102ND GEAR – THE ULTIMATE GRAND FINALS
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

102ND GEAR - THE ULTIMATE GRAND FINALS

Right after the Semifinal Match has concluded, Flu and I decided to go to the waiting room and talk to Captain Tezza and Captain Liri. When we arrived, Captain Liri was just sitting on the bench, motionless. She did not move even when she noticed that Flu and I entered the room.

Captain Tezza was the one to talk to us. Her voice seemed shaky and devoid of any confidence. “I’m sorry, Miss Asahime, Coach Wardenorth. That was all we can do. It was a disgraceful match.”

“That’s not true, Captain Tezza!” Flu pumped her fists. “It was a great Speed Battle! You and Captain Liri fought well!”

“You think so? Even with that humiliating defeat, you think we fought valiantly?” Captain Tezza’s face slightly brightened.

“Yes!” Flu energetically nodded. “As long as you did your best, it is a good game!”

“I wish I have the same enthusiasm as you, Fluonessia Asahime.” Captain Tezza bowed. “You know how the audiences booed our Speed Battle.”

“It was not you, Captain. It’s Lilith and Gaylord. The people hate their playstyle more than anything in this Speedmage Tournament.” I said.

All of a sudden, Captain Liri stood up with her towel still on top of her head. She looked at us with her dejected swollen eyes with a hint that she had already cried for her defeat.

“But still, we lost. I wanted to put up at least a better fight, but that is all we can do.” Liri said.

“It’s now up to you, Coach Jonathan Wardenorth.” Tezza tapped my shoulder, in the same manner she tapped it this morning. Then she turned to Flu and tapped her shoulder too. “And you too, Fluonessia Asahime. Avenge us.”

These two Speedmages are still depressed over their defeat, and that is normal. But at least they still have these flames of hope in their eyes. These flames are like torches to pass unto us, and we shall have it lit until the final battle.

“You can count on us.” I clenched my fist and made a pump.

“Ara ara, that’s the spirit.”

My spine went cold as I heard a familiar threatening voice. When I looked back, I saw the witch Lilith Nightshade and her navigator-slash-coach Gaylord Draculus. All of us Saint Crusade Academy students present in this room showed our angry faces upon the entrance of this evil duo.

“Lilith Nightshade!” Flu muttered.

“Congratulations on making it to the Grand Finals, Fluonessia Asahime.” Lilith smiled menacingly. The glint on her gold-and-crimson eyes inflicted fear on our very existence.

However, Flu was not affected. She shifted to a smile and a determined gaze and answered her ultimate rival’s greetings.

“Congratulations to you too, Miss Lilith Nightshade. I hope we both have fun for the Finals tomorrow.”

“Fun? Fun, you say? Kekekekeke!” Lilith Nightshade laughed like a villainous witch. “There is no such thing as fun in the Triangle. It’s either you win or lose. If your description of fun is winning, then I shall take away that fun for you.”

“No, you’re wrong, Lilith,” Flu argued with a confident smile on her face. “Losing can be fun too. I will do my one million percent best to defeat you, and I will show you what is this fun I’m talking about!”

“Hahahaha!” Gaylord laughs in the background. “Do you think losing a Speed Battle is fun? Look at the losers behind you! Look!”

I briefly glanced at Captain Tezza and Captain Liri. They all have this unerasable frown on their faces. They are both looking at the floor, seemingly trying to avert our gazes.

“Do they look like they had fun in our Speed Battle?” Gaylord asked. “Losers can never have fun!”

I clenched my fists. Further humiliating my fellow students of Saint Crusade Academy whom I spent much time working hard and training together makes me want to lash out and punch this homosexual vampire. But I took a deep breath and suppressed my emotions.

“Just like what Flu said, we will defeat you two. And we will show you the fun in Speed Battles even if you lose. Mark my words.” I said as I gave a devilish grin.

“Hmph!” Gaylord crossed his arms. “I guess you two still don’t know your place. Don’t worry, we will inflict absolute despair and wipe off those determined smiles on your faces. Let’s go, Lilith.”

“Byeee~” Lilith waved her hand at us in a slightly seductive and teasing manner.

Well, I don’t know if I even won that argument or not. We’ll just see tomorrow and let our Speedmages talk with their speed spells. But talking back to those enemies who think they are high and mighty gives a huge boost to my ego.

I turned to my girlfriend and looked at her in the eyes.

“Let’s go, Flu. We have one last practice to do.”

“Yes, Coach!” Flu saluted.

<>

The next day… is the day of judgment.

The trumpets roared like an omen. The choir sang like angels of heaven. And the emperor gave a proclamation to start the final stage of the National Speedmage Tournament.

Both Speedmages and navigators are at the viewing deck, doing a final check on our equipment. I already checked my headset with the mic in advance, and I am now doing a final cleanup on Flu’s Speedmage Shoes. After wiping the pair of Minokawa Type-S shoes with a dry towel, I asked Flu to test her mana flow on them.

