Adventure 178 – Let’s make a Deal
69 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liam stared at the notification. Excitement and happiness started to fill him as he was glad that it had finally decreased. However, those feelings were pushed away as memories of the ambush and the fight flashed before his eyes.

His lip slightly curved into a scowl as he thought, Is this notification mocking me? After all that earlier. All those gains I just received…it still wants to remind me that I’m not at a hundred percent yet…

Liam let out a long breath and closed his eyes. As he released the air held, he relaxed his body and tried to push the anger that was starting to cloud his judgement. Naro was right. He shouldn’t let anger lead him around. Instead, he needed to look at the important things.

First, as much as he hated this debuff, it had showed him areas he needed to improve. Not only that, but it also allowed him to see potential in some of the things he didn’t know he had that he could use in a fight. He was also able to learn and gain new skills and abilities.

Another thing, he was able to see how others really looked at him without him wanting to rush and prove them wrong. He couldn’t say that if he didn’t have this debuff that he would have challenged someone out of irritation just to prove them wrong, but since he had the debuff it made him think more and not resort to any methods that could have proven more harmful than helpful.

Liam shook his head. He could totally see himself challenging that elf to a fight or one of his friends just to try and change their perspective on his capabilities. Instead, he now has a chance to better himself and hone what he has to, to fine tune his fighting style, skills, and abilities so when the time came, he wouldn’t need to prove himself. He would instead show how wrong they were.

Liam nodded. That’s what he needed to do. He didn’t need to prove himself to those who looked down on him. Instead, he needed to focus and work hard to fight beside those who accept him. His mind wandered onto the first few who did that.

He wondered how each of them were doing. If they were doing well and doing what they said they wanted to do. The goals and dreams they had talked about around the firepit in the cave they had defeated Binky, the Albino Crocolisk, in replayed in his mind.

Liam let out a chuckle as he thought about the name while a smile formed on his face.

 “What’s so funny?” Naro asked as he walked up to Liam with a bowl in both hands.

Liam sat up and reached for the bowl of what looked like some sort of steaming soup. After bringing it closer to him, Liam looked at the man while he sat down and said, “I was just thinking about the people who I had teamed up with back in the Tutorial Area.”

“Oh? Were they good company?” Naro asked as he eyed Liam with a smile.

“They each had their quirks, but yes,” Liam started as he looked down at the food. He could see some vegetables and some sort of meat in the broth. “They were great company. I think you would have liked them. Especially Artem.”

“Oh? Who is this Artem and why would you think I would like him specifically?” Naro questioned.

Liam went into a tale about each of his old teammates. He told Naro about what they were like, what races they ended up getting, and the way they had spent time together. Liam ate his food while Naro asked questions. They laughed at the antics Liam spoke about, enjoying the memories.

Liam wasn’t sure if it was the food or talking about his old teammates, but he felt good recounting the memories he made with them. He also realized how much he missed having people who didn’t look down on him. He knew if they were here they would tell him to quit overthinking things. Especially Avery and Mercer. Blair would wait till she couldn’t anymore. Roman would say something stupid and then get hit by Ariyana while Artem would offer some advice.

Liam looked down at his empty bowl with a sadden expression. He really wished they had all ended up at the same location. Maybe if they did they would tell him what he needed to hear or tell his old friends how stupid they were. He didn’t know how they would have reacted to all this, and he never would.

Naro caught the look Liam had. He could understand what the young man was thinking. Long ago he went through the same thing. Not to the same extent, but his team had separated a few times over the years, and he missed them. He would never admit it to them, but he knew the joy and happiness a person could have when being around those he trusted.

“You know,” Naro started as he stared at him. “You could always seek them out and try to form a team again.”

Liam looked at Naro. A look of hope filled him before he let it go. Liam shook his head as he said, “No. They are off doing their own thing. I shouldn’t try and look for them just because of some memories we had made. For all I know that’s just what they are. Good memories of a time we shared back in the Tutorial Area.”

