Interlude 1: That Boundless Blue Sky
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You know, I used to walk out of the open blast doors, before the returning fighters came in to land, then just stand at the edge of the protruding lip, looking up at the pale blue sky.

I can’t see much land because the mountains would block my view, so the sky is the only thing I can look at.

If I leaned forward a bit and looked down, I’d see the tops of the forest not far below. Maybe, if I had laid down on my belly, and reached my hand down as far as it can go, I’d just about be able to pluck a pinecone from the tallest of the trees.

If I took my chances and leaned out a bit more over the abyss, then craned my neck, I’d see the wall towering above me, stretching high into the sky. And if I turned my head to the sides, I’d see the smooth wall curving away from me into the distance.

Once in a while, some birds would fly over. They’d come circling down towards me, and I’d hold my hands out for them to settle on. But when they got close, the wildlife deterrence system would activate, and a blaring horn would scare them away.

Then I’d watch them go, circling away into the sky. The pale, boundless blue sky.

Soon though, I’ll need to step away, because the returning aircraft would be coming in for a landing.

I’d look out over the looming mountains and try to spot the little specks as they crested the peaks. Sometimes I’d see them, and quickly extricate myself from the hangar before the hulking fighters came in to land. Other times I’d miss them and have to run for my life when the roaring of engines became audible.

Sometimes the planes would come back trailing thick columns of smoke, wobbling and shuddering in the air. Other times those planes would run out of luck and slip below the tops of the trees.

Then the blast doors would begin to close slowly, and I’d need to wait until the next time an aircraft returned from a mission to stand in the wind and open air, looking up at the boundless sky again.

They told me off a lot, and sometimes I’d need to mop the floors because of it. But I still stood there and stared at the sky whenever the chance presented itself.

He asked me why I did it so much, and I didn’t know how to answer him.

Maybe I just really like the sky.

Or maybe because it gave me a sense of freedom.

To stand in the open air, and stare at the pale, boundless blue sky.

0