Adventure 176 – Could be more going on
105 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liam stared at the spot where Larix, the Wolf-folk’s, body was laying at. Except, instead of seeing a Wolf-folk, something else was laying there. The position of the body was the same as Larix’s. His right arm barely hanging on by the elbow, the left leg twisted in an unnatural way while a bone protruded from the right knee, and parts of the rest of his body was caved in.

There was no fur anywhere on the body. The color of his skin was now a deep crimson red. His wolf ears were gone and were replaced with two red horns protruding from his head, parting most of his long messy white hair. His body was toned and showed off more muscle than he originally had while he had a wolf-folk body. Two fangs stuck out from his bottom lip.

“Eri…what the hell is going on here?” Liam asked as he kept his eyes on the person laying there.

It took Eri a bit to reply. Liam felt like she was trying to piece things together as he waited for a response. After a few moments she finally said, That could explain why that happened…

“What can explain what?” Liam questioned, feeling very confused.

What you’re seeing before you is a Demon-kin race known as an Oni. Eri started to explain. I’m not entirely sure what happened or why it’s here. I have some theories though.

“What theories?” Liam inquired.

It was probably using some sort of Illusion spell to disguise itself. Eri continued. Since he ended up dying, the spell deactivated. As to why he is here, I’m not sure, but I think I know why he attacked you so suddenly and viciously.

“Why?” Liam asked.

I believe he is a follower of one of the Seven Immoral Vices. Eri stated.

Liam was about to ask why she thought that until a memory resurfaced. It was the memory of what had happened on his first day here on the island. When that Incubus saw him and instantly grew feral and wanted to kill him regardless of his safety.

This Oni must have gone mad right when his Hubris Aura ignited. He must have felt it and went berserk at the sight of him using it.

Liam nodded his head as he thought about it. Coming to that conclusion though only created more questions. Why was he disguising himself as a Beast-kin? Why was he pretending to be a mercenary for hire? Did those other Beast-kins know what he was? Were they also in disguise?

The questions piled on with each new one that formed. However, Liam knew this wasn’t the time to be trying to get answers right now. He needed to get out of here before those guys came back or anyone else stumbled on to their location.

Liam went to turn away from the dead guy, but stopped as he saw something flash at the corner of his eye. At first Liam thought it was either his or Cindy’s stat bars, but then noticed it was right next to the dead body.

Liam slowly approached the body to get a better look. Next to the body was a small pouch. Confused, Liam asked, “What is that Eri?”

Looks like it’s a Space Pouch. Eri replied.

“A Space Pouch?” Liam repeated, still confused.

Yes. A Space Pouch is a bag with inventory like features. You can store items in it. He must have had it on his hip when he died. Normally anything in someone’s inventory would be lost forever. Eri explained. She then smiled as she added, Its you’re lucky day. Since he had this on his hip, any and all salvageable items he was wearing went straight into it. Grab it and we’ll look over the contents later. For now, you need to get out of there before anyone shows up.

Liam didn’t hesitate as he grabbed the pouch and threw it into his inventory. He then tried to hustle over to Cindy. As soon as he got to her, he picked her up and pulled her over his back as gently as he could. He felt a sharp pain run up his left leg as he felt the pressure of Cindy on his back come down on him.

He gritted his teeth and tried to push his thoughts away from the pain. He then thought about his Veil of Shadow ability and tried activating it. He felt the cold sensation he normally felt when the shadows surrounded him and tried to see if it covered Cindy as well. He believed it would work, but he wasn’t sure. He wasn’t going to keep it activated if it only cloaked himself. He thought about the looks he would see if he walked around with his ability only cloaking him and not her. He imagined looks of confusion or shock as an unconscious girl floated around.

To confirm if it worked he asked Eri. Eri confirmed that it did work, but she also agreed that people would give those looks he was thinking about if they saw a floating girl. He didn’t know why, but hearing Eri agree with his thoughts made him smile a bit.

Without needing to be around anymore and not wanting any trouble to come find them, Liam started for the portal.

