Adventure 173 Zombified Hobgoblin and its minions
71 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liam had a lot of questions as he stared at the status and name of the creature that was currently thrashing the man who had brashly assaulted him earlier. First was, why was there a level twenty five monster here? Sure, it was an elite monster, but from what Cindy had explained the higher leveled monsters were deeper in the forest. Even then the highest that was currently reported in this specific dungeon was at least level twelve or thirteen.

Second, for a level twenty five elite monster why was its health lower than the Engulfing Sea Ooze he had fought back in the Seaside Cave of the Water Slimes Dungeon? That Ooze creature had a hundred more health points and was lower leveled than this Elite monster.

And lastly…Zombified? As in an Undead type of monster? Liam was no expert, but he was told from multiple sources that Undead type monsters were in Black Dungeons. Last time he checked this was supposed to be a Green Dungeon. No undead type monsters should be here in this dungeon.

Eri? What the hell is going on here? Liam questioned as he took in the creature.

Now that Liam was getting a better look at it, he could see it had some features similar to its lesser cousin the Feeble Forest Goblin. It was bald with razor sharp teeth, and green skin. However, that is where the similarities ended. Instead of a rabbit furred loincloth this creature had some sort of cloth pants. Mixed with its green skin were dark grey patches all over the skin that was still intact.  Along the right rib cage, bones protruded from torn and destroyed skin. Its eyes had some of its black color, however a silverish grey had started to coat over it.

I really don’t know. There shouldn’t be any undead creatures in this dungeon at all. Eri stated. Not only that, but its stats are skewed, and this Hobgoblin is much taller than it should be. Almost like…

Liam’s brows scrunched as he noticed Eri had trailed off. Almost like what?

A couple seconds had passed before Eri started back up. However, Liam noticed there was some concern in her voice as she stated, First things first. Liam, your friend there isn’t doing so good.

What do you mean? Liam asked as he looked down at Cindy.

She was still passed out on his shoulder. He had almost forgotten she was there since the Hobgoblin had emerged. He wasn’t sure why she was still passed out or what was going on, but then he noticed something in the corner of his eye, around the status information. She had a debuff as well as her health slowly ticking down.

 


“Cindy. 1,991/2,323 HP. 1,358/1,910 MP. 1,770/2,010 Stam. Level – 21.”

“Paralytic Adder Venom. 5 minutes.”


 

Liam pulled up the information on the debuff and read it.

 


“Paralytic Adder Venom – A slow poison crafted using Liquified Lightning and Venom from a Twin Fanged Adder found in a forest or grass field type dungeon. The Venom spreads through the bloodstream of the target not only poisoning them, but also paralyzing every muscle depending on the quality of the crafted poison.”


 

After Liam read the description he noticed the timer glitch. Every time it went to four minutes fifty-nine seconds it would refresh back to five minutes.

Shit! Why isn’t the timer going down? Liam cursed as he went to set her down against the rocks they were hiding themselves behind. After he leaned her back against the rock he noticed the dagger that was still in her stomach.

Liam cursed himself for not noticing this sooner and went to pull the dagger out. However, before he could grab the hilt Eri stopped him.   

Wait stop! Eri shouted.

Jesus fucking Christ Eri! Why are you telling me to stop? I need to pull that dagger out so she’ll stop being poisoned and paralyzed. Liam panicked as he swiftly moved his hand away from the dagger.

Normally I would agree with you, but if you pull that dagger out right now then she will get a Bleed debuff which will accelerate her loss of health. You’re going to need to treat the wound and get it to stop with that Medicinal Creation item you have… Eri started to explain.

If you know that then why did you stop me? Liam asked feeling frustration start to overwhelm him.

Because it will take some time and you won’t be able to do that and fight off those monsters. Eri stated.

This made Liam grow confused. After seeing what was going on with Cindy he had forgotten about the monsters that were on the other side of the rocks. He didn’t know why he was being so forgetful. This wasn’t like him.

Can I fight them? With everything going on with me right now, shouldn’t I get away from here? Liam questioned as he looked back at Cindy.

Normally I would suggest it, but with your stats and having to carry that girl away while she’s still paralyzed and unconscious there’s no way you’ll be able to get away. Eri informed.

Are you serious? Liam asked as he started working his mind. Panic started to work its way back into his thoughts as he tried to think about what he could do. I know those Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins are almost dead, but that Hobgoblin is level twenty-five. I don’t think I’ll be able to…

Liam. Eri said as calmly as she could. You have fought against Undead type monsters. You know what is strong against them.

But I don’t have Fire magic. I only have… Liam stopped as a plan started to form in his mind.

