Chapter 19: A Gift Fit for a Fairy
288 8 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Point of view: Queen Sienna in Ebisawa Palace ]

She's only been gone for half a day, but I miss her already. When Sasami's around, the Palace is brimming with life. I can see it in our attendants' eyes....they respect her, no, they adore her. When she's in a good mood, so are they. When she cried yesterday.....even they were sad. She has this special effect on people, I don't know how she does that. Ha! Even the Buggos adore her, but that might be just because she's as Wild as they are.

She probably doesn't even realize how much she has brought our family closer together, it's just who she is.

"My daughter, life sure is difficult for you. I can only hope and pray that the gods are watching over you."

I take her necklace in my hands. It was just lying here on her desk, not hidden away in a drawer like I would have done. She's not a complicated person, and still....the gods ask her to do the impossible.

"Be safe, honey. Wherever you are. Come back home soon."

 

[ Point of view: Sasami, Earth ]

I'm now walking parallel to the runway, a military one at that. And so far nobody has stopped me, but I know...

"STOP!"  An armed guard just shouted in my direction, a weapon in his hands....directed at me.

Yep, I jinxed it again. I immediately stop walking, turn to face him and raise my hands to show him that I mean no harm.

"Identify yourself." He asked, a bit more calm than before.

"I'm second lieutenant Wells, and I'm trying to locate an intruder."

"Show me your ID, but slowly..."

For some reason I reach for the ID that I know I shouldn't even have...but manage to find a badge around my neck, attached to a lanyard. I show the badge to the guard and he seems to study it for a moment.

"Alright, Lieutenant, your ID checks out. Can you describe the intruder to me? I'll ask for more security."

Oh dear....what rank does this guy even have? Then...somehow the information just entered my mind....
"Yes, Airman, I know he's a male and is trying to pass as one of us, uniform and all. I expect him to arrive any moment now, so please stay back. This guy is armed to the teeth and your P90 won't make a dent in the experimental armor he's wearing."

"What? Are you kidding me, Lieutenant?" He lowers his P90 and his expression tells me that he's seriously doubting my sanity.

"No Airman, that's not a joke, I wish it were. Stay back and try to cover me, but make a run for it when I deem it necessary."

"Yes, ma'am." 

"Good, and you should know that this is a matter of national security, and I have to try to reason with him first. If he won't budge...I'll take him out. Now contact the Tower and ask them to close this runway, so we can attempt to apprehend the intruder alive."

"Copy that, ma'am. But...you don't even seem to carry a weapon. How are you going to take him out?"

"Let's just say I have a few tricks up my sleeve myself....stuff you guys can't use just yet." I grinned, emphasizing the suggestion that I'm carrying a new type of weapon.

"Oh...I see. Yes ma'am, I understand." 

 

After he radioed the Tower and Security, we both took cover behind the nosewheel of an F16, waiting for Brelb to arrive. For some reason I know how to speak to the guard, and he seems unaware of the fact that I'm not even human. I just hope we are not too late.

"Just one more minute....right in front of you, Alisha...."  Earth's guardian's voice just said in my mind, subtly reminding me about the name I should use.

I nod, touching my left ear, pretending to talk into a special ops earpiece. "Copy that. Airman, he will arrive within a minute, dead ahead." I pointed towards the runway and the massive C5 Galaxy parked across it.

"Understood. But may I ask how you know?"

"My team just informed me." I tapped at my invisible earpiece. "They have tailed him for a long time, we know his MO. First he'll appear in a flash, trying to confuse people near him. Then he'll try to sneak into a building, attempting to place explosive charges in key areas in case he fails. So far he has already tried to launch Tridents remotely and then twice tried to gain physical access to an ICBM site, and we definitely don't want that to happen a third time. The damage to the facilities was substantial."

"You've got to be kidding me...ma'am." 

"Nope.....now zip it and don't give your position away. Let me..."

 

FLASH 

 

"Crap, that's him."  I crouch and see Brelb appear out of thin air. He's wearing an air force uniform and for some reason looks like he forgot to shave. Definitely not the right disguise, idiot.

I stand up and shout "Go to the Tribunal or die!"

He quickly scans the area, looking very surprised, then quickly notices me standing near the fighter plane.

"Really? You're still following me?" He looks very annoyed and then very audibly curses. He points his left hand towards me, and I'm already preparing a counter attack in my mind.

"Last chance!" I shout to him, raising my hand as well. I'm serious....not gonna ask again.

"Ha! Surrender? NEVER!" He now points his right hand at me as well and shouts "Divine Darts!"

Crap! I immediately shouted the counter skill I had prepared a while ago, anticipating this move...."FoxFire!"