“That’s the most idiotic thing I have ever heard,” Naro suddenly stated with a loud laugh.

Liam frowned at his words. “What do you mean idiotic?”

“What I’m saying is, if you made such great memories and you trust them so much then that’s even more reason why you should search them out. You shouldn’t let something as stupid as for all you know stop you. I mean the exact opposite can be said as well. For all you know they might be trying to find you and the others to continue the fun times you had.”

Liam stared at Naro, that feeling he had just moments ago came back. It wasn’t as strong as it was earlier, but it was there.

“Let me tell you a secret about this world that many come to find out when it is too late,” Naro started back up. Liam stared at him hanging on his words. “Finding those you can make memories with, no matter if they are good or bad, are hard to come by. If they have your back no matter what happens then they are worth seeking out and keeping around. The world is full of bullshit. Don’t let speculations stop you from seeking them out. The worst thing that can happen is they don’t want to be around you anymore. The best outcome, you see the world and make new friends.”

 Liam took in what he was saying. He was right. He wasn’t entirely certain that they would want to team up again, but that also meant he wasn’t entirely sure they didn’t. There was always a chance when it came to someone else. Exploring the world was something he wanted to do as well. So why not take a chance.

Liam nodded as he agreed with Naro. “You’re right,” Liam said as a small smile formed. “Thank you.”

Naro stood up and grabbed the bowl from Liam’s hands as he gave him a warm smile. “There is no need to thank me. The words I passed to you were said to me by someone who I deeply respect.”

Curious, Liam asked as Naro moved the dishes to the small sink attached to his outdoor kitchen set, “Oh? Who is that person?”

Naro let out a small chuckle as he grabbed the warm kettle and pour some tea into two cups. He grabbed them both after setting the kettle down and walked back to his seat. After handing Liam a cup, he replied, “He’s a man who helped me see past my worries. You see, like you, I worried that my path was set in stone. The friends I believed I had left me without a single word. This man saw potential in me and helped me push past the stereotyping many had labeled me as. Thanks to his advice and suggestions not only did I excel at crafting, but I found things that I could tie my crafting to.”

Liam saw Naro look up at the sky. His eyes looked like they were focused on something distant. Maybe something that brought both joy and pain because his face looked pained at first before turning into a soft smile.

“Thanks to his encouragement, not only was I able to find a path that I am proud to have walked on,” Naro continued. “But I was able to seek out and confront those friends to find out why they had left me behind. Granted the answers I had received weren’t what I was hoping for, but I didn’t regret it. As I traveled with that man I had met others he invited to the team, and they accepted me and the path I had chosen to walk. Gradually and through the many adventures I had with them I grew to not only trust them…but create a bond past friendship. They had become a family to me. People who I would lay my life down to not only protect…” He then looked at Liam and added, “But also protect and help those they called family as well.”

  Liam stared at Naro. His words this time round stirred inside him. He had thought that he and his old friends were like that. However, the events today had proven that wasn’t entirely true. Their time here before he had arrived and the time he had spent on Earth after they left changed both them and he.

If that was the case then it was probably best that he had run into the two here now instead of later. He wouldn’t speak for the other two friends because they were their own people, but at least now he had an idea of how they could react. Instead of trying to seek them out he wanted to look for the ones who had accepted him at the beginning with no prior history. They had proven themselves to him and he hoped he had proven himself to them.

“You know, you telling me about your old teammates reminds me of them,” Naro started back up.

“What do you mean?” Liam questioned.

“Well, besides the fact that it sounds like your old teammates sound so close. I guess it’s the fact that you all were different races,” Naro said.

Liam raised a brow. “I don’t understand.”

“I guess you wouldn’t,” Naro laughed. “I guess my wording wasn’t right. What I’m talking about is your team is full of races that no one would ever see in the same team. You said there was a Half Orc, a Kitsune, a Dragon-kin, a Nature Fae, a Crimson Elf, a Tiefling, and you, a Half Human, Half Beast-kin.”

