7TH GEAR – TAKE MY HAND AND JOIN THE DARK SIDE
160 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7TH GEAR - TAKE MY HAND AND JOIN THE DARK SIDE

It’s the second day of my school life at Saint Crusade Academy. The first day was kind of eventful, and I don’t plan on having that kind of stressful day once more. I will stick true to my word and never involve myself with mages again.

Or so I thought.

It was a little bit different this time because I woke up much earlier than before. If I caught the early morning train, I will still have one hour allowance. I do not want to be late like yesterday, but I still don’t feel like I’m in a rush.

I was leisurely walking down the road until the sweet breeze of the morning beach air splashed on my face. I looked to the left and saw the beach and the ocean. This is the place where I first met that pink-haired mage that was coincidentally a classmate of mine.

“G-Good morning, Jonathan!” A familiar sweet voice entered my right ear.

When I looked forward, I realized that a pink-haired girl with a cute face and blue eyes was right in front of me!

“Uwaaaaaah!” I shrieked in surprise.

“Waaaaaaaah!” Fluonessia answered with the same tone of astonishment!

“Oh, it’s just you.” I held my racing heart and sighed. “Why are you acting so surprised if you’re going to jump on me!?”

“I didn’t mean to ambush you! I was just trying to greet you but then you shouted! So I got surprised too!” Fluonessia cried.

“We’re fifty-fifty to blame here, so let’s just forget it and move on, okay?” I said.

“Okay!” Fluonessia nodded in confirmation.

I continued to walk forward, and then the pink idiot followed my trail. She still has this innocent stare at me with her sparkling blue eyes. It looks like she is a puppy who is following her master.

“...”

“...”

Finally, Fluonessia broke the silence. Given her energetic personality, I knew that she will break this awkward void between us.

“U-Um, I haven’t thanked you properly yesterday because you instantly vanished. So I am here to say thank you.” Fluonessia bowed.

“Don’t mention it. And that Speed Battle was won because of your efforts. I have little to nothing to do about it.” I answered.

“That’s not true!” Fluonessia pumped her fists and pouted. “If you did not coach me back there, I never would have learned how to enchant my feet with elemental magic! And also! I wouldn’t be able to escape from Captain Tezza’s Lightning Whirlpool!”

Well, she has a point, although enchanting your feet with elemental magic is the most basic of the basics of being a Speedmage. That sudden surge of wind energy is noteworthy of attention though, as I have never seen any Speedmage pour lots of mana in just a single Accel-type spell.

On another note, maybe I completely deserve the praise for the right timing to escape the Lightning Whirlpool.

But in the end, Fluonessia won because she managed to do that almost-impossible acrobatics and Air Trampoline she pulled on at the last second.

“Also…” Fluonessia’s face went bright because of her cute smile. “You taught me how to play a Speed Battle. It was so much fun!”

“So much fun, huh?” I muttered to myself. I stared at the horizon of the beach and let my face bask in the soothing air.

Back when I was a kid, watching Speedmages compete looked like so much fun. I had the same enthusiasm as Fluonessia regarding Speed Battles. Unfortunately, my dream of participating in that kind of sport was immediately shattered when I learned that I cannot use magic.

“I’m just curious.” Fluonessia blocked my path with her face. “You said that you’re not a mage, right? But you seem to know a lot about Speed Battles. Why is that?”

“That’s none of your business.” I evaded her and continued walking.

“O-Oh, sorry. Please forgive me for asking such an insensitive question.” Fluonessia sulked. She must be feeling shameful for intruding too much on my personal matters. Her smile turned to a frown which gives a hint of guilt.

We continued to walk silently for a few seconds when I stopped. I kind of does not want to have a cute girl silently feeling guilty about me. Somehow, I hate the silent Fluonessia more than the noisy Fluonessia.

I gave a deep sigh.

“I wanted to become a Speedmage back when I was a child.”

“Eh?” Fluonessia was shocked when I spoke out of the blue.

“I wanted to become the greatest Speedmage like no one ever was. I watched Speed Battles on the TV ever since I was four. I bought Speedmage Tournament magazines. I collected posters of Speedmage celebrities. I also memorized the spell charts that are usually cast on Speed Battles.”

“Ooooh!” Fluonessia gasped in excitement. “So that explains why you know how to break out of the Lightning Whirlpool easily!”

