kayla Mills] has ranked up the guild in your stead. Sol Ligatus is now at rank 4!

Rewards: the guildmaster may send guild-wide notices to all members by spending points, a notice board has appeared in the guildhall’s common space, the [Dining Car].

Collect 100 Guild Points to increase your rank and gain more rewards. Sol Ligatus currently has 55 Guild Points.

I wasted no time navigating to the screen where I could send notices. It wasn’t cheap; the first one cost 100 points and they became more expensive before rolling back down to the original price the next day. Still, I happily paid for it. After typing up the message and hitting send, a text box appeared before me.

[[Guild Notice]]

Hello, everyone! This is your guildmaster speaking to you live from his very own treasure vault located at the top of Rexxel’s Bank.

This is an open invitation to everyone in Sol Ligatus to come and get free shit. Three items per person because we’re selling the rest at auction, but if you want to buy more from me after that then feel free. I won’t feel bad, I promise you that.

Also, I have stuff to hand out.

I notice that Ashley hasn’t joined yet, but if that’s because she’s still sleeping then wake her up. She’s going to want to come down here for this because there’s stuff for crafting classes as well.

Once again, come on down to Rexxel’s Bank for free shit. You literally can’t miss it. Head straight to the elevator and come on up, I’ll set entry to Guild so you don’t have to bother waiting for me.

Guildmaster Anthony Franklin, signing off.

Since I didn’t want to spam myself with messages, I turned off the option to receive notices sent by the guildmaster. Next, I changed the privacy settings of the vault to Guild so that everyone that needed to could come in.

Once I was all set, I picked up the black skill book with a grin. This one put all the others I received in the dungeon to shame.

1