11. Appropriate Words
36 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Osriel felt more relaxed in her presence after her kind gesture that day. Ariadne could only hope that the words she offered to him after that would make him strong to stand against those kinds of people. She later learned the name of those kids, Galen was Osriel’s cousin, while the two kids were his second cousins—the lanky one was Marken, and the short one was Linno. She could not help but sigh when her maid, Arissa, told her about it. How can their parents let them have that kind of rotten personality? She hoped never to encounter those three for the rest of their stay in the palace.

 

Ariadne glanced behind her and saw Osriel with a baffled expression as they were near the entrance to the palace library.

 

“So, what are we doing again here in the library?” Osriel asked behind her. “You told me we are doing something fun?”

 

“That’s right, so that’s why we are doing something that the two of us might enjoy,” she said.

 

Osriel stopped following her and said, “but today is my free day, and I may do anything, and reading books is not on the list.”

 

Ariadne had almost gasped at what Osriel said; it was something that the Osriel she knew would not say. She knew him as someone fond of books, especially if the subject was economics and politics.

 

“Why don’t we just play outside? Are you not tired of being alone in this library?” He said as he glanced toward the towering shelves of books. 

 

Ariadne thought about it. Perhaps his studies are really ludicrous for him to desire a break.

 

“If that’s what His Grace wanted, then we should go outside.”

 

When Ariadne said it, Osriel’s face brightened in excitement. He turned and sprinted in the hallway. For a moment, Ariadne was lost on what she should do. If Osriel hadn’t looked back to shout at her, she would not have even thought of chasing after him.

 

Thankfully, I decided to dress lightly this day. She thought as Osriel got further and further away from her. Why does a kid like him have such a long stride?!

 

Outside, a cold breeze welcomed the two of them. But since their body was already warm from running, it did little to make them shiver. Osriel only stopped running when they reached the marble fountain at the center of the garden. Both had labored breaths, mist forming every time they exhaled the air in their lungs.

 

Ariadne wasn’t sure where the young duke would bring her, but it might be the most intimate thing that he might share with her in this life. Perhaps a secret place, a tree that he grew himself, or a bed of flowers that he planted. But no matter how small it was, this would still be part of her progress toward her goal.

 

They finally stopped when they reached the large pond before her. The pond was 30 meters in length and 15 meters in width; it had an irregular side that slowly eroded in time. Legends said that this pond was part of Aladriel’s experiment to create a portal to Genia Eljare, or the Land of Sinners, for him to recover the soul of her dead wife.

 

The path there was not cobbled but instead made of dirt. Bushes with flowers of different colors were blooming close to the pond. There were also patches of tulips among the shrubs of wild grass and flowers. Towering trees with thick foliage of red and orange leaves surrounded the pond, which made the place resemble a clearing in the middle of the forest. 

 

In the breathtaking scenery before her, something caught Ariadne’s attention; it was the white Gazebo that stood on the western area of the pond.

 

The duke crouched on the edge of the pond and stared intently at the water’s calm surface. Ariadne had wondered what the duke was looking for. She planned to follow what he did, but midway through crouching, she felt eyes behind her. Ariadne stopped and turned only to see the silent and empty garden. Did my instinct just fail me? Or I am just too stressed to imagine things that weren’t there.

 

She shook her head and kneeled beside Osriel; from this close, she realized how pristine the water was. Underneath the surface, she saw stones of different colors and two blue fishes with red-colored fins. She fixed her gaze on those fishes as the realization came to her. In her previous lifetime, Osriel had told her that the blue fishes were something his mother had carried from the Imperial Palace so that she would have a memento of where she grew up. 

 

“They’re beautiful,” she said.

 

Osriel nodded. “They are; this is my favorite place and the room my mother used to use when the weather became too unbearably cold. Those two places reminded me of her. My father told me that when he married mother, she asked him to build a pond in our garden. My father complied, and she brought those two fishes from the Imperial Palace and took care of them even when she was carrying me.”

 

The young duke stopped talking and dipped the tip of his finger into the pond. One of the fishes resurfaced, causing a ripple to appear on the peaceful surface. In just a few sentences, Ariadne realized how much he longed for his mother’s love. She can only imagine how hard it was for him—to know about someone you love through the stories told by others and to meet the person only in paintings painted from someone’s eyes.

 

“I think it is my responsibility to protect them as my mother is no longer here to do it for them.”

 

Ariadne’s mouth gaped and repeatedly closed as she tried to find appropriate words. But she also knew there were no appropriate words to ease his feelings. What she could offer was assurance that he was doing the right thing.

 

“I’m sure if Her Grace sees you, she will be proud.”

 

Osriel turned at her, “she will?”

 

“She will.” Because you will grow into a fine ruler who has the willingness to protect his subordinates, and for that, I swore my loyalty to you for eternity. And in this lifetime, I also promised to do the same. I will pave the easiest way for you.

 

After that, they fell silent, watching the fishes bobbing their head to the surface. Ariadne thought it was relatively peaceful… for the first time since she returned to the past, the throbbing pain in her head subsided.

