Chapter 18- The Challenge
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaito woke up early, as he always did. Classes started at eight o'clock, but he was always up at half past five. Without making any noise he got dressed and left the room, passing through the hallways, down the stairs and straight to the gym's exercise room.

First he always ran on the treadmill as fast as he could for thirty minutes without pause. Then he would lift heavier weights each week and do as many reps as he could handle. Finally he used the punching bag to practice his strokes and make notes when he could improve them.

"Apparently some things stay the same."

The voice was Elynor's, who arrived with a bottle of water in hand. Kaito gave the extremely heavy punching bag a swirling kick and watched it rise just a little.

"And why would I change? I've been training like this for months now and I don't want to lose that."

"Don't you find it tiring? Even though I’m S rank I find it all too much."

Kaito didn't make another move. He just stared at his brother and arched an eyebrow, which made Elynor shrug and reply.

"Ok, I don't think it's too much. To tell you the truth, I don't even feel sleepy or tired, but you get my point. Doing all this might be too tiring for you," he said, sitting down on a stool.

"I need stamina. When I use two skills I feel like my mind is going to break down. It's too heavy and exhausting." Kaito said, hitting the punching bag again.

"But didn't you defeat that B rank using three skills? I thought the training with Dad and Mom's friends had already taken effect."

"I can use their skills. Now I have the starting skills of all the basic classes, but using more than one is very difficult. That day against the warrior I only disguised it well and it was only for an instant too. Even then using three was really heavy."

"Then just use one at a time."

Kaito stopped hitting the punching bag, looked at his brother and stared at him without much understanding.

"I don't understand this conversation. You know that my skills are weak and that I need to use two or more to increase my power. What's going on?" asked Kaito wiping the sweat from his forehead.

"It's just that I see you trying so hard... I don't know, Kai, I just thought maybe it could be simpler," replied Elynor with a certain regret.

"What happened, Ely? Did you see something?" asked Kaito sitting down next to his brother.

"It's just that..." Elynor hesitated at first, but as he stared into his brother's grayish eyes, he took a deep breath and replied "I've been hearing things. Things in the Five Phoenixes and the dormitories. Teams are going to form, Kaito. Very strong teams. They want you low rank people out of here. But with you it's different..." he took a deep breath and plucked up the courage to speak "They want to eliminate you. Make you completely useless.”

Kaito heard that and gave a calm smile.

"They can come with their strongest teams, Ely. They'd better come anyway! If it's any other way it won't be fun."

Elynor smiled, but there was still fear in his eyes.

"I know you're strong, Kaito. I know what you can do. But these people are really powerful. I can face them, but I don't know..." Elynor stared at his brother in distress "What if I can't protect you from all this? That's a lot of people... a lot of bad people."

Kaito smiled passing on confidence.

"I don't want to be protected, Elynor. I can handle myself! No matter what team comes against me, I will defeat it without any problem!"

Elynor felt reassured, but soon quick footsteps approached, and when the two looked toward the entrance they saw Bairon.

"Finally... I found you!" said the cleric breathlessly.

"What is it, Bairon? Did something happen? Have you been challenged again?" asked Kaito.

"No, Kaito, you were challenged! A team of five B ranks challenged you to a team battle!"

 

* * *

 

The main hall was filled with students looking at the huge mural in front of them and Kaito had a little trouble getting to the front. But when everyone saw that it was he who was there, they cleared the way for him to pass, and as he got closer he heard the nasty comments all around him.

"It's over for you, Bloodless!"

"They will destroy you!"

"No one will want to die along with you!"

Kaito ignored all the comments and walked over to the wall, seeing two announcements. The first one was from Selize, talking about the dorm rules and challenges.

 

Announcement

Starting today if there is any case of aggression to any rank outside of

special cases, such as duels, competitions and training, the aggressor will be expelled from the

Phoenix Academy!

 

About The Battle of the Phoenix

Any team that comes from the same class can also

register and challenge a team of up to five people from another class.

Only one team per room and only one battle per team each month!

Winning teams will have their rooms and benefits improved.

Losing teams will have their benefits reduced.

A team that is demoted below Class D will be disbanded.

 

 

This was rather obvious to Kaito. He knew that something had to be done to make sure that the higher ranks did not abuse the lower ranks in the dormitories. There would still be abuse in other ways, but it would be diminished by the fear of being thrown out.

As Kaito lowered his gaze and saw the other communiqué he understood what the commotion was about.

 

Statement of Challenge

Class B-5 challenges Class D-1 to a team fight.

Class B-5 makes it a condition that Kaito Arturis participate as part of the D-1 team.

The combat will take place in 30 days and will be broadcast throughout Rubra.

The classes must choose their leaders and the members of each team.

