Adventure 182 – Lady Arachne
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The intense pressure Liam had felt suddenly disappeared as Liam fixed his attention on the newcomer who had entered the room from the door on the left behind the desk. Liam wasn’t able to gleam much details on this newcomer besides that she wasn’t very tall and she gave a very refined aura as she looked outwards towards them. Her head and half of her chest was visible from where Liam stood.

The amount that he was able to see was that she had slicked back long hair that fell down her back. Streaks of red were mixed with black. Over her forehead, eyes, and nose was a black mask that resembled a spider’s head. The fangs of the spider curved down and rested next to the corners of her ruby red thin lips.

Liam wasn’t sure if the eye holes of the mask were covered since all he could see through them were pitch blackness, but at the same time he wasn’t able to see any lenses or covers. A shiver ran down his spine as he thought about the possibility of that being her actual eye color. Her shoulders and the parts of her arms he was able to see were bare, besides a thin strap that ran over her shoulders on both sides of the base of her neck.

The lack of clothing here showed off how pale her skin was. Even though her skin looked pale, it wasn’t a sickly pale color. Instead, to Liam it looked like her skin was blessed and kissed by the moon. It gave her an otherworldly beauty to her.

Is that her natural skin color or is that makeup? Liam thought as he kept his gaze on her.

Liam was brought out of his thoughts as he noticed the demeanor of the two beside him suddenly change as they swiftly moved to stand side by side each other away from Liam and then bowed to the lady and said in unison, “Lady Arachne.”

This, Lady Arachne, didn’t say anything as they bowed and greeted her. Instead, she slowly and graciously walked around the desk and towards them. Liam could hear the sound of a light tapping with each step she took. After she made her way from behind the desk and stood in front of the man and woman, Liam was able to see her in full detail.

She stood much shorter than the two and was barely shorter than he was. She was slim with slight curves that her black silky high slit spaghetti strap dress helped bring out. Liam was amazed by the design of her dress as he got a good look at it.

White spider web design running down the dress with star-like specks in between each web string. The dress opened up at the top of the right thigh revealing a gladiator style laced Stiletto boot that ran up to her knee. Covering up her hands and running up to her elbows, that were clasped together around her stomach, were a delicate and silky pair of black gloves made from a material Liam was unsure of.

She looked beautiful to Liam. Especially since her dress, shoes, and gloves really complimented her moon kissed skin tone.  

As he admired her beauty, he noticed something about her dress. What he originally thought was thin spaghetti straps were actually not straps, but were actually thin short spider legs that were used as straps. Another two longer spider legs wrapped around from her back, curving and resting underneath her B or C cup breasts, acting like support. Another pair of smooth black spider legs wrapped around her waist like a belt.

Liam wasn’t sure if they were a part of the dress like some fashion statement or if they were real and a part of her due to how realistic they looked. They didn’t twitch or move, but you never know with how things have been so far in this world.

She slightly bowed her head to them and said with a clam and serene voice, “Tranquil Noxitanous. Tantalizing Orchid. I believe I have spoken to you both plenty of times about proper etiquette when we have possible candidates.”

Both Noxi and the pink clothes woman tensed at this woman’s words.

“We apologize Lady Arachne,” they swiftly replied while continuing to bow.

Lady Arachne slowly turned her gaze from one to the other before looking past them and straight at Liam. As her gaze fell upon him, he felt a shiver run down his spine.

She took a step forward without saying anything. Both Noxi and the pink clothed woman cautiously and slowly parted to give the woman some room between them. Lady Arachne stopped after taking a couple of steps in front of them. With an elegant and graceful motion, she moved her hands away and twitched them in a manner that told the two that they could be at ease before resting back into the position she had them before.

Noxi and Tantalizing Orchid straightened their posture and took a few steps away. After they stopped moving, they joined the lady in looking straight at Liam. Liam felt uncomfortable as they stared at him. He wasn’t sure what they were planning or what would happen next, so he waited.

After a few seconds of silence, Lady Arachne finally broke the silence as she asked with a skeptical tone, “Is it true? Are you truly an apprentice of the Wild Card?”

