Chapter 12: Death and War
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rey, who had lagged further behind, had no choice but to stop thinking about the behavior of the elders and make his presence known. Sudden flashes of light around him could be seen, followed by the shaking of his fists to wipe away the blood that covered the sharp blades protruding from his forearms.

Rey thought as he saw dents in his sharp blades: "I have struck and cut the bodies of the souls in pain who suffer in the lower circles. Also, those we met on the road, but none of them felt like these bodies. They are more solid, they have blood and flesh that is not decaying. They are definitely like the elders. Coming from the world of the living... the bounty hunters. On the other hand, it seems I'm doomed to use these weapons in a defensive capacity, the thrusts powered by the action mechs, accompanied by the swiftness of my best movement, make for triple the speed, but with consequences for the blades' edge." Looking at the serrations and indentations on the edge of his weapons, he continued, "This is the reason why a weapon should not be obtained so lightly; for now, I must take care not to break them."

On the two most advanced brothers no dead bodies fell, not even dismembered parts, only a great torrent of blood accompanied by dented weapons and pieces of armor. Fifty people were ground to pieces in the blink of an eye.

Jhades, after coughing up the blood of his enemies and wiping his face exclaimed a question:

"What the hell...!"

The vampire thought it must have been one of the elders. Yes, it had to be one of the elders, but when he looked in the direction of the family's unwanted son, he had no choice but to swallow dryly. Dante lowered his head, aghast at such a scene: he could see the blood trickling like water through the roots of the trees. Pieces of fingers, ears, splintered bones, eyes, and flesh were the only solid and identifiable things on the ground. Limbs that caught the gaze of the wolf cub who could not say anything because of the lump forming in his throat. On the other hand, how could he not feel threatened if he didn't know if the hundreds of shadows that surrounded them were allies or enemies, shadows in human form that jumped from one side to the other, spread around the place like guards of Paradise that didn't want to be seen.

The answers came alone to the mind of the one who could no longer maintain a cold and calculating demeanor:

"How many times did you have to cut the same individual to make him look like this?" asked Jhades as he turned his gaze to the last member of the group.

Rey didn't have time to indulge in the luxury of answering his brothers' behavior. It was unwise in the situation, as they had their defenses down and the enemies had detected them.

(Kiinnn, Kinn, Kiinn.) Metal was heard colliding. At the same time, the last of the group disappeared and as soon as the two little ones turned quickly, they saw how their brother had reappeared in front of them while in the air still tinkled the edge of three chaotically spinning daggers. The danger had become eminent: one of the three enemies was declaring his hostile intentions from the clearing. The armor-clad human made ten daggers appear in each hand in one movement. Using his commanding voice, he added the following words to the air:

"Colonel! So there you were!!! Why would you stoop to using weapons when you can employ the defense barrier and the sorcerer grade you used to pass the low circles?".

The white eyes that could be seen from within the darkness of the forest seemed to pay attention to the words of the guy who spoke with a very heavy accent the ancient language. "Why rely on my best skill in a combat? More so when the clan members are watching me," he said to himself.

"Oh, how long has it been since that moment we saw you fall? I guess you'll have to be more powerful and I'll have to tread carefully. But I can't help but tell you my opinion, or our motives... Listen to this human talk, maybe you can learn something."

Rey tried to create a shadow to move from place to place unnoticed, but another dagger went in the direction of his brothers throat, so he had to stay in place to use his sharp blades again to counter the weapon's trajectory. Rey had realized that it was useless to use "Aura" against those opponents, and if he couldn't hide his presence, he couldn't use his strongest move either because he would be exposed and vulnerable for the time it took to charge the attack.