 

As they walked back to the palace, Ariadne could not help but think that she knew little about Osriel. It was as if what she knew about him was the façade he showed to people. What if, all those years, he didn’t even want to study what he was studying and that he was just doing that out of duty… She immediately shook her head. What a depressing thought.

 

--

 

She became more aware of the vassals’ prejudice against Osriel at a small party organized by the vassals themselves. She and her father were also invited, so she had no choice but to be present, though she would rather feed the horses in the stable. The night before the party, her father had instructed her to talk and get close to other kids. She smiled at him and rolled her eyes in annoyance at the thought of those three boys. I would rather feed the horses in the stable.

 

The hall was already crowded when they arrived; aside from the vassals, Duke Ellisar had also invited some distinguished businessmen, priests, and artisans. 

 

The celebration was simple because it would only serve as a way for the nobles to talk with the duke’s family and rekindle their relationship with other houses.

 

She looked around, unsure of what she would do next. Her eyes landed on Lewis; he was specially dressed like a real gentleman today. You would not believe that this boy could do those things… His black and silver coat had especially suited his fair complexion. No wonder people are surrounding him.

 

Lewis stopped talking, and as if he knew he was being watched, he turned at her and flashed a smile in her direction. What a flirt, as if that would work on me?

 

She turned away and started searching for something to do aside from talking, but what she found was Osriel and the Duke. The two were talking to the current head and heir of the Asrogai Family. Even from here, Ariadne could notice the dismay they subtly threw at Osriel. For some reason, her gut told her Osriel knew that the adults didn’t like him.

 

Did he suffer this kind of treatment ever since? No wonder he turned out like that.

 

The rest of the party was suffocating, his father had to meet several people, so she had to leave him. 

 

“You have to talk with them,” he said before he left.

 

But striking a conversation was challenging, especially with the reputation she had right now. They kept giving her a look of disgust. Ariadne shrugged it off like a proper lady, but her patience was not endless. It would eventually run out, especially if this freckled girl kept raising her brows at her as she gave Ariadne the eye. 

 

“Bah,” she said to her.

 

Okay, that’s it. It is the last piece I need. Ariadne let the girl walk past her, but she would never let the bitch leave without so much as a broken bone. She balled her fist and walked towards the nearest wall. She touched it; the burst of energy had almost made her lose her balance.

 

She gritted her teeth and searched for the girl among the crowd. When she had finally found what she was looking for, Ariadne started singing the First Song of Attraction as silently as possible. The First Song was a favorite among Leechers; it was a primary song that would pull any object you want toward your direction.

 

The left heel of the girl’s shoes became attracted to her direction, until it snapped away from the shoes themselves. The girl tripped and fell backward with a thud. Ariadne would later learn from her father that a girl had broken her ankles at the party, and it seemed she would not be dancing for the Winternight.

 

The people started crowding around the girl. It gave Ariadne a chance to leave before the commotion could spread. She walked towards the food and served herself everything that attracted her eyes, mainly cakes with fresh strawberry toppings. She thought she was already safe, but as she was eating, some annoyance sat across her. 

 

“Does my lady enjoy being alone in the corner?” Lewis said with a smile. “Are you not supposed to find a girl your age or a man you might marry.”

 

What’s with him? Because it sounded as if that potential man he was talking is himself. Does he not feel gross? 

 

She must admit that black clothes with his hair pushed back suited Lewis Alexander, the style highlighted the color of his yellow eyes. He almost looked like a proper prince that most dumb noble ladies dream of, except he is no prince but the psychopath brother of the prince who was obsessed with his brother’s throne.

 

Ariadne gave the man her warmest smile. “I had enough of talking with them, My Lord. For me, it is now time to judge the chef’s precious cooking. I do not want to shame myself by letting my stomach growl while trying to woo a potential husband.”

 

Lewis chuckled rather too loud. The girls near their table all turned at him. “That’s right, a lady shouldn’t be subjected to that kind of embarrassment… what about the books? Are you done with the green yet?”

 

Ariadne nodded. “I’m now collecting the red one; maybe I’ll check the blue one afterward.”

 

“My lady must be careful; some books are too high for your short arms. If my lady allows, I can accompany you on your mission to open all the red-colored books.” Lewis put his hand on his chest.

 

Ariadne looked at her balefully.

 

“No,” She firmly rejected his offer but changed her mind once he saw the shock on his face. “I mean, that’s good, but I think His Lordship was now too old to do those odd things. Why don’t you just focus on trying to find a girl you can marry.”

 

Lewis only looked at her, when the realization finally came to Ariadne: she had almost wanted to storm out of the party.

 

He opened his mouth to speak, but what he was about to say was cut by an announcement.

 

Two weeks from now, another party would be held; it would also involve a special event called Wisdom Contest. When she realized what it was, Ariadne couldn’t help but smile. This is the perfect opportunity for Osriel to prove himself.

 

Across her, she hadn’t noticed that Lewis Alexander was observing her.

5