Many dark darts are fired in our direction, but none of them have the chance to even approach us. From both my palms, huge blue laser beams are fired at Brelb, instantly vaporizing the darts. There is nothing normal about this skill, it's definitely enhanced thousands of times by Earth's guardian! A welcome side effect is that one of the beams grazed Brelb.

"AAHHHH!!!!!" Brelb's left arm is roasted, barbecue style, but he quickly seems to recover. "What ARE you? You should be dead by now, Sasami! Or should I say....dead AGAIN, Ian?" He runs to the C5 Galaxy, trying to find cover. He underestimated me once, but won't do that again. Then I see him run away, heading for a building.

I quickly turn to the Airman behind me and shout "AIRMAN! Get the heck out of here!"
He immediately follows my order and runs away, out of harm's way.

When I try to chase Brelb, I quickly realize that he's simply too fast for me.

 

Suddenly I notice two airport security trucks heading into my direction and I wildly gesture to move closer to me. 

"Need a lift?" An officer asked me once his truck stopped next to me. 

"Hell yes, follow him, he's an intruder!"

"Yes, ma'am!" 

I hopped onto the back of the truck and my driver put the pedal to the metal....only needing ten seconds to approach him. Suffice to say that I needed every ounce of strength in order to not lose my balance.

I fired a skill from up here..."Pixie frenzy!" One of my favorite skills from back in the forest days. 
And sure enough about a dozen tennis ball sized orbs of multicolored lights homed in on him. Even those are huge compared to their regular size, when they look like toy marbles.

"Ahh!! Waaaaaaahh!"  It was enough to make Brelb fall, but only for a moment. 

I hop off the truck and order the driver to get the hell out of here, and he follows my orders at once.

"Divine Fire!" He called for another skill, but nothing happened. "WHAT? How.....?" He quickly stands up and calls for another skill while I walk towards him, feeling really, really pissed.

"Void Strike!" This time fireballs in the form of bullets headed right towards me.

Shit, I thought he was disabled! "AAAAAHHHH!" One of them hit my right leg, and another one just went right through my right shoulder. I fall to the ground and immediately remember that I can actually die here, nobody will protect me this time....it's either him or me.

"I FREAKIN' HATE GOBLINS!!!!!" While still lying on the ground, I point at him with my left hand and shout "Energy shock!" It was the only skill I could think of and I just hoped for the best. And without delay Brelb started to convulse, obviously enjoying a divinity enhanced electrocution.

"AAAAAAAAHH!" He fell down too, now both of us are cursing near each other, while trying to survive.

The second I wanted to fire another skill, he beat me to it. "Pyro Lash!"

I shout my trump card, my last resort, "JUMP!" A nice skill, courtesy of a very cute goddess with bunny ears.

Without any warning I fly high into the air, manage to avoid his skill and then land very close to this being of pure evil, but cry out in pain when I land on the concrete in a very wrong way. "AAAAAAAAH!"  My right leg is fractured, I can't "AAAAH" freaking walk on these! The pain is almost unbearable, I'm bleeding and can only move because of the massive loads of adrenaline flooded into my system.

Don't ask me why, but I took my gifted knife and stabbed him in his legs, preventing him from escaping.

"AAAAAAHHH!  You....AAAAAAAAH......Virmin!......Ahhhhh!" 

I could swear the knife wasn't attached to my Air Force uniform, but when I needed it.....it was there.
Then I decided to release all of my pent up anger on this cursed Goblin. I feel that I'm about to die, but I'll take this guy with me!

And once more I see him preparing for another attack, but I already shouted  "DIVINE RETRIBUTION!" 
But....I don't even know that skill! Why did I even say that?

He stops, ready to deflect my attack, but nothing happens. "Huh? HA HA HA, you're out of mana, dumb dumb! I can't believe it....now it's my turn....say bye bye!" His grin is pure evil.

 

 

But before he could launch the attack, a massive tornado of all things decided to move our way. The wind seems so strong, but doesn't touch anything around me. A massive, black tornado with green energy particles in it everywhere, is now pulling him away from me. The sound is deafening, roaring. 

He still managed to launch another attack, but his magic moved backwards, absorbed right into the approaching tornado. "Noooo!!!!! You damn Fairy, DIE!" 

And another attack was absorbed all the way into the sky. There's no way for me to survive this as I'm in too much pain to run away, not even able to think properly anymore. I now feel massive winds pulling me closer to the center of the tornado and I see Brelb getting sucked in already...."Nooooooooo!!"

A very bright flash follows almost immediately and the tornado just falls apart into a gentle breeze before disappearing into the nothingness it came from.

