106TH GEAR – THE NATIONAL SPEEDMAGE CHAMPION
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

106TH GEAR – THE NATIONAL SPEEDMAGE CHAMPION

This is the climax of everything that we have all been through!

Flu has manifested stardust wings on her head, wrists, and ankles. Pinions of Bravery is an Alternate Reality Magic that is the same as Lilith's Gravity Field. Unlike Gravity Field, however, Pinions of Bravery does not modify the landscape. It only modifies oneself.

Flu was able to float up in the air using her stardust magic. At this instance, while her Alternate Reality Magic is active, she will not be affected by any external factors even with another Alternate Reality Magic at play. Everything that debuffs Flu, like the Shout of Terror or the intense pulling effect of Gravity Field, will be rendered useless.

"I-Impossible!" Lilith cried. "You created an Alternate Reality just by using courage?"

Flu smiled as she bent over and touched the ground. She gazed at the astounded Vampirewolf with her determined sparkling blue eyes.

"Let's zip zap, Miss Lilith! Do you still have enough mana to race?"

Lilith gave a menacing smile for a moment, and then she gritted. "Ara ara, don't underestimate me!"

All of a sudden, Lilith vanished! She has used a Blink Strike to appear at Flu's back, and then readied her claws, but-

Bzzzzt!

Flu was able to react in time to deflect that claw away from her!

"That's just dumb luck!" 

Lilith roared as she teleported once again, this time, on Flu's left rear! She swiped her claws once more, attempting to score one final point, but then Flu was able to deflect it once more!

Bzzzt!

Both Speedmages were repelled against each other because of the magical barriers! Flu was able to react in time to swipe her arm to deflect Lilith's advance!

"Grah!" Lilith cried. She gritted and then raised her head to prepare another Shout of Terror! "Awooooooooooo!"

The howl echoed on the whole Grand Arena. However...

It did not have any effect. Even the audience, the officials, and the other people watching this Speed Battle are no longer affected. Most of the people who covered their ears are confused on why the Shout of Terror is doing nothing on them.

All of a sudden, I saw pink glittery feathers raining around the arena. Are we being protected by Flu's Pinions of Bravery?

"Enough petty tricks, Miss Lilith. Come at me with your full speed!" Flu offered a challenge with a smile.

"You want to lose that badly, huh?!"

Lilith smiled as she locked her gaze toward the Checkpoint Tower. The distance is approximately 350 meters, but Flu is guarding it. It doesn't matter if her opponent is guarding it, she can teleport! All she had to do is to speak the speed spell's name to chant!

"Blink Touch!"

In an instant, Lilith teleported towards the Checkpoint Tower! But as soon as she was about to touch it-

"I won't let you!"

Bzzzzt!

It happened so fast. All I saw is just a single flash of pink squiggly lines straight to the final Checkpoint Tower, and it clashed with the Vampirewolf! Flu was now able to run as fast as a teleportation spell without setting up Chain Trampoline!

Both Speedmages were recoiled once again in opposite directions!

Not giving up, Lilith teleported once again!

Bzzzzt!

She was deflected for the third time!

Lilith once more vanished and then reappeared on Flu's back! She was about to strike the opponent's back, but Flu turned around and deflected her claws away!

Bzzzzzt!

"Grrrr! Why won't you lose!?" Lilith cried.

"Because I have everyone's faith in me! All those people that I have met believed in me for who I am, even though I was a weak clumsy crybaby. Sir Cruzo, Prez, Miss Terror, Captain Tezza, Captain Liri, Vincent Shadowseek, and Coach! They taught me how fun Speed Battles are, and every win and loss made me evolve one step further until I reached who I am today! So, there is no way I would lose!"

"I have my reason to win too! That is why I will never give up until I score a point to settle this battle!" Lilith roared as she boosted forward again!

Black and pink lines continued to clash. The entire Triangle is now an artwork- like a canvas with abstract glowing lines. It was a light show that makes all Speedmage Tournament fans yearn for it. The awesome mana contrails and the exquisite display of spells- these are the fun of witnessing a Speed Battle.

In reality, it is just two Speedmages trying to win the last point to become the Speedmage Champion!

"Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

"Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Both Speedmages shout their hearts out as they clashed one last time! Pink and dark sparks scattered away as both were repelled from each other!

However, just before Lilith was blasted away, she used a short-range teleportation in the final attempt to strike Flu's back!

Flu seemed unaware of the said teleportation, so I have to shout as quickly and as loud as possible! Considering the small window of time and the speech delay, I can only shout with one syllable before this battle is settled!

"Fluuuuuuuuu!"

There was a sudden spark on Flu's overhead. She became aware of the opponent on her back. With a swipe of her foot, she created a Stardust Trampoline and kicked it to make a somersault and completely evade the back assault!

"Huh!?" Lilith muttered.

It was already too late when she realized that Flu has acrobatically gone overhead. She only noticed it when she saw the glowing pink mana of the second Stardust Trampoline which was being used by Flu to walk on air, upside down!

"Yaaaaaaah!"

Flu, with her last ounce of strength, jumped forward and caught the opponent off-guard. She reached out her hand, coating it with the tiny bit of her mana left, and swiped Lilith's back!

A pink magical circle point indicator manifested!

Beep!

Point for Fluonessia!

Fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

The referee raised his hand as soon as he blew the whistle!

"The winner... and the National Speedmage Champion... is Fluonessia Asahime!"

Honk! Honk! Honk!

The trumpets roared signaling the end of the awesome match. And at the same time, the crowd cheered as a sign of satisfaction and excellence! Mages started casting their fireworks spells, and even some used magic to spray confetti and unleash balloons all around the arena.

The emperor, the prime minister, and the other politicians stood up and applauded the birth of the new National Speedmage Champion. Even all other Speedmages who are witnessing this fight, even Professor Comette Azure stood up and gave her respect.