Liam nodded, not sure what he was trying to say.

“Well for starters, Tieflings are part of the Demon-kin race,” Naro started to explain. “They aren’t as bad as the other races in the Demon-kin line, but you still wouldn’t find one in a team with a Nature Fae or any Beast-kins. Next you have a Half Orc, regardless of being half or full Orc, they are usually shunned from most races except for Demon-kins or Demi-humans who look similar to them. Next is the Dragon-kin. While they are technically a Beast-kin, their race is as prideful as the Crimson Elves and are usually never seen with their ‘Lesser’ race cousins. Kitsunes tend to be too hard headed at times and mischievous, so most groups tend to avoid them entirely. The Crimson Elves…They are something else. They tend to be as secretive as they are proud. You don’t usually see them in a group that isn’t of their own race. You don’t even see them with the other kind of Elves.”

Liam’s eyes widened. He knew he was ignorant of the world, but he didn’t really know how absurdly ignorant he was. He then thought back at Adva’s and Phorge’s reactions when they came out of the fourth floor. They had been surprised when they had seen them.

Maybe that’s why they were shocked. Adding in me being a Cait Sith, I guess our group really did look strange. Liam thought. He then looked at Naro and asked, “So what you’re saying is that a group like ours is an oddity?”

Naro nodded. “Really its unheard of to many. If those of the same races as your old teammates saw this then they would either scoff and look down on each of you as if you’re some bug or they would try and convince you to separate.”

Liam frowned. “That’s stupid.”

“And I agree,” Naro smiled. “However, every now and then you’ll find a group who doesn’t care. Like the team I’m from. We’re all from different races and we couldn’t care less what others think. We even have a party name, one where the naysayers are afraid whenever they hear it.”

This caught Liam’s attention. Filled with curiosity, Liam quickly asked, “What’s your party name?”

Naro gave Liam a wry smile as he asked, “Caught your interest didn’t I?” He then made a faux look of contemplation as he brought a hand to his chin and closed his eyes. “Hm…I’m not sure if I should tell you.”

“Aw come on. Tell me please,” Liam asked as curiosity kept growing in him.

Naro smiled again as he said, “Let’s make a deal. If you agree to a few things and complete what I ask of you I will tell you. But only when you have completed them.”

Liam frowned as he eyed the bear of a man. He didn’t feel anything nefarious from the man’s words, but even he knew that sometimes the ones who were friendly could be snakes.

“Let me hear the terms first before I give you an answer,” Liam said cautiously.

Naro let out a loud hearty laugh. “You’re cautious. Good. Never agree to anything right off the bat. Always get the terms and think it over before answering. The terms aren’t too bad though. I’ve grown to like you. You’re a hard worker when it comes to crafting, so I want to take you as an apprentice.”

Liam looked at the man. The term wasn’t anything too bad, but he already had two mentors. Galin for Alchemy and Fia for Blacksmithing. He didn’t want to betray them by having someone else teaching in those. Sure, there were other crafts he wanted to learn, but he wasn’t sure if this man knew them let alone would train him in those.

He could have him teach him more in the Chef Craft, but it wasn’t something he was going to fully pursue. He felt the craft was more a hobby and a way to relax. Sure, he had some ideas of how he could use the Butcher section as well as the skill that came with it and the Food Handling section seemed like it could help gather materials for Poison crafting, but that’s where his interest in the craft ended.

Liam let out a sigh. “You have helped me shore up some of my mistakes in both Alchemy and Blacksmithing during these past couple of days and I’m grateful. However, I will have to humbly refuse asking you to teach me in those out of respect for my mentors that I already have in those crafts. I do not want to betray their trust. I must also decline asking you to be my mentor in the Chef craft because I feel that it is something I am slowly growing as a hobby than a pursuit. If anything, I would like to ask you to take in a friend of mine in that craft instead.”