All I could do was laugh about the irony of this. I shouted into the sky. "Ha ha ha ha.....and so it ends, you bloody, freakin' Goblin! The day you sent that tornado after my family...you awakened the Fairy in me. NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING FAIRY, IDIOT!!! Bye bye! Don't forget to write! Ha ha ha!!!"  

Suddenly many brightly colored orbs start spinning around me, making me dizzy trying to focus on them. 
Only seconds later I lost consciousness due to the incredible pain and loss of blood...

 

 

 

"Miss.....for crying out loud. WAKE UP, Lieutenant!" A male voice shouts.

I open my eyes and find myself sitting upright in a hospital bed, my heart beating in my throat. 
"WHAT WHAT?" I shouted while looking around me to find the danger I had expected to find.

"Easy now, lieutenant!" A medical officer just ordered me to relax.

I take a deep breath and then slowly exhale...slowly beginning to remember what had just happened. Did I....win?

"You sure did, Alisha......Sasami. Oh...and that means I was allowed to heal you. You are back under my protection now, so you're safe until you go home. And....you're welcome." I heard the guardian's voice in my mind, he sounded very....relieved.

I replied in my mind with a "Thank you. Oh, you already knew I was going to say that....nice." For some reason I was staring at the ceiling while grinning.

"Lieutenant, are you alright?" The medical officer standing near the foot of my bed said. He must be questioning my sanity. Wouldn't be the first time today someone did that.

"Huh? Oh, yes I am now."

"Good, I have Major McKenzie here for you. He wants you to answer a few questions, are you up for it?"

"Eh, sure doc. I'm fine."

"Ugh, why does everyone have to call me doc? Suit yourself, Lieutenant."

I smiled at his annoyed reply when he left and then touched my legs and my body in general, but don't seem to find any injuries anymore. I'm really healed! My uniform however.....gone....I'm wearing a hospital gown now. They probably provided first aid on the runway, cutting my uniform to pieces.

The curtain around my bed opens up again and another officer approaches me. It seems the major is waiting for me to salute...really?

I salute him while still sitting on the bed and say "Major, how can I help you?"

He returns the salute and sits down in the chair next to me. "I'm Major McKenzie, Lieutenant Wells. First of all, you don't seem to exist.There's no Alisha Wells serving in the US Air Force at this moment. Care to tell us who you really are?" 

Great, not a guy for small talk. I frown and doubt whether to tell him the truth or not.

The guardian helps me again "go ahead, tell him. Don't worry, I will make sure you won't say anything I want you to keep secret."

"Oh....okay. Eh.....sir, I'm not actually human." There, I said it.

"You what?" He looks quite serious...then confused...and back to serious again.

"Major, my real name is Sasami and I'm not even human. I traveled to Earth to protect you from a madman. I'm sure you have plenty of security footage about what just happened outside. Eh...assuming I'm still near that runway?" I pointed at the wall behind me, assuming that's where the runway is.

"I see. No, you are in a secure facility. We brought you here for treatment and interrogation. Can you explain how those wounds healed so quickly?" He doesn't sound very convinced.

"No." A clear answer formed in my mind. I guess he wants to continue hiding the existence of guardians for a while.

"I can't tell you that." I replied.

"You can't....or you won't?"

"Both, major. Humans are not ready for that yet. One step at a time." I crossed my arms, only then noticing the blinking red light of a security camera in the corner. Great, zero privacy.

"You say humans, but what are you then?" The major is still trying to make sense of everything. I thought he would freak out when I said I wasn't human, but so far he's still asking questions calmly.

"I'm a.....you're not going to believe me."

"Go ahead, I saw the footage, I believe quite a lot today."

"Excellent. In that case....I'm a Fairy." I grimaced, expecting how he might react.

He just facepalmed and prepared to leave me. Yep, exactly as expected.

"Major! Wait! At least bring me a cup of joe!"

He gestured something, indicating he would return.

 

 

A minute later he sat back down, giving me a rather small cup of coffee. But whatever...better a small cup then none, right?

"If you don't tell me the truth, I'll have you moved for a psychiatric evaluation, Lieutenant."

"Ahhh.....I love coffee....thanks. Major, I'm not with the military, remember? Besides....it may seem that you are holding me prisoner.....but it only seems that way."

"Are you threatening me?" He really seems to think that!

"No, sir! Of course not! If I show you proof of who I really am....will you then promise to hear me out?"

"Alright, I promise. Show me your evidence." Judging by his tone, he really thinks I'm insane.

"First of all...what you saw outside was magic. No, wait...hear me out. Not that Disney type of magic, but real, powerful, ancient magic designed to help people. Not hurt them. The one who got sucked up by that tornado abused magic to harm humanity. I was sent here to.....eh....this is going to sound so wrong......to terminate him." I grimaced again.

