Part 3
225 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The strings of the pouch allowed her to swing it in wide circles as she walked along the cobblestone street. The village wasn’t that far, and she didn’t really mind the walk. The witch lived in a temperate area of the human realm. The sun had already started dipping down to the horizon, and every few feet a slow breeze would roll past.

The walk to the village went by quicker than she thought it was going to. Her thoughts caught up in what the faerie queen had told her.

All her life she had taken it for granted that while her life was different than other humans, it was all that was available to her. There was nowhere for her to run in any of the realms where she wouldn’t be found. They could all sense her, and most of them could summon her at will.

Except that now she knew a special truth. Very soon- soon enough at least- she would be able to separate herself from all of that. She would be able to get away from the hectic day-to-day life that came with so many supernatural parents. She would be able to cut ties with the grimy demons once and for all. She would be able to travel inside one realm- whichever one she chose.

Or…Addison suddenly realized, if she chose her powers smartly she could travel between the two at will. She could be alone or with family and friends.

The possibilities began to swirl around her mind so fast that they almost made her dizzy.

It felt like in the blink of an eye she had gone from reaching into the cauldron to smelling the chimneys of the villagers. They always cooked sweet-smelling things. Never potions and vile concoctions. The cauldron tainted the witches cakes and loaves of bread, and when she came back from the realm of the Fae she always lost her appetite.

A rush of breath escaped her lips. Restless seemed like an understatement. The whole set up just wasn't working for her anymore.

As her feet carried her passed the thresh-hold of wilderness and village proper, she pulled the pouch tighter into the palm of her hand. Swinging it around in front of the villagers wouldn’t get her anywhere pleasant. She had lost some respect that way before; and a few gold coins.

She moved down the main street, taking in deep breaths to smell everything she could. The winds carried it all her way, and her lips pulled upward to a wide smile despite the turmoil inside her.

“Hello Timmy,” she said when a dog began to bark. Her eyes hadn’t moved from the path in front of her, and her smile stretched as she heard a boy shushing his pet.

A few shops down from the duo, she turned and stepped up onto a slightly raised platform. The village offered no distinction between vehicles, animals, or pedestrians. The slab of concrete allowed enough room for the safety of a few display cases, and a place for her feet as she pushed the door open.

A whiny set of bells rang above her head- a jingle that let the owner know a customer had arrived.

“Welcome to Lori’s Herbalist Shop, How can I-” a sweet voice sang out, cutting off as she and Addison made eye contact. “Oh.”

“Thank you for the greeting, Lori,” Addison quipped. She clenched a fist around her pouch of coins, hoping they would keep her from making her palms bleed inside the store. Her face turned away from the counter to scan the shop. “Nightshade?”

Lori made a noise that wasn’t exactly discernible, but Addison could imagine her face. She had told Matilda that the villagers didn’t trust her- but they wouldn’t tolerate the witch at all. At least the weird little plain-faced girl was just an annoyance.

Addison always had gold and never dawdled. Even if no one thought she had any business being near their business.

There was a shuffling noise followed by a scrape, and then a loud thud. Raising her eyebrows Addison turned back around the counter. It seemed like a hefty amount of movement, and Lori was either unpacking stock or had just hauled a body onto her counter.

“Nightshade.” The woman said and pulled a crowbar above the counter.

“Sealed in the box?” Addison asked. She glanced around at the rest of the shop. She was certain that the other plants didn’t arrive that way and then continue to bloom.

“Dried. I just found a new supplier.” The woman wiggled her eyebrows and began to pull the top off the box.

“Do you…” Addison began as she took a step toward the commotion, “Can I get both?”

Lori let out a snort. “Sure. But its gonna cost you.”

6