Chapter 36: I Have No Son (Marak)
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘You understand what you have to do?’ I look directly at Midrax as he sits on the floor of my war room, picking his teeth with a Cinari finger bone.
‘Yeah, yeah, take the crossing,’ he sarcastically replies.
‘Good. That is our key to taking Tundo and the mine down south of the crossing. I don’t think you’ll need a substantial force. You’ll be better off with fewer men than what you usually deal with.’
‘Sure, Marak, but I need those ballistas. Their sky demons could be there, and I’m not willing to die from flashes of fucking lightning.’
Oh, Midrax, you are one interesting man. Brash and stupid. But you have always been a useful idiot to me so far.
‘From the reports from Max’s scouts, there are no sightings of them. Nor did my Verns mention anything about their movements. You’ll be fine without them. But in case anything goes wrong, I’ll make sure Alex and I stay behind you in case you need help.’
Midrax groans like an annoyed teen. ‘Fine, if your judgement says I don’t need it. I’ll follow your command.’
‘Good. Do you have any questions?’
Midrax smirks. ‘Well, will I get any bitches after the mission?’
‘If it’s consensual,’ I groan in annoyance.
‘In that case, I’ll leave tomorrow morning. When I get back, I’ll let you know about my… lustful campaign.’
‘Goodnight, Midrax.’ I wave Midrax off as he leaves my tent as fast as he entered.
He is vulgar, I would even say disgusting as an individual. But he is as loyal as loyal can come. Most importantly, he can get the job done. With brutal efficiency. Just the way I like it.
‘Care if I enter, your highness?’ Max opens the tent door.
‘Of course. Is it important?’
‘Well, you know, we recently took over Ruby Mine, and I wondered if you will distribute any abled-bodied Dogs to your fellow Generals. We need to have replacements, eventually.’
Something is wrong. Max never cares for logistical matters. What does she want this time?
‘What’s on your mind, Max? You don’t need to run around a rock. Get to the point.’
‘Since you put it like that. It’s about Alex.’
‘What about him? Is he okay?’
‘Oh, he is alive, but not okay.’
‘Get to the point, Max!’
If this is going to be her talking down about my son, I won’t have it. If this isn’t important, oh she better pray I believe in mercy.
‘Alex is a good leader, however, I feel his leadership capabilities are compromised. This morning, I saw him being kind to the Cinari captures.’
What? No, this has to be a mistake. Maybe there is a misunderstanding.
‘What did he do exactly?’ I ask her.
‘He brought the children back to their parents. Now the cages are not neatly segregated. Worst of all, it gave them hope! I think Alex doesn’t believe in our cause. If he is willing to show mercy and kindness to the Cinari, his compassion will eventually taint his ability to lead.’
Alex, you fool! How could you do this to me! After all they have done to us. You gave them kindness!
‘I’ll talk to him tomorrow. I will make sure he doesn’t continue this again.’
Max smirks. ‘That’s good to hear,’ she says while she suggestively walks towards me. ‘So tell me, Marak, do you believe in heirs?’
‘What are you saying, Max?’
‘You’re a king now, and for a kingdom to succeed, a king needs successors. What I am saying is you won’t live forever, and you being gone almost broke our alliance. We need a strong leader like you. I need you.
As she reaches for my face, I grab her hand. ‘I’m alive for now.’
Max giggles. ‘But you still need an heir. Alex is not even your son, so he couldn’t take your throne. Nor could Midrax or I. We need someone to look up to, someone who can unite our people.’
‘Get out!’
‘Excuse me?’ Max replies in shock.
‘Get out. Don’t make me repeat myself.’
‘But I-’
‘You insulted my son! It doesn’t matter if he is not related to me by blood, in the end, he is still my son. Unless you want me to lose my temper, I suggest you leave my tent.’
Max grumbles as she leaves my tent. But it doesn’t matter, I’ve got more important matters to deal with. Whatever she is doing, or whatever she is planning, I don’t like or trust it. But as of now, she is useful to my cause.
I head over to my table to look at the map, seeing how we almost have the Crystal Kingdom surrounded. The Cinari are focusing many of their forces around the city. According to my scouts, they seem disorganised.
This is good. This could mean they are setting up defensive positions rather than any aggressive operations.
However, I still am missing something. Something is special about that city and Tundo. I need to know what it is.
I head over to the tent next to mine. The two guards in front of it greet me while they explain to me they are recently cleaned. Not like I care to begin with.
As I light the lantern in the middle of the tent, the Verns shift in their tiny cages. All thirty of them naked, covered in blood, filth and gore. Their gazes of horror lock onto me. One of the Verns whimpers at the sight of me.
‘Tell me about the defenders of Tundo.’

As the morning sun wakes me up, I head outside to search for Alex. Midrax’s men gather their gear, psyching themselves up about a potential battle on the crossing.
One Dog comments that they would have Cinari flesh back on the menu. It makes me laugh thinking about that. Most likely, they won’t encounter anyone at the crossing, but I don’t want to ruin their dreams of good food.
Alex stands near the smith’s tent. I can tell they have been visiting each other in the night. It will be best that he is away from her now just to make this less messy.
‘Alex, can I talk to you for a minute?’
‘Um, sure. What is it going to be about?’
‘You’ll know.’
Alex walks with me outside of the encampment, away from any unwanted eyes and ears.
‘I heard about yesterday, about what you did to those… animals.’
Alex groans in frustration. ‘Dad, we can’t continue this. What we are doing is achieving nothing but making them suffer.’
‘That is the point, Alex. They made us their slaves. They’ve slaughtered our people. I think it is fair to make them feel our pain.’
‘Our pain, or your pain?’
I growl at him, ‘What are you saying, Alex?’
‘We shouldn’t do this. Some of the Cinari were never involved in our slavery. I want justice on those who hurt us as much as the next person, but what we are doing now makes us no better than the slavers.’
‘Don’t be stupid, Alex. This is necessary for them to understand our pain and-’
‘This doesn’t make them understand!’ Alex interrupts me. ‘This does nothing but make them fear us. We can make them understand through different means. We can fight for a world that promises our freedom, but becoming like them makes us exactly what we despise!’
‘You’re right. We can fight for a world that promises our freedom, but that would require the eradication of their kind. I am giving them the luxury of mercy!’
‘Mercy! That is something Balgazard would say to us.’
I wrap my hand around Alex’s shirt, pulling him to me.
‘If you dare compare me to that monster, I’ll slit your throat!’ I punch him to the ground. Alex stares back at me in fright.
‘I’ve sent the monsters you helped to the mines. And from this day forward, I don’t want you anywhere near the captured beasts ever again. Do you understand me?’
Alex gets off the ground in shock.
‘What happened to you?’
‘You know what happened.’
Alex shakes his head before he walks back to the encampment, not even looking back.
I want to shout at him, but I let him go. He’s learned his lesson for now. No need to take it further.
I look at the ground where I hit my son, at the shape of his body embedding the earth.
I hit my son. I hit him right there. Oh Gods, what have I done?

0