Chapter 16: In the Eyes of a Hunter pt.1
110 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thunk

 

Thunk

 

Thunk

 

“So this is what you were working on, huh.”

 

Out of nowhere I could hear Johnston’s voice behind me. The fact that I didn’t notice him approaching me from behind really was a sign that I need to focus on my surroundings more. 

 

The item that I assume he was referring to was the modified crossbow that was in my hands. Attached to the bottom of the crossbow was a small box that I attached. Thanks to the lessons from Calliope I have been able to learn some magic fundamentals, although the way I cast them is a little different seeing as how I seem unable to use mana. 

 

Still, by using relatively basic metal manipulation magic alongside the nearby forge and some scrap metal I was able to make a crossbow with five bolts in it. One readied and four underneath in the box. Unfortunately I still have to use a small hand crank to pull the string back between each bolt, but it's a step in the right direction.

 

“Yeah, it got a little annoying having to load a bolt every time. It's still a prototype though so It has some kinks I am yet to iron out. I also still have to manually pull the string back, something I want to automate as soon as I can.”

 

“You know, when you asked me to use the forge I didn’t expect you to modify your crossbow of all things.”

 

“Didn’t you watch me make the parts?”

 

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I understood what most of them did.”

 

“Fair enough”

 

Sometimes looking at the parts of a recipe does not actually do anything to help you understand what the end result is. That's something that I keep on being reminded of while in Calliope’s class. Every time I think I finally understand the rules of magic, there is an exception that screws up my understanding of it. This thing does this, unless it's used with this other thing, and it just became too much to remember. At least these springs, screws, and plates actually have some sense to them.

 

“Anyways, are you open to taking that crossbow of yours out for a test run?”

Taking my crossbow out for a test run? Maybe that would be fun, I am yet to actually take this modified crossbow out on a hunt.

 

“Sure, I already have my gear here, open to leaving in, say 5?

 

Mr. Johnston nodded in agreement before rushing off to grab his own gear. Patiently waiting, I made sure everything I had was in order. To be honest, I was excited to try out my crossbow in a practical environment. 

 

“Alright, I've got my stuff, ready to head out?”

 

Turning around I could see Johnston fully geared out. His attire consisted of mostly cloth as he valued mobility over everything else, but he did make sure to have tanned leather to protect his more vital areas. Alongside a backpack to hold some basic hunting supplies and to help carry our spoils, he also had a knife sheathed on his thigh and a bow in his hand.

 

I’ve always wondered what the pull weight of that bow is. I’ve seen it shoot an arrow straight through a boar’s skull, but the shot wasn’t strong enough to actually destroy the boar’s body. I did try to pull the string back myself when I first started training under him, but I was barely able to pull it back an inch. 

 

“Yeah, let's get going.”

 

With that the both of us began walking into the forest. At this point it was a bit of a routine. I could even begin recognizing the rock formations around us, the fallen trees we needed to vault over, and even the places that we had turned into traps while on previous hunts. 

 

“Hey Luise”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Are you sure you are 10?”

 

“Huh? Where did this come from?”

 

“Um, sorry, it's just something that has been on my mind for a while now. Even though you are just a kid I can’t help but feel like I am talking with someone who is closer to my age.”

 

“Hm… What exactly would you say separates me from other kids my age?”

 

“That! No other kid I know would phrase that question that way!”

 

Was I really speaking in an odd way? As far as I could tell I wasn’t exactly saying anything out of the ordinary. I’ve also been able to restrain my cursing around the others too just to make sure I wouldn’t stand too much. I guess either something isn’t right with the way I am going about it or this guy is just way too observant. Eh, could be a bit of both, he is a hunter after all.

 

“Wait, Luise. Do you hear that?”

 

Johnston’s whispering was so quiet I would not have paid attention if he didn’t hold his arm out. 

 

Grrrrr

 

Looking over to the source of the noise I could see a Large wolf and a boar. The boar looked to be the same species that we have been hunting on occasion, the same species that I had to catch for that bet all those months ago. When compared to the wolf that boar was nothing.

 

The wolf’s fur was blue, sharp, and jagged, almost as if the fur was made of broken ice shards. When compared to me the wolf was nearly 3 times my height.

 

Both of Johnston’s and my eyes were glued to the wolf and the boar. Despite having hunted here with Johnston and taken occasional trips myself not once have I ever seen a wolf, let alone a wolf like that. 

 

The wolf and boar were facing each other, slowly walking around each other, as if waiting to see what the other was going to do. 

 

The boar lowered its head and began charging at the wolf, but before it could impale the wolf it was stopped in place.

 

Looking down at the boar’s feet to see if it got snagged itself on some leaves I could see ice slowly crawling up its legs. The boar immediately started struggling in a futile attempt to break free as the wolf watched.

 

Before long the wolf slowly approached the struggling boar. 

 

Squeee

 

The boar’s dying breath. The wolf bit down on the boar’s neck, snapping straight through the bone and separating the head from the rest of the body like it was a thin twig.

 

Johnston and I immediately locked eyes with each other. We both knew that whatever that wolf was, it was way too much for either of us to take on.

 

But before either of us could begin moving away the wolf turned, and that is where I could see the blood lining its jaw, the neck and head of the boar still in its jaw. Throwing the head up into the air, it caught it on the way down, swallowing bone and all.

 

It looked in our area, seemingly knowing where we were, scanning the area. And then it stopped.

 

We made eye contact.

 

Seems I wrote friday and saturday instead of friday and sunday, my bad on that. I'll update it.

6