It took Liam a lot longer getting to the portal than he wanted. Not only did he have to walk slowly so not to have his Veil of Shadow spell disappear, he also had to carry Cindy on his back while she was passed out. Adding to the fact that he was still hurt and having to limp his way, the rest of his body was aching and hurting.

He wasn’t entirely sure why the pain and soreness was still there even after drinking a couple of Poor Orange Stamina Potions. He could only surmise that he had overworked his body enough for the pain, ache, and soreness to remain. He believed that he was right about this because he could feel his fatigue rise. He fought to keep his eyes open as he pushed through the forest and carefully through the sea of people that were entering and exiting the entrance he was at.

Once when he made it to the portal he thought about what would happen when they got out. He wasn’t sure if his ability would disappear once they made it to the other side, but he would be ready to reactivate it if it did.

He placed a hand on the portal and waited for the prompt to appear.

 


“Would you and your party like to leave the Goblin Forest? Yes No?”


 

Liam mentally clicked on yes and was getting ready to walk through when another notification appeared. This one was in red.

 


“Warning! You and your team have not completed the amount needed to count as a cleared dungeon run. 19/25 Monsters. 1/1 Elite Monsters. If you leave the dungeon the amount will reset. Do you still wish to leave the Goblin Forest? Yes No?”


 

Liam, feeling frustrated, stared at the notification. If those guys didn’t appear and they didn’t run into the anomalies of this dungeon, they would have easily cleared this dungeon run. However, thanks to all that had happened, they were only six regular monsters shy of meeting the criteria.

With an irritated scowl, Liam accepted. After the notification disappeared, he walked through the portal with Cindy still on his back.

 

                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The cave was quiet. The only thing making any noise inside was the sound of the fire burning the bodies. Smoke slowly wafted out the open mouth of the cave, allowing the room to not be filled with it.

The bodies in the fire crisped as their flesh melted away allowing the fire to dance over the muscles and organs hidden underneath the fleshy armor. The chances of an undead awakening diminished with each second until finally there was no hope for it to happen.

As the fire continued to burn away at these bodies, the massive body of the undead creature that had been killed laid there. Its remaining eye staring at the burning pyre.

Without warning or prompting, the still eyeball suddenly shuddered. It shook once more, then twice. After the fourth time, it suddenly popped out of its socket. The optic nerve still attached to the eyeball stopped it from going too far away and allowed it to dangle next to its fleshy cheek.

After a few seconds had passed, a thin long leg slowly reached out of the socket of the creature. The leg moved around the outside of the socket almost like it was testing something out. After nothing happened, a second, third, and fourth thin legs of different lengths reached out and hooked around the edge of the socket, digging into the soft tissues of the creature’s face, using the skull as a means to pull itself outwards.

The creature that escaped out from the socket wasn’t that big, it was slightly bigger and longer than the size of the monster’s eyeball that it was hiding in. It had eight legs in total and a hairy bulbous abdomen that curved a bit. Laying back on the abdomen was a thin upper body. Arms rested across the chest and stomach while covering the head of the creature that rested on top.

After fully emerging, the head of this new creature leaned forward while stretching out its arms. Its arms were long and thin and bent like a praying mantis’ scythe-like arms. The only difference between this creature’s arms and a praying mantis’ is instead of having scythe-like arms, this creature’s arms were much like its legs. They were smooth and pole like that separated into two claw like hands closer to the top end.

Liquid from hiding and resting inside of the creature’s head rolled down this creature’s body, the liquid coated it so much it slicked back the hair and other things hiding on its body. It shook the liquid off like a dog, allowing the hair to freely move about while several spikes that ran down the back of its neck and body curved upwards.

It opened its two big eyes that rested on its head before allowing several smaller eyes to blink open. Its mandibles opened and closed as it scanned its surroundings.

Its head twitched as several popping sounds mixed with high pitched screams escaped the burning pyre not too far away from it.

Several different emotions ran through its small mind as it watched its newly born siblings dying a burning gruesome death before they could even hatch from the sacs that hid within the taller creatures’ bodies.

