Lost in Thought
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Natalie took the Natnet team out for dinner as a reward for their win over Deeproot. The dinner was at a small-time diner called wrecks. Diners like this are popular among divers for the cheap food and retro feel of the aesthetics. The diner resembled a malt shop from the fifties. there are red leather stools at a long counter and a juke box in corner. Pink Shoe Laces by the Chordettes was currently playing. Natalie spoke “Great job on the match against Deeproot. If we keep this momentum we’ll be in the clear in no time.” The whole of Natnet raised their malts in cheer. While they were generally in high spirits, Mickey was pensive. His mind kept drifting back to what Elvis had told him. Suri noticed that Mickey was not getting into the spirit of things and pulled him aside. “What’s wrong Mickey?” Mickey looked at Suri and said, “Elvis said something strange to me earlier. I don’t know what to make of it.”

“Strange? In what way?” said Suri “Like he was hiding something from me. I don’t know why he was acting so weird.” Said Mickey. Before Suri could say anything else the storm sirens went off. Natalie went over to Suri and Mickey saying “We’re going to have to cut the celebrations short. Get everything ready for lockdown.”

After the storm

Natnet was holding a meeting concerning an emergency that had just come up. Natalie spoke “We’ve got a job at the local kelp farm. Because of the storm several regulators were stranded, and we need to retrieve them.” Suri spoke up, “How many survived?” Natalie “Information says they’re all alive, but we need to move fast to save them.”  Natalie brought up a map “This is the area we believe they were lost in. They have about eight hours of oxygen left. Spread out and scan this radius here.” Their instructions given the divers suit up and get into their rigs. Scrapper was on his own checking the coordinates Natalie had given him prior to the dive. The water was dark and there was nothing to see for miles. Elvis was about to radio in his status when his radar goes off. There was a large blip on the radar. Elvis decided to investigate the object. As he moves in closer he sees a piece of the kelp farm lodged into the rocks of a formation. Elvis checked his instruments for lifesigns. There were no survivors.

Funeral services were held on the bow of the Rio Grande. A city-wide moment of silence was held for the lives lost in the storm. Natnet participated in the funeral services. Several S.S.R.V. lied up and fired off torpedoes in a row as their way of a 21-gun salute. With the service concluded priorities turned to fixing the kelp farm.

It was an extensive project with a dozen S.S.R.V. working together to salvage and repair the damage done to the farm. The process took hours as crews worked around the clock patching up the damaged parts of the installation. When the repairs are done Natnet return to their headquarters. Suri and Mickey were hanging out in the lounge. “What a day. First we fail to find the regulators. then we spend hours repairing the farm and even then it’s not operational. I’m going to be sore tomorrow I’ll tell you that much!” Mickey didn’t respond to any of Suri’s complaining. Mickey’s mind was on those who were lost at sea. The sea, Mickey had lived on the sea all his life. Yet he couldn’t help but wonder what life prior to the oceans swallowing the world was like. A life without the terrible storms and aggressive sea life. What would he be in a world with land to live on? He imagined the cities built on concrete streets. Fields of real trees and flowers. A world with rivers, savannahs, and mountains.  A world full of life instead of the dying water world where you constantly fight for survival. Mickey was so accustomed to the scent of salt and grease that he almost cried the first time he smelled real flowers. Suri finally got his attention.

“Earth to Mickey, hello! What’s gotten into you lately?” Mickey looked at Suri and said, “sorry I was lost in thought about something.” Suri raised an eyebrow and asked, “what were you thinking about?” Mickey responded, “Do you ever wonder what life would be like for us if the world wasn’t swallowed up by the ocean?” Suri paused before saying “Not really, hard for me to imagine any other kind of life. Do you often think about that stuff?” Mickey paused to think for a moment before answering back “Not often, but I do wonder what life would be like if we didn’t have to constantly fight against the elements.” Suri smiled before saying “It certainly would be easier, but we might take that kind of life for granted. Isn’t that what our ancestors did?” Mickey smiled before saying, “Yeah you may be right. Still, I’d like to give that life a try.” Suri quipped “Even if it meant you would never pilot a S.S.R.V.?” Mickey laughed “Eh, those things don’t have to be mutually exclusive. I’m sure people would find a use for rigs in a world filled with land.” Suri and Mickey chuckled to themselves before falling silent. Suri looked at Mickey admiring his features. Now that she had a good look at him she found him to be quite handsome. After internally debating with herself she decided to take a gamble.

“Hey Mickey. Do you want to go get something to eat sometime? Just the two of us?” Mickey looked surprised at Suri’s question. Mickey asked, “Are you asking me out on a date?” Suri shrugged before saying, “Maybe. Would you like to go on a date with me?” Mickey smiled and said, “Absolutely! We can go right now!...I mean if you want to.” Suri laughed before nodding. The two of them each left the lounge to get ready for their date.

Back at the Natnet meeting room

The members of Natnet had been assembled by Natalie who had an announcement.

Natalie speaks, “We’ve been invited to a banquet to celebrate the semifinalists. I want you all there in attendance.” Jessie asks “A banquet? Like a formal suit and tie banquet?” Natalie responds, “yes a formal banquet. This could be an opportunity to get Natnet some much needed recognition.” Mickey asked, “when is this banquet?” Natalie responds, “It’s in a week. And I promised the commission we’d all be on our best behavior.” Elvis replies, “C’mon how much trouble could we get into?”

At the Banquet

 The banquet took place on the mobile landmass called the Iron Lion. It was very ornate with tables replete with fine dining. Natnet had been given a table of their own. They were all dressed in formal wear.  The master of ceremonies took a microphone and said, “We are here to commemorate the semifinalists who fought tooth and nail to be here. Introducing this years semifinalists; from the Neon London is team Anchor Rock!” team Anchor Rock stood up and bowed as the room applauded. The announcer continued “from the White Lotus is team Koi Pond.” Team koi pond stood up and bowed before the announcer moved on. ”From our own Iron Lion its team Antosphere Works.” They bow as the room applauds before the announcer reaches the last team “and finally from the Rio Grande and last group of semifinalists team Natnet” the applause came as natnet bowed before the announcer spoke again “In a few weeks one of these four teams will be crowned champion of the international league of the of the S.R.R.V. global games. Can you all give one final round of applause.” The room applauded before the congregation went back to eating and dancing the night away.

As Elvis was dancing with Tina a man approached and asked. “Excuse me are you Elvis Willis?” Elvis turned around and said “Well I’ll be. You’re Morris Von Karne. Diver of Nemesis right?” Von Karne smiles before stating “well that saves me the trouble of having to introduce myself. I’m sorry for cutting in.” Elvis waves him off before saying “Not a problem what can I do for you?” Von Karne smiled before saying, “I wanted to speak to the diver of Scrapper and wish you luck in the upcoming matches.” Elvis smiled and said “well that’s very kind of you. I also wish you good luck. Who knows maybe we’ll face each other before long.” Von Karne says “I sincerely hope so. Not every day that I get to fight a legend. It’s a pleasure to beat you” Elvis paused before asking. “Don’t you mean it’s a pleasure to ‘meet’ you?” Von Karne only gives the reply,” You heard me.”  With that Morris Von Karne walked away.

Elvis knew from that exchange that his upcoming battles would be the most intense of his life.

0