Chapter 20
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

With nothing to interest her outside the prison except her visits to New Geneva, and with her feelings for her human growing stronger each day, Valna'a found herself visiting the humans more and more frequently until she was there almost every day. Even on the days Zahra was away.

Initially the humans did not know what to make of her. She was, after all, both a veteran warrior with many raids under her belt, and the second eldest child of the Clan Father. Effectively making her a princess by human standards.

This led to hostility, though a combination of respect for Zahra's leadership and sacrifice and respect for Valna'a's combat prowess had quickly deterred any physical altercations.

Their respect for the princess had come from the one occasion some humans had decided to take out their frustration on her. Five of them jumped her from behind as she watch the door close after Zahra was taken to the torture rooms.

Five of them jumped her. None of them walked away.

She was quick, violent and deadly. By the time most of the room knew anything was going on four of them were unconscious on the floor and the fifth was just succumbing to a sleeper hold that was obviously going to be fatal if Valna'a wanted it to be. 

Turning to Kevin Mantle, she apologised for her reaction.

"Sorry if I damaged them, Kevin. I understand their dislike of me, but I wasn't going to take a beating just to satisfy their anger."

"No problem, princess. And I think the example of your martial prowess will dissuade any further problems." Mantle said in awe at the demonstration, as his mind struggled to play it back at a speed he could process.

Checking on the five and seeing that Valna'a had not actually broken any bones, let alone killed them, he promised himself to never get in a fight with this young elf.

Being free to ignore the guards orders to keep clear of the doors she was always there when Zahra's party returned from their abuse, to support her friend, as she always seemed to be the most injured of the humans. Something else to curse Korsephan for.

The next time the humans were released to their work parties, Zahra was surprised to see a different elf waiting for her, after her back was peeled. This time it was a female who actually didn't look young. She also walked with a slight limp. Something else Zahra had never seen in an elf before.

"06ADH1072?" The elf greeted her.

"Yes, Mistress."

"You are to come with me.  Despite Principae Kal'Va asking for you by name you have been reassigned to work for me."

There was a slight surprise in the elf's voice at the thought of Kal'Va actually liking a member of a lesser race enough to not only know their designation, but to also ask for them to work for him.

"Of course, Mistress." Hoping Valna'a would be able to find her in her new role.

Again a car journey in the windowless transport section of the vehicle. And although she couldn't see out she had got used to the turns involved in getting to the hall, and this journey seemed to be identical.

Zahra, therefore, was both surprised and not surprised to be let out of her confinement in front of the Hall of Klartius again. Wondering if this new elf had replaced her previous boss and that he had requested her for his new role, she followed this unnamed elf into the hall.

As they entered the hall she saw Kal'Va look up from where he was explaining her duties to Brianna Kowalski and nod in her direction.

"At least I don't have to wait for this one to get ready, Zahra." He teased, using her name for the first time.

Zahra almost bumped into her escort, who had stopped, shocked, at Kal'Va being cordial to a 06.

With a nod to the pair Kal'Va went back to explaining the best way to clean the hall to Brianna, while Zahra was escorted through the hall to her new position.

Through the hall, the two of them turned left and walked along a corridor that must have been seven metres wide, by Zahra's estimation, for about twenty metres before stopping in front of an ornate door, flanked by two impassive elves.

"Inside here is the palace proper. You may not speak to anyone without their explicit permission. No one"

"Yes Mistress." Zahra signalled her understanding. "May I know how to address you, Mistress, and what my tasks are?"

"I am Secundus Sal'An. You may call me 'Secundus'. Your tasks are whatever a Person tells you they are.  "

"Yes, Mistress."

With that Sal'An nodded at the doors. Catching on quick Zahra opened the nearest one for her guide, standing aside to let her through. Following behind she quietly closed the door behind her and continued to follow her new boss.

The hall they were now in made the Hall Of Klartius look like a broom cupboard. It was wider, longer, taller and much more ornately decorated. There was also a small team of elvan cleaners working on it.