Not wanting to dwell on the issues the feelings were starting to make it feel, it turned around to take in the remains of the creature it had just escaped from. It was in terrible shape. This creature was relieved that its fate wasn’t like its sibling that was behind the other eyeball. However, it wasn’t sure if any of its other siblings had survived judging from the shape this creature was in.

Wanting to see if any of its kind had survived, it let out a high pitched scream that only its kind could hear.

It waited a few seconds to see if anything would respond. After nothing responded it decided it would not wait any longer. While sadness and anger did fill it when it saw the scene before it, a different one was starting to overwhelm it. Hunger. It was hungry and its meal was waiting to be devoured.

It wasted no time before starting to dig in to the deceased monster laying in front of it. It would feast. It would feast and grow. While doing both it would also fulfill the purpose it was given.

For these creatures were the first that would fall to their purpose. The other monsters that lurked around the area would eventually fall and become nourishment for the many more to come. Then after that…it will return to the one it felt was calling it.

 

                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Liam fought back the bile that swirled inside of his stomach. He fought the urge to fall to his knees and just allow the liquid to project out of his mouth. Cindy, however, had no way to fight those urges as liquid shot out from her mouth.

Liam was lucky that majority of the vomit missed his back and head as her head was pointed towards the portal. As lucky as he was though, there was still a small amount that rolled down her cheek and ended up on his back.

Liam shuddered at the feeling. He knew he couldn’t complain since she was passed out, but that still didn’t mean he couldn’t grumble about it.

He rechecked with Eri to make sure the Veil of Shadow was still activated around Cindy and was pleased that her sudden jerky movements from throwing up didn’t deactivate it.

After Liam repositioned Cindy on his back, he slowly made his way out from the Dungeon Tower and towards the Cat’s Paw-ldron.

As he walked, thoughts about the group of Beast-kins that ambushed them replayed in his mind.

He didn’t know how long they had been waiting to ambush them. He didn’t know when they planned on doing it or where they were this entire time. If they had been trailing him and waiting for him to enter that dungeon then did they wait while he was in the Blue Dungeon? Did they follow him to the Advertures Association and watch everything that went down?

That Weasel-folk, Dirk, seemed to have some information on him since he knew he was new. However, his reaction to when he found out about him being a half-breed told Liam he didn’t know everything. If his employer was the one who supplied the information then they should have known if it was someone from the showcase. If they weren’t from the showcase then he was even more confused.

The group knew where and who he was supplying the potions and other items made from those materials. Remembering the threats they made about destroying their store made him mad back then; thinking about them now made him even more pissed. Destroying the livelihood of innocent people just to get what they wanted was a coward’s thing to do. It was cowardly and childish.

He needed to know who their employer was even more. If they were threatening those who he was growing to like and respect then he needed to make sure they understood that it wouldn’t end well.

Liam shook his head, trying to stop his mind from going back down that path he was trying to get away from. A small bit of him felt like he was being stupid. He knew people who sent out thugs to intimidate or threaten others to get their way from back on Earth. Things either escalated quickly or the people would fold. Either case, it wasn’t pretty in the end.

He needed to get information. He needed to find a place where he could get that information and he had a vague idea where he could get that. However, before he went there he needed to figure out why his Spirit Pool wasn’t replenishing.

He stopped his thoughts as he turned a corner and saw the building he was making his way to. The Cats Paw-ldron looked to be intact. Nothing seemed out of sorts from the outside and it made him feel relieved.

Before he entered the building, Liam deactivated his Veil of Shadows. The bell above the door announced his arrival to the occupants of the store. Luckily for him no one was in there except for Abby and Farry who were behind the counter.

They both turned and were about to greet who had entered but stopped as they took Liam and Cindy in.

Abby’s eyes widened as Liam recognized worry and fright fill them. Farry, for his part, kept a calm tone as he looked at Abby and instructed, “Lock the door and turn the sign over saying we’re closed.”

Abby swiftly looked at her uncle. She was about to say something, but stopped as she recognized something on her uncle’s face. Instead, she nodded and made her way over to the door.

