Chapter 32: New Defences (Volas)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been two days since we got news from Bunker Hill. There have been rumours about what happened there, each new one as gruesome as the last. Why is the report taking so long? It should be here by now.
‘Any news on Bunker Hill?’ Huson says as he enters my room.
I groan at the fact that there is nothing. ‘No, have you?’
Huson shakes his head. ‘The battle happened a few days ago, the largest land battle in the course of this war, and possibly ever witnessed in this island’s history, yet we know nothing about it.’
I lean back into my chair anxiously, my mind teaming with every possible outcome.
‘If you don’t mind, sir, I might as well see myself off.’
‘Do you think we have won?’ I ask before he can leave the room.
He turns to me, considering about the war in its entirety. The reports, the horrible rumours. Could we have won? Could we win against them?
‘No, I think we have lost.’
I nod in agreement. ‘What do you think we should do?’
‘Why do you care?’
‘Answer the question, Sergeant. I need a second opinion on this.’
Huson folds his arms while he looks down on me. ‘I don’t know, Commander. Fight them perhaps?’
How helpful. Then again, I didn’t expect much from a colonist, even if he is useful in a fight. But I can’t be alone on this. It feels wrong to think we lost a major battle like this. Treasonous even. So many lives, gone, our army possibly decimated, destroyed from former slaves of all people.
It’s shameful to think we have lost. I don’t know what we could do after. Or what I would do.
A woman barges into my room, gasping for air from her run. ‘A message, for Commander Regali.’
‘What is it, courier?’ I ask her.
She straightens herself up, locking her arms by her side. ‘General Earl wants to inform you that the battle of Bunker Hill was a success, and he would like you to send the rest of your troops west to help fight off the Dog threat.’
I smile in relief. It was a success. Thank the Gods! It wasn’t as bad as I thought.
‘Thank you. Inform Earl, I will personally lead my men to assist him.’
‘Th… thank you Commander Reg-’
Huson raises his sword to her throat.
‘What are you doing, Huson?’ I growl at him.
‘She is lying. There was no victory.’
The woman raises her hands, shaking as her eyes water. ‘Please, I’m just a messenger.’
‘Shut up!’ Huson shouts, placing the blade lightly on her throat, drawing a drop of blood.
‘Huson, let her go! Do you know what you are doing?’
‘She is lying through her teeth, Commander. We haven’t won the battle, have we?’
She stays silent, not because she is scared, but as if she is hiding something.
I lower my voice to a calming tone. ‘Did we win the battle of Bunker Hill?’
She shakes her head as tears run down her face. ‘No! No, we didn’t,’ she mumbles.
‘She isn’t lying, Commander.’ Handcock walks into the room smoking his pipe. ‘The battle was a total disaster. The Dogs didn’t just win the battle. They took down one of your airships, not to mention two of your Pretorian guards.’
Oh Gods, oh Gods no. I stumble back into my chair as I imagine how the battle played out. A total disgrace! Slaves slew the Empress’s mightiest warriors, and they took down the symbol of our Empire. This couldn’t be happening. This shouldn’t happen to us! We are the world’s protectors, the guardians of what is right and wrong. And we lost to them?
‘What are your orders?’ Huson ask me.
I sigh as I rub my forehead. ‘Inform General Earl that I will not send any more troops to him. Tell him he is on his own,’ I say to the messenger.
He won’t like that, but I don’t care. He lied to me to save his own skin, endangering my city.
‘She is free to go, Huson.’
He lowers his sword. She mumbles a thanks before leaving the room. Maybe saying something else under her breath as well, but I don’t know. I don’t think it would matter to know what it is.
Handcock puffs on his pipe. ‘What now, lad?’
‘Evacuate the city. I’ll tell you the rest later,’ I say to Huson.
Huson nods before leaving the room.
‘Well, I best be off.’
I step in front of Handcock before he could leave the room. ‘How do you know?’
He puffs on his pipe. ‘Know what?’
‘That we lost. How come you know?’
‘I have my ways.’ He winks.
Before he can leave, I grab onto his arm.
‘Don’t play games with me, old man. Answer my question or-’
‘Or what?’ Handcock interrupts me. ‘Just so you know, you are not in a position to question me. I have my ways and you have your own. So don’t be surprised other nations have their own methods of gathering information. If you want me to continue my support. I suggest you let go of me.’
