Chapter 002: A Journey Back.
94 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max had an unyielding determination to become stronger and faster than anyone else. It was a fervent desire that consumed his every thought and action. However, he was acutely aware that he needed certain supplies to achieve his goal.

Thankfully, there was a place that came to mind, a place where he could acquire what he needed. But this place held a greater significance, for it was also the site where everything changed in Max's life. The events that transpired in that location marked a turning point, propelling him towards his ultimate destiny.

***

Despite the danger lurking around every corner and the constant threat of zombies, Max journeyed for days until he finally arrived back at the settlement. His pocket space had been his only refuge; he could slip into to avoid danger.

Max had been born into a world of chaos, where every day was a struggle to survive. The world had been plunged into darkness by a catastrophic event, leaving only ruins and desolation in its wake. Zombies and high-level monsters roamed the wastelands, waiting to prey on the unsuspecting humans who dared to venture outside the walls of the cities.

The leveling system had become the only hope for humanity. Those who took advantage of it early on, had the power to rise above the dangers of this world. They obtained powerful abilities that allowed them to fight back against the creatures that threatened our existence. The most powerful of these humans had formed cities with towering walls that were protected by multiple guilds and heroes.

Max had always dreamed of living within the safety of those walls, but he knew that only the select few were allowed entry. The people who didn't have the qualifications to enter the cities, like him, lived on the fringes, where they were often mistreated and looked down upon.

Max's settlement was built near the wall, offering some protection from the dangers outside. But the people there lived in constant fear of being attacked by zombies or kidnapped by slavers who would sell them into a life of servitude.

Despite the hardships, Max had managed to survive, he learned the hard way that survival in this cutthroat world required caution and discretion. He witnessed countless betrayals by those he thought he could trust, as they eagerly sold each other out for even the slightest chance of bettering their own lives. The bitter taste of disappointment and disillusionment had become all too familiar to him.

Living in constant fear, Max developed a strict set of rules that he adhered to without fail. He knew that any deviation from these self-imposed guidelines could spell disaster. His first rule was to request a meal in exchange for his work as a cleaner. He preferred to have something to eat on the spot instead of receiving any other form of payment. This was because he knew that possessing anything of value, be it food or equipment, would inevitably draw unwanted attention towards him.

The second rule he followed was to never make friends or get too close to anyone. Max understood that the less he knew about someone, the less he could be betrayed or harmed by them. He preferred to keep his distance and observe from afar, carefully navigating his way through the settlement.

His third rule was to stay away from strangers, particularly those known as awakeners. These were individuals with extraordinary powers, capable of unleashing immense energy with just a flick of their wrist. Max knew to steer clear of them as they could be unpredictable and dangerous.

As the sun began to set, Max's fourth rule kicked in. He knew that he needed to find shelter before darkness engulfed the settlement. It was not safe to be outside once the sun went down. Creatures roamed the area, and bandits lurked in the shadows, waiting for an opportunity to strike.

Max's final rule was the most important of all. He must never venture beyond the boundaries of the settlement. It was a dangerous world out there, full of perilous beasts, hostile factions, and uncharted territories. Max knew that he had a much better chance of survival within the settlement, where he had his routines and rules to guide him.

***

But despite his best efforts, one day he slipped up and broke one of his own rules. It was a small mistake, one that he convinced himself was inconsequential. But as the consequences of his error began to unravel before him, Max knew that he had put himself in grave danger. All those years of living in the shadows, of being a mere observer, had not prepared him for the harsh reality of being thrust into the spotlight.

In the heart of the settlement, on a day that started like any other, a sudden commotion caught everyone's attention. Heads turned and eyes widened as a young girl, with an air of unfamiliarity and an immaculate appearance, strode into the scene. Her weapons gleamed brightly in the sunlight, and her every step exuded an aura of confidence and skill.

A few worthless bandits, who were always lurking around looking for trouble, stepped forward to confront her. They didn't know what hit them. In a blur of movement, the girl drew her weapons and engaged the scoundrels in a ferocious battle. The clash of steel echoed throughout the settlement as the girl darted and weaved between her adversaries with alarming speed and precision. It was a breathtaking display of martial prowess.

Max, a mere bystander, watched from a distance with a mixture of amazement and fear. He knew that trouble was brewing, yet he was inexplicably drawn to the unfolding spectacle. As the girl emerged victorious from the scuffle, she noticed Max's unkempt and shabby appearance. Without a word, she tossed him a small pouch containing zombie crystals, a valuable commodity in these parts.

Max was stunned and overwhelmed. He knew he shouldn't accept the pouch, but something compelled him to do so. The girl disappeared as quickly as she had arrived, leaving behind a trail of unanswered questions and a sense of foreboding. Max felt a knot forming in his stomach as he realized he had made a grave mistake.

Max's first mistake was stepping foot outside the safety of the settlement. But fear and desperation had clouded his judgment, and he had convinced himself that leaving was his only option. He knew that if he stayed, he would be a prime target for those who coveted what he possessed and couldn't protect.

His second mistake was thinking that he could make it on his own. The harsh reality of the outside world quickly made itself known, as he was ambushed by a group of ruthless people who beat him to a pulp and stripped him of everything he had. Left with nothing but his own wits and a battered body, he stumbled aimlessly through the desolate wasteland, an easy prey for both the undead and the living.

It wasn't long before he stumbled upon a group of awakeners, calling themselves “the hunters”. This nefarious group, infamous for their brazen kidnappings and human trafficking, they were the lowest of the low, and despite calling themselves hunters, they had never hunted an animal, only preying on the weak and helpless humans.

Max's heart raced as he recalled the fear and desperation he had felt during his escape. But as he looked at the settlement, a sense of gratitude washed over him. For it was this very place where everything took place, all the misfortune inadvertently led him to stumble upon a life-changing opportunity.

2