Chapter 7: Don’t Mess with My Fairy
539 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I followed Celeste down the opposite side of this corridor and found myself gazing into an endless depth. An endless, deep, dark abyss lies before me. Well, it might as well have been one, since I'm supposed to just walk down there on high heels. I barely made it this far, almost falling three times. 

The staircase that lies before me is another display of wealth. It reminds me of those walnut staircases as seen in those classic movies. I'm grabbing the handrails as if my life depends on it, it may very well be. I WILL get down there, that's a fact. But in how many pieces....that's still open for debate.

No matter how many times Celeste tries to reassure me, I only go one step at a time. Don't forget that my dress even prevents me from seeing my own shoes!

After about five minutes, and a lot of sighing from the person next to me, I finally made it! 
Wait...why the heck didn't I just fly down there! Celeste must have seen the strange look on my face, but chose to ignore it. She just holds my hand and keeps pulling me...very carefully...towards the royal family. Somehow meeting them suddenly doesn't seem as much of a challenge anymore.

 

She knocks on the Tearoom door and waits for another attendant to open it. She gently pushes me forward, indicating that I should be the first to enter the room. 

In front of me I find yet another display of luxury. I had expected to find a small room with a round table, but guess what? Their idea of drinking tea is quite....fancy. 

The room is about the size of an average living room back on Earth. So not very small at all. A wooden table with many ornamental carvings, also well polished, is proudly placed in the middle of the room, immediately drawing everyone's attention. Its transparent glass surface shouts wealth to anyone who wants to hear it, and I can even see the floor right through it. 
Two big, comfy gray chairs are placed near each other on one side of the table. It's like they're made from fabric entirely, no wood to be seen at all. Both chairs are empty at the moment, a small pillow in one and a tiny white cloth placed on both headrests. Yes, they're tall chairs that reach up all the way to your neck. I bet you could easily fall asleep in those.

On my side, near the door, I see a similar sofa. Well, the back part of it anyways. It doesn't reach up to your neck, but still looks incredibly comfy.  Also nobody is sitting on the sofa either.

I carefully raise my dress a bit and step over the threshold Celeste warned me about a few moments ago.

 

A servant is waiting in the corner of the room and I see Celeste quickly but stealthily move from my back towards that attendant, but not before she closed the door behind me. 

Everyone so far seems to be a Cat-kin Fairy, including the royal family in this very room.

A man seemingly wearing business attire, a dark gray suit but without a necktie, well polished black leather shoes and a kind smile looks at me. That must be the King, no doubt about it. Oh my god, this is actually happening, isn't it?

Next to him stands his wife, the Queen. She's also smiling but there is a certain fire in her eyes, making me a bit wary. She's wearing what must be the most expensive fairy tale dress ever. Something that would make Cinderella instantly cry from jealousy.  It's a pleasant red with many small embroidered golden figurines on it. I only see the tips of her shoes, pointy and spotless white.

Next to her stands Melody, the Princess. She's the only one giving me an honest warm, caring smile. Probably because she knows me already. Her dress is a light blue summer dress, very nice, but not as exuberant as her mother's. I like it. Of course I'm wearing something similar to hers because it actually is one of hers. 

She didn't wear makeup in the carriage ride before, but her lips are a slightly more bright red. Definitely lipstick. Compared to her mother, her makeup is lighter....friendlier...I don't know, just...better I think. I don't care for people with too much makeup, it makes me feel they have something to hide. Oops...focus...focus!

"Please, do enter. No need to be shy." The King said, with his deep, male voice. But the request was sincere, nothing else but a sincere, kind request to enter. 

I take a few very, very careful steps forward now that Celeste isn't near me to catch me. I return the smile with my best imitation of what royals probably expect and try to walk in a dignified way around the sofa so I can introduce myself. Eh....should I shake hands?

I try to bow, but suddenly a sharp pain from my waist reminds me that I'm wearing that wretched corset, so that's not going to work.

"Eh....good afternoon your highnesses. I am Sasami, it's an honor to meet the royal family." I made sure to bend my knees a bit, but don't expect a curtsy. Well...how's that for an introduction?

Suddenly Melody starts giggling, but her mother quickly says "shhh" to her, while shaking her head. The Queen then looks at me again and says "Sasami, the honor is all ours. I am the Queen of this kingdom, Sienna."

"And I'm King Briar, welcome to Ebisawa Palace. Oh, and in case you wondered, our family name is Ebisawa. I'm likewise honored to meet the one who saved our daughter."

"Hi again, Sasami." Was all the Princess said, earning her another glare from her mother. I guess she was a bit too informal with me. I actually abhor this pointless display of formality.

