109TH GEAR – MY DREAM SPEED BATTLE
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

109TH GEAR – MY DREAM SPEED BATTLE

“I’m back here again.”

I muttered as I gazed around the empty audience seats and the viewing stage. I am at the center of the Triangle, looking at the perfect blue skies. Somehow, being in the Triangle of the Grand Arena gives me a kind of thrill I never experienced before.

During the National Speedmage Tournament, I never had the chance to appreciate the beauty of the Grand Arena. It is usually filled with the loud crowd cheering for their idolized Speedmages. I often view from the crowd, and having Flu participate in the Nationals gave me a chance to witness Speedbattles in the viewing deck exclusive for navigators.

“So, are you good? Is my old Speedmage Suit and Shoes a little loose on you?”

My father is checking my whole body from head to toe. He was a bit worried when I asked him to lend me his old Speedmage equipment, but now that I have worn it, he realized that it wasn’t so bad after all.

“It’s a little loose, but still comfortable, nonetheless. I will just need to use some belts, and I’m good to go.” I said as I adjusted my collar.

My Speedmage Suit is something edgy from modern fantasy games that can be played on Magical gaming consoles. I have a long black coat with fire-red decals and a red shirt underneath it. I also have specialized jeans which are coated with magical protection.

For my Speedmage Shoes, it is the Adarna Proto Model, which is the pioneer of the Garuda and Minokawa Series. It is a red pair of shoes with spiky wings and black linings. Just like Flu’s Minokawa Type S, these shoes are best suited for Counters.

Suddenly, my father and my mother who was right beside him the whole time started to cry.

“I can’t believe it! My poor Jonathan! He is now a Speedmage!” My mother wiped her tears with her white face towel.

“My foolish son’s hopes and dreams… are now within the reach of his hand! I am so happy!” My foolish father cried.

“You guys are talking as if I am going to die.” I cringed.

Meanwhile, I saw groups of people enter the empty Grand Arena seats. It’s not just random groups of people, they are all familiar with me. The three Speedmage Captains of the Cool Escape: Tezza Flaschk, Haruka Firangel, and Liri Fontaine is here. Not only that but President Levi of Eaglecrest has made his appearance.

What surprised me is that even Vincent and Justine Shadowseek were with the Eaglecrest President.

“Vince?” I exclaimed.

“Yo!”

“Why are you here? I thought you went to Yamato?”

“I did. Did you forget that I can teleport?” Vincent said with an arrogant smirk.

“But what about your mother?” I asked.

“She will be fine. We will just be away for a couple of hours. Besides, I can’t let this event pass.” Vincent leaned his elbow on the rail and smiled. “When I heard from Fluonessia Asahime that you will be fighting her, I can’t contain my excitement. I am still intrigued by how your girlfriend managed to grant your impossible dream, but I want to see it with my own eyes.”

“I’m not a bona fide Speedmage. I’m pretty sure I’m forbidden to take part in official matches.” I said.

“It doesn’t matter. Everyone is excited to see you play as a Speedmage.” Captain Tezza said.

“Well, I will do my best. Don’t be disappointed if I end up losing though. My fight is against the current National Speedmage Champion, and my chances of winning are slim.” I said.

“I’m not so sure about that.” A familiar feminine yet terrifying voice entered my ears.

When I looked at the side, I saw Professor Azure, together with Professor Dekadavra. Behind them are Gaylord Draculus and Lilith Nightshade. Not only that, all those Speedmages and Navigators we beat from the Regionals and Nationals have made their appearance.

“Miss Asahime and you are two of a kind. Your intellect combined with Miss Asahime’s skills in using speed spells is two sides of the same key. Miss Asahime would not have won the Championship Match if it wasn’t for you too.” Professor Azure added.

I kept my silence. Sure, she is right, but the fact that I will be dueling against a Speedmage Champion has its pressure.

And now that there is a crowd who is eager to watch me perform, I’m getting nervous. There is a tingly sensation on my chest, and my hands are trembling. I looked at my palms and assessed this mental pressure.

This is different. This is way different from what I felt being a coach and navigator. Instead of having other people play, it is my time to shine at the center of the Triangle.

Zoom!

Three contrail streaks blasted through the front gate and stopped at the center of the Triangle! These contrail streaks are colored pink, blue, and yellow, which looked like an awesome rainbow. These are the mana contrails I have familiarized myself with already, as they are my most precious Speedmages of the Merry Knights.

“First!” Flu celebrated as she raised her hand with an adorable smile on her face.

“Uwoooogh! You’re so fast, Flu!” Cruzo said as he stopped second.

“Hey, this is not a race.” Ericka scolded as she stopped third. “And Flu, stop wasting your mana right before your match!”

