Chapter 16: Secrets and Fairies
288 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This time I woke up in the office building where a while ago I read those magazines while pondering my existence. Honestly, this is an improvement already, no longer waking up in a back alley of the Spirit Realm. 

But for some reason I find myself walking through long corridors with only minimal lighting. Is it really dark here too? Or is it just my imagination that changes how this place looks? I shrug, who even cares?

Now that I'm here I should start my investigation about those Goblin attacks. The King, or rather father, wants to see some answers and he expects to get them from me, and soon too. Somehow it's really strange how events unfolded, the King now being my father and all. What would life have had in store for me if I had chosen to return to my Clan? Would I be happy now?

I shake my head, trying to clear the cobwebs in my mind. Focus, Sasami, focus. He wants answers, let's try to get some. Perhaps I can find some good books about Goblin behavior in that library?

I walk past several offices, each with a different name tag. 
"Reincarnation advisory office 243,"  "Planetary maintenance,"  "Library," just to name a few.

Okay, someone is playing tricks on me, that's exactly what I was looking for. Oh, and all interesting sounding offices are closed, bummer. I would just have a peek inside, nothing more I promise. But there's nobody here to complain to.

The "Library" door does open, and I suddenly find myself in the exact same room as before. Seemingly endless rows and rows of books can be seen and in the distance is that table where the magazines must still be.

In contrast to the corridors, the library is well-lit, but again no soul is to be found here. Is it really that much to ask for a librarian?

"Ahem."  A deep sounding voice startled me from behind.

"My god, you startled me." I replied with my hands on my heart. Wait, do I even have a heart when I'm up here? Nevermind that for now.

A rather tall Dragon-like person complete with tail and horns, probably in his seventies, is scanning me from top to toe. A librarian perhaps?

"Miss, you asked for a librarian?" The Dragon kindly asks.

"Eh, yes. Your timing is impeccable. I'm Sasami, and I'm looking for some background information on Goblins, oh, and those Furlings as well, please."

"Mmm......yes...I have what you need. This way please." He motions for me to follow him.

I swear we walked for about five minutes until we reached the correct shelf. He takes two large, dusty books from the shelves and hands them over to me.

"There, those should have the information you're looking for. Don't take them with you, please. And when you're done, just put them back there....and......here."

I take the two books in my arms and feel their massive weight. I'm just a Fairy, but somehow I'm able to carry those two books easier than I had imagined from their looks.

"Will do, alright. Thanks...for.......where did he go?"  He just vanished....leaving me all alone with these two books.

 

I found a nice reading spot in the corner, a desk with an old fashioned reading desk lamp, making me feel like I traveled back to the early 1940s. Honestly, this place looks just like Earth did back then. There are even windows with window blinds here. I peek through them and see exactly what I had expected. 

This place appears to be located in New York City in the 1940s, complete with classic cars and all. I guess my mind really is making this place up as I go. Next time I'll try something else, if I have the time. It's night time outside and the streets have limited visibility due to some night time fog it seems. In the distance I hear a ship sounding their fog horn, but only for a second or two. Creepy....this place is beyond real. I could walk out there and just be back on Earth, it's that real to me.

 

Alright, here we go. First the Furlings. I skip to somewhere in the middle of the book, just to get an idea if this book is useful at all. And surprise, surprise, the book explains concepts in Earth terms...convenient....but creepy.

"Species summary. 
Furlings are quadrupedal furry animals very similar to foxes. They however have wings and are perfectly capable of flight, albeit slow. They mainly feed on roots and nuts, rarely chasing rodents for nourishment. These mostly herbivore beings have evolved from tree dwelling creatures over the course of a millennium into a species capable of speech and are developing a rudimentary culture. 

Right after first being named (*see note 1) by a local Spiritwalker named Sasami, these beings have started to develop a more advanced culture, focussing for the first time on the skills provided by the deities.
*Note1: even though other races have named them, only the name Furlings was accepted by these beings to name their race."

 

 

I look at the back cover and it says "Last updated: yesterday." 
"Wow......I'm really mentioned in a book? Wow...."

