Chapter 14: Elegant Landing
132 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey… I got the boar you wanted”

Slowly picking myself back up I could see both of their faces. First looking at me, then looking at the boar. Repeating again and again, each time their faces only get more and more surprised. 

“You… how!?”

The first one to speak was the witch. 

“So you were actually able to do it, huh…”

The second was the man.

“Hey, you wanted the boar, right? Well, here it is.”

I know the witch never expected me to actually go and hunt the thing, but hey. I am desperate. And her face? Priceless.

“Hey um.. What do we do about the pig over there? It's still alive after all.”

“Oh yeah. Let me deal with that”

Slowly walking over to the struggling pig the man began pulling on one of its horns

Crack

Squeee

With no hesitation he tore the horn off and stabbed the hog in through the skull with it. I didn't know whether to be more surprised at his nonchalant approach or the absurd strength he had to rip off one of the horns.

The man then pulled out a rope and tied the boar to a pole before slitting its throat with a knife from his pocket.

Wait. If he had a knife why did he even bother with the horn in the first place?

Very few people were walking by since it was starting to get dark, but the few who did showed obvious apprehension on their face. Glad I am not the only one.

"Hey Ms. Witch. Does he do this often?"

"No. I just think he is showing off. Probably doesn't want to be bested by a kid."

Fair enough. I mean 'that kid' was me, but still. If I had spent years improving at a craft only to see some random kid match me, I would want to show off too. Not sure if I would have chosen to do the same thing this guy is doing though.

"Um… anyways, I won the bet, right?"

"Ugh, yeah… honestly I was hoping you wouldn't have attempted in the first place, but a deal is a deal."

I think the right call would have been to just say no, but hey. I got an apprenticeship out of it so I am grateful for her uh… awkwardness.

"Well, I gotta admit you did well little girl. Luise, right? I'm sorry for our resident witch here and her lack of forethought. Your little encounter with this guy was successful, yes, but it could have been a fluke. Please be more careful next time. And Calliope, don't go giving little kids dangerous tasks either."

"Yeah… I'll keep that in mind for next time Carl."

"Um… excuse me, would you happen to be Mr. Johnston?"

"Oh? Did May tell you guys about me? Did she say anything in particular?"

Like a kid seeing a candy store the Man's eyes lit up. Can't keep the illusion of matury up for even a couple minutes, huh.

All three of us walked inside the guild and chatted for a bit. The witch, who seemed to be named Calliope, seemed quiet, although mostly out of laziness rather than anything else. I cannot help but wonder if asking her to teach me was a good idea. Mr. Johnston seemed to be quite energetic and immature, although he shifted into a much more serious tone while I was recounting my story with the boar.

I had to omit quite a few details. After all, a kid possessing a knife and having the ability to hide their presence are not things that I think fit this world's ideal of normal. Well, I know people could have that as a trait, but I know it is super rare and the chance of manifesting your traits so young are even rarer. Either way, I didn't want to risk anything. Maybe I'll tell them later. 

Calliope then gave me a schedule for classes. Since I still have the normal orphanage schedule, I was busy during the day so her classes would be every monday, wednesday, and friday after we are let out for the day. I wanted to have a class every day of the week but she insisted that I need time off to enjoy my childhood. I can't help but feel like her laziness played a part in her decision.

I also brought up the idea of adventuring or taking up commissions with Mr. Johnston. He was adamant on refusing to grant me a tag, but he did offer to teach me basic combat techniques so that I was ready when I was fifteen. I was a little disappointed, but it was definitely better than not having anything at all. He offered to teach me on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so it seems I will be spending a majority of my afternoons at the guild. Tomorrow is a wednesday, so it seems that my first class will be with Ms. Calliope. I can't help but be excited.

"Hey Luise, it's already dark out. I'll lead you back to the Orphanage."

Looking out the sun had already set. Mr. Johnston offered to walk me back, something that I didn't mind. Maybe if he tried to chat with Ms. May I could get out of any punishment for staying out so late. 

"Hey, Mr. Johnston. Why is there a bag tied around that boar's neck?"

"What do you mean?"

"I know that you often drain the blood of an animal after killing it to ensure that the meat tastes good, but why would you bother collecting it?"

"Oh, that's just so that none drips onto the floor and it doesn't smell later."

His words made sense but I couldn't help but feel like there was more that he wasn't saying. Eh, it's probably just paranoia. Remember, you are not in the abyss anymore. You're free… Well, for now at least.

The walk to the orphanage was filled with nothing but idle chatter, we talked about the stars, the forest, there was little importance to what we talked about, but I cannot help the fact that I enjoyed the conversation. In the abyss chats were always kept entirely informational, and since I could communicate with my horns, the chances for me to chat were even smaller. One of the few memories I do have is that I used to despise idle chatter. To think that I would grow to miss it.

I must remember to not take the little things for granted ever again.

When we finally got to the orphanage dinner was about to begin. It was Coyote again, but it tasted great anyways.


sorry for the weak chapter. I don't know why but I had alot of trouble coming up with what to write here. Funny, because it hasn't even been a minute since finishing this chapter and I already have 3 different ideas for the next one. Oh well, hope you all enjoy it anyways.

6