"Please, Sasami, won't you sit down? Tea will be served soon," the Queen suggested.

"Thank you." And just before sitting down on the sofa, all the way to the right, near the King's chair, I remember that women don't just sit down like that. Let alone when wearing someone else's dress. I carefully and slowly let my hands slide on the back of the dress so I won't just sit on it in disgrace. 
And when I finally manage to sit down, I keep my knees together and slightly to the side. My god, the things I have to remember! But it seems that the Queen is pleased with this display of manners from my isekai knowledge.

The others sit down as well and I see that the other attendant has left us, probably preparing the tea. Celeste stealthy puts cups and saucers near us on the spotless table and it made me swallow from nervousness. I hope I won't mess this up. She quickly leaves us again, quietly preparing a little wheeled cart. I bet that's where the teapot will be put before serving us. Oops, I need to focus on the royal family.

"Sasami, for a Wild Fairy you do have exceptional social skills." The Queen said with a bit of sarcasm in her voice. Did she really just say that? 

"Well, eh, your majesty, all of my Clan are very kind and social."

"Mmm...not what I meant, but alright."  She seems to disagree?

The King takes over the conversation, intending to start a more interesting topic. And for what's worth, I appreciate that. I'm not one for noble talk. I'm actually not a very complicated person. "Sasami, Melody told us you and your friend fought off those Goblins?"

"Yes, your majesty, it happened in the heat of the moment. I...we would have helped anyone of course. It wasn't until later that I learned that Melody was a Princess. Eh...sorry, I meant her highness."

At this moment Celeste noticed a nodding Queen, indicating she had permission to start serving tea. She quietly pushes the cart near us and fills everyone's cup with steaming hot tea. And for some reason my stomach suddenly started making those awkward noises, at the moment you don't want it to happen.

Celeste winked at me and put a little plate near each cup. And then it happened.....a metal looking box with a cityscape painted on the side was placed in the center of the table. It's more commonly known as....a cookie jar. I really, really have to restrain myself...those look absolutely delicious and made me swallow.

Of course Melody had to giggle once more. Well, she's about my age, so why not? She must feel pretty the same way as I do...cookies are meant to be enjoyed, not looked at.

"Please, help yourself, Sasami." The Queen said with a smile.

I know this....this is a test. I can see it in her eyes and I've read about these kinds of situations. She wants to see how well versed in etiquette I am. And that's nearly zero...but I have my memories from novels and movies...so I'm not completely helpless here.

"Thank you, your majesty, but that would be inappropriate for me. Isn't it customary for the royal family to start first?" My god, I almost have to throw up from this pathetic aristocratic speech, but I have to get through this. I can't swim against the river. The faster I cooperate, the faster I can return to my Clan and actually have a life.

"Impressive, you really are well mannered, Sasami. Melody, you should be more attentive when learning manners, you can learn a great deal from her."

Melody and I exchanged glances, she could see I felt sorry for her. And she gave me an understanding smile, so we're good.

Sofar nobody told me to be on a first name basis with them, so I guess that's what they want. I don't like it, but I have to respect this world's customs.

 

Everyone sips their tea, so I do the same.  And I have to admit, it really is very flavorful. It reminds me of strawberry tea with a hint of cinnamon. An unusual combination, but not bad at all. I very carefully put the expensive looking cup back to its rightful place and sit back again. 

"Do you like this tea?" The Queen continues with pointless talk. I hope this won't go on all the time.

"Yes, I do. Its gentle aftertaste reminds me of home."

"Interesting, so you drink tea in your Clan as well?"

"Huh? Oh, no, I meant back on Earth. We had lots of different flavors, but most just tasted artificial somehow. This is a pure tea, filled with flavor."

"Amazing. So you have visited Earth. Not many Fairies have. Anyway, I'm glad you like it. It's my personal favorite."

It seems the Queen doesn't realize yet that I'm originally from Earth.

"Mother, may I?" Melody seems eager to get this conversation back on track.

The Queen raises her hand, showing Melody needs to wait. 

The others took a single cookie, so I took the little plate next to my cup and held it near the cookie box, trying to avoid any crumbs landing on the table. I put it on my plate and carefully sit back. Then I break the cookie into a few parts and put one into my mouth instead of just biting into it. This is as far as I'm willing to go with etiquette, I hate this kind of pointless behavior. It only costs energy to act like this. Cookies are meant to be enjoyed! Preferably many after each other!

I put the empty plate back on the table and then, for some odd reason, I fold my hands and accidentally say "may our Clan continue to be blessed." The words my fellow Clan members say after dinner. "Oh my god, I'm sorry. It...it just happened automatically." I put my right hand on my lips. I already feel  a blush forming on my cheeks.

