Chapter 24
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"THE COMBATANTS WILL APPROACH THE CLAN FATHER AND ATTEND TO HIM! " Roared the MC bringing the four young women back to reality.

Helping Valna'a and Zahra to their feet, the two medics stepped back, leaving Zahra to support Valna'a. Next to them Korsephan stood up, looking fresher than the women, with only the hole in the front of his armour, and the blood stains around that to show for his wound. The anger on his face, however, was showing his defeat.

"I Demand a rematch, Father!" He shouted up to the throne.

His father ignored him as Strayth'el was brought up, with his leg in a cast and the dagger removed from his shoulder. Propping the lesser elf, none too gently, up next to the prince the other medics retired to stand next to Yslana and Saphie.

"Tell me the results of the first round, Principae G'tan'a. " Ordered Lapice, outrage obvious in his words and posture. 

"My Lord. Round One was won by the Challengers, two - nil. Both by submission. There is no requirement for a second round."

"We demand a rematch! Clan Father."

"Challengers, do you acquiesce?"

Valna'a leaned in towards Zahra and explained their options.

"We can decline, and the results stand. But Korsephan can claim some moral victory. Or we can set the rules of a rematch in our favour and beat him again. At which point he would be a laughing stock."

"I have an idea, leave it to me."

Gathering her thoughts for a second, Zahra replied to Lapice.

"Clan Father, here are our terms:

"First: If they win we will reset the results of the first round and restart the combat again."

This got a cheer from the crowd.

"WE ACCEPT, CLAN FATHER!." Shouted Strayth'el, interrupting Zahra's flow.

"Thank you for accepting our terms, before I vocalised them."

A small laugh went round the crowd.

"Second term: If we win Strayh'el and Korsephan cannot hold any position of power, or have any access to any weapons for the duration of our life." Signalling between herself and Valna'a.

"The combat will be a one on one between the person from our side who was most wounded in the first round against the combatant she has not already beaten in round one.

"Weapons and equipment rules will be as per round one.

"The slaves we have freed will be treated well, and suffer no more injuries."

"Those terms are not designed to give a fair contest."  Interrupted Korsephan.

"You are free to withdraw your acceptance, boy." Replied his father, obviously not happy with his son’s performance. "Not that forcing Valna'a to pair up with a lesser creature against two of our people gave her a fair chance. Those are the terms. Take them or surrender."

"I love you, Zahra. That's evil." Was Valna'a's take on her offer.

"Your team have already agreed to these terms, brother. Fight under them or yield. Again"

"I will fight her, Father."

"That is not in the terms, Korsephan. It's either Strayth'el against Valna'a or you must concede defeat."

"I can beat her, my Prince."

Trapped, Korsephan had no choice.

"We agree to the terms, Clan Father."

"Same time tomorrow, then. G'Tan'a, please set it up