"Okay, so now you're a terminator? Sorry, miss, whoever you really are. You are going to........what is that?" 
He was about to order me to a psychiatric ward, but is now staring at something on top of my head.

"You will slowly change into a Kitsune, then return to being a Fairy, Sasami." A little helpful suggestion from above told me what was going on.

"Oh, those are my real ears. These fake human ears are..eh....exactly that, fake." I scratched my real ears again....that felt soooo good.

"My god...are they....real?" He just kept staring at my Kitsune ears.

"Sure are. Wait, help me up please."

He helped me up and removed the blankets which were covering my legs. But then we both understood that I wasn't wearing any skirt or pants....only this hospital gown....and my underwear is now pretty much visible.

"Oops...." He immediately looked aside while I blushed heavily, pulling on my hospital gown that barely made it down to cover my exposed underwear.

"It's okay, Major, nothing happened. You can watch now."

He's now staring at my furry, fluffy, cuddly tail that's happily swaying. "Oh....I missed you so much!" I take my long tail in my hands and fluff it....only to stop when I see the major stare at me petting my own tail. "Sorry....bad habit." I'm blushing from embarrassment again.

"Where did that....thing...come from?" He points at my beautiful tail, my beloved fluffy companion.

"The real question is, why was it gone in the first place, Major? Magic made me look like a human, but.....I'm actually a bit smaller."

"You are?" He's about to question his own sanity now.

I feel my wings appearing....again wonderful to get the feeling back. I missed those too! I move them a bit and see the Major gawk at my wings.

"Real?"

"Yes, Major. Very real. Now you believe me?"

"Eh....I'm beginning to. What...what are you?"

"I already told you. I'm a Fairy. One of the good guys. Please, do sit down, our time is limited."

"It is?" He can't even make proper sentences anymore.

"Yep, I'm almost ready to go home. Until very recently humanity was not ready to learn about my people. So...let me give you the Cliff Notes version. Okay, so...first of all....I'm just a friend, nothing more. Think superman eh...supergirl. That kind of friend, nothing more, okay?" I wait until he nods, then continue.

"I apologize for the commotion caused on Earth lately. Bad weather, like tornados, and probably other stuff I don't even know of yet. Perhaps even global warming...nah, that's probably you guys. Anyway, humanity barely escaped from a nuclear disaster. You and I got some help I can't comment on.

All of this was the work of an eh...terrorist you could say. But he got what was coming for him. I was asked to correct the situation and finally managed to do so.....with lots and lots and lots of help". I look up at the ceiling and form the words "thank you" on my lips without actually speaking.

"My god, you are serious aren't you?" He's massaging his forehead. Yep, talking about these difficult topics always gives me a migraine too.

"Ha ha ha, I'm not a god, but yes, very serious." Just teasing him.

"Eh, okay? Will we see you and your people more often? Do you live here somewhere?"

"In the not so distant future, when humans are truly ready, you will see more of us. We only have the best intentions for you and Earth. It will take time for you to get to know us, but things will work out just fine. 

But we're actually much smaller, you will see that for yourself soon enough. So, let's please keep it at that. I won't be bothering you anymore, nor should anyone else as far as I know. For now, Earth is safe and sound again.

Just know that exciting times will soon start for humans all over the planet. I just hope humans would be nicer to each other and to this beautiful planet!"

"Yeah...you're preaching to the choir, sister. We want to be nice. But unlike you we can't do magic."

"Are you sure about that?" I grinned.

"Eh.....no?"

"Ha ha ha, soon you will be able to start using magic. But not yet. Humanity needs to learn a bit more first, but you will get there."

Suddenly I began to shrink, making the Major look like a giant to me. A giant whose jaw almost reached to the floor when suddenly seeing a real Fairy hovering in front of his eyes. I had to talk louder so he could hear me. "Now you believe me?"

"Yes, I do. What...what was your real name again?"

"Sasami. Princess Sasami. Eh...yeah....shouldn't have said that."

"You're a Princess too? Am I going mad?" He's massaging his forehead again, closes his eyes for a moment, then looks at me again....yep, I'm still hovering here.

"No, Major, you're not going mad. But I'll be leaving now. You're people are safe."

"Eh...I don't understand any of this...yet. But...thank you?"

"That's a good way to end this meeting. Goodbye, Major."

FLASH.

And suddenly I find myself back in New York with another bowl of tomato soup in my hands. I'm wearing the uniform again, and am back to being a human. 
"What the? Was that a dream?" I said out loud.