The royal family looked at me with big eyes, not expecting this at all. But not even a second later the Queen smiles and says "don't worry, Sasami. Everyone has their customs. It was very respectful." In an attempt to switch to another topic she said "Melody, by all means."

At least my wings aren't glowing, so that's a big plus.

"Yes, mother. Right before I met Sasami in the forest this morning, I returned from our shrine and prayed for help fighting Goblins. I also prayed for your well being on Earth, Sasami. I didn't know you had already died by then. I'm so sorry for that."

I see her parents look flabbergasted...but Melody just continues. "Anyway, our deity hasn't answered our prayers for a very long time. Not even said a single word to our Priestesses for decades. But hearing you speak of a goddess earlier today, not a god....she must have answered our prayers instead! She brought us together for some reason."

I nod to Melody and reply "Yes, it seems that way. But I have no idea why she insisted that I visited you here in the Palace. I'm just happy to see you healthy again. When you were in my hands, I first thought you were just a little doll. But seeing Levia and Berry caring for you, I felt so incredibly sorry for you. You were so tiny and helpless. Well, I'm just happy to see you healthy again."

The Princess, who sits to my left on the sofa, then suddenly hugged me for a moment. "Thank you, I know you meant it. Without your help, I would have died by now."

"Indeed she would have." The King said, still with confusion in his eyes. But before I could reply, he continued "It seems that Melody was reluctant in sharing all details. She basically told us that Wild Fairies had saved her and you helped her before that." He looks, no, glares at his daughter for a moment. 

"Eh he he....sorry father. May I tell the complete story then?"

And so Melody told them all that had happened. I had to correct a few details, but basically she repeated everything that I had told her during the carriage ride, including the moment when I lost consciousness.

"And then she suffered the consequence of mana depletion. Sasami, it happens when you first start using your skills. So far everything you said seems to check out. There is no doubt in my mind that you were really a male human before. And now...you're Sasami." 
At this point her parents looked at each other, not knowing whether their daughter was losing her mind or just had a vivid imagination.

"So....you were a human male?" The Queen asked.

"Eh...yes.. But that was back on Earth. I died there and a very kind goddess offered me a new life here on Tallara. She gave me a new body, that of a Fairy woman. And I'm happy like this. And honestly...I don't like to talk about my past life. This is who I am now." I pointed at myself to emphasize that this is who I really am.

"I see. Well, don't worry about that. We won't discuss it with anyone else."  The King promised.

"Except for Celeste, because I already told her." Melody said.

The King looks at Celeste, who is waiting near the door, and says "Celeste!" 

Celeste quickly approaches the King and manages to bow, how strange, I can't do that! "Yes, your majesty?"

"You are not to discuss Sasami's past with anyone else besides us. Is that understood?"

"Of course, your majesty. I promise I won't speak about it to anyone else."

"Very good, please return to your duties."

Celeste nods and gracefully walks back to her stand-by spot near the door.

 

"Considering all you went through, it seems only fair that you remain here for a while. It's the least we can do to show you our gratitude." The King adds.

Then something snapped inside me. Stay here? No no no no....I can barely walk, talk or eat. Living like this for any longer? That's NOT an option!

"Bu...but your majesty. I must respectfully decline. I.....I want to go home...please."

The Queen seems to dislike my outburst, she's glaring at me. "You don't appreciate our kind offer?"

My god, I knew it! Under that composed look she's actually a vicious creature! I HAVE to get away from this place! Even Melody looked at her mother with total bewilderment. The King wanted to calm her down, but the Queen seems set on making me understand that I'm not in any position to deny a royal request.

"Sasami, it would be very rude if you left right now. I can understand that you are not used to this kind of life as a Wild Fairy, but not many Fairies get this opportunity. How long have you been a Wild one?"

I swallow and try to keep my distance, standing up from the sofa. I'm afraid she'll attack me. Don't ask me why, I just....don't like her. 

"Honey, you're scaring her. Stop it. She's our guest. Sasami, nobody is going to hold you here against your will. This is supposed to be our little gift of gratitude, but nobody will force you to stay here."

But I'm not convinced...the Queen's glare is now actually hurting me. She feels like a predator, and I'm caught in her web. I NEED to get out. For some reason tears are suddenly falling from my eyes. I run to Celeste and almost fell on the way to her. I then begged her, "PLEASE, open the door, please, help me, let me out!" I'm scared, really scared. 

Celeste just hugs me tightly but also rubs my back to calm me down. She doesn't speak loudly, but still manages to whisper a comforting "shhh....trust me." I nod while still in her embrace, so she releases me again.

The royal family is speechless. A crying mess is in front of them, seeking shelter with an attendant instead of them. 