“Tahahaha! I’m sorry!” Flu scratched her head while giving an apologetic smile.

I am not surprised that Ericka ended up last in their unofficial race since she is a Striker. But Flu being much faster than a Speedster like Cruzo added pressure on my mind. Counters are supposed to be speed-inferior compared to Speedsters, but now Flu can beat Cruzo in a race with ease!

Flu’s blue eyes locked on me, and then she scooched over.

“Hi, Jonathaaaaan~” Flu gave the most alluring smile in the world while her cheeks are strawberry red.

“H-Hello,” I said. I can’t help but be flustered.

“It’s been three days since we last have a date, so let’s hang out after this!”

“O-Okay,” I said.

Side Note: We added a rule where we have to mentally prepare ourselves for this match. So we made a prohibition where we should not see each other for three days. However, we did not prepare for the gray areas of that agreement. We never set any rules about magic phone calls.

So for the past three days, we mostly spent our nights talking through the phone and sexting until dawn.

“I really really reaaaaaally missed you, Jonathaaaaaan! Waaaah!” Flu immediately jumped on me like an eager dog who waited years for her owner to come back!

“W-Woaaaah!”

Thankfully, Ericka caught Flu on her nape collar before my girlfriend’s boobies burry my face.

“Hey, no flirting before the match!” Ericka scolded.

“Uwuuuuuu.” Flu cried like a puppy.

I just realized that Flu was already on her Speedmage Suit and Shoes when she entered this Triangle. As usual, she must have been excited to have a Speed Battle with me.

“Let’s have our final preparations then and get this over with.” Ericka unenthusiastically said as she laid the pink-haired pup on the ground and crossed her arms. “Don’t forget to do some stretching.”

“R-Right!” Flu said.

While my girlfriend is doing some splits and other stretches, I followed her lead. Then my attention turned to Ericka and smiled at her.

“Hey, Useless Prez. Is it really okay with you to be Flu’s navigator? You sure you won’t puke like that in the Regionals?”

“Don’t worry. I will just give directions to Flu, so I won’t be pressured.” Ericka said.

“Good to know,” I muttered.

I looked at my navigator-slash-big brother in the Merry Knights Guild. He is now a Muscle Bro, as President Levi dubbed. His fats are slowly returning though, and that will be a good thing in his love life with Heffy.

“I will be counting on you, big bro.” I offered a fist bump.

“Yes, Coach, er... I mean, Jon. Give Flu your determination, guts, and love!” Cruzo pulled my arm and we made a superhero handshake. “Brothers for life!”

“B-Brothers for life,” I said with a wry smile.

And after that god darn long preparation and chitchat, we dispersed. Navigators went to the viewing deck, while we participants took position on the 1st Checkpoint Tower. While waiting for the referee, Flu and I had a pre-match chat.

Flu smiled at me with the purpose of teasing.

“Speed Battles are fun even before they begin, right?” Flu said.

“Yeah. It gives me the chills and the warmth. The people who are watching and counting on me, the supportive comments of a navigator, and a friendly chat from an opponent like you. It makes me live the dream.” I smiled back.

“Let’s do our best, Jonathan!” Flu pumped her fists. “Remember, just because I love you so much does not mean that I will throw this match. I love you so much that I will work hard to defeat you!”

Flu’s determined gaze is complimented by an azure sapphire glint.

“So I will give one million percent of me to defeat you, Speedmage Champion!” I also pumped my fist.

“Great! I will look forward to it!” Flu beamed as bright as the sun.

The pink-haired Speedmage then approached me and touched my chest. A warm sensation engulfed me as we both closed our eyes and stardust swirled around us.

“Mana Link Synchron: Set! Sharing Magical Circuits at 50%. Experience and Skill Sharing Authorized.”

My veins glowed as the magical circuits flowed through my body. There was also a sharp pain in my head for a moment as the information about Fluonessia’s experiences of using speed spells traveled around my brain.

When I opened my eyes, Flu’s adorable face went into view. Flu slowly reached out for my Mystic Glasses and removed them.

Now that I have temporary magical circuits, I can freely see the flow of mana on everything. I can also browse through my memory on how to use certain speed spells that Flu learned over the entirety of her career.

“All good to go?” Flu tilted her head. 

I nodded in response.

The official referee which we hired has finally approached the 1st Checkpoint Tower. He talked to us lovers before starting the match.

“Both Speedmages ready?”

“Yes!” Flu and I said with a smile.

The referee raised his hand and readied the whistle. We participants readied our running positions and revved mana on our Speedmage Shoes.

“On your marks… Get set… Go!”

Fweeeeeeeeeeeet!

2