Liam stared at her. As calmly as he could he replied, “Yes I am.”

Lady Arachne tilted her head, looking like she was contemplating something.

He was about to say something else, but then stopped as he felt his skin start to form goosebumps as the hair on the back of his neck stood up. Not soon after that, his Danger Sense suddenly flared up around the middle of his right rib cage.

As swiftly as he could, Liam pulled his dagger out of his sheath to deflect the strike that came as soon as he got it into place. Liam felt the force of the blow push into him. Instead of trying to stand his ground, Liam used the momentum to spin him around. As he spun around, he brought his hand with his dagger up to the height of Lady Arachne’s head.

However, he didn’t commit with the attack as he felt his Danger Sense flare up once more around where his wrist was. He released his grip on the weapon and with as much speed and strength as he could call upon, he stomped his foot down and spun around in the opposite direction while pulling out two of his throwing daggers and spinning them up towards her chin.

With ease and grace, all three daggers were suddenly and forcefully slapped away with the spider legs that were resting under her breasts. However, these daggers weren’t meant to attack her. They were just a distraction.

Without flinching or moving an inch, Lady Arachne focused the legs she used to deflect the weapons towards Liam, however she stopped as she realized he wasn’t in front of her anymore. She felt the tip of a dagger close to the back of her neck and nodded. She knew what he had just done and was slightly impressed he had the courage to try it.

Not many would dare get behind one of her kind unless they had a plan that would successfully get pass her defenses. She thought that he had one, but after hearing the change in his breathing and feeling the angle of the dagger, she now knew he didn’t know anything about her race and his move was one made with naivety. She knew his focus wasn’t on where he should strike, but rather on the eight spider legs that were attached to her back.

She saw the look he gave her earlier when he was checking her out and thought that maybe he knew about them. However, now she understood she was wrong and that look he had earlier was one of contemplation instead of one of knowing.

Understanding that he was someone who truly lack knowledge on the many races that existed in this world and what she would need him to start learning if he passed the other tests, she slowly raised her hands up and ended her very first test of him.

Liam slowly turned his wide eyes from the eight smooth black widow-like spider legs that protruded from the back of her dress to her raised normal hands. He realized that his sudden surprise from seeing these legs caused him to lose focus on the person and could have gotten him killed for that mistake.

“I give,” Lady Arachne stated. “I will not attack you so please come back around.”

Slowly and cautiously, Liam gave her a wide berth and walked around to face her. He gave her enough distance that he believed would be out of the spider legs’ reach, but not too far that would cause disrespect.

“You adapt as you learn,” Lady Arachne started. “That’s good. You have no worries about me attacking you again. You can think of it as your first test…” She then wrapped her right arm right above where two of her other legs had rested along her stomach like a belt while bringing her left hand up and tapped her cheek. “As well as a personal test to see if you really were trained by that man.”

Confused, Liam asked, “What do you mean by if I really were trained by that man?”

A small smile appeared on her face as she answered, “You see there are many people who are members in our Association. They are trained in certain ways and have certain specialties. However, not many focus on the basic weapon arts. They don’t rely on refining their basics to a point where it could be considered mastered.”

Liam stared at her. He wasn’t sure where she was going with this but didn’t say anything and continued to listen.

“The Wild Card is one who many consider to be…obsessed with mastering everything. Especially the basics,” she continued. “I know you haven’t fully mastered the most basic dagger weapon art, Back Stab. However, I can see how defined the technique is when you used it on me. The movements you made while executing it. The opportunity you took when given the right moment to use it. To get to that the level when used would need someone well versed in the Weapon Art and the only one I know that well verse in the basics is none other than the Wild Card himself.”

Liam was amazed by the feedback. He was happy to hear how respected his Dagger Mentor was. However, after hearing her speak about this he knew he still had a long ways to go before he could use it on anyone who was higher level than he. If she was able to see his movements and give that kind of feedback then that only means she had no problem stopping him whenever she felt like it.

“I appreciate the words of praise, but I know I still have a long ways to go before I can consider it very effective,” Liam stated. “After listening to you I can tell that at any part of that exchange you could have killed me without any chance of me knowing what happened.”