"Ah, Sasami, you're here? Nope, all of that was real. Thought you were hungry. This is just where we'll say our goodbyes."

"Oh....okay. That makes sense. I think?"

I take a spoonful and enjoy the warmth it provides in my stomach. Delicious!

"Ha ha ha, you are special."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, mom says that too."

"No, I really meant it. You really are special. Now."

"What do you mean, now?"

"You haven't realized it yet, have you?"

"Eh....can you throw me a bone?"

"Ha ha ha, sure can. When you terminated that intruder, you received his essence. Ah, let me explain it more easily. You are now guardian Sasami. Or goddess if you like to be called that."

Now it's my time to be astonished. "You mean......he.......me.....I....?"

He quickly took the bowl from my hands or it would have already fallen.

"Yes, exactly. This is how deities, or guardians as we prefer, come into existence....and how even they end at some point. It is only natural....the circle of life. So.....guardian Sasami... congratulations and thank you. But your powers are dormant for now. Just visit your supreme goddess, she knows what to do. Oh, and before I forget, I just banished all Goblins from Earth to your world. Good riddance. Today he finally allowed me to do exactly that."

"Huh? Oh, I see. Wow.....so......this is goodbye?"

"Yep, but you can visit Earth whenever you wish. As long as you don't plan to take over the world or anything like that." He winked.

"Ha ha ha....not gonna happen. Already have my hands full back home. But a guardian? Sheesh.....I don't know how I feel about that."

"Give it some time. A few hundred years or so. You will get the hang of it. Goodbye Spiritwalker. Oh, and don't forget your backpack."

I bow to him out of respect and take my backpack. "Fair day, Guardian."

I saw him wink and FLASH.....

 

........I find myself lying under a blue sky again. A familiar feeling under my head told me I was lying on her lap again. I seem to be wearing my Spiritwalker outfit...that's nice.

"Hello little one, welcome back."

"Supreme goddess!"

"Ha ha ha, you're in a good mood! Indeed, but from now on...you will be able to call me by my name....Oraura, goddess Sasami." She giggled when calling me that.

"Eh....that sounds.....weird to say the least. Oh, not your name, but...."

"I know dear, relax. And yet, that's who you truly are. Didn't I tell you that taking this path would be worthwhile?"

"Yes, you sure did. But boy oh boy, that was one heck of an understatement." I took a deep breath, enjoying the scent of grass in the air. 

"Ha ha ha, yes it was. But give it a few hundred years, you will get used to this. Besides, being a goddess can wait for now. I'll be there for you to guide you, but first your life on Tallara needs to properly start. I'm sorry for using you like this, but there really was no other way, Sasami."

I stand up and so does goddess Oraura, she leans against the nearby tree, occasionally looking at the peaceful clouds passing overhead.

"Yeah.....it was a wild ride alright." I broke the silence.

"But really, Sasami. Referring to yourself as Supergirl? And then asking them to be nice?"

I look at my shoes and mumble "Mmmm.... what else could I have said? I mean, I'm not their deity."

"Ha ha ha.....no, it was just funny, don't take everything I say so seriously. I really love to tease you because you're such an easy target. But yes, you're right of course, and you said the right thing. By the way, you are now physically here.....not daydreaming. You might want to check your hand."

The moment she told me I felt something in my right hand. I take a look at what's inside and find a fortune cookie. Or at least it looks like one. "A fortune cookie?" I ask her.

"Yes, a parting gift from a friend. Go ahead and open it."

I break the cookie and munch on it while trying to read the tiny message contained inside.
"Bgh meah.....<swallow> sorry. A meal voucher for tomato soup?"

"Yes, I see you understand who gave it to you. Now read the backside."

I turn the paper and of course, there really is another message. The text slowly scrolls until the letters vanish completely. "Thank you for fulfilling your destiny, Guardian Sasami. Don't be a stranger and visit me when you have the time. Coffee and chocolate donuts, right? Are waffles fine too? Anyway....don't eat the paper."

I look at her, feeling perplexed. And no, I totally was not about to eat the paper.

She just smiles and says "Anyway....light and darkness are in balance once more, thanks to you."

"So....I was used as a loophole?" I just had to ask.

"Well, that's one way to put it. But yes, you being from Earth made you perfect for this job. Earth's deity and I knew exactly how events would play out for a very, very long time already."

"So.....you knew I would...eh....I mean we would beat him?"

"I can't comment on that." She gives me a teasing look. Okay, I get it. Other topic. 
"And now, my special one, enjoy your life. You still have lots of action to look forward to, I promise."

"Action? You've got to be kidding me!" I just want to relax, action is the last thing on my mind right now.