 

I continue to read. "Furlings are highly territorial, but kind beings. Males can fight by displaying their wings and making loud sounds, but don't seek physical confrontation. Even when fighting with another Clan, hurting others is considered unfair play. While these beings have evolved fast compared to the other races, they don't have a deity assigned to them, but still honor the deities by creating figurines thought to resemble the gods. True culture only started about 200 years ago due to an unintended encounter with the Guardian of the Wolfkin, who blessed these beings for their kindness. Further progress will be made when...%@#$%@#$%@#$%"

Great, I can't read the rest of the book. Perhaps that's the future? Who knows?

And just when I put back the book about the Furlings on the shelf where it belongs, a yellow note falls to the polished floor. 

The note says "Sasami.....get into the corridor now. No, don't worry about the books."
Eh...okay? It already answered the question that had formed in my mind. Okay, who am I to judge the gods...eh...guardians?

For now, I put the books on the floor and walk into the corridor but don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Ah, there's a window in this corridor too, but all the way to the end. What is it with these corridors and windows at the end? Is my mind really that limited? This time I look out into the San Francisco bay area where even more fog is building up, but there are lights everywhere....meaning a more recent time in history.

"AAhhhhhh!!!!" Suddenly something zapped me, making me lose control over my muscles and making me fall to the floor. I can't move at all!

Then I hear footsteps approaching...louder and louder, definitely moving this way. "Finally found you, you airhead!" 

I can barely move my head and focus on my attacker....."You!" It's the former Guardian of the Fairies, the one who got sent back to Talllara as a mere mortal for punishment. He shouldn't even be up here!

"Ha ha ha....your vocabulary is impressive. Yes...me." He shakes his head and bends over laughing loudly. "Not so smart anymore, are we? You and I....have unfinished business. No no, don't worry, you can't talk. I made sure of that. It's been a while, hasn't it? Awwww.......can't run....don't worry, you'll be dead in a minute, this only takes a few moments. My divinity is almost gone, but I have enough left for a final action....revenge. What? You want to know why? Ha ha ha, sure, why not? You're about to end anyway.

Remember those tornadoes a few years ago? Yeessss.....those tornadoes. The ones which should have wiped your sorry existence from Earth. If you had only stayed at home, you would never have become this lame Fairy you are now. You could have died a proud human, but noooo.....you managed to avoid my wrath. Yes.....I knew about you back then....what you would do......but...here we are for attempt number two. And this time you ARE going down, missy. Yes, I can read your mind....I love it.......you feel that your end is near. Go ahead...continue, that makes me feel divine ha ha ha ha. 

Those Goblins? Yes, that's me too, but you don't have to worry about them with that pretty little empty head of yours anymore. Fairies are retarded, obsolete beings of magic. All other races are real. Imagine the disgrace I felt the moment they made me Guardian of those wretched Fairies.......  The same day I vowed to end their miserable existence. Real beings like the Kitsune or even Goblins, those beings have a real future. There is no need for Fairies anymore, life can go on without you bunch of nasty pests.

You thought a thousand Goblins was all we had? HA! It was just a test to see what you had in you. And surprise, surprise, you are pathetic! A lame excuse for a Spiritwalker. Only one third of the Goblins perished by your hands before you depleted your mana. Truly an abysmal performance for one blessed by the gods. Even while we speak the Goblins are breeding an army the size of your country. Next week.......none of you shall exist anymore....and I shall take back my rightful place among the gods. But even that is only the beginning of my Grand Design. All of you are over....expired...dead...but then again, you won't be there to see it happen, won't you? And now....it's nightie nite for you, little dead Fairy! And I'll make sure you won't even reincarnate anywhere ever again. DIE YOU VERMIN!"

I'm shivering and shaking all over, but manage to pull all my strength together to shout a single word...."GODDESS!!!!!" 

I see a flash and assume that I'm dead......but instead I find myself back at the Palace, lying on the floor. The blankets are further away, I must have tossed and turned a few moments ago. I'm drenched in sweat, breathing heavily....taking a few seconds to come to my senses.

What the heck was that? Was it a nightmare? No, that was freakin' real, no nightmare, I'm sure of it. 