Lady Arachne smiled approvingly. “Humility and understanding you have a long ways to go. Those are two other traits that tell me you really are that man’s apprentice. Please, let me see the earrings.”

Liam complied as he cupped both of his ears to allow the dagger earrings to be seen.

Lady Arachne took a couple of steps closer to him and leaned in to get a better look at the accessories. She assessed them and read the description, giving her even more proof that this young man wasn’t lying.

Lady Arachne nodded as she straightened her posture. She then said with an approving tone of voice, “Those are the real deal alright. How exciting that the first ever apprentice to the Wild Card is applying to our branch. This is truly a great day. Pray tell, is your master here in the city?”

Liam gave her a confused look before shaking his head. “No, he and I were separated when I came out from the Tutorial Area. I don’t know where he is exactly.”

Lady Arachne pouted as she listened to Liam. That pout then changed to a confused then to a curious one as she asked, “If you’re here after coming out of the Tutorial Area then that means you’re a Beast-kin.” She didn’t say it as a question, but rather in a way where she was trying to understand something. “Judging by the ears from your hood and the tail you must be a Cat-folk.”

Liam watched as an excited smile formed from her lips as she clapped her hands and exclaimed, “This makes it even better. To think he would have a Beast-kin become his apprentice instead of a regular human. I can’t wait to see the looks on those haughty humans’ faces much less the other Web Leaders when they come to hear about this. Now we have something over them.”

Liam didn’t want to correct her on what she was muttering to herself. They might have respect for his Mentor, but he didn’t know anything about them nor they of him. From what both Nabal and Eri had said about not giving away his name, he had some suspicions that he shouldn’t give away too much information about himself. So, he would let her believe what she saw.

 “Um…I’m sorry if I sound rude asking this, but who exactly are you?” Liam asked as curiosity filled him.

Lady Arachne turned her focus back on him as she muttered, “Huh? Oh! I am sorry. I am the Web Leader of this branch of the Fiddler’s Spider Web. My Web Name is Lady Arachne.” She gave Liam a graceful curtsey as she fully introduced herself.

“Second leg of this Fiddler’s Spider Web branch and poison specialist, Tranquil Noxitanous,” Noxi introduced as he bowed.

“Tantalizing Orchid. Fifth Leg of this branch and Seduction and Information Gathering Specialist. While we’re within the Association you can call me Orchid,” Tantalizing Orchid curtseyed.

Liam returned her curtsey with a slight bow of his own as he said, “It is a pleasure to meet you.” As he straightened his posture he asked, “Um, second and fifth leg?”

The three people gave Liam a confused look.

“Did the Wild Card not explain everything about the Association?” Lady Arachne inquired.

“Kind of. He explained a little bit about this Association in a letter he left me, but didn’t fully tell me everything,” Liam stated. “He explained that the Association deals with stealing, reconnaissance, protecting, and assassinations. That there was plenty of work that could help me hone my skills and abilities and that I could sell and buy materials or items that would not make it to normal market places. He also said that after I take a test I would gain a Web Name?”

Lady Arachne nodded as she listened. “Okay so you have less than basic knowledge. Alright, let’s start there. First of all, when you hear someone say they are a certain number leg they are talking about what their rank is for the branch they are working at. For example, I am the Web Leader here at this branch making me first leg.”

Liam nodded as he understood what she was saying.

“There are a total of eight legs and each leg has a certain specialty in the Association,” Lady Arachne continued. “We do have a market place here. It is located through one of the doors here. The person running it is the Third Leg who specializes in Sabotages, especially if it involves Merchantry. Our fourth, sixth, seventh and eighth are currently on missions elsewhere at the moment.”

“You have a market in one of the rooms here?” Liam asked with a raised brow. He then looked around the room they stood in. The doors weren’t spread out far between each other. He wasn’t sure if she was messing with him or if there was something else going on. So instead of making guesses he decided to ask, “How? Is it small? It doesn’t look like you’d have enough room for one let alone for many other things.”

Orchid let out a snicker while Noxi shook his head.