“Flu, try revving,” I said.

Pink stardusts flowed on and off. Mana flow state is normal, at least to my naked eyes.

“All good to go, Coach!” Flu smiled adorably. Then she hopped to stand up and then raised her hands! “Let’s do this!”

Flu was about to run towards the 1st Checkpoint Tower to take her starting position, but I immediately interrupted her.

“Flu.”

“Eh? What is it, Coach?” Flu asked.

My cheeks went red and I started to scratch it. I mumble some words that I did not imagine I would be saying today.

“Today is the final battle, so it is better if we hype ourselves up. Wanna do ‘that’ chant with me?” I asked.

“Wooaaaaaah!” Flu’s blue eyes sparkled. “Really?”

“Yes.”

“Really really?” Flu excitedly pumped her fists.

“Don’t make me answer thrice. It’s embarrassing already!” I cried.

“Well then!” Flu smiled as she grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the railings. “Let’s do this then! On me! One, two, three!”

“I’m in looooooooove!” , “I’m in loooooooove!” Flu and I shouted together.

“One more!”

“Yes!”

“I’m in looooooove!” , “I’m in loooooooove!”

“One last time!”

“Okay!”

“I’m in looooooooove!” , “I’m in looooooooove!”

After shouting out loud that made our throats run dry, Flu and I looked at each other. Confessing our feelings in front of so many people is darn embarrassing, but it helps ease the constricting nervousness on our chests and remove the doubts in our minds.

“Tahahaha!” Flu chuckled.

“Hahahaha!” I laughed back.

People must be thinking that we are a couple of weirdos right now. Welp, we are.

“It makes your mind at ease, right Coach?” Flu asked.

“Yeah, you’re right. If only I knew that this has a powerful effect on our morale, then we should have done it back during the Regionals.” I said.

“Tahahaha, that’s right!” Flu said. "Maybe we could have even won that tournament!"

"You can say that again." I smiled with a hint of satisfaction.

All of a sudden, my pink-haired idiot changed the expression to a serious one. She still has this smile on her face and a blazing determination and guts in her blue eyes, but I know that she will jump to a different topic.

“Hey, Coach.”

“Yes, Coach here.”

“Do you remember our promise? Once I become the Speedmage Champion, I want you to do a hard favor for me. I will reveal it later, once we beat Lilith... If we beat Lilith.”

“Of course. I will do whatever you request, my adorable Speedmage.” I said with a smile.

“Great!” Flu cheered.

“But for now, focus on becoming the Speedmage Champion. Prez, Cruzo, Professor Azure, Vincent, Tezza, Liri, Levi, and all the other people that helped us attain what we are today are counting on both of us. We shall never let them down. You’re the only one who can beat Lilith.”

“Roger Coach! I will go all out the moment the whistle is blown!” Flu pumped her fists.

“You can do this, Flu. Now run, Flu. Run.”

There was an azure glint in Flu’s eyes as she answered.

“Yes, Coach!”

Flu boosted towards the 1st Checkpoint Tower. Coincidentally, Lilith also went into position just a few seconds after Flu. Right then and there, both Speedmage Finalists had an idle chat.

“Let’s have a good game and try our best, Miss Lilith!” Flu said with a friendly voice.

Lilith did not reply in words. But she replied in actions. Her monochromic eyes glared at Flu’s soul, and her Cheshire cat grin was supposed to give terror. But for some reason, Flu was not affected. Instead, Flu just kept on talking and talking like the chatterbox she is.

“Thank you, Miss Lilith! I never would have made it this far if I never lost that match against you.”

“Ara ara, why is it?” Lilith finally spoke but with a teasing voice.

“The weak failure of a girl was plunged to the bowels of hell, and now she arose like a phoenix. You know, like that anime Flame Wing Man?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Lilith tilted her head in confusion.

“Ah! I should have guessed not. I’m so sorry for talking otaku, tahahaha!” Flu embarrassingly scratched her head while she gave a dry laugh.

“Let’s make it clear.” Lilith’s expression became grim and scary. “This Speed Battle will not be as fun as you think it is. I will break you the second time, so get ready to cry on your defeat.”

“Got it!” Flu giggled. “I’m so excited to see what you have in stock! I mean, seeing you cast new speed spells makes me motivated to have a match with you! Isn’t it so fun?”

“Fun?” Lilith muttered to herself.

The referee went to the 1st Checkpoint Tower which abruptly cut the conversation between the finalists. He raised his hand and readied the whistle.

“This is the Grand Finals of the National Speedmage Tournament! Both Speedmages ready?”

Flu and Lilith nodded.

“On your marks…”

Both Speedmages took their ready positions and revved their respective elemental magic on their shoes.

“Get set…”

I gulped.

“Go!”

Fweeeeeeeeet!

2