9TH GEAR – I DON’T PLAY HARD TO GET!
148 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

9TH GEAR - I DON’T PLAY HARD TO GET!

The next day, I was almost surprised that nobody was there to greet me on the beachside. Great. No wild pink idiot on the wild, that means I can commute like a normal person and not subject myself to flying towards garbage dumpsters or academy swimming pools.

I commuted by train and arrived at the school like a real normal student would. That’s a sweet fresh morning for a third day.

When I arrived at the classroom, I saw several students flocking over the side. They are all talking to Fluonessia who is celebrating with a piece of paper.

“Tadaaa! I finally filled out the Speedmage Club application form!” Fluonessia celebrated.

“Oooh! So you are joining a Speedmage Club!” One of the girls asked.

“I heard that you beat one of the Speedmage Captains!” The other girl said.

“Tahaha! That’s just beginner’s luck.” Fluonessia scratched her head in embarrassment.

“So, what Speedmage Club would you want to join?” The third girl questioned.

“I’m going to join Merry Knights!” Fluonessia answered with enthusiasm.

“Eeeeh? Isn’t it like, the weakest Speedmage Club?”

“Yeah, I heard they will disband if they did not gather enough members for this year!”

“You better be joining Cool Escape Guild. Or maybe try your luck in the Eaglecrest!”

“W-Well, only the Merry Knights has given me the invitation, sooo…” Fluonessia scratched her head with a dumb smile on her face.

The senseless chatter continued, and I almost heard all of it when I sat in my seat, which is right behind Fluonessia’s. The pink-haired girl immediately noticed me and greeted me with an ever-bright beam.

“Good morning, Jonathan! I’m sorry I couldn’t give you a free ride today! I’m kind of excited to submit my application form, so forgive me!” Fluonessia prayed.

“Yeah, yeah, okay,” I said uncaringly. 

I wanted to add that I’m glad that she didn’t offer me a free ride again because I will certainly refuse.

As I laid my face on the desk, I heard the whispers of Fluonessia’s friends talking about me.

“Hey, isn’t that the magicless person who enrolled in the academy?” One girl muttered.

“Yeah. I heard that he only got admitted to this school of mages because of his father who is also a professor of this school.”

“Gross. I never would have thought that even a magicless can step foot in this school.”

“Hey, stop it!”

I was taken aback when somebody shouted and stood for me. When I raised my head, I saw Fluonessia’s back. Her long pink hair swayed as the air from the windows greeted it.

“Huh?” One of the girls gasped.

“Take it back!” Fluonessia angrily said.

“What?”

“I said take it back!” Fluonessia roared.

“What are you talking about?”

“Jonathan is an awesome person! Even if he’s not a mage, he is still kind and friendly! We barely know each other, but he helped me whenever I needed it! So stop talking trash at him and take back your words!”

Fluonessia might have raged in her words, but I find her adorable at this moment. A ditzy soft person like her is not suited to do sermons like these, especially to her fellow girls. It kind of makes her the bad girl here.

“O-Oh, right. We’re just joking, isn’t it?” One of the girls elbowed the other.

“Y-Yes! We’re just joking! Of course, a magicless can still enter this school! Ahahaha!” The other girl said.

“Come on girls, the first period is starting. Let’s go back to our seats!”

As soon as the crowd of girls dispersed from Fluonessia’s seat, the whole classroom became silent. Nobody knew that a cute girl like that would outburst in just a few seconds after hearing hurtful words not even directed at her.

I looked at Fluonessia, who was trembling and red. I think she overdid it.

“I appreciate you lawyering me out, but I don’t mind insults. I’ve been insulted millions of times already just because I’m magicless.” I muttered as I rested my head on my hand.

“B-But they are talking bad things about you! Just because they do not know who you are doesn’t mean that they have the right to insult you! Isn’t it right for me to defend a friend?” Fluonessia said.

Her words penetrated slightly on my chest. Not my heart, but maybe my boob. It’s touching, but I don’t want to express my weakness as a man. Hearing a cute girl refer to me as her friend makes me want to jump for joy because I have never made any friends in my entire life.

I looked towards the window to hide my slightly blushing face.

“F-Fine. Just calm down and sit. The first period is starting already.” I muttered.