 

Sincerely, Principal Selize Salibar

 

Kaito was reading this without much belief. He knew that he would be challenged and that class D would be first, but he didn't expect it to go this fast.

"I expect you to show some of what you did in the fight against Linus, F rank."

Kaito turned around and saw that everyone cleared the way for a boy with long red hair tied up in a ponytail. His gaze was imposing and unlike other warriors he was not overpowered with muscles or appeared rugged. Kaito knew without even facing him that this warrior was very strong. He could feel it on his skin.

"You must be that Gael guy, who fought against Opame." said Kaito with a smile on his lips "I am Kaito Arturis, Elynor’s brother and student of class D!" spoke the boy giving his hand to his opponent to shake.

Gael did not look at Kaito's hand, but rather directly into his eyes. The red gaze met the gray one and an animosity was created between the two in that instant. The warrior greeted Kaito normally and changed his tone to something more respectful.

"Sorry for my manner of speaking. Controlling those warrior instincts is not easy at all. Blood speaks loudly and makes one do things one doesn't like. My name is Gael Leonar and, if everything goes wrong, I will be your opponent in a month." Gael came even closer and looked at Kaito closely "I didn't agree with this duel and I don't even think it's right for a fifth year class to challenge a first year class. But since everything is already done, I hope we can have a great fight."

The warrior let go of Kaito's hand and walked away, drawing everyone's gaze. Meanwhile Kaito could feel a stirring in his chest. Around him the other students were moving away, some because they didn't want to be near the Bloodless and others because they were afraid of what he might do, as he had recently defeated a B rank.

"Can I join your team? I want a rematch."

The voice was Opame's, who was approaching with Bairon. The girl looked at the warrior in the distance and closed her fist in a mixture of frustration and cheer.

"I'm sure if I fight him again everything will be different."

"Unfortunately you can't, Opame. These are class fights and only class D can fight," Kaito said.

"Yeah... I know. And to think that big A-rank Gael might end up going to class B. I guess I'll have to ask for a transfer to your class. I was just about to do that" replied the monk opening a bag of snacks and eating a handful.

"What do you mean he's going to class B?" asked Kaito.

"That doesn't matter now, whitey! What matters is how I can go to your class to get my revenge!"

"I want to do that too, but I don't know if they'll accept it. It would be a problem with those idiots saying that the classes have higher ranks to fight the A/S class." said Bairon taking a handful of snacks from Opame.

"I appreciate your help and if it is possible for you to come to my class I would really appreciate it." Kaito stepped forward and smiled excitedly "but for now I need to put together a team to take out one of the strongest teams in the Phoenix Academy."

 

* * *

 

"It's all your fault!"

The one who spoke this angrily facing Kaito was Saphyra. But it wasn't just her who was totally pissed off at Kaito. The entire D class was. The class had graffitied his wallet and now they were gathering against him in an angry mob.

"We are going to get beaten and expelled because of you!" said a cleric.

"I was the hope of my family here!" said a mage.

"What will become of us kicked out of here? Tell me!" said a thief further back.

Kaito looked at all of them and directed his attention to Professor Caligan, who was sitting at his desk reading a book of his own authorship. The professor caught his student's look and just shrugged.

"That time has been given so that you can get yourselves organized and settle all your disagreements. So, settle yourselves."

Kaito took a deep breath and focused on who he needed to focus on. He turned to Saphyra and looked directly into her eyes.

"Saphy, I think it would be fair for me to talk a little. What do you think?"

Saphyra stared at him for a moment and then gave a heavy sigh, raising her hand for everyone to stop for a moment.

"First, don't call me that! Second, let's let him talk. He might have something important to say."

"Who says you're the class leader?" protested Hakon, who was sitting at the back of the room with his legs crossed on the front desk.

"I'm not the leader of the class. I just think it would be fair to let him defend himself."

"Letting a Bloodle..." Hakon received a hard look from Professor Caligan and soon changed his tone "You mean... an F rank defending himself? He was already born guilty."

Kaito couldn't see how he could get any chance to speak there. No one in that class respected him and they were all overcome with fear and anger. There was only one thing he could do.

"Mr. Caligan, the next class is going to be in the combat arena, isn't it?"

The professor stopped his reading, gave a tired sigh and looked at Kaito, answering without any will.

"Unfortunately yes. I, a teacher focused on the arts of intellectual knowledge will have to train you in the practice of combat. Do you believe that? I think it's absurd.

"Can we go there now?" asked Kaito as the class fell silent to listen.

"And why would you want to go to the arena now?"

Kaito looked at the class and focused on Hakon, giving a challenging smile.

"I want to challenge the class! A fight that if I win, they will have to listen to me!"

0