Chapter 3: Getting to the Armory
305 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking around the castle where the abyssals resided was something that I was used to. What I was not used to was being able to see where I was walking. The castle’s stone walls were covered in some bizarre vines that were glowing different colors. Some were a bright purple, some a bright green, it kinda felt like I was at some party. The vines also had thorns that seemed so sharp it is a wonder that none of us have cut ourselves on it.

 

Walking around I saw a wide variety of abyssals around me. Some were control type praetorians like me. Their appearance was nearly identical to my own, except for some tiny differences in their faces and armor. 

 

I also saw what appeared to be some knights, and soldiers. The biggest thing that gave it away was the presence of men among the ranks. For some reason, it seems that anyone that is a bishop or higher is female. For what fucking reason, I have no clue. The second thing was their lifeless movements, moving seemingly like dolls rather than people. 

 

Many of the knights and soldiers carried around their weapons. Some had a sword, others maces, and I think I can even see one with a warhammer. Not the best weapon for formation, but I guess it must have been what they carried before being corrupted.

 

Walking around was certainly scary, while I doubt anyone would notice a single praetorian, I could not help but be afraid of the possibility of being noticed. Keeping an eye on everyone around me, I slowly made my way to the armory. I got a couple of weird looks from what appeared to be a group of princesses, but they seemed more interested in continuing their chat rather than pursuing a random praetorian. That was something I was thankful for.

 

Finally reaching the armory I checked my surroundings before heading in. While not impossible to justify, I did not want to waste time trying to explain myself. Worst case scenario I end up outing myself.

 

Walking inside I notice that the room is massive. Weapons of all types adorn the walls and shelves. I can see swords, daggers, spears, polearms, waraxes, and even some scythes. Looking even further in I can see some bows and crossbows, guess they truly do have something for everyone. Even further in I can see a very odd looking weapon. There is only one, and it is placed within a case. One side of this weapon looks like a boot. Where you would normally put your foot in the boot connects to an odd rectangular body. Near the bottom of this body I can identify a handle and a trigger, just like what would be on a crossbow, but that is where the similarities end. In front of the trigger looks like some small and thin black box. On the other end of the weapon from the boot is a long tube, almost as long as my forearm. 

 

I feel like I have seen this thing before, maybe I have even used it. I can imagine picking it up, placing the end of the boot within the pocket between my check and my shoulder. I want to take it from the case, but if I do so someone will quickly notice. Think, think, think, what should I grab. I feel like a spear or poleaxe would be good, but that would be very hard to hide on my body. A dagger would be easy to hide within my wings, but I feel like that would be too small to properly fight with. A shortsword would be perfect then and since there are hundreds here I doubt anyone would notice a single one missing. Although that weapon in the case… I don’t quite know what it is, but it seems very important to me. When I am done with the Empress, I am coming back to grab it.

 

As soon as I pick up the shortsword, what looks like four soldiers enter the armory. As fast as I could I slide the sword between the folds in one of my wings before folding them against my back. All four of the soldiers started moving towards one of the weapon racks, specifically the ones holding maces. Not wanting to get their attention, I tried my best to slowly sneak my way out of the armory. While a soldier or even a knight being here is normal, that does not apply to something like a bishop or praetorian. 

 

Slowly tiptoeing my way out. One. Step. At. A. Time. Finally at the door and

 

Creeeaak

 

Shit.

 

Slowly turning around I can see four pairs of eyes all on me. All of them look similar to elves, with their pointed ears. Two of them have purple eyes and hair while the other two have green hair and eyes. I never actually got to see the colors before, but I have a feeling that means they are a part of different units. Like the other abyssals, their skin was the same shade of pale you could see on a corpse. Their armor also seemed ruined. Only one had on a full set of plate armor only interrupted by a large purple crystal jutting out of the poor guy’s shoulder. I guess that is what happens when soldiers are converted. The other three are wearing worn down leather armor. They also have crystals jutting out their bodies, only they are much smaller and more plentiful, some crystals even seemingly coming out of the armor. I wonder if that is because the leather is thinner than the metal plate.

 

“My Praetorian”

 

“My Praetorian”

 

The two with purple eyes both kneeled in front of me, I guess that means that they must be in my unit. Nonetheless, I was still nervous, there was always the chance that they could still turn on me for attempting to betray the Empress.

 

“Praetorian, your gas”

 

One of the purple eyed soldiers was looking at my feet. Looking down to see what he was looking at, I saw a black gas pooling around my feet. 

 

I remember this being a gas I can emit from my wings, when used in conjunction with my horns I can better sense things around me, although that is not its primary purpose. Its primary purpose is to allow faster communication with my units and when enough is inhaled, I can control them much easier. It is even possible to control uncorrupted people if they inhale enough. I must have been emitting it on accident since I am nervous

 

Wait. If they inhale enough, perhaps I can control these soldiers. While I doubt I will be able to establish control over the green eyed soldiers quickly, I could perhaps control the purple eyed ones, assuming they were in fact from my unit.

 

“My apologies soldier, recently I have been very excited over the prospects of wiping out the rest of the humans, it seems I just cannot contain my excitement!”

 

I was spouting absolute bullshit and I am pretty sure the soldiers knew it too. However I was not trying to properly hold up a conversation, just trying to buy time. Just enough time to attempt to control them

 

“Just earlier today I destroyed a settlement with my Princess and some knights. She even allowed me to personally deal with some of them.”

 

I felt sick to my stomach recounting my actions earlier today, but it still bought me more time.

 

“Our Princess is generous, my praetor…”

 

The purple eyed soldiers responded in unison, and stopped in unison. Suddenly I could feel the sensation of two other bodies, feeling as if they were both now extra arms at my disposal. I gained control.

 

In an instant I commanded them both to attack the other two soldiers, and within a second both began to swing their maces. 

 

One swing connected and the wall was splattered with a mix of black blood and glowing green crystal. The other swing missed as the soldier responded by ducking under.

 

The Green soldier seemed confused as to why the purple soldiers turned, and that was something I was going to take advantage of. I immediately pulled the shortsword I picked up from its place within my wing and I charged at the soldier.

 

Before my sword could connect it was deflected by a mace swing, I guess I was too slow, but before the green soldier could retaliate her head was caved in by another mace. I was thankful that I attempted to control the other two. I cannot imagine fighting all four solo, even if they are just soldiers.

 

Looking at the two purple eyed soldiers they seemed completely unphased. It's as if they were not just now forced to kill their former allies. Although, I guess this would not be the first time they turned. 

 

Thinking about that… every abyssal here is just some poor person that was corrupted by the Empress. Even though they were enemies, I could not help but feel at least a little bad for killing the green soldiers. No, I should think of it more as setting them free. I can only hope that their souls are granted some sort of peace.

14