3. All men are courageous before someone they want to protect
469 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

SCRIEEE!

Though it screeched like a giant bird. I saw its true form under the moonlight.

Its body belonged to a Puma, the head of a Goat, Talons from some sort of black-scaled lizard, barbed tail, horns of a bull, and the head of a Wolf and Panther.

Is that Chimera? I don’t know. It’s a patched up creation. Sewn together by magic, that’s a chimera right? So it must be one.

I have never met one. I only know about such a beast because it was one in the Military’s Guide Book. A book written by those who crossed the EYE with the monsters.

I know the theory of how to kill one. But—

“That’s only for normal chimeras. The Goat-Snake-Lion combo. Not this Cat-Dog black chicken variant! I didn’t even know there were different kinds of Chimera! Until today!” 

“Hmm? Daddy, please don’t be noi—Gyaaah! Daddy there’s a giant rat with wings who wants to take Ela away! Run away Daddy! Run away!” Ela woke up and immediately advised me of the obvious. She’s loud but sensible enough to know we’re not going to make it fighting such a creature.

“Ugh, Ela… Ela… you’re choking me.”

“Ah, sorry Ela was scare—Daddy!!” 

A quick look to confirm how we’re going to die. The beast’s eyes glowed with brutality.

“SCRIEEEE!!”

It screeched as it plunged from the skies towards us.

“Daddy! It’s coming!”

“SHITTTTTTTTTT!!!”

I too screeched.

Boom!

The trees were uprooted as the creature dive bombed Ela and I. It ignored everything that got in its way like they were decorative ornaments. The trees were uprooted and flung aside like the world around it was made of blocks.

 The skies shook when it flapped its wings and soar to the skies and the earth was upheaved when it descended.

This is the third time it repeated this maneuver and finally, after avoiding it for so long, it had caught me.

My footing gave away with the land and I lost my balance. 

I covered Ela to the best of my abilities. I didn’t even think and just hugged her tightly. Supporting her head. Protecting her body.

After rolling like a cheese wheel my back hit a tree, “GAH!” 

“Daddy!”

“I’m alright, I’m alright, don’t worry.”

I was not okay.

I had cuts all over my body. Maybe a cracked rib or two. 

I hope to God my spine isn’t damaged.

‘Can I move my legs still? Whoo! I’m not crippled!’ I was so happy I threw my arms in the air, ‘I can still walk! That means I can still run. We need to escap—’

The air changed completely as a low grumble pass the trees.

Grrrr~

A low hum of terror, encroaching at the back of its prey’s psyche. A primal feeling knowing to all as fear.

The devilish beast approach got ever so close. Five meters away it stood. A beast that could have only been born in hell. Its heads salivating at the sight of two preys, lusting at the scent of their blood.

The sound of the ground crumbling with every step of its thick and robust legs, the guttural growl that reverberates from its maws, wind howling at the flap of its wings, the snapping of its barbed-like tail. All of these compiled a somber overture to the coming end. To the feast of blood and gore.

The sound of my heart was deafening. So deafening that it would not be far-fetched for me to die from a heart attack before the beast could bite and crush my neck. I was shaking when I got up.

“Da…Daddy… its coming.” She was shaking. Tears welling up from her eyes as she instinctively reached out to hold my arm.

I was facing the same danger as her. My life was also endangered. 

Her words kept my feet from giving away. I do not know my role in this world. Neither do I understand anything. But, I feel the beat of my heart driving me forward to do one thing.

To hear the fear behind those words was like a reminder of an austere whisper from beyond the void.

To protect her.

To protect this little girl. To keep her safe from harm.

Even I, a person inhibiting this foreign vessel could feel its staunch desire to protect his daughter as though it had been carved in my soul. 

“Don’t worry Ela. It will be fine.” as though I had done it countless times, I reached to her little head. Brushing her hair ever so gently, I smiled in her direction, “I’ll protect you.”

I brush her dainty hands off, “Slowly walk back Ela. Daddy needs space.”

The beast’s eyes were now on me and only me. Did my change of attitude startle it? Good. Look only at me.

Fear has my rationality scream at me to run away. To leave behind the girl I had no true connection to. To abandon her so that I could live.

But I refuse.

‘Fear has not found my heart.’

It had not swayed my desires. 

No, for it had done the opposite.

‘I guess I am still young at heart.’

Before I was broken.

I once had a ridiculous dream.

I speak of it as though it was 

Once I wish to become someone renowned in the world for his righteous actions. Far away from the influence of a family that had its name etched in the history of the world’s underbelly.

I can barely contain my laughter for such a young passion to once again be reignited. A snicker escaped me as I remembered a long adage spoken by our strict Drill Sergeants—

[A man does not grow up from being a boy. We just learn how to act as adults.]

Holding up a knife horizontally in front of my chest. I lowered my stance as a smile emerged from my sweating face.

“Truly still a boy.”

I still wanted to be that man basking in the light of righteousness.

So I took arms. 

Even though it had been years since I last fought. So long since I even felt it coursing through my veins. I don’t even know if this body could handle it. But, there was no longer any time to waste. There was no time to test anything, nor was there any time for me to doubt myself.

The beast will not allow me to scheme and strategize or prepare. It may have paused its approach at the sight of my sudden change. But it will once again pounce when I show a moment’s sign of weakness.

I stopped questioning myself. My skills and my worth.

I only need to react and to fight.

So I steeled my resolve.

Steeled my heart.

Took a deep breath and announced to the world, “COME!”

SCRIEEEEEEE!!

It accepted my challenge the very next second.

Thanks for reading still!

I hope you like this one!

Did you have a good day?

Well, how do you like the MC? Hopefully its positive. If not, well, I hope that change in the future chapters.

Though it is on the more action--y kind of spectrum. But I hope you still enjoy it.

Welp, see you on the next chapter. I'll try to write faster next time!

21