I walk to a closet and take a towel to dry off my sweat and then put on fresh underwear. Finally I put on my Spiritwalker outfit and open the balcony doors. Air! Fresh air. 

But the air isn't that fresh at all. Tonight is a very warm summer night, even the gentle breeze feels warm. That must be why I was sweating like crazy back then. Strange, it wasn't so warm during the day? Might be normal here for all I know, whatever. Not now. The sky is completely devoid of clouds, showing the starry sky. It's probably around midnight as I don't see any indication of daylight on the horizon.

After breathing in the air for a few minutes, I walk back into my room and try to find someone to talk to. I just have to talk about this, but I don't want to wake anyone.

Only now do I realize that tears are leaving my eyes....I must have been crying since I woke up. Such an evil guardian. He killed my family.....FOR ME!!!  Just because he knew I would become the Spiritwalker and the one to dethrone him! He already knew back then!

Quietly I walk through the corridors, trying not to wake anyone. I take the stairs down until I'm on the first floor. It's dark alright, everyone is fast asleep. Heck, I don't even see any guards. Aren't they supposed to guard this place at night?

I walk to the kitchen but it's also deserted. God, I'd love a cookie right now. Anything really, anything to eat and hope that it was just a bad dream.

I finally decide to head outside and take the side entrance only to find a guard right outside that door.

"Halt! Who goes there?" A male voice, not too loud, demands.

"It's Sasami. I need some fresh air."

"Oh, Princess? I'm afraid you won't find any here. It's the first dawn Zephir of the season, bringing a heat wave to this region."

"Ohh, so that's what's happening. Hey? Did you just call me Princess?"

"Yes, Princess."

"Alright....call me impressed. Word travels fast around here."

"Yes, Princess. It's safer for you to be inside, or perhaps I can help you?"

"Sorry, but I need to be outside. I just had a terrible nightmare."

"Ohhh.. I see. Well, I must guard this location, so I'm afraid I'm not really the one you should be talking to right now."

"Yes, you're right of course. I'll be in the gardens."

"Yes, Princess, don't be startled by the other guards."

"Oh, right. Thanks for the tip. Good night."

"Yes, likewise, but morning will arrive soon. Perhaps an hour or less before light will return to us again."

"Wow, very poetic. Bye."

 

I walked into the gardens, but it's really quiet here as well. I had hoped to see some Kitsune activity, but the streets are deserted. So instead I decided to walk to my friends, the Buggos.

The gate slowly opens and the hinges creak, but not too loudly.  I close the gate and walk to the stables, only to be stopped again by another guard. The guard explains to me that the Buggos were just fed as they wake early and go to sleep early as well, compared to us Fairies that is.

I decide not to disturb their breakfast and head back to the garden near the street and just wait until the others wake up. Perhaps I will get to see a few familiar Kitsune faces.

This place sure is great. I don't need my jacket and the crickets are still chirping loudly in the summer breeze. It smells differently too, the smell of grass is in the air. 

 

At some point I'm finally feeling relaxed and feel confident that life will continue after my nightmare. It wasn't real...only felt that way.

When I suddenly find myself standing in a grassy field, seeing the sun rising on the horizon, I know that I'm dreaming again. That's what you get as a Spiritwalker....real dreams or...real Spirit Realm, you never know for sure. A path in the distance leads to a forest and all around me are golden crops like grain, gently waving in the breeze. This place is truly amazing.....like a painting, but very real.

"I'm glad you like it." 

I know that voice. I turn around and see the Kitsune goddess smiling. She walks to me and gives me a heartfelt hug.

"Yes, this place is truly beautiful. Peaceful."

"I know, that's what you need after what you experienced. And yes....it was very real. Not a nightmare."

I start crying and feel her hand on the back of my head, pushing me closer into her shoulder.

"Go ahead...take all the time you need. I'm here to tell you that he won't harm anyone ever again. He's gone for good. But we deities believe that he had some help getting into the Spirit Realm.....and...we'll look into it."

"Thank you <sniff> for rescuing me. So I guess you wrote that note in the library?" I managed to say....but not without stopping to swallow multiple times.