The imposing voice continued:

"Regardless of whether you lost your memories, in your past life you created this place that condemns my people. How does it feel to have the privilege of living well? Tell me, do you... think you have the right to enjoy it? Personally, I say no. Although I don't know you at all and I know for a fact that you haven't lived long, I can assure you that your insides are as filthy as those of all the horrible beasts and people you locked up on the outskirts of this beautiful place... or am I wrong? I have questions in my head, did you really get baptized at birth, have you not had sex, have you not eaten more than you should, do you not feel greed, do you not want to rest and do nothing while others spend their time doing something productive, are you not violent, do you not hide things, have you not betrayed? Ridiculous laws and assumptions for humans. I don't think it's fair that our race, being the weakest, should be governed by such rules. Not after all we have done in life. Why don't I see any gods? any elves? any lycanthropes? any beings other than humans suffering the endless tortures of the hell you created? It is that they, precisely because they are strong, ended up as guardians. And those who are even stronger are not even allowed to enter. It is so, this is fate, the weak must suffer...."

The three people in the clearing clutched their gazes at the leader's words.

"My heart burns, after so much progress, after so much suffering... We found you here, in this beautiful place. To which we would also have the right if we were like you. Of course we do! I believe it... You and your brothers created the rules, that's why you keep the privilege of being the exception. Therefore, if it's up to me, this will be the end of your life... To live is heavy, but as I am the voice that represents humans, I will continue to live to make this moment the turn of those you once condemned to pass your sentence!"

The fallen on the ground shouted loudly:

"The gods must die!"

Another shouted even louder:

"Hell must end!"

The roar felt even louder:

"And to make it possible, we will start with you, Leonel Of-Ranger."

At the same time as the subject spoke, a whole cloud of daggers was fired in all directions. Only the original, who stood in front of his brothers, was able to dodge them with the movement of his hands, while the hundreds of copies that had been scattered around the site were neutralized as they had no weapons or armor.

"I don't know what this madman is talking about, I don't know who Leonel is, I only know that we must escape", was the thought that both Dante and Jhades had as soon as a dagger, whistling through the air, passed him by.

Rey looked at the faces of his enemies, he understood that there was no escape from a direct confrontation, as well as that none of the elders planned to intervene. For him the only option was to win in order to survive and he could not die or allow his brothers to perish, for he was not sure if they still had their mother's love.

The two brothers turned with the intention of escaping in the direction of the Great Wise Wizard, but another assailant made his presence known and with one swipe almost cut them in two. Had it not been for Rey, who, with quick movements, retreated, dodged, counterattacked, cut the enemy body in two and then in four, neither the little vampire nor the wolf cub would have survived. Rey, as one who was busier than usual, said:

"Dante, Jhades... try not to get in the way anymore. If you don't fight the enemy just thinking about how to escape, it will be too late to regret missing the chance to fight when you had the chance."

The two brothers could not help but swallow dryly when they encountered the fury depicted on the usually calm and expressionless face of the brother without a surname. Rey shifted his focus, having warned his brothers he realized how his hands were sweating, how his face felt after hearing the phrase "the end of your life", "What is this inside of me? It is not similar to the feeling of survival I had in the darkness of the cave... or fighting the proud in Purgatory. It is much more volatile, not very manipulable. My face, this expression I feel... I don't know it. They must not be stronger than the enemies I have faced so far. But it seems that, not being able to use all my sorcerer powers, since Hero would realize I have his book, and my aura control is inefficient, I feel at a disadvantage, a disadvantage that makes those words make me feel fear, that feed the beasts that lurk at my ears. Irritating demons that by their constancy awaken a dangerous desire. Killing to live, right? As Dante himself said, I have a justification to kill, to satisfy those demons within me, but is it right? I'm getting used to taking lives... lives that will serve my aggrandizement as a warrior."

Dante couldn't ignore how surprised he felt. If it hadn't been for his brother, determined to fight saving his life, he would be dead now. "Is it so easy to lose one's life for someone invincible?" he asked himself who knew he had to fight, but he also felt fear of the three opponents, almost as much fear as he felt of the elders. He didn't know what to do, but he did know he wanted to do something.

0