Naro raised a brow at Liam’s response. A wide and amused grin grew as he laughed once more. “Your loyalty to your Crafting Mentors, who are nowhere near you, is really admirable. Adding to the fact that you are trying to create an in for a friend you are not entirely sure will rejoin you is also a great thing. However, you are misunderstanding. No, I wasn’t talking about mentoring you in those three crafts.”

Liam raised a brow. If he wasn’t talking about those crafts then does he mean…

“I noticed you have a Knowledge Theory book called Beginner’s Guide to Understanding Runes and I remember you once saying that you had the Enchanting Craft,” Naro started back up. “I would like to mentor you in both. I would also like to help you with understanding how to utilize your crafting skills and abilities in battle. I believe since I, too, started with the Crafter starting class that I should be adequate enough to mentor you there.”

Liam’s eyes widened. It was true he had that book, and he had the Enchanting Craft thanks to Fia having him place the enchants onto his daggers. He was really interested in learning both and the prospect of learning more about what he could do with his crafting skills and abilities was really tempting. However, the look in Naro’s face told him there was more.

“Ah, I want to clarify something really fast. Becoming my apprentice in these aspects are not part of the terms I wish to give,” Naro said. “You can think of them as an added bonus. The terms I would like to give you are you come with me when I leave this place after I finish my business here. Where we go when we leave will be wherever your friends are. I want you to find them and see if they want to join you as a party once more.”

Liam stared at him once more. The terms weren’t bad, but they seemed a bit odd just to learn the name of a party. Why go to such lengths to learn something so simple.

Not entirely sure Liam sent a thought to the one person he felt he could trust for advice. What do you think Eri? Does it seem fishy?

“It does sound fishy…but I think you have more to gain accepting than refusing. Worst case scenario he has some evil ulterior motive which I will be able to see and warn you before he could do anything. Best case…he’s sincere and really wants to help you. I say accept. – Eri.”

Liam thought about it. He mulled it over for a while before finally deciding. “Alright. I’ll accept your terms. What business do you need to conclude? Is it something I can help with?”

Naro shook his head. “No, it’s something my leader had asked me to look into and it is probably best you don’t help. Too much bullshit politics are involved.”

Liam was repulsed at the thought of politics, even if this was a different world, he felt like he wanted no part of it. He then nodded and said, “Alright. Then I will focus on somethings I need to take care of myself and try to get it done before you are ready to set out.”

“Sounds good,” Naro said before reaching into his inventory and pulling out a book. “For now, before I teach you anything, I want you to study up on the Knowledge Theory on both Rune Crafting and Enchanting.”

Liam grabbed the book and read the title, “The Ins and outs of Enchanting.”

 


“The Ins and Outs of Enchanting. Contains Knowledge Theory – Enchanting. Item Type – Knowledge Theory. Item Rarity – Common. Item Quality – Average. Description – This book contains the beginning Knowledge Theory of Enchanting. Does not contain Advanced or Master Level Knowledge Theory on Enchanting. Reader has the chance to gain the Knowledge Theory – Magical Enchants. Note – Book contains list of materials to use when practicing low level enchants.”


 

“I would like you to gain as much Knowledge Theory as you can these next couple of days so make sure you read both books. Also…,” Naro started. “With everything that has gone on around you. You should probably get a room at a random inn and switch to a new each night. Do not use those inns to sleep in though. You’ll be using this campsite as a base of operations for now and use a pseudo-name when checking in.”

Confused, Liam asked, “Why do I need to get a room if I’m not going to sleep in it?”

Naro raised a brow as he looked at him. Then with a straight face he replied, “So you can shower. I hope you don’t think that there are ways to shower out here in the forest. At least you do not have the means to have a way yet. Once when you have formed a proper party I will bring you to a very special place where you can get the chance to gain an item that will be very beneficial to you.”

Liam’s eyes lit up at that. “What item is that?”

Naro laughed. “I’m not going to tell you right now. I will only tell you after you get your other teammates.”