Lady Arachne gave Liam a patient smile as she said, “You truly are new to our world. I’m surprised you actually made it down here seeing how fresh you are. You do not have to worry about size being an issue. The area we are in is what many like to call a sub-space created through the wonderful works of crafting and magic. Since your mind is fresh and so young to the magic I will not divulge the process further. Just know each door will lead you to an area that belies what you see on this side of the door.”

Liam frowned. This was the second time someone refused to tell him what type of magic was involved. However, he did get something new to fuel his curiosity and that was she said crafting was tied into it. A goofy grin slowly formed under his mask. If crafting was involved then he would learn what this was eventually.

Lady Arachne stared at him and must have noticed he was grinning since she asked, “Do you find something amusing?”

Liam snapped out of his thoughts and felt a bit embarrassed. “I’m sorry. Since I’ve come to this world I have come to find out that I have a passion for crafting. Since you mentioned crafting was involved in creating this sub-space I kind of got lost in my thoughts thinking about what aspect of crafting was involved.”

Noxi and Lady Arachne looked surprised at Liam’s explanation.

“Oh, you like to craft? What craft are you currently focusing on?” Lady Arachne questioned.

“My highest Production Crafts currently is Alchemy, but my Blacksmithing isn’t that far behind. I have dabbled in Tailoring, but haven’t made that much progress. I’m learning the Chef Craft as well, but more as a hobby. I have also started learning Rune Crafting and Enchanting, but I’ve only started learning the Knowledge Theories,” Liam informed.

Lady Arachne, Noxi, and Orchid looked shocked at what he had just said.

Feeling a bit uncomfortable, Liam asked, “Is that a problem?”

“No. Not at all,” Lady Arachne stated. “I think we were just surprised to hear that the Wild Card’s apprentice has taken on so much so early. Especially the Rune Crafting and Enchanting part. Those require specific magical training that takes new arrivals a while to get under control like Mana Manipulation and Mana Control.”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that. I have been practicing that for a good while now,” Liam stated as he focused on the daggers that were both on the floor and in the wall behind him. He willed his mana over to them and pulled all three over. As they approached him he swiftly grabbed his Lunar Blade with his left hand while catching his two throwing daggers with his right.

A soft smile grew on Lady Arachne’s face as she stated, “Looks like you have been practicing the basics. It’s not the best, but it does look like you’re getting a good handle on it. I believe soon you won’t have to worry about having to catch them with your hands.”

Liam nodded. Appreciating the praise as he sheathed them.

As he sheathed the daggers a couple of chime sounds suddenly echoed in his mind. He swiftly minimized the notifications as they appeared, telling himself he’ll need to check it out once he left.

“I am quite excited to see how you will do in the tests you have to do in order to gain a Web name even more now. Can I safely assume you use certain Alchemy aspects in your arsenal?” Lady Arachne asked as she took on a thinking posture.

Liam rubbed the back of his head as he said, a little embarrassed, “I have used a few items recently. I am slowly coming to understand the perks of using certain Alchemy aspects in battle. Especially the Chemicalized Creation section of Alchemy.”

“Good to know,” Lady Arachne stated. “We have a couple of Alchemy rooms you can use to help you practice or prepare. We even have a room for both Poison Crafting and Chemicalized Creations. Of course, there’s a fee you have to pay after becoming an official member, but it is free while you prepare for your tests.”

  Feeling a bit excited hearing about the Alchemy room, Liam was about to ask to use them immediately. However, he stopped himself as at the word tests. He still needed to do these tests, but he had no clue what they entailed. “What are the tests I need to do?”

“You already did one with me,” Lady Arachne stated. “The others are different. One will test your ability to steal, survive, and killing. The last test is a field mission, and the results will in turn help determine what your Web Name will be. Each Test is not set. You can take them when you feel ready. However, you can not take the Field Mission test until you have taken the others. The first few tests are there for us to get a better understanding of your capabilities so we can determine what field mission we can give you.”

Liam nodded. “Sounds understandable.”

“That being said, would you like to take one of them now or would you like to wait?” Lady Arachne questioned.

Liam was about to respond to wanting to take one now but stopped as Eri chimed in.