“I was so addicted to Speed Battles and decided to be one once I grow up. But everybody knows that it’s impossible. I cannot use magic. I’m just a normal person who is confined to achieve only normal dreams.”

Fluonessia just stayed silent. I know I’m being so emotional right now, but that’s how it is. I’m just a sad boy in this happy world. It’s corny and cringe, but at least the pink-haired idiot heard me out.

“I know that feeling. The feeling of helplessness and powerlessness crumbles your very soul. I have felt it.” Fluonessia muttered.

I looked at her face. I cannot see her eyes because her pink bangs are covering them. She kind of sounds edgy and cool right now. Then her blue eyes peeked and looked at my eyes.

“I’m a loser who is always bad at everything. I’m clumsy and my mind is always a mess, not to mention that some people find me annoying. I may be a mage, but I’m one of those students who sit at the very bottom of the class. My parents are disappointed in me that they wanted an abortion.”

“I-Isn’t it too late for that?” I forcibly smiled.

“W-Well, I’m a shame in their eyes. I have six siblings and all of them are talented in the Eastern Arts of Healing Magic. I’m the litter of the runt, so I am the weakest in terms of magical evocations. All I can cast is an experimental speed spell that crashes me everywhere I go. So in a way, I am much worse than a person that cannot use magic.”

I think she means runt of the litter, but I’ll make a pass on it. Anyway, I have to change to a more positive outlook or else we will be bawling our eyes out and licking each other’s wounds first thing in the morning.

“You’re awesome yesterday. You made an Air Trampoline to beat the captain of the Speedmage club.” I said with a smile.

“O-Oh, that? It was just beginner’s luck! I haven’t cast a spell like that before! Tahahaha!” Fluonessia laughed as she scratched her head in embarrassment.

She may say that it’s beginner’s luck, but I see a potential genius. Creating an Air Trampoline in midair is one thing, but completely maneuvering like an acrobat to use it is another. There’s one in a billion chance if it was really beginner’s luck.

“Anyway, I think you have a future in being a Speedmage. You should join a Speedmage club.”

“R-Really!?” Fluonessia pumped her fists once again and her eyes are sparkling. She looks like a dog who is wagging her tail due to excitement.

“You have my word.” I smiled.

“Awesome! Since you said it, I will aspire to become a Speedmage! I will file my application form first thing in the morning!”

“You mean later because it is still morning.” I made a side remark.

All of a sudden, the blooming Fluonessia lend her hand to me. The sweet breeze of the ocean air made her long pink hair wave. It feels like she is an angel inviting me to a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

“Come, take my hand and join me to the dark side!”

“Pardon?”

“Ah! I mean, take my hand. I will deliver us to the academy in no time!”

My post-traumatic syndrome disorder kicked in. Yesterday, she got us to crash on a dumpster truck. I am not planning on getting scolded by Miss Terror for the second time in a row, but it would be bad if I rejected Fluonessia’s enthusiastic proposal.

“Um, do you know how to press your brakes?”

“Nope!” Fluonessia smiled.

“Then no can do then! I don’t want to be reported in the Students Affairs Office back-to-back!”

“I will be using a safer speed spell this time. You taught me how to use Wind Accel, so that is what I’m going to use.”

Wind Accel is just an enhancement to speed, and it is much much easier to control than that god-knows-what-her experimental speed spell does. Come to think of it, we’re too early to catch the train. It will be counterproductive if we just waste our time waiting for our ride.

“F-Fine then.” I took her hand.

“Awesome! Make sure to hold tight! Wind Accel!”

Fluonessia touched her shoes and a powerful gust of wind swirled around us. Green air gathered on her feet which were overflowing with mana.

At this point, I’m sure that Fluonessia has an exceptional mana capacity. She would be a great Speedmage with that innate ability of hers.

“Fluonessia, taking off!”

Zoom!

We boosted forward with unbelievable speed. She ran through the train tracks, the island-to-island bridge, above the mountains, and finally arrived at the gate of Saint Crusade Academy!

And this time, she finally pulled a brake!

However, her grip on my hand was loose. So the moment she braked, my hand slipped! I was launched to the air, over the Saint Crusade Academy! I am now a living human rocket!

“Ah! Sorry!” Fluonessia cried.

“You’ll pay for this, Fluonessiaaaaaaa!” I yelled as I soared to the skies.

6