10. Alliance
329 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I practically knew nothing about Selena. She was as much as an enigma. I saw her eyes beginning to lose their light but returned to normal a second later.

“I have misread your intentions. I apologize for my rash actions.”

“I–it’s fine.” 

“I will untie you now.” She said as she reached over to where my left hands was. Which put me udder—I mean under a predictable predicament, “Stop fidgeting, you’re making this harder than it should.”

‘I’m trying to preserve your honor, you nitwit. And I don’t want this to be used against me.’ I didn’t want to give her any ammunition against me. This might be a trap for all I know, “Why not just cut it with the knife? That would be so much easier to do.”

I wanted it to be over as fast as possible.

“This is the property of the Hospital. Funded by the citizens, I will not cause any undue harm or damage to anything that does not require it.” she retorted as she clumsily tried to untie my arms free.

It became deafeningly quiet in the room. She did not say anything nor did I comment on what just happened. Why should I pursue the matter where I am already acquitted? That would be the true equivalent of digging my own grave.

But as my eyes tried their hardest to avoid even grazing into the forbidden territory, I saw her face. Though only a little, I could see her eyes. Now clear unlike before, 

‘Is she some sort of automaton?’ It was baffling how she could show one emotion and move on to the next. It was like she overhauled her thoughts in one moment before moving on. A reset one might say. 

It made me both amazed and afraid. But against it all, I was also curious. So curious that I could not stop myself from asking, “Are you okay?”

She froze as she was untying the bedsheet. She looked down at me and I met a pair of cold eyes.

‘Fuck! See, this is what I’m talking about!’

“Are you trying to pry into my psyche, Devil?” she commented with a quick glare.

Well, for a penny, “I told you, I’m not a devil.” I mused knowing my predicament. 

Can’t get any worse than this. Was what I thought.

“But, you were partly one. Right? You claimed that you were afflicted by a poison that partially made you one.” she retorted before going back to fumble untying the bedsheet.

“If a man is to catch a disease from an animal. Does that make them unworthy of being human? Just like how clumsily untying something you have done automatically makes you an idiot for not seeing hindsight—ack.”

She hit me on the side with her knee. I saw her glare at me before answering begrudgingly,  “...no.” 

“Then that means, I am as much a  human as you. So stop calling me a Devil.”

Fwu!

She quickly sat upright as I made my last point. I looked at her and she looked at me. I felt my heart beating wildly again, “Spare me?” I quickly tried begging for mercy.

“What are you talking about? More importantly, if you are not a Devil. What should I call you?” 

“Can’t I just be Alexander?” I answered as I sighed with relief that she wasn’t angry.

Selena entered a deep thought before shaking her head, “But you are not Alexander. He may be a part of you. But you are not him. And your left hand’s been freed. Untie the other one yourself.”

“Fine, I’ll do i—I can’t do it. I’m right handed and it’s too tight.”

A condescending look befell my place. But against her degrading looks, she still offered help little ol’ me… but she leaned over me again! But I didn’t say anything else and just kept my mouth shut.

Going back to what she just said about me not being Alexander.

I see her words as fair. No, she’s absolutely right. I’m not Alexander. And I don’t think I ever will be even if I gained all of his memories. He and I were too different of a person. Who would be so much of a maniac to just live knowing you have taken over someone else’s identity without feeling a hint of remorse or guilt?

I would never be him. 

But I needed to be Alexander. Not everyone could be as calculated and understanding as Selena. I don’t know much, but from what I heard, Devil Worshipers were seen as revered people of the upright path.

‘If people learned that I took over Alexander’s body using Devil Ritual. Even if I can be considered a victim due to circumstances. I doubt they’d be so understanding of my plight. Whatsmore, it might even have an effect on Elaine’s growth.’

So, I needed a name in this world. Something that would retain my identity but good enough to be acknowledged by Alexander’s only friend, “How about Alex?”

“Alex?” 

“I am only partially Alexander. This should be enough, right?”

Selena thought about it, considered it, and accepted, “Acceptable. Oh and I untied you now. You should be able to untie the one on your legs, right?”

“Yes, but I need you to do something for me first.”

Her brows furrowed in irritation. Was untying it so hard? Well, from her expression, it was,  “Don’t tell me you are incapable of even doing something so simple?” 

She looked like she would rather fight someone than to do it again. Well, I wasn’t going to ask her about such things in the first place, “No, what I mean to say is that. Please remember where you are sitting.”

“Oh.” she looked down and finally remembered she was sitting on my chest, “Forgive me.”

“It’s fine.” I let out a light laugh, “You’re a bit of an airhead, aren’t you?” 

I merely joked but my neck suddenly had a good time getting to know her right hand. There was no pressure, but the prospect of getting choked to death was enough to make me remember one important thing, ‘I’m not Alexander.’

I wasn’t her friend, “I take back every negative thing that I said or might’ve said… so please I beg you to spare—”

*Ding*

“Countess! I heard you fought again int the Hospital! How many times did I tell you to not do something like th—oh….” A big and hairy gentleman wearing a labcoat stopped as he was about to step out of the elevator.

It was Doctor Wolf holding a medical board. He looked at Selena and then at me. He was silent for a good second and so were we.

When he regained his senses, he only had one thing to say, “Ooooooooohhh—damn.” he then flashed me a smile as he clicked a button and the elevator doors closed.

“No this is not what it looks like!” 

“Why are you making such a fuss? It’s making my ears ring.” Selena complained, “You are incorrigible.” 

She then shook her head in disappointment, “Heh, and here I was thinking you were more level-headed than that considering how much you’ve kept your composure so far. 

Wait, she noticed that as well? Wait, that’s not important right now, “Do you not understand what’s happening!?”

“Of course I do. Why are you acting like that? Is being seen as my partner so bad?”

“N-no, that’s not what I—”

“Hmph, then just let it go.” she waved her hand and told me to not mind the matter.

“Did that not bother you? They’ll be spreading a lot of rumors from now on.”

“A rumor or two does not affect me or you. The truth is all that matters. And you know the truth. If you let every little thing affect you, it will only make your mind clouded with doubt and worry.”

She basically told me to just accept reality. 

If a Countess didn’t think much of it, I didn’t really have much to complain about. Especially when she told me that it wouldn’t affect my life.

“Ugh, fuck it.” I accepted it as my new reality, “If you could get off me now?”

“Okay.”

Selena didn’t leave after that. She continued staying in the room where she spent her time drinking that abominable soda while reading a book.

“Don’t you have something to do? No, don’t you find it repugnant to stay in the room of your friend that’s possessed by a Devil?”

She didn’t even spare me a glance as she gave me an answer, “I do not have much to do. Besides, if I leave now when I occasionally spend a few hours here. Would make others think differently of our relationship. If we want to keep a front of being good friends, I have to stay here for another hour and a half. “

“I think they already have another idea in their heads about our relationship. Wait, did you just say about keeping a front?” My head turned to her so fast that I almost I died right then and there, “Do you mean you’re going to help me 

“Don’t take it the wrong way. I’m not helping YOU. I am helping Alexander. If he summoned you to protect and care for his daughter then that would also be the best way to help Alexander. I have to make sure you are taking care of her well. Which is good as it would also allow me to observe you carefully, Alex.”

“So you’re saying you’re going to be watching over me so that I don’t fuck up?”

“You’re smarter than you act.” For the first time, Selena flashed me a smile. It was a cold smile that acted as a warning telling me to not do anything stupid, “So you better do your job well, okay?”

Thanks for reading :)

17