 


“Do not take one right now. You need to replenish your Spirit Pool before it reaches zero again. Instead, take some time to get some materials then use the Alchemy room to make some items to help you out. I have some ideas you might like, but you need to get some materials first. – Eri.”


 

Liam thought over what Eri had said. He took a good look at his Spirit Pool and noticed it was at fifty out of two hundred. This confused him. He could have sworn it was at one hundred and fifty before he came in. There was some things he needed to confirm after he left. Leaving those thoughts to the side he had to agree with Eri. He needed to get more Flawed Soul Orbs. Also, the prospects of making something Eri thought he would need caught his interest.

He looked at Lady Arachne and said, “I think it would be wise to prepare myself for these tests. And since I have no clue what each one will have me do I believe I need to go out and get some materials in order to make some items that could possibly help my chances of success.”

Lady Arachne smiled at his answer. “That is an acceptable answer. An acceptable answer that helped you pass a test.”

Liam raised a brow looking a bit confused.

“One of the tests is split into two separate tests. That is survivability,” Lady Arachne stated. “The first part of the test is to see if an applicant is one who rushes or will take the time to prepare for the unknown. You would not believe how many choose to rush into a mission without actually taking the time to prepare for chances they did not see coming. Being unprepared leads them to being captured by enemies or our competition, or it can lead them to their deaths. So, hearing you say that you want to take some time to make some items to help your chances of success has already brought you success to one of the tests.”

Liam was shocked to hear that. He had thought about just trying to get it done but was already leaning on asking to use the rooms to make some items. When Eri had sent him the message he was glad that she had suggested what he was already thinking, but also reminded him about his Spirit Pool. Thanks to Eri’s suggestion and advice it did help him to make this decision and in turn it was the right choice.

“Go on and get what you need. We will be here waiting for you,” Lady Arachne stated as she pointed to the door behind him.

 Liam bowed and turned away from the three. He saw the door he had entered opened up and the view he had seen when he reached this door had returned. He mentally prepared himself for that vertigo-like feeling he had gotten last time and left the room.

After the door closed behind him, Lady Arachne turned to Noxi and Orchid and asked, “Thoughts?”

“He’s a weird one that’s for sure,” Orchid stated. “Who in their right mind would focus on so many crafts so early?”

“Someone who is curious and has a passion for them maybe?” Noxi suggested. “It’s not the first time we’ve had someone solely focused on crafts while working for the Association. Some of those people turn out to be great assassins or saboteurs in the end.”

“That is true,” Orchid nodded. “However, those are the type that aren’t really profound in combat when they end up in sticky situations. And from what I saw during the mock fight with Lady Arachne, he looks to have some combat abilities. Not the greatest, but that might be due to his low level and proficiencies.”

“I agree,” Lady Arachne stated. “I held back as much as I could at the beginning to see how well his reflexes were and I wasn’t disappointed. I think he might have the Danger Sense skill which is a must. However, the way he reacted was definitely not the way I thought he would. Many would try to dodge and then back away. Instead, he used the momentum from the blow, created a diversion with those three daggers, and snuck behind me. Not only that but once he was behind me he understood that he made a mistake.”

 “I’m surprised he was able to even get behind you,” Noxi stated as he looked at the woman. “Even though he did use the Weapon Art ability Back Stab it didn’t look like he was using the proper way.”

Lady Arachne nodded. “I agree. And I think that is because he wasn’t using it as an actual skill. It looked and felt like he was using it from muscle memory.”

Noxi and Orchid stared at her.

“Is that even possible?” Orchid asked.

“I am not sure,” Lady Arachne replied. “However, it is the Wild Card we are talking about. The methods and ways he uses dagger techniques is unorthodox. So, if his apprentice is using a method that we can not truly comprehend yet then it just might be a possibility.”

“It seems like he had found an apprentice that is as much of an oddity like himself,” Orchid commented.

“Or a curious little cat that doesn’t truly understand what they’re getting themselves into,” Lady Arachne stated.

Orchid and Noxi locked eyes with each other. The look in their eyes let them both know they were thinking the same thing.

Lady Arachne turned to look at the door and thought, I look forward to seeing what you are capably of little kitten.

1