Eri didn’t need him to tell her what he was thinking. This was one of those times where he projected his thoughts to her subconsciously and she was glad about it. She was glad because she could help add some things he wasn’t thinking about.

That’s right. You have that strategy. You should have about three or four vials of that oil left. Not only that, but you have your other magic and weapons as well. Eri suggested.

What about… Liam started to argue.

If you were around any one then I wouldn’t suggest it, but you have two advantages right now. Eri started. First, those guys already ran away before those goblins could get to them and that girl is passed out. If you hide her there she should be fine.

Liam risked a peek around the rock he was hiding behind and saw that she was right. The Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins, the Zombified Hobgoblin Warrior and the very dead Larix were the only beings around.

As he brought his head back behind the rock, Eri added, Second, you can lure them into the cave for an extra layer of coverage. That being said, you still aren’t at the same level of fighting power you were at back at the Tutorial Area, but with your ability to adapt I believe you can survive…it’s a very low probability, but it’s better than nothing.

Liam thought it over. She was right. He could use his other abilities while no one else was around. Adding the fact that the cave could hide everything from prying eyes, he could go all out. However, she was also right that he wasn’t at full power yet. This damn debuff was still holding him back. He knew he only had a couple more days till it was fully gone, but that wouldn’t help him at this exact moment.

However, none of that mattered because if he didn’t try, not only would Cindy die from the poison, but he would die too. He needed to do this.

Eri could see the gears working overtime and hear the thoughts running through his mind. She knew it was a tall order for him to take on this creature right now. The only saving grace for him was how low the creature’s health was compared to what it would normally be for its level. As she watched him war with himself over what he could do and couldn’t do, she noticed movement slowly heading closer to where he was.

Liam. Times up. You need to drink a health potion and just do what you need to do. Eri stated. Liam was about to say something else, but was cut off as Eri growled, There are a couple of Goblins making their way towards your area. You are going to be spotted soon and they won’t just be going after you. Cindy will die if you don’t get your head on straight. Now go!

Liam was shocked. However, even though he was shocked by how Eri had just yelled at him, it was what he needed to start getting ready. As quickly as he could, Liam pulled up his inventory and pulled out a Poor Minty Health Potion and drank it. As he drank it, he opened up his wardrobe feature and switched his current armor for the armor set he wore back at the end of the Tutorial Dungeon.

He felt the familiar feeling of his old armor hugging him as his body felt relief from the potion coursing through his stomach. He got a good look at the armor since it had been so long since he last wore it. It was still kind of banged up from his last boss fight, but it was still better than the armor he was wearing before.

Feeling a little more confident, Liam crouched down and readied himself as his hands slowly moved towards the daggers in his Throwing Dagger Scabbard as Eri announced, There are a total of eight Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins and one Zombified Hobgoblin Warrior. Four have wooden clubs while the rest have wooden spears. The weaker goblins are slowly dying to some debuff so it won’t take much to kill them, however that Undead Hobgoblin will be a bit of a problem. While it is undead, it still has the defense and attacking power of his non-Undead version. You will need to come up with a good strategy to take it down. Before that though, there are two with clubs slowly heading your way. Try to get their attention along with the others and lure them into the cave.

Liam nodded as he took a deep breath in. After holding it for two seconds he slowly let it roll off his lips. He could feel his tense body relax a bit. All nervousness he was feeling was still there, but he was able to push it down as he mentally forced himself to focus on the task at hand.

Your best window is in five, four, three, two, one…now! Eri informed.

As soon as he heard the now, Liam stood up, turned his body to face the creatures as he took a step out, without fully focusing on his aim, threw the first dagger with his right hand and then the second with his left. Both daggers sank right into the chests of the two Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins that were right there before him.

Without wasting another second, Liam grabbed two more daggers, aimed for the next closest goblins, and threw his daggers. He didn’t wait to see if they had landed. Instead, he repeated each process with the remaining Disease Feeble Goblins. After that he threw two daggers at the Hobgoblin and then ran as fast as he could right for the open cave mouth.

As he turned and started to run, he could hear the gurgled yells escape the mouths of the Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins. Their wet vomit filled yells were quickly drowned out as a much louder angered roar escaped from the Zombified Hobgoblin Warrior.

Liam risked taking a look behind him as he stepped inside the cave and instantly regretted it. As he entered the cave he felt his feet touch nothing but air and fell to the ground quickly.  

It didn’t take long for him to hit the ground. He let out an Oof as his body slid across the dirt filled floor. After he stopped he placed his hands down and got up as fast as he could and spun around. As he turned his head he noticed the ground was much lower and didn’t line up with the edge of the cave.

