Chapter 189: The Last Knight
151 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As a princess, few were more accustomed to knights than myself. 

Despite their indulgence in ceaseless pageantry, they were the single greatest source of general disturbance within my kingdom. Hooligans upending tables in bars could only hope to compare to the sheer amount of calamity knights caused wherever they went, their bright banners and brighter smiles catching the shrieking joy of town girls everywhere. 

Even so, they were the lance against our foes. 

As steadfast in their duties as the dawn was against the night, they represented the epitome of my kingdom’s defenders. Sworn to more vows than the maids who accidentally witnessed me lounging upon my stomach and kicking my feet as I turned the pages to A Court Lady’s Indiscretion, the knights of my kingdom were as loyal as they were prone to causing local economies to grind to a halt.

But all duty had an end. 

A final reward for long years of meritorious service and sacrifice. 

The screaming of maidens may echo like a dying mandrake, but they paled to the whinnying of horses and the sound of solitude. To be a knight was to live a life of sacrifice.

And in this one, I saw one who continued to do so long after their duty had been fulfilled.

An oathbound spirit.

Undying apparitions anchored to the world. They represented all that they were in life, now continued in death. But unlike the wailing bloodthirst of banshees or the single-minded vengeance of revenants, these were righteous souls whose existence was tied to a vow left unfulfilled.

And that purpose, more than any lust for violence, made them more dangerous than any wraith.

“Sir Carrius of the Hollow Vow,” I said, offering the rare joy of not instantly tossing aside a name. “I’ve heard much about your order, in books now only issued by the black hands of history tutors. I regret to say that the Emerald Knights no longer exist. Not unless the elves are even more secretive than I imagined them to be.”

The Emerald Knight braved a small smile, filled with a sombre joy.

“Your history tutors may need to add an amendment. The Knights of the Emerald Order still exist, even should they all now consist solely of myself.”

“A joy to hear. It’s rare to find an order famed only for their knightly qualities. I’ve read no stories of scandal in the pages of your history. To have not a single knight be disowned for ferrying away a noble mistress in the night is an impressive feat.”

“Quite so. Though I will not speak ill of any peer, I will say that joining the ranks of my order requires more than skill at arms. Our mistress is duty. And her demands do not permit us to forget our oaths.”

“And what is your oath, spirit?”

“To give oneself in life. To give oneself in death. And so I stand as the Last Knight amidst the ruin of what once was, fated to view that which I couldn’t stop, even as I stand unfading, but not unbroken.”

“The Last Knight. Quite the mantle to bear. And yet you wear it well. I see you still stand by your duties. Quite the trove of trinkets you’ve collected.”

I nodded towards the fallen weaponry and armour, each claimed by rust, moss and time.

“Looters, assassins, traitors,” he answered simply. “Come to take the crown from an Elven King’s head. The current one included.”

“Pity they didn’t succeed.”

“I quite agree.”

I raised a brow.

“Does your mantle permit you to speak ill of your liege?”

“I’m required to defend his person. Not his honour. Eucian of the Stars is lacking in both wisdom and learning. I decry the falling dignity of our rulers more than the crumbling stone. Between his simpering smile and hidden laughter, I witness a scheme to project a shadow of our former home. A butchered parody of what once was. He will bring about the final shame of our people. I weep at my role, for none can imagine what horrors he has planned.”

I rolled my eyes.

The vagrant king doubtlessly intended to restore the ancient Elven Kingdom through some vague maleficious process. Right at this time, he was probably swirling a cup of wine while monologuing about the fruits of his scheming. 

That wasn’t cause for concern. That was court intrigue at the level of tea time gossip.

“I see. A troubling and unexpected development.”

“Quite so. I sincerely hope that should the day come when you find a crown upon your head, you shall wield it not to shackle those who were already bound … Your Highness.”

The elven knight’s gaze softened towards me.

For a moment, the battling vividness within his eyes stilled as he proceeded to offer a full bow.

“Forgive me, if you will, if it has taken me too long to offer the courtesy I should have provided. I welcome you to the Courtyard of the Orange Fountain, Princess of another realm.”

I waited for him to complete his adherence to etiquette, timing the number of seconds before he raised his head at the correct deferential angle. 

3.178 seconds.

Timed to perfection. Posture faultless. No complaints.

8/10.

“A surprise,” I said, offering a nod. “You possess sharp eyes to see through my masterful disguise.”

“Merely long experience, Your Highness. I’ve served almost as many princesses as I have seen seasons. Even should my vision fade, I would not mistake the aura of royalty. And yours … you carry it with grace and dignity. More so than I have seen for many a year in these broken halls.”