"No. no. The good kind of action. You know, family time and.....no, no spoilers. Now return to your world, young lady. We shall meet again in due time."

"Oh, that's right, how many worlds are there even?"

"Nope, not going to tell you. Need-to-know-basis only. Now bye bye..."
She waves goodbye and I'm back on Tallara with a FLASH.

 

 

"Aahhhh!!  Intruder!!!"  A guard shouts my way, making me fly high into the sky in a reflex.

When I look down again I see two perplexed guards looking up at me, hovering above the Palace gardens.

One of them shouts to me "Sorry!!!! Princess....it's safe for you to return now."

I slowly land and shake my head. "God, you scared the hell out of me! Do you really have to shout like that? Sheesh!"

"I'm sorry, Princess, but this is what we trained for. It happened by reflex."

"Dude, .....I still feel my heart beating like insane." I mean, I really do!

"Yep, she really is our Princess." One very familiar Fairy just told me. It's Celeste!

"Celeste!" I run towards her and hug her, dropping my backpack just like that. 

"Oof! Sasami, you're back!"

I release the embrace and wave at the guards, then drag Celeste back inside.

"But...but I have to..."

"Nope, you are joining us for tea this time. What time is it anyway? I've lost all feeling of time." 

"You just missed lunch."

"There, perfect time for tea then. Can you ask one of the other staff to take care of the tea? I want you there, with us."

"But I'm not...."

 

I walked towards the Tearoom, giving the passing staff a warm "good afternoon!"  And all of them smiled back, wishing me the same. It's good to be home! I open the door without knocking and don't see anyone inside. Strange. 

"Celeste, where is everyone?"

"That's what I wanted to tell you. Your parents are outside in the gardens, and your sister is practicing her dance lessons."

"Whaaaa? Wait here." 

Just when I was about to run outside I saw another popup message "Teleport skill is now unlocked."
I grinned....perfect timing. Let's try that!

FLASH. I teleported into the gardens. Ooohh!! Nice....

"Mooooom!!! Daaaaaad!!" I shouted as loud as I could.

"SASAMI !!!! " Both my parents said. But....their voices originated from further away. They are not in the gardens in front of the Palace, but near the Buggos....oops.

FLASH. I Teleported to the Buggos.

"Father, mother!" I shout at my parents running away from me, thinking I'm still standing near the front entrance. I see them stop and immediately turn around to face me.

"Sorry! I can teleport now." I shouted and waved at them.

We run to each other and experience a massive group hug. Melody apparently was dancing in the ballroom with doors open, so she ran this way too. "Big sis! You're back! Alive even!" She joined our hug. 

Then I said "What did you expect? You really thought I would let you have all the fun here?"

"It's good to have you back, dear." Mother pats my back.

Father's expression is a proud one. "Sasami, I'm so glad to see you return in good health. Seeing you so elated must mean you were successful, right?"

"Yes, father. I had quite a lot of help, so I should say WE were successful. The evil one has been slain!"

Mother looked at my blood covered knife, which somehow magically returned to its spot at my waist. Okay...it returned, without cleaning....sure, that happened...no complaints though.

I didn't comment on the blood. She doesn't have to know how bad things were. Nah, she already knows. The belt with the dirty knife will have to wait outside, there. I'm not bringing that inside the Tearoom...yuck.

We walked to the Tearoom and made ourselves comfortable. Oh, and I completely forgot that Celeste was still waiting for us, so I had to explain to my parents why Celeste was suddenly sandwiched on the sofa between Melody and myself.

"Father, mother, I asked Celeste to join us. I hope you don't mind. Just like all of you, she has helped me so much since I arrived in the Palace. So much has happened, and now I have a story to tell about Earth."

They didn't mind Celeste joining, but only barely. I guess it made Celeste feel uncomfortable, but I feel like she's part of the family too.

I explained what had happened in as much detail as I could. The Goblin guardian has been defeated and the Goblins were removed from Earth...now living on this world. Not sure what that will mean for us, but they had to know. I ended my monologue with a mumbling "oh..and I may be a goddess now." 

"Sorry, dear. It's unbecoming of a Princess to mumble. Please articulate properly. And please, don't slouch dear." She picks up her cup of tea and very elegantly demonstrates how to properly handle tea. Yep, I get it....I need to do the same.

I look at her in total bewilderment. Didn't I just return from another world, fighting a deity, now becoming one myself and still be reprimanded for not being a proper Princess? Well, I don't want to fight my mother. Not today, not ever, so I gave in. "Eh.....yes, mother. And I said that I'm now a goddess too." There, I said it out loud and articulated it pretty well.