“Hurry back here,” Farry instructed as he waved a hand towards Liam and walked towards the door in the back of the building.

Liam limped as quickly as he could over to it. Not saying a word as Abby started to look frantic while walking passed them and staring at the two.

Farry brought Liam over to an area where a single bed was at and helped him lay Cindy down on it.

Abby walked in shortly after as the two men made sure Cindy was comfortable.

Liam saw a painful worried expression on Farry’s face as he looked his niece over. He then saw it harden before looking at Liam and asked, “What happened?”

Liam told him about the events inside the Goblin Forest. He left out the part of Larix’s Illusion spell deactivating revealing he was a Demon-kin. He wasn’t sure if he should talk about the Zombified Hobgoblin, so he just told him about the Diseased Feeble Forest Goblins.

Farry listened to Liam and didn’t say a word as his expression stayed neutral with everything that was said. Abby, on the other hand, grew mortified and scared as she switched from looking at Liam to Cindy and back to Liam.

After Liam finished telling them of what had happened, Farry let out a long held breath of air he was holding as he closed his eyes. He then opened them and looked at Cindy with a thankful look as he said, “Thank you for doing what you could for my niece. It must have been scary and tough for you guys, but I’m glad you didn’t leave her for dead or let her die.”

Liam felt his body start to relax as he listened to Farry. He wasn’t sure how the man would react. He wasn’t sure if he would be blamed or hated.

However, that feeling was soon replaced as Farry switched his soft thankful expression on Cindy to a harden serious one towards Liam. “I want you to understand that what I’m about to say is due to emotions running high, but I don’t think you should stick around here for long. I thought it strange to receive a cease and desist letter on any items made by you from an unknown sender.”

“What?” Liam asked, feeling his heart tighten as he took on Farry’s gaze.

“I thought it to be a childish threat from someone who wanted to have the items you made for their use only,” Farry continued. “However, after seeing my niece in this condition and hearing what you went through…It only further shows that it is not a threat without consequences. I don’t want any harm…anymore harm done to those I love.”

Liam stared at the man. His eyes, as hard and resolved as they looked, looked like they belonged to one who was backed into a corner. Liam could understand them. If push came to shove this man would do what he needed to in order to make sure his loved ones were safe.

“I am sorry, but if protecting these girls from any more harm means that I need to have you stop selling and making any of those potions and Medicinal Creation items here, then this is where we stop,” Farry stated. “All stock is on the table in the front of the shop. Come back in a few days and I’ll have the money from the ones that were sold already for you.”

Liam’s heart sank as he heard this. He looked at Abby who turned her head away from Liam as tears started to run down her face. Liam’s body slumped a bit. This was familiar to him. Familiar in a way he thought he wouldn’t ever have to see or be in, however, life had a way to test him.

This situation, the events that happened, the words being said. Even though they were in a different place and said differently, he knew this situation very well. The only difference was, he was a different person. He had learned from his previous experience and wouldn’t act the way he did last time.

He understood what Farry was saying. He wouldn’t fight him or tell him that it would be alright. That he would figure something out. He hardly knew this family and they hardly knew him. It wasn’t right to have all this trouble knocking on their door. Things might have turned out okay this time, but what about the next?

Cindy almost lost her life, and he couldn’t blame it on the monsters. If there were more followers of the Seven Immoral Vices around then there was a chance they could do a lot more damage just to get at him.

Liam took a gulp before accepting the reality going on in front of him. He felt frustrated, mad even…but he couldn’t blame this man for wanting to protect his nieces. Nor could he blame them for cutting their ties with him.

Liam took a deep breath in and slowly let it out as he thought, Its probably for the best. He then looked at the man and said with as much resolve as he could, “I understand.” He knew he was kidding himself as he heard his voice. He could hear the sadness that lingered in it. He was just thankful that Farry didn’t call him out on it.

Liam turned around and made his way towards the store area of the building. He didn’t waste time as he quickly took all of the items he had produced and placed them inside his inventory. After he was done with that he unlocked the door and quietly walked out.