Liam pouted as he said, “Fine.” He then looked at the book in his hands and added, “I guess I’ll do some reading before I get some more sleep.”

“That is a good idea,” Naro said as he got up. “I’m going to do some cleaning then we can go over some things I want you to practice.”

Liam nodded as he smiled before opening the book and started reading.

Naro took a quick peek at Liam and watched as he dove right into the book he had given him. One of the things he really liked about the young man was his willingness to learn. He looked forward to what he would make and experience as he grew.

The thought slowed turned the smile he had on his face into a deep frown as it brought him back to the conversation he had with him. He turned his face away so Liam wouldn’t see it. The things he experienced back to back earlier were not normal. The ambush caused by some Beast-kin Noble, if it was one of those assholes, was normal. But having to defend himself against a Demon-kin who was disguising himself as a Beast-kin, and an Oni to boot…That was where things started to go past the line of normalcy.

He knew the boy wouldn’t understand or know the implications that meant, but there was a high chance that guy was one of those crazy cultist nutjobs. A follower of the Seven Immoral Vices. Like ants, if there was one then there were surely more. However, that would imply that someone has been hiding them.

Naro had a feeling who they were hired by, but he needed to be sure. He also needed to make sure that those with him weren’t also Followers in disguise as well. If they were, then who has been letting them slip pass security. He knew Fred wouldn’t let a single one of those guys in due to his insane hatred for what they had done to his family. That should be the case for all of the Beast-kins. However, he knew that some people were blinded by greed, lust, and other motives.

The list of those who could be up to something was long. However, now he had a new lead to go by. That undead creature appearing in a Green Dungeon. There were cases of it happening before, although exceptionally rare. There were methods in doing so. One would be a concoction being made, but the knowledge to be able to do it was exceeding rare to make them. The materials equally so. Another would be certain monsters finding their way into the dungeon. Many don’t know this, but just like how adventurers can go into a dungeon, monsters or creatures can as well. He didn’t know how it was possible, but there have been reports of it happening.

If that was what happened then the next question would be which monster was it. Each monster that could produce that venom was different. They had different purposes for using it as well. One purpose was it helped weaken their prey so they could drain them of their blood to use as a food source and ways to grow stronger. The monster who uses this method doesn’t really care for the creature reawakening as undead and just leaves them.

Another uses this method to try and create territory in the dungeon. By making undead monsters through their venom they can get minions who can protect them as they grow in power and claim their spot in the dungeon. This generally changes the nature of the dungeon and will make it a multi-color dungeon. However, since the green dungeon has remained a green dungeon this monster was unlikely.

The last monster he could think of was one he didn’t want to consider. The monster was a Hive type monster where it had one King or Queen that would use its lower minions to spread out and spread their poison onto other creatures. It was one that used its venom to plant eggs into other monsters to use as a breeding ground. Those monsters unfortunately carrying the venom and died would turn into Undead monsters. After the eggs hatched the monsters would feed on the creature from the inside till it reached the outside. However, not all monsters would be used as food. Some of the turned Undead would be used as puppets for special creatures that could control the Undead’s brain. It was truly a horrific sight.

He would have to wait and hear if anyone has spotted any undead creatures in different dungeons. The flaw in thinking it was this monster though was it would require a Black Dungeon to be active. Not only that, but a Break would have had to occur to let the minions roam about to enter the dungeons. Since there has been no reports of either of the two then he had to write this one off.

Naro let out a sigh. His leader was right on the money that something strange was happening around here. How or where he gets his information from was still a mystery to this day. It was one of the reasons why he trusted him. The information he got and focused on was never wrong…At least it hasn’t been wrong for quite a while now.

Whatever new changes this new wave of Arrivals brought with them…it doesn’t look like it will be trivial at all. Naro thought as he let out a sigh. Oh well, I’ll get back to work on it after I make a visit to an old friend and take care of something else. For if there is something I hate more than politics it’s when my apprentices are targeted and treated like playthings.

1