Fluonessia nodded like a good girl and sat down. Coincidentally, our English Teacher- Miss Terror has appeared to torture- I mean tutor us all in the morning.

<>

The bell rang from the main tower of the campus, signaling the end of the classes. Most students already went to their peers, talking about the magic clubs they are inspired to join. Some are already talking to the sophomores and seniors who are in charge of the recruitment of various clubs.

And it goes without saying that the fat panda sophomore who recruited us came to our classroom.

“So, have you decided yet?” Our upperclassman and the manager of the Merry Knights Guild; Cruzo Laprazi asked with a smile on his face. As usual, his face is pale white and his eyebags are pure black.

“Yes!” Fluonessia jumped excitedly. She revealed her application form and gave it to our senior. “I will gladly join the Merry Knights Guild! I’ll be in your care from now on!”

“Great!” The panda man then looked at me with an enthusiastic smile. “How about you?”

“Nah.” I lazily answered.

“Gah! But why!?”

“U-Um, well…” Fluonessia interjected and whispered something in Cruzo’s ear. I think I almost heard her saying the word “He’s magicless”, “He might get discriminated against”, and “Can he fill any other position even if he can’t use magic?”

Cruzo nodded and muttered, “All right.” Then, he looked at me with his regained enthusiastic smile. He even gave me a thumbs-up!

“Don’t worry, my little brother! We are just in need of a good position! How about being the coach of Merry Knights?” Cruzo said.

“I’m not your little brother!” I shrieked and then crossed my arms. “Nope! Still don’t wanna.”

“Gah! Rejected again!” Cruzo cried.

“J-Jonathan…” Fluonessia frowned. “D-Don’t you want to fulfill your dreams? To participate in a Speedmage Tournament?”

“That is a dream of mine that was shattered a long time ago, and I have no plans of repairing it. I’m sorry, but I will have to refuse. I’ll be taking my leave now.” I said as I packed my things.

I kind of hate how annoying these two idiots are. Why should I join a Speedmage Club if I’m not a mage? If they made me a coach, what would I feel except envy and jealousy? For sure, I would always think that they are better than me just because I can’t use magic. My pride won’t accept that!

Looking at Speedmages and participating in contests while I stay on one side cheering for them is the least I could do to ease the pain in my heart. It’s tantamount to rubbing salt in a fresh wound.

<>

The next day…

“Good morning, Jonathan!”

“Gaah!” I shrieked.

“Kyaaaaah!” The pink-haired girl was surprised when I yelled.

I was surprised that Fluonessia was at the usual place, which is beachfront. She greeted me early in the morning, and her adorable face might have made my day only if she didn’t surprise me.

“D-Don’t surprise me like that, you idiot!” I yelled.

“I-I’m sorry!” Fluonessia bowed. “You seemed to be lost in thought while you walk so I thought I should wake you up to reality!”

“Haaah.” I sighed. “Welp, are you here to recruit me to your club again? I already said no, and that won’t change no matter what.”

“Ah, no!” Fluonessia energetically shook her head. “I just wanted to apologize to you early in the morning for forcing you to join. I know I’m noisy and annoying, but I won’t force you to do something you don’t like.”

“Good,” I muttered to myself. And then I just remembered another thing why she was here to greet me. “W-Wait, are you going to be my ride again and throw me to a garbage truck or the swimming pool?”

“Y-You still remember that, huh?” Fluonessia said in a sad tone. “N-No. I just wanted to go to class with a friend, that’s all. I know that I will be putting you in a disaster if we run together again, even though I’m suppressing myself to use Wind Accel right now.”

“Good work suppressing your unnecessary urges. At least we can ride the train together like normal people.” I nodded with a smile.

We were walking on the sidewalk peacefully when a loud shout can be heard.

“Uooooooooooooogghhhh!”

Boom! A smoke of dust went flying in our direction!

A wild panda man named Cruzo appeared! And it seems that he just used an Accel-type speed spell to intercept us! He heavily panted like a dog with rabies for four seconds, then he stood tall and pointed at me!

“I get it now, Jonathan Wardenorth! You’re just playing hard-to-get! I will recruit you, no matter what! I will never give up!”

This guy doesn’t get it.

 

5