"The lesser races are not worthy of cleaning this far into the palace." Explained Sal'An. "In fact it is rare to see one at all in here."

With that Sal'An took her further into the palace and up two flights of stairs. Having come down two flights of stairs the last time she had been in the palace Zahra was hopeful she knew where she was going. A hope that was realised when Sal'An indicated she should open a door and it was to Valna'a's suite.

"You will be 'working' for Princess Valna'a." Explained Sal'An, with a smirk at the 'working' part. "But you report to me. I am your manager, she is your customer, for want of a better word.

"Your job is to maintain the princess' rooms. This includes cleaning and laundry, as well as getting her food and drink. I will show you where and how to do that. Except for me, you are not to talk to anybody here unless to answer a direct question.

"You will sleep on the floor, at the foot of her bed, unless she tells you otherwise, and you are to provide for her every whim."

Zahra wasn't sure but was fairly positive that Sal'An was having a laugh at her expense. Especially as she had made it explicitly clear that Zahra was not to speak to Valna'a without permission.

With that Sal'An showed her where the cleaning equipment was as well as the laundry and kitchen, and how they all worked. Then she was left to her own devices to clean the rooms, while she waited for Valna'a to get back.

It seemed that the joke wasn't just on Zahra as it was a week before she was disturbed, in her cleaning, by the princess entering the suite.

Having sensed Valna’a’s arrival Zahra had assumed the docile slave position, with her head bowed, Zahra waited for Valna'a to notice her. Though, apparently the princess was distracted as she didn't seem to realise she wasn't alone.

"By the gods of vengeance, I'll rip Korsan's nuts off and feed them to him if he's had anything to do with this." Zahra heard her mutter to herself. "Now I've got to go find her."

The human smiled to herself as she realised that she was the subject of this little rant but that she was not allowed to bring attention to herself, as per the Secundus' orders.

"That Sal'An is definitely a prankster." She thought to herself as she waited for Valna'a to calm down enough to sense her there. In fact Valna'a was halfway through taking her dusty armour off before she even realised she wasn't alone.

Diving over her bed, grabbing her pistol in the process, Valna'a prepared to fight for her life against whatever threat Korsephan had organised this time. Rolling round the side of the bed, so she didn't reappear at the same place she had disappeared, her pistol was already pointing at the interloper before she realised it was a human female.

A human female, with blood red hair. Her brain realised that only one such would ever be in her room.

"Zahra?"

No answer, or movement.

"Look at me!"

Zahra raised her head to look at her princess.

"Why did you not answer me? Or even let me know you were in the room"

Still no answer. Zahra knew this was a trick being played on Valna'a and was playing along, hoping it was a friendly one.

"Answer me." Valna'a was starting to get frustrated.

"Of course, Mistress." Smiling now. "Secondus Sal'An ordered me to not speak unless directly ordered to. I work for her, serving you."

"What other orders were you given?"

"I'm to sleep at the end of your bed unless ordered otherwise."

"What if I ordered you to sleep in my bed?"

"I would sleep in your bed, Mistress."

"What if I ordered you to sleep wherever you want, in my suite?"

"I would sleep in your bed, Mistress."

"With me?" A nervous hopefulness in her manner

"Of course, Mistress."

"As my lover?" The decorated and fearless warrior was obviously nervous now.

"If you would have me, Mistress." Not as confidently as she meant.

A beautiful smile lit up the elf's face, and it took all of Zahra's will power not to ignore the orders she was still under and leap into Valna'a's arms.

Valna'a was under no such restrictions.

"Prove it."

Later, as the two recovered.

"Sal'An has a lot to answer for, but for now, let's undo her mess. In my suite you are my friend, my companion and my lover. While you are here, this is your home and we are equals. Though you still get to do all the housework."

Zahra laughed at that and tickled her girlfriend in revenge. At which point she learned that she would never be able beat Valna'a in such a contest. Therefore, she cheated.

0