Bloody humans, the whole lot of them are disgusting. But he is right, I can’t lose his support to defend my city.
I groan in frustration as I let him go.
Handcock smiles as he leaves my room.
He must have spies, or he must’ve bribed other Commanders. Something isn’t right about him. He came to support my city while he could safely watch the war from somewhere else. Something about his motives don’t make sense.
However, he is useful to me. For now. But I can’t risk that he will betray me. I need to keep an eye on him and his fellow humans.
But first I need a drink.

The door swings open as I head inside the tavern. The people chat and giggle like children, ignorant of the world falling apart outside of this drunken hangout.
Some of these people are what’s left of my soldiers, wearing their uniform while acting flirtatiously with the women who took the time to give them attention. One soldier notices me but the woman on his lap draws his gaze back to her.
I think it’s for the best. They need some fun. It could be their last chance for it.
I sit in front of the bar. ‘Ale please.’ I ask the keeper as he pours the intoxicating liquid into a wooden cup.
Such a lowly, underclass place, but it is where I belong, I suppose.
The man next to me chuckles as he sips on his cheap ale. Wearing tattered clothing, his face and grey beard covered in dirt and grime.
‘You seem awfully young to be a Commander.’ The man slurs his words, his voice rough as if he lived a lifetime yelling.
‘What brought you to the Lucky Tavern?’
‘Why do you care? I just want a drink, nothing more,’ I reply. The man shrugs as he slides onto a stool close to me. ‘You type don’t drink that much, not when a war like this is going on. Something is on your mind.’
I look away to drink my tasteless ale. I don’t want to respond to him. Why should I? A drunken man doesn’t even know the scale, the fact that war is coming here.
‘You know, it will not be mine, or some of the older folks’, first time being called to war. Hell, I even remembered when this city was a small town.’ He smiles like a drunken madman.
‘I fought in the Scarlet Campaign, you know. The humans were pretty relentless, and dare I say it, a pretty determined bunch if you ignore their drinking habits. They taught me a valuable lesson, no, two lessons. Don’t underestimate their people, and if you can’t go through their walls, dig under them.’
I sigh while I rub my eyes as to tell him he should leave. ‘What are you trying to tell me?’
He wraps his arm around me, the alcohol on his breath flooding my nose. ‘We are fighting miners with an E. You need someone to counter them. I know, well, my buddies and I know how to do that. For a price.’
‘What is it?’ I ask the drunk.
‘Free ale, and recognition.’ He cuts himself off as the tavern doors swing open.
‘Ah, the Troops Sergeant is finally here. Yeah, you can deal with that cat.’ He grabs his cup before stumbling off as Hannah walks up to me.
‘You shouldn’t be here, not after the news, Volas.’ Hannah sits down as she signals to the bartender to bring her a cup.
‘I gave my orders. Now, I just need to think.’
She whispers to me. ‘Evacuating the city won’t help much, Volas. You need to prepare for their arrival-’
‘We were prepared. Now? Now we might as well give up,’ I interrupt as I gulp down some of my shitty ale, trying to ignore the fact that we are losing.
‘They took down a Dragon ship. They killed two Pretorian guards. What hope do we even have when one of the most experienced Commander-turned-General couldn’t succeed against fucking slaves!’
Hannah pauses, frowning at my retort. ‘Because Volas, he isn’t you.’ She gently removes my hand from the wooden cup. ‘Volas, from the beginning, you saw they were a threat before anyone else. You voiced your concerns when others overlooked the finer details. If there is someone who deserves to be a General more than Rommel, it would be you.’
‘I’ve never fought a battle, Hannah. I’ve never led an army before. For all you know, I could be a disaster. I couldn’t beat a colonist! What hope do I have in beating a Dog?’ I push her hand away as I jug down the last of the ale.
‘A brilliant leader isn’t always a good fighter. Your strength isn’t with a sword. Far from it. Your strength is your ability to notice minor details and to form a plan to exploit the facts. And it is that strength that can win you the war.’
She raises her cup of ale.
‘So, today we drink. And tomorrow, I want you to be the leader we need. The leader the Empire deserves.’
I clank my cup against hers with a smile.
We talk about the war, going over detail after detail about the Dogs and their gear. About how our men could fare against them.