Liam walked quietly as he made his way to the inn he was staying at. The sun was almost down by the time he had arrived at the building. He heard the whispers that circled around him as he walked. He knew that he probably looked like a mess, but he didn’t care. He just wanted to take a shower and go to sleep.

However, just like his luck had been all day, after entering the inn he made his way to the stairs but was stopped before he could go up.

“Um, sir…,” a voice called out to him.

Liam slowly turned and looked at the owner of the voice and saw it was a female receptionist.

“Yes?” Liam replied back.

“I’m sorry, but you cant go up there unless you are a guest here or know a guest,” she stated as she stared at him.

Liam raised a brow as he slowly made his way over to her. After getting to the desk he said with an irritated tone, “I am a guest here. I have room two zero three on the second floor. It should be under Liam.”

Looking a bit skeptical, the lady looked over her papers. After finding what she needed, she looked back at him with a confused expression as she informed, “I’m sorry, but that room is no longer available and has been locked.”

Liam was taken aback by this. What does she mean? No longer available and locked? He looked at her like she had just told the worst joke ever and asked, “What do you mean?”

“We were informed earlier that the person, you, had died in an accident in the dungeon,” the lady explained. “In that sense the person who had paid for the remaining days for the room had was paid back the money used. That room is no longer available for you to use.”

“What?” Liam muttered as his mind started to whirl.

Died in an accident? Paid back the money used for the room to the person who paid? How? Why? Who would go around telling people this? Why would they… Liam thought as he was starting sink in his own mind.

Liam. This inn is no longer safe. I can’t see who, but there is someone coming or nearby and they don’t feel like a friendly person. Eri suddenly warned. You need to leave now!

Feeling the urgency in Eri’s words, Liam looked back at the woman and said, “Thank you and I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Liam didn’t wait to hear what the woman had to say, instead he made his way as quickly as he could for the door. After exiting the building, Liam made a sharp turn towards the side of the building. Whatever it was Eri had sense, Liam was now able to feel it. It was a powerful aura that locked onto him.

There were too many people walking about on the street, making it hard for him to try and pinpoint where it was coming from. He knew he wasn’t fast enough to get away from whoever that aura belonged to so he decided he wasn’t going to try and sprint as fast as he could. Instead, he would use the only method he could use to get away.

As soon as he reached the corner of the building, he turned into the alley and used Veil of Shadow. As soon as he felt that his whole body was covered in shadows, he slowly moved out of the alleyway and into the streets.

He didn’t want to wait and hide using that ability since he wasn’t sure how powerful the person or people were. He didn’t know if they had a way to peer through his stealth ability and didn’t want to find out.

After making his way as far as he could from the area, he felt the aura had vanished. He believed he had gotten away, but didn’t deactivate the ability. Instead, he kept it up as he thought about the only place he could go to. Even though he was exhausted and tired as all hell, Liam pushed on.

It took him another hour and a half to make it to the area he used to meet up with someone he was gradually becoming friendly with. Someone he was starting to feel like was another mentor to him. Someone, who was insistent on his behalf, that he called uncle.

After seeing the make shift outdoor cooking area, Liam felt relief flood him as he finally made it next to the fire. Naro must have sensed him coming because he was already looking in the direction that he was coming from.

“I don’t know why you feel the need to try and stealth your way over here, but you should know you are always welco…,” Naro started to say until Liam deactivated his Veil of Shadow and he got a good look at him.

Naro’s eyes widened as he looked worried and concerned.

Liam wasn’t sure why, but as soon as he saw the man, he felt all the tension and adrenaline that had kept him moving suddenly vanish. Before he or Liam could say anything, Liam felt himself lose control of his legs as he started to fall over while his eyes closed, losing all consciousness.

 

 


Author's Note:

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I wont be posting a chapter on Saturday. I will be away from my computer till Sunday evening due to a family event. I hope you all enjoy the chapter this is posted today and i hope you all look forward to Mondays chapter.

 

1