Mother almost choked in her tea, quickly putting her cup back on the saucer and then coughing loudly.

"Are you alright, dear?" Father patted her on the pack, but with a bit too much force.

"Briar! For the love of....! That hurt! I'm not one of your Buggos!" 

I have never seen her lose her royal flair before. So I try to save her from embarrassment. 
"Father, what does that mean, your Buggos?"  I winked at mom, and I think she even appreciated that I moved the attention away from her. Melody is sitting motionlessly to my left, and Celeste is unsure how to react at all, also perfectly mimicking a statue.

"It means I love to ride into the forest on their backs, honey. It's called Buggo running. I'd like to borrow your skills one day to help me talk to them." He sees Sienna gesturing to him to get to the point. "Oh, right. So you really are a goddess? Or is that some kind of joke, or similar?"

"No, mother, father." I looked at both of them. "After defeating Brelb, his energy moved into my soul or something like that. And it really seems I'm now a goddess. Somehow. I don't really get it myself. But it's the truth."

Mother has placed her right hand on her lips. Yep, she didn't see that one happening, now did she.

"Not a joke?" She asked after a few moments, carefully drinking her tea this time.

"No, mother, I would never joke about the deities. Oh...I guess I'm one of those myself now. Weird."
I scratched my ears because I felt a bit uncomfortable talking about the deities.

"You really are weird, sis." Melody remarked, leaning forward to look around the still unmoving Celeste.

I also lean forward to see her. "Duh, says Miss I have twenty plushies in my bedroom, but thinks nobody knows."

"Duh to yourself. You're just jealous. Want one?" Melody asked.

"Yes, please. The blue, furry one on the far right of the shelf."

She gave me one heck of a surprised look. I actually was a bit jealous, but not going to tell her.

"You....you knew?"

"Yes, duh. When I left for Earth, I sneaked past your bedroom and saw you fast asleep. Being the good big sister I am, I sent a silent prayer for you. Then I noticed your amazing collection, but I could only see the one closest to the door, due to only a bit of moonlight shining on it."

"You....you prayed for me?"

"Yes.....for you, mom, dad, Celeste, the Priestess, my Clan members, for Berry and Levia and.."

"Yes, yes, I got it. Sheesh, happy you thought of me at least." Melody rolled her eyes.

"Children.....be nice to each other." Father said, earning him a surprised look from his wife.

"Yes, father." Both Melody and I said at the same time, followed by a few royal Fairy giggles.

"Celeste, how about a cookie? I like those dark ones."  I said, trying to get her to talk.

"Eh....I....eh....didn't want to include those. It happened by accident, really."

Is she really apologizing to me? "Celeste? Did you bake them?" 

"Yes, Princess, I did."

"In that case, save the dark ones for me. I love those the best. Crispy, they remind me of crackers."

"Crack...ers? Eh, yes, Princess. Eh...may I please be excused?"

"Yes, Celeste. And thank you for joining us." Mother must have seen how uncomfortable she looked, so she immediately allowed her to leave.

"Thank you for inviting me to tea. It was an honor. Your majesties, Princess Melody, Princess Sasami." 

When she said my name, her eyes went wide to indicate she really was happy to be excused. I guess I have to apologize to her later.

 

Celeste left the room and before my parents could comment I already apologized to them.
"I'm truly sorry for making her sit with us, it won't happen again. I...I only wanted her to know what had happened. Thought she might like to drink tea with us. But she was so uncomfortable. I should have known."

"I can understand why you wanted her to join, Sasami. It's alright. Sometimes we must learn the hard way that what we wish is not always what others wish. A lesson learned, knowledge gained. We shall not speak of it again." Mother said with a warm smile. Good, she isn't mad at me, thank heavens for that.

 

 

After discussing recent events around the Palace, father suggested I might want to take a few days to visit my Clan. Relaxing with nature around me, knowing I'm still a Wild Fairy by heart.

Mother seems to agree with him, she says "yes, your father is right. We all know how much effort it has cost you to live here and moreover....to follow my...suggestions so carefully. You have learned and experienced so much, my dear. Now it's time to take a few days of uninterrupted rest. And when you're ready, you'll find us waiting for you, so....ooof!"

I hugged the life out of her. "Mother.....thank you so much for understanding my feelings. You really understand!"

I let go of her and return to the sofa, looking at my shoes while mother continues.
"Of course I do. We already talked about this, remember? It seems you'll always have the heart of a Wild Fairy. If that's what it takes to balance your life and help you stay happy with your family right here....then so be it."

 

 

I'm currently lying on my bed, thinking about today's events. I'll be returning home soon, to my Clan. My other home, where my other family is. Surrounded by nothing but green and....probably a few tasty Goblins to roast.