Her warmth, her optimism, is a good refresher, a happy reminder of the world I want to fight for.

I wake up from with a raging hangover, the stench of ale poisoning my mouth. I look out of the window to see my men knocking on doors and ordering the people to pack their belongings.
Some weep at the news, others are hesitant to evacuate. I even watch as some are already prepared to leave or already leaving the city. A grim reminder of what is coming, for what I need to do.
I take out the map of the region and lay it out on my desk to conduct some work.
The Dogs will come from Lash Crossing. That is if they decide not to go through the rivers Spring and Golden.
From what I know from reports of their movement tendencies, they don’t seem to go through rivers. I can use this to my advantage, but I can’t rely on it too much.
If they go through the Golden River, they will have a shortcut to the city and I will have to be there to defend it. If they go through Spring River, they will have fresh troops from Bravens mine. But if they go through Lash Crossing, I can attack and weaken their forces before they head to the city and the mine.
From the reports, our infantry can’t handle the Dogs, but it seems they struggle against our cavalry.
This could especially be useful. It could mean they have ridged formations or they are slow moving, or their flanks and battle lines are easily exposed and will easily shatter under pressure.
I need to send Huson and his troops out tomorrow to keep an eye on their movements. His report could be detrimental to what I can do next.
Hannah knocks on the door. ‘The evacuation is going well, Volas. The civilians are on their way to the webgate connecting to the Crystal Kingdom.’
‘Make sure they head to Balborus instead. The Crystal Kingdom will soon become a war-zone. Best to get the refugees away from there.’
Hannah looks over my map, watching me sketch out my plan and potential enemy movements. ‘Got any plans on what to do next?’
I sigh. ‘A rough one.’
‘What would that rough plan be?’
I ignore her while I focus on the map, writing down anything that could give us an advantage.
Hannah places her hand on the map in front of my pencil.
‘You know I had a great time last night. Didn’t know you could be fun.’
‘I... uh… thank you, I also enjoyed last night.’
‘That’s good, so do you have any plans for tonight?’ Hannah rubs the back of her neck as she faces away from me.
She isn’t her usual self. For some reason, her tone is different, more lively than before. Why is she acting strange suddenly?
‘Not unless there is something coming up that is important. I would have to write up a plan for Comm-’
She leaps onto my desk.
‘So it’s a yes?’ Hannah interrupts me while she leans into me.
I raise a brow. ‘I think so, if I have any free time.’
Is she acting strange because of the evacuation of the citizens? Is it the war taking its toll on her?
She leaps off my desk with a smile. ‘Brilliant, so when would you like to meet up?’
‘After Commander Regali deals with the reluctant civilians outside!’ Hannah’s face turns bright red as Huson walks into my office.
‘And what would the problem be?’ I ask Huson.
They could just not like the news. On the other hand, they might want to complain directly to me.
Huson heads to the window, looking down at the courtyard.
‘They want to join us, and they are not leaving until they meet the Commander in charge of this place.’
By the Gods, hey should’ve enlisted before this whole thing started. What they are doing is just going to cause trouble. I doubt they would even fight for me, but perhaps just protect their own property.
‘Why don’t you just arrest them and get it over and done with?’ I question Huson.
‘Because I think you want to meet them.’ He points to the window.
In frustration, I look outside at what he is referring to. Thirty men stand in my courtyard, some carrying shovels or picks, formed up in formation. With an older, yet familiar looking man standing in front of them.
‘Why are they formed up?’ Hannah shrugs.
‘Because it isn’t their first time.’ I put on my jacket as I head to the courtyard.
As I exit the building, the old man stood at attention to salute me. The same old drunk at the tavern. What on the Gods’ green earth brought him here?
‘Former Major Rex of the Tunnel Rats reporting for duty,’ the old man shouts before placing himself at ease.
‘Your service has ended long ago, Major. I have no use for you or your friends.’
The old man laughs at my remark. ‘Nonsense Commander, we can offer you services that none of your soldiers can adequately provide.’
Off the booze he sounds far more sophisticated. I am surprised. I thought he would be known as the town drunk.
‘And what would your services be?’ I ask the man.
He breaks rank as he gestures to his men and himself. ‘We fought in the Scarlet Campaign. As counter-siege experts. We know the Dogs are coming, and we also know that you don’t have any defences to prevent them from getting into the city.’