 

Suddenly I hear the kind voice of the goddess in my head. "Sasami, honey, trust me. I will always protect you. I need you to stay with them for a while."

Without thinking I say out loud "yes, goddess, as you wish. I trust you."

This made the royal family look surprised at each other. Not sure whether they understood correctly.

I slowly approach them, still crying and say "<sniff> I don't want to, but the goddess asks me to stay here for a while. So I will obey."

"Obey, huh? Well, I'd rather have you here willingly." The Queen said in a cold tone of voice. 

"Now STOP it, Sienna. Why are you even like this?" The King doesn't understand why his wife even acts like she does.

"Because I don't trust her. Everyone can make up such a story. And now pretending to hear the goddess? I'm sorry if you all trust her, but I won't."

At that moment my wings start to glow, first a soft pink color, but then a very, very bright light shines in the room. It seems the goddess is as done with this pointless talk as I am. 

"Wh....what's that?" The Queen asks.

 

FLASH

 

The moment she finished asking her question, someone appeared in our midst. For some reason I can't move anymore, my arms and legs seem frozen....but I feel a very warm, loving, comforting feeling from inside. 

The person before appears to be a Fairy, but a bright golden aura shines around her. "Sienna, know your place. As of today I am the Guardian of all Fairies. You shall treat my beloved Sasami kindly. Her story contains nothing but the truth. Will you accept me and accept her? Or will you continue to be stubborn? Choose wisely. Choose NOW!"

The Queen's face is as white as a sheet, she's scared to her core. But there's nothing I can do, I'm frozen, I can't even bow to the goddess. 

All three of them kneel before her. "Goddess, I'm..I'm..sorry. I....I...don't know what to say....I'm sorry," the Queen replies, not even looking up at the goddess.

"Very well, you have chosen. Then you shall know that times are changing for the better soon. There are divine plans for Sasami. Treat her well. You shall now lead her to your Hall of Worship and let her have her class ceremony."

"Eh....yes, goddess!" 

"Good, now stop kneeling everyone. That is not what we Guardians desire. This might be important to you royals, but pureness at heart is what matters to us. I will leave Sasami in your care. Until we meet again." She turns around and winks at me.....and FLASH....she's gone.

My wings stop glowing and I'm just as flabbergasted as the others.

The Queen approaches me....shivering from the experience. I try to take a step back, but she starts crying and pulls me in a hug. "I'm so sorry, Sasami. Please forgive me. I thought you were a fraud. It took a goddess to open my eyes. Please, please forgive me."

I gently pat her back, not yet sure if I really should trust her. "Eh...yes, your highness."

"You mean it?"

"Yes, I do. But to be honest, you really scared the hell out of me back then."

She looks at me with teary eyes and says "I know...it's my fault. My skill.....the interrogation skill.  I shouldn't have used it on you."

"No.....it was terrifying. But please don't keep me against my will."

"I won't, I promise. Please tell me, how long have you been with the Wild Fairies?"

"Eh....about a day, I guess?"

"WHAT? Just a single DAY?" The King said. "That's.....no wonder you're so eh... emotional. Everything you told us happened so recently. Dying..new life..fighting..and then ending up here. It's just too much and you're still so young. We should have been more careful." His words are coming from his heart, that much I can tell.

"<sniff> Yes, I've been very emotional lately, I don't know why. Just the slightest remark is enough to make me cry. I'm used to more than this."

"You're a Fairy now. Don't expect to feel human anymore, my little one. It takes time for you to adjust to your new body." The goddess explained in my mind. I nodded to nobody in particular.

"Sasami, are you alright?" Melody asked, seeing my distant look.

"Yeah, I'm fine. just....lots to think about I guess."

"Sasami, would you please join me? I believe we shouldn't delay your trip to the Hall of Worship." The Queen said, not wanting to go against the goddess's commands.

"Oh, right. Do I need to change clothes or something? I really have no idea what to expect." I looked at my fancy dress, not sure if they have a dress for every single occasion.

"Well, yes actually, but don't worry about that. Celeste!"

"Yes, your highness?" Celeste quickly walked over to her, waiting for new orders. 

"Run over to the Priestess and tell her to prepare for a class ceremony at once."

"Yes your majesty, at once!" Celeste bowed and ran off so fast that I wondered if it was even appropriate, but the Queen seems to be okay with it.

The Queen motions for me to follow her and I simply do as she asks. "Melody, Briar, this will take some time. Tell Celeste when she returns to arrange for an early dinner, Sasami will be exhausted after this." Her husband nods and gestures to her to make haste and leave.

I'll be exhausted? You're kidding me, what the heck did I get myself into today?

22