"Phew!" Flu slumped her shoulders as she went back to the viewing deck. Just before I could congratulate her, she became flooded with her die-hard fans, especially the Merry Knights Guild!

"Uwoooooooogh! I knew it! I knew you can do it, Flu! I shall now call you Goddess Fluonessia, the patron deity of determination, guts, and love! Uwoooooooogh!" Cruzo cried. He hasn't realized that a macho man crying for this kind of thing is much more embarrassing.

"Fluuuuu! Fluuuuu! I love you! You did it, you son of a gun! You are the champion! Champion! I want you to be my little sister! Waaaaaaaaaaah!" Ericka is still as useless as ever, even in giving compliments.

"Well done, Fluonessia Asahime. I think I will go easy on you the next school year." Professor Azure said.

The Speedmages coming from Saint Crusade Academy, including from Cool Escape and Eaglecrest flocked to congratulate Flu. Meanwhile, Flu is just being overwhelmed by her fans that all she can do is have her eyes round and wide and her jaws hanging. She never got this level of praise from the crowd before, so I will just let her enjoy it.

I can congratulate her anytime I want anyway, so no need to rush.

"Congratulations, Jonathan-boy." It was a soft but deep voice coming from my side.

When I looked at the source, I saw Duke Gaylord Draculus offering his hand at me. He is also smiling without baring his fangs. He has turned to friendly mode.

"It was all within my expectations. I know that you can surpass me, no, even your father in coaching Speed Battles." Gaylord Draculus said.

"I thought you despise me for being magicless," I smirked.

"It was all just an act. As the most powerful vampire on the planet, I can see all the timelines and futures. I saw you leading Fluonessia-girl into a path that no one has ever made before, and that is to finally show Lilith that Speed Battles are fun."

"So your main purpose is not to become the Speedmage Champion, but to get rid of Lilith's trauma?"

"Exactly." Gaylord scoffed. "But don't misunderstand. We gave it our all in that match. Most importantly, we had fun!"

I looked at Lilith who is just standing right behind Gaylord. She is now back to her old witch form, and her aura is way less ominous than before. Twenty minutes ago, she was giving a killing vibe, but now she seems to look like a kind big sister. She made a satisfied smile and a curtsy. I bowed in response.

"Oh, Miss Lilith!" Flu escaped the crowd of people using her superspeed and went to the witch. She held Lilith's hand and pressed her face forward. "Are you okay now?"

"Ara ara, taking pity on your opponent, are we?"

"You're not my opponent anymore! You are my friend! And my rival! I want to have another Speed Battle with you at a later date!" Flu said.

"Oh... Okay. I will take you up on your challenge. But for now, enjoy your victory as the National Speedmage Champion. I will take that title from you next year." Lilith gave a menacing glare.

"I can't wait for that Speed Battle to happen." Flu matched with a determined stare.

<>

Right after the storm of congratulations and autographs, the officials set up a stage for the closing ceremony of the National Speedmage Tournament. Flu held the grand golden trophy that signifies her reign as the Speedmage Tournament Champion for this year.

Then, we got congratulated by the big shots in politics and the business world. Flu and I got multiple contracts to offer for promotion, even from a company that sells dog shampoo. We had pictures taken and interviews done afterward, and it was made by none other than the ultimate paparazzi Charlotte.

"My name is Heffy! That's way off base, Demon Coach!" Heffy cried.

"Okay, okay. Interview Flu so that we can move on already." I said uncaringly.

"Tsk! Fine!" Heffy groaned as she approached Flu who was in the spotlight.

Unlike the past small interviews, Flu looked like she has gathered all her confidence and all her shit in one place. She is maintaining this brave smile and her sparkling blue eyes are devoid of any negative indications. She is now acting like a composed celebrity, like a queen.

"Champion Fluonessia Asahime!" Heffy put her mic next to the Speedmage Champion's lips. "Can you tell us about your journey to become the Speedmage Champion?"

"So, back when I was a kid, I was weak, powerless, and a crybaby. I used to be the runt of the litter between my siblings, and my parents are not that proud of me because of my clumsy attitude. We used to live in the Western District, but my mother decided to stay on the Eastern Islands together with my aunt. The people there are simple but awesome! I was amazed when-"

"I-I think this will be a whole another novel, so let's skip this question," Heffy said with a wry smile.

"Tahahahaha! I'm sorry!" Flu laughed as she scratched her head.

"Next question! What is your motivation to keep pushing yourself to the top of your game?"

"My motivation is simple! I loooooooooove Speed Battles, and I looooooove practicing and experimenting with Speed Spells! That is the only reason I need!" Flu answered excitedly flailing her arms in the air like a kid overdosed on sugar.

Well, there goes her matured demeanor, vanished into thin air.

"So after this Speedmage Tournament, what is your next step?" Heffy asked.

Flu did not utter any word. She just smiled at the camera.

...

All of a sudden, she walked forward, in my direction. She paid no attention to the cameraman or the interviewer. She just looked at me with blazing blue eyes.

"Hey, hey, Jonathan. Do you remember the promise you gave to me?" Flu said with a smile. For some reason, she is wringing her glove on her right hand.

"I-It was a mystery promise you imposed unto me, but yeah, I agreed to it," I said.

Flu was finally able to remove the glove on her hand and dropped it to the ground, right in front of me. Then, she took a long card from her back and showed it to me.

The long card indicates a poorly written calligraphy that contains the letters:

C-H-A-L-L-E-N-G-E.

Flu smiled once more, and finally, I saw what her opponents see in her azure blue eyes- the sign of thrill.

"Jonathan Wardenorth, as the National Speedmage Champion, I challenge you to a Speed Battle!"

2