"Awww.....you are very welcome, Sasami. And yes I did. There was no other way to get him to spill that information, it will be most helpful. I'm sorry if it seemed you were alone there, but in reality I never left your side. Now, dear, please tell me...are you feeling at least a bit better now?"

"Yes, thank you very much, goddess."

"Anytime, dear. Now it's time for you to wake up, they're looking for you. Oh, and no more zapping. Your skills have settled...they're ready. Go and practice!"

That made me smile. "I will, thank you!"

When I open my eyes I notice that I have been sleeping against my mother's shoulder.

"Good morning Sasami. Are you feeling better? You have been crying for a while."

 

I explained to her what had happened and she simply embraced me. "I'm so sorry Sasami, for all those things you have to go through. Your nightmare is now over. But for what's worth....you are making excellent progress with your investigation. It's good to know the deities are looking into this. It would be unfair for you to figure out all of this on your own. Tell me, honey, are you still sleepy, or ready to start your life as a Princess?"

"No.....I'm ready, mother. But I just want to have some peace and quiet already." 

She kissed me on my forehead, then said "I know, honey. Very well, I will inform your father and Melody about these events while you take a relaxing bath. Don't worry about the time....just relax. You need it."

 

After my more or less voluntary bathing session, I'm wearing a royal dress again...including one of those wretched corsets. But I adamantly refused the high heels.
Mother seemed very happy to see me like this. She told me that my braided hair complemented the "Sasami" look, no idea what that was about, but she seemed happy. And yes, I saw her stare at my flat shoes and she was kind enough not to comment on it...until I was about to head outside.

"Don't worry, daughter of mine....there's still plenty of time for you to practice wearing heels."

Ouch....so close....I was so close to leaving this room with my dignity intact, but she still managed to shatter it completely.  My shoulders relaxed, slumped very unladylike and I looked back at her.."'<sigh> yes, mother, I'll try. Soon." Let's just ignore the giggles I heard from Melody, she must really enjoy seeing me suffer wearing those heels.

 

Great, finally some me-time. No traveling to the Spirit Realm, no battles to be fought, not even visiting the market with Celeste. I asked her, but she told me I should just relax. But that's exactly the frustrating part...if everyone reminds me to relax....it is not relaxing! I just want to go somewhere, do something...have some fun.

I wanted to help Celeste, when I noticed her and a few other people I have not seen before, putting my bed back into my bedroom. So no more sleeping on the floor.....<sigh>....I seem to be losing many battles here. I loved those blankets, but alas....that's a small price to pay for living with a family again. And yes, I wanted to help but they just shooed me away. In a respectful manner, but yes, still shooed away like the useless Princess I appear to be. Well, I don't mind being a Princess, but they could have also just adopted me without the title....whatever, best not to think about it. 

Perhaps I'll get to experience a Princess's life from up close and enjoy a fairytale myself? Juck, there go those thoughts again....I swear, someone's making me start liking dresses, romantic evenings, dancing, walking hand in hand......ugh...again?!! 

I close my eyes, hoping to get an answer from one of the many deities, but nobody feels the need to reply. So they ARE making me feel this way, I KNEW it. Guilty unless proven otherwise. Now that I think about it, why can't I visit one of the other deities? That bunny-lady was kind...and those ears looked so cute. 

"Ha ha ha....you've been standing here in the Spirit Realm, daydreaming for five minutes and haven't even realized you're already visiting me!"

I turn around in total embarrassment, my cheeks quickly showing the exact same thing through blushing.

"Eh.....goddess? I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to...eh....insult you or anything...."

In front of me is that bunny goddess from back then, and she's still cute. She's wearing a brownish skirt similar to my Spiritwalker outfit, and it really suits her. Her long ears proudly stand at attention, probably picking up even the least noticeable sounds. I can't see her tail from here, but I won't stare. Oops, did it again, forgot she can read my mind!