He thought it was strange that the Hobgoblin was in here since the cave mouth wasn’t tall enough for the creature to comfortably walk out of it. He was able to understand as he saw that the ground sloped down a bit, making the cave look much taller on the inside. There were four rocky pillars spread out supporting the roof of the cave.

He quickly ran to the back of the cave as he heard the creatures make their way towards the cave. After he made it there he spun around and looked at the deranged monsters enter. He breathed in and out a couple of times as he waited for all the creatures to enter the room. The smaller goblins had no issue entering, but the Hobgoblin had to crouch a bit before entering.

Once when all the creatures entered, Liam forgone channeling any mana and started chanting as the creature got closer and closer, “Moon, beautiful and radiant. Bless up with your power to lighten up the night. Expose those which try to hide within your majestic light. Lunar Exposure!”

As he chanted the spell he watched as a raven black orb appeared in front of his blade. The familiar pale white light that he strangely missed shone around the orb and started to change the color as the orb then grew to the size of a basketball. After the raven black color of the orb had completely changed, Liam didn’t waste any time and threw it.

He then turned around while closing his eyes. Shortly after that, he heard pained filled shouts escape the mouths of the monsters. He waited a second more before opening his eyes and turned to see the creatures slamming their hands against their heads where their eyes were. They stumbled around trying to reorient themselves but failed as they moved about like people being highly intoxicated for the first time.

Liam watched as the eight Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins stumbled around and bump into each other in a group. Liking his luck, Liam swiftly focused on the daggers and pulled them back to him with Mana Manipulation. As the daggers returned he noticed that not all of his daggers came back. This told him that he had missed a couple of them when he tried getting their attention earlier.

Pushing that out of his mind and returning to the task at hand, Liam pulled out two muddy brown oily liquid vials and sprinted towards the stumbling goblins. He popped open one of the corks and splashed the contents against as many as he could before doing the same with the other.

He knew he didn’t get them all, but he didn’t need to. He just needed to get as much of the oily liquid on as many as he could. After he finished with that, Liam chanted as he held his right hand out, palm up, “Come forth heat of flames and burn the pyre before you. Become the tool that will help. Light and burn!”

A flame flickered to life on his palm. After it had fully formed, Liam threw the flame towards the closest Diseased Feeble Forest Goblin and watched as the flame lit up across the Goblin’s head and spread throughout its body. Anywhere the liquid rolled down, the flame ran.

The Diseased Feeble Forest Goblin let out a loud high pitch gurgled scream as it slapped itself, trying to put out the fire. However, as it squirmed around, the creature bumped into two others that were hit with the oil, lighting them up as well. Like a domino effect, each goblin that was hit with the oil caught on fire and scrambled about.

The Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins that weren’t hit with the oil earlier weren’t safe as the goblins that were on fire either ran into them or were hit with random flying fiery liquid that was being swiped away from the panicking goblins that were on fire.

Liam moved out of the way by jumping backwards towards the back of the cave away from them. He smiled as he watched the scene play out. He didn’t know why, but it felt good to him to use this method. He shook his head to snap out of the mindset he was going into and bring his head back in the game. He went to reach into his inventory for another vial to use on the Hobgoblin, but then froze as he felt his Danger Sense suddenly flared up.

Liam snapped his head up to see one of the flaming Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins was flying straight at him. As quickly as he could, he jumped to his left to dodge. The creature barely missed him as it crashed face first into the rocky wall behind him with a loud squish.

He was about to think he was in the clear until his Danger Sense flared back up once more to see another flaming Goblin. This one was a thrown a bit higher. The angle confused Liam since it wasn’t aimed for him directly, however, he came to understand why his Danger Sense had activated as the goblin crashed right into the roof of the cave, causing a medium sized boulder to fall down on top of Liam.

Liam quickly jumped backwards, narrowly dodging the decent sized rock. He cautiously peeked his head out from the side of the rock to see what was going on, just in time to see the Zombified Hobgoblin Warrior reach out and grab one of the goblins that was on fire by the head and aim for Liam’s head.

“Oh shit!” Liam shouted before pulling his head back in time to see the goblin fly right by the area his head once was. Feeling his heart beating faster and harder, Liam grew confused. He was confused and concerned. He may have fought Undead type monsters before, but none of them, zombies that is, were smart enough to do this.

Liam felt the rock in front of him rumble as something slammed right into it. His mind whirled fast as thoughts ran through his mind. However, no matter what ran through his mind. He kept coming back to two thoughts. Blurting them out loud, Liam shouted, “I thought this was a Zombie?! How the hell can it use such a smart tactic?!”

2