Finals
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m not sure how to break this to you all. We may be out of work.”

Natalie began the meeting with a grim appraisal of recent events. The attack by the Kraken did a number on the Rio Grande. With the extensive damage a number of changes had been made to life aboard. For starters there was a power curfew to conserve electricity, and several businesses had to close their doors because the Rio Grande could no longer afford them.

One of them were the diving crews who were considered the most expendable like Natnet.

Natalie continued “The contract with the Rio Grande is up for renewal and with the recent damages they may not pick up our option.”

Suri objected “Wait, they’re canning us just like that? I thought we had until after the Global Games?”

Natalie said “I was able to talk them into a provisional contract, we have until the next staff meeting before they decide to keep Natnet or not. At this point winning the Global Games may not make a difference.” Murmurs went on around the room before Natalie continued “I will contact other dive crews and see if I can find employment for all of you else ware. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I want you all to be ready for the worst.”

“So, what do we do in the meantime?” Jamal asked. Elvis responded “We get ready for our match with Antosphere Works. We’re still in the competition. When we win, we will have sponsors that will find Natnet a new home if the Rio Grande doesn’t want us.”

Jamal replied, “you mean if we win.” Elvis said “No I mean we will win. We can do this but only if we stick to our guns and push on through.” Natalie piped up “Elvis is right, we’ve come too far to give up now. Let’s finish the season with a bang.” The room cheered as the remotivated Natnet went over their plans for the finales.

On the main street of the Rio Grande

Elvis and Mickey were walking down the deck-street of the Rio Grande. “So, you’re going to get your license?”

Mickey smiled “Yeah, soon I’ll be a certified diver then I can start saving up for my own S.S.R.V.”

Elvis chuckled to himself “You’ve come a long way kid. I knew you could do it.”

Elvis stopped before speaking “Have you decided on a diving crew you want to join?” Mickey shook his head “I’m not sure. I most likely won’t have many offers at first.” Elvis waved him off “That’s a bunch of hogwash. A diver of your skill should be picked up easy.” Mickey stopped and turned to Elvis “Thank you. Where are we going?” Elvis responded “To a bar. I want to celebrate you becoming a diver.”

“Is it really a good idea to be drinking before the finals?” asked Mickey

“Mickey, I’m just going to get one drink…I’m going to need it.”

“Okay what are you not telling me?” Elvis paused wondering if this was the right time to tell Mick the truth. “The truth is Mick…. The truth is I’m thinking about proposing to Tina.” Mickey’s eyes lit up at what Elvis had said, he could hardly contain his excitement.

“Really!? That’s great news.” Elvis smiled “Yeah but I’m really nervous. What if she says no?”

“What’s to be nervous about? I’m sure she’ll say yes.”

Elvis chuckled briefly “Nothing is certain Mickey. You learn that after diving for thirty years.”

Mickey shrugged “Well then let’s get you that drink.” Elvis smiled at Mickey’s enthusiasm. There was something else Elvis was not telling him, but Elvis figured it could wait until after the finals. In the meantime, he would enjoy the company while it lasted.

Back at Natnet

The team were hard at work preparing for the final match. Natalie was hard at work trying to find new contracts to keep Natnet open. She did however took some time to contact Antosphere Works for trial footage of their dive crew. That footage is what the team was currently reviewing.

What they saw painted a grim picture, Nemesis was seemingly flawless. They could only watch in silent awe as it dominated the competition. It moved with precision-guided purpose as Nemesis made short work of the opposing S.S.R.V.

“I’ve watched this footage about a dozen times, Nemesis doesn’t appear to have any exploitable weaknesses.” Jamal said glumly.

Jessie chimed in “With good support this Von Karne guy is gonna steamroll us. We’ll have to take out the first two quickly then try to overwhelm him with superior numbers.”

It was Suri who replied “But in order to do that one of us is going to have to keep Nemesis busy while we’re taking out Apollo and Artemis. That person will have to hold out for forty minutes at least!”

The room was quiet for a good while as Suri’s point was considered. Playing defensively was a losing strategy as Nemesis had top of the line specs to overwhelm a defensive maneuver. An all-out offense was better but still very risky as they were facing a very dominate team. Natnet were in an unenviable position.

Elvis said “I’ll take on Nemesis. I’ve got the most experience and my S.S.R.V. excels in durability.” Suri responded “But Scrapper is too slow to keep up with a rig as fast as Nemesis. You’ll be ripped to pieces.”

 Elvis smirked “I have a plan.”

Eyebrows were raised at that statement. Natnet sat in eager anticipation to hear what Elvis’ plan was. As he explained the strategy he wanted to employ their eyes lit up.

Natnet may have a chance after all.

The day of the match

Crowds were gathered in anticipation of the final match. Antosphere Works was the favored to win according to most speculators. As the crews readied their rigs the announcer spoke. “ladies and gentlemen it is the moment you all have been waiting for. The Finals of the global games!”

The crowd cheered as the announcer introduced the two teams. “This will be a team elimination match. On the left we have the undisputed champions Antosphere Works! On the right we have the up-and-coming crew Natnet. Who will come out on top? That’s what we’re here to find out.”

They all got into positions as the announcer said “Divers are you ready? Get set!” the stadium was silent as they waited for the match to start.

“….GO!”

And with that the final had begun, would Natnet beat the odds?

0