She turned around and wiggled her tail, a compact white fluffy circle of pure fluff. Then she gave me a quick hug, and said "awww....what a nice thing to think of me, Sasami. But to answer your question from earlier....nobody is making you feel like a Princess. You are who you are, Sasami..a young girl, no....a young woman whose heart naturally longs for these things. Is it really wrong for you to feel happy?
You're a woman! Isn't it what you've always dreamed of? Now you get to wear the most ridiculous...eh...I meant most expensive dresses available and....you're feeling what? Guilty? Just relax dear, and enjoy life!"

My blush isn't going anywhere for a while, of that I'm completely sure. "Goddess....you aren't the goddess of love by any chance, are you?"

"Huh? No honey, I'm not. But I'll gladly be one for you? Here's my advice....just open your heart and allow yourself to be vulnerable. Just like that night when you danced with....well, you know. So, embrace who you are and just.....go with the flow. Be happy. Ha ha ha, just listen to me, giving bunny advice to a Fairy."

I didn't want to ask for that kind of advice, but still....she's nice. "Ah...eh....I don't mind, goddess. I'm really happy you stopped by for this."

"Oh no no no....you're the one who stopped by. But it's okay. You're always welcome here."

I look around and can't determine the location, but I believe her. It must be her part of the Spirit Realm I'm trespassing in. "Eh... just a thought.....why don't I see any bunny people near our city?"

"Awww.....I'm sorry, honey. They live on another continent. You might see one or two in your region, but don't expect to see many. They are kind and warm people, but unfortunately Fairies are tiny in comparison. But still, you would be more than welcome in their cities."

"Yes, I guess that's just the way it has to be. I'd love to walk around like the Kitsune or..or...or your bunny people even. Being a Fairy is nice and all, and I chose this life of course, but still....it would be nice if we could...eh like just hug each other and not die in the process."

"Awww....I can see you meant that. Do you need a hug?"  

And she immediately gives me another hug. She's really one of the hugging types, can't say I hate it, she's very nice.

"Well, Sasami. Being a goddess comes with perks. I already checked with the supreme goddess.....and luckily she agreed. I only gave you my general blessing to increase your stats, but now.....you'll find something interesting in your skill list, thanks to her. Use it wisely and have fun, that's what life's supposed to be about."

"Eh....thank you? Oh, and if you like, you can also visit me whenever you, well, have the time or something?"

"Awww...I could keep hugging you all day, Sasami, and never grow tired of it. You are one huggable Fairy, let me tell you that. But now it's time to go, we both have...eh...stuff to do, yes. Stuff, that's the word I was looking for. Bye bye." She gently waved her hand the way you say "bye bye" to a toddler. 

 

Anyway...I've returned to reality....still standing in the corridor near my bedroom. Wow, she's a really nice goddess isn't she? Oh...."Eh....Fairy goddess and Kitsune goddess...all of you....you are nice too, okay? I mean, just saying, because I know you can read my mind....don't want to sound ungrateful or anything." I heard a giggle in my mind....good....all is fine as it should be. 

Oh, right, that skill, let's see what it is about. Suddenly a popup message appears before me. "New skills added: Kitsune shapeshift and Bunny jump."

 

I looked up and barely managed to dampen my shout "thank you!!!!" But it was already too late, a guard ran over to me and Celeste also appeared with a worried look on her face.

"Eh...sorry everyone. All's fine....the goddess just gave me a new skill!"

Celeste walked over to me. "Aahhhhh! Sasami! Please don't shout inside the Palace! Or even outside for that matter...just think about your mother!"

"What about her?" And sure enough my mother is already standing behind me. How DOES she do that? Is she psychic? 

"No honey, I just happened to be on this floor and heard you shout. Tell me, what is that skill about?"
She motioned the others to resume their duties and they immediately left us alone. 

"Mother! I just visited a goddess. The one responsible for the bunny people? She talked to the supreme goddess and now I have a new skill!"

"I don't know what's more impressive. Having a new skill, or casually talking to the gods as if they were your friends?"

"Huh? But they ARE my friends?"

"Ha ha ha, of course they are, Sasami. I didn't mean anything by that. Now, what's your skill that makes you so excited?"

"It allows me to shapeshift into a Kitsune!"

"Mmmm.....that might prove really useful. Some day."

"Yeah, oh may I pet the Buggos?"