‘We have brought up defences that can prevent them from entering the city. What can you improve that has not already been implemented?’
He taps the ground. ‘You are fighting former miners, and if they can’t go through your walls. They will go under them, and that would be bad news. I don’t think you want to be at the mercy of them when they get into our city.’
He rubs his nose to prepare his sales pitch. ‘So, what we offer is: We build the last line of defence. We will dig under the city and set up choke points that would make the Dogs regret ever coming here. We have the knowledge, and by the Gods and the Empress herself, we have the skills to do it.’
I cross my arms before he continues any further. ‘What’s the catch?’
Rex’s men smile and chuckle.
‘Oh, the catch is. We want a lifelong supply of free ale, and recognition for our service.’
‘Deal. Only if you start working now.’
Rex gives me a salute with a drunken grin. ‘Glad I could be in your service, Commander.’ He reaches his hand out, I reach out my own to shake it, solidifying the deal. I hope this isn’t a mistake.
Rex walks off to his men, ordering them to start working. If what they said is true, their contribution could aid me in the defence of this city. If not, they are extra bodies.
Handcock walks up to me, smoking his wooden pipe.
‘What do you want, human?’ I say to him.
‘Well lad, General Earl is waiting for you at the webgate. I think it would be wise if you talk to him.’
Shit, oh shit! Why now? If he came here, he wants to take my troops! I can’t! No, I won’t allow that, not after him lying about his defeat.
I head straight to the man himself, the General of our army. A man I used to call a hero.
Rommel stands near the webgate’s entrance with some of his men.
He sneers as his hateful gaze locks onto me. ‘I ordered you to surrender your men to me yesterday, Volas. Why are you refusing a direct order?’
I puff my chest, frightened of what I am going to say, but I will keep my composure. I won’t let him bully me.
‘Your order is unjust and unnecessary, General Earl. I have here the last remaining technological wonders of the Forgotten Era, and you have ordered me to sacrifice our Empire’s treasure?’
‘Don’t be stupid Volas!’ He growls loudly, grabbing the attention of nearby soldiers and citizens.
‘I also have a webgate in my possession. But unlike your city, I am in control of the capital of the south. If I fall, we will lose!’
‘You lost your chance at Bunker Hill! I know they are marching here, and I know I have a better chance of winning than if I let you lead my men into battle.’ I raise my voice, my heart firing up with anger.
‘You don’t know what battle is like, what the Dogs will do to win! Now act like a soldier and follow a direct order!’
‘No.’
Rommel rubs his face in an effort to stay calm.‘I am very glad I gave you Huson and his dirty Outriders. I also see that you put that sympathetic whore of a Troops Sergeant to good use to-’
I punch the bastard to the ground before he can continue.
‘I don’t care what they are. It doesn’t matter if they are colonists, sympathisers, or even humans. They are lowly, disgusting beasts I have to work with, talk with, eat with, and you have no idea what I have to deal with! I wanted proper troops and Sergeants, and you only gave me cannon fodder. But they are my troops, and this is my fucking city! And I won’t let you take what is mine.’
Rommel looks up at me furiously. Two of his men rush to help him up.
‘When the Dogs come, I hope you watch as the world around you burns to the ground.’ He leans close to whisper into my ear, ‘And when that day comes, when you have to use your sword, pray it isn’t going to be used to put one of your friends down.’
‘Get out!’ I hiss.
He nods while he leaves for the webgate, keeping silent as he disappears into the magical void.
I turn around to see Huson, Handcock, and Hannah standing there.
Oh no! They must’ve seen it all, witnessed me hitting our General, heard what I have said.
‘You messed up, kid.’ Handcock walks past me.
Huson just shrugs and leaves to do whatever. I can tell he doesn’t appreciate with what I have said about him. But at this point, I don’t believe he cares.
Hannah looks at me, mortified. She tries to speak, but no words seem to get out. She looks to the ground, almost as if she is ashamed of what I have said.
‘I thought you were better. I guess I am wrong.’
She turns away from me, heading back to the barracks.
I want to go after her, but I couldn’t. Did she think I have changed? I should be frustrated with her notions that I have sympathies for the colonist.
Why don’t I? Why do I feel empty, alone?

0