"Sasami....you're grinning again." Celeste told me while carrying a few fresh fluffy towels to a nearby cabinet.
I just looked at her, moving about the place while resting on my bed. 

Well, "resting" is the wrong word. I'm moving my arms and legs as if I'm making a snow angel in the snow. Celeste glances at me, but has probably already given up on me, she just smiles. And of course I bathed before dressing into something more suitable for Palace life, so no harm done, right?

"Oh, I was just thinking about roasting a few Goblins tomorrow. Can hardly wait to eat those again."

Next to my pillow I suddenly discover a small, blue furry plushie, ready to hug. Melody....she really gave it to me. She's a great sister. 

"Eeeeww.....eating Goblins? Are you really a Princess? Ha ha ha." She really made an expression of disgust, sticking her tongue out while thinking about actually eating one.

"Ha ha ha. Yep, sure am. One of a kind. Do you want me to save you some?"

"What? Are you kidding me? Please no, ugh, my stomach.....please...stop talking about that."

"Ha ha ha...alright, I promise. Oh, come sit here for a moment, will you?" I patted the bed, motioning her to sit down next to me. 
I sat up to give her some room.

"What's wrong, Sasami?"

"Nothing, Celeste. Just....I'm sorry, okay? I made you drink tea with us.....and it was a mistake."

"Oh, about that. No, I was really honored. But.....it's complicated."

"Yeah, I know. I won't do that again, I promise."

She then gave me a quick hug, and looked back at the door hoping that nobody noticed that. And indeed nobody had.

"You are one special Princess, Sasami. Thank you. Thank you for making me feel like part of the family....I really appreciate it. But I'd rather be....like this, you know?"

"Sure. Like that. Yep, makes perfect sense to me. Oohhh, c'mon, Celeste. Don't be so serious!"

"I can't help it. It's just.....my way I guess? But don't worry, we're friends, Sasami."

"Friends? Or good friends?" I asked grinning.

"Best friends." She replied. But I could see in her eyes that she meant it, so I did the best thing a best friend could do....I hugged her.

"You really are amazing, Celeste. Thank you for....well, everything I guess? I can't imagine living in a Palace where mindless servants bring me food and don't even dare speak to me." Now it's my time to stick my tongue out, ugh, just the thought alone makes me feel sick.

"Alright then, best friend. Your father asked if you could help talk to one of his Buggos."

"There are more? I only saw one mother and a bunch of eh....babies?" 

"They're called kittens." She snickered that I didn't even know such a simple fact.

"Aww......cute."

"They are, when they're small. But yes, he has his own Buggos a bit further away. You didn't know?"

"No, really, I didn't."

"Just follow the path a bit further to the other side and you'll find the stables for the mature Buggos. The ones used to draw the carriages."

Carriages....as plural? I knew it!  
"Ohhh.....alright. Time for me to explore the place then. Strange isn't it? When you think you've seen it all, there's even more to see."

"Yes, I know the feeling. The Palace seems compact from the outside, but it isn't in reality."

 

 

When I met my father in the stables, he first asked me if I had used the knife in close combat when I fought Brelb. And yes, I told him exactly what had happened. A deity was no match for an ordinary knife, so it too was enhanced with some help from above. The knife is apparently now being cleaned for me, so it should at some point almost magically appear in my bedroom. I wonder if my knife is now considered to be a "divine artifact" or just another ordinary knife. Well, it's a gift, so it won't ever be ordinary I guess.

When I finally needed to talk to my father's Buggos, they were very surprised that I could understand them. They told me, while swaying their tails happily, that they were treated properly, but would love to have a swim some day. And considering they mostly resemble ducks, including how much their feet remind me of them,  I had to agree that they could use a break too.

Father promised to let them swim in a nearby pond someday, including all the other Buggos, once they are all grown up. I can't wait to hear what they think of swimming.

Father asked me to tell them not to fly away or stay in the pond forever, they were needed after all. And sure enough, they promised not to be difficult. Father's favorite male Buggo told me that father was a bit....heavy for his back. I very, very carefully told father, but he simply laughed and promised the Buggo to take note of that, whatever that may be. Not going to ask. I guess these Buggos behave more like big dogs than ducks or horses. "A Buggo....a Fairies best friend", or something like that.

 

I stealthily left them alone and said hi to mother Buggo and her little ones. They're growing rapidly, let me tell you that! And one of them seems to seek my attention more than the others do. I guess that one will be my favorite, the one on whose back I will travel to see our lands. One day....one day I will be able to do that. Nah...first dancing. Then etiquette. Then history.....then.......no ...first it's time for some well earned holidays!

10