"Ha ha ha, sure, they are yours too now, but mind your dress dear."

"Oh, right. Oh! Mother?"

She turned back, almost out of hearing range.

"Yes, what is it?"

"May I test that new skill now?"

"Ha ha ha, I'm so happy to see you excited and brimming with energy. Sure, just be careful" She smiled once more and then left me to visit the Buggos.

 

Just when I'm about to open the doors to the stables, wanting to visit the Buggos, I heard children's voices and the voice of a woman nearby. 

"Mommie, I'm hungry!"

"Shh...be quiet, I have to kill him first!"

"But Mommie!"

"No! I will have his life, then you can eat!"

My god! I have to stop this, someone is about to get stabbed!

"Guard!" I shout.

A guard quickly runs over to me. "What is it, Princess?" He looks around, readying his spear. Wait...a spear? Whatever..focus!

"There! Someone was talking about killing someone!"

The guard quickly nods and investigates the area. I wait a few seconds and then choose to follow him.

When he returns he says "there isn't anyone there, Princess. Perhaps your shout scared them away? I will ask for another guard here in the back, just in case."

"Oh....thank you very much for your hard work."

"Don't mention it."

And again I want to go to the Buggos and hear the same voice. "Mommie.....I'm hungrrrrrryy."

"Shhhh! There's someone outside!"

Could it be that they're hiding inside the stables?

I motion the guard to approach me silently, I put a finger on my lips and show him to be silent. Then I pointed to him where the sound came from.

He nods and forcefully opens the stable doors. "HALT, in the name of our King!"

Different voices scream at the same time.
"Intruder!!!!"   "AAhhhh!!!"    "Mommie!!"      "Stay back from my children!!!!"   could be heard.

But after a few moments a confused looking guard walked over to me.

"Princess....there are only Buggos inside. They were about to attack me, no doubt startled by my entry into the stables."

"Are you really sure?"

"Yes, Princess."

"Guard, let me be really honest. I'm not pranking you. I really, really heard that. I'm not lying."

"Pran...king? Who's that? And no, I know you were serious, Princess."

"Pranking means that you want to fool someone, making them do something silly. But again, I am very serious."

"Good, then by all means, walk into the stables and look for yourself."

I slowly open the door and find really terrified looking Buggos there. As soon as the mother sees me, she relaxes visibly. "Sasami, child! You came to our rescue!"

Oh? Ooooohhhhhh.....that's the same voice as earlier. Don't tell me.....she was the one planning a murder?

"Hi there...good to see you. Did you just say you were about to kill someone?"

"Yes! That fly has been annoying me all morning!"

And sure enough a fatter that fat fly buzzed loudly over my head where my sensitive ears twitched from the annoying sound. I can see why they wanted to get rid of the fly. It was big. Like really big.

"Princess, are you alright? You are a....eh....quacking?"

I look at the guard and smile. "Guard, the mystery has been solved. Those Buggos wanted to kill a fly, that's all."

"Eh...that's all, huh? Whatever you say, Princess. But I'll have to report this."

"Sure, please do. And sorry for pulling you away from your duties, they really said they wanted to kill someone."

"So.....you can talk to them?"

"Yes, I can. It's a skill I received from my goddess."

"Oh? Ohhh.....I'm sorry for doubting you, Princess."

"No worries, and thanks again."

The guard left me, leaving me all alone with the Buggos.

 

"Come here, child." Mother Buggo just invited me to join in her nest.

"I'm sorry, eh, mother, but I can't. This dress is important, or I will be punished."

"Oh, I see. Then at least can you get something to eat for us? We are fed every morning, but not this morning. I'm starving and so are my children."

Huh? But the guard said they were already fed?
"Really? I will make sure to complain on your behalf. This should never happen, you are very important to us."

"Awww.....I wish you would join me, let me cuddle you."

"And I'd love the same, mother, but I can't today. Let me get something for your tummies."

 

It took some time to find the responsible person. It seems human, eh, Fairy error. Just miscommunication between the caretakers. The Buggos were fed at once and I enjoyed the many cute sounds the Buggos made while eating. They really are adorable.

7