I nodded again as I modestly accepted the long overdue praise.

Then, I gave a roll of my hand, signalling for him to continue.

His moment of pause was barely discernible. A veteran knight, indeed.

“Within your presence, the very air blossoms with a regalness distinct from even the high princesses I served in my youth. To witness the noble aura you carry reminds me of the kingdom that once when at its height …” 

I motioned to continue.

“... for as you roll your hands more elegantly than a wave caressing the shores of a lake, I’m gladdened that amidst my years of solitude, such a source of solace and respite could be found as your royal presence.”

With a nod of satisfaction, I turned to Coppelia. 

She looked back at me with a very fixed smile.

“Ohohohohohoho … witness the truth as spoken by an entirely unpaid, unthreatened and neutral third party! My very presence is a balm to even that which no longer lives! My beauty transcends worlds!” 

“Ehhh … I bet he says that to all the princesses.”

“Nonsense.” I turned to the knight. “Do you say that to all the princesses?”

He blinked.

Then, he glanced away.

“... No.”

I pursed my lips.

Ugh. Knights.

“Very well. You may rejoice. In acknowledgement of your ode to etiquette, I shall give you advice over the long term security of your current employment. You have none. The one you call your liege is in financial arrears. After I’ve extracted my rightfully owed sum for the centuries of illegal tenancy, he will have little but the oranges here to pay you.”

As was only appropriate, the elven knight chuckled in response.

“Then he would be a miserly king, for these oranges are assuredly already my own.” 

“Is that so?” I swept my gaze across the dipping branches. “A strange thing. To be able to admire bergamots so far to the north of my kingdom is an oddity more unusual than an oathbound spirit. It’s rare to see them grow in such temperate climates, and so well.”

“The compliment is most appreciated, Your Highness. It is the only liberty I’ve been afforded. I cannot wash away the sight of rubble, but I can, in time, hide it amidst a forest of orange and green.”

“A noble goal. Especially to beautify a courtyard not your own. My apologies, but all of this is the domain of the Kingdom of Tirea, as it has been since the days your vow was still young. And while I note your public service, there are greater ways you may assist. I ask that you step aside.”

“... To permit he who wears the Crown of Sages to come to harm?”

“To choose not to defend a king who your oath owes no allegiance towards. But do not fear. A greater one can be found close at hand. My father would doubtless welcome an experienced knight into his service, spirit or not.”

The elven knight smiled. A hint of true amusement amidst the bleakness of his eyes.

“Were it so easy to trade oaths, I would not be an Emerald Knight. I’m afraid I cannot abandon my duties, for no magic binds me greater than that which I cast upon myself. And so I offer my apologies. For the light of righteousness you carry is one I must seek to darken, even if it tears my soul to do so. Such is duty.”

I nodded, having expected little else.

“Such is duty?”

“Such is duty.”

“Would you seek to strike me down, then? A princess whose hands roll more elegantly than a wave caressing the shores of a serene lake?”

“I would, and may damnation take my cursed mantle for it, for I fear it will not be that sword by your side, Your Highness.”

“That sword by my side is Starlight Grace. And its song in my hand as it prunes the dormant stems on my apple trees is greater than that of any other.”

“Perhaps it was. A century ago. Two centuries. Five. But there have been many dawns since I was last an esquire, and I can no longer count the number of foes I have defeated.”

The Emerald Knight placed his hand upon his hilt, his expression grown grim.

“I am Sir Carrius of the Hollow Vow. The Last Knight of the Emerald Order. And though I have witnessed the splendid tale of sword princesses in the past, I regret to say that no story can overcome the bleak ending of my oath.”

As he shifted his posture, I held up a finger.

“Wait.”

He paused.

“Yes?”

“I am not accustomed to fighting knights. In fact, I’m entirely accustomed to them protecting me. And while knights can and often do regularly overstay their permitted length of conversation with me, to gain my attention by fighting me to a duel to the death is against all established decorum. It is, frankly, highly inappropriate. Are you certain there is no underhanded method to which I can bribe, coerce or otherwise convert you to my side?”

He gave a sad smile.

“I am certain.” 

The Emerald Knight placed his helmet upon his head, before lifting his sword from his sheath. It burned with the colour of embers, though it contained no flames.

And then–

He struck.

Ohoho! Thank you so much for reading!

Join my Patreon to read 20+ chapters ahead!

And don't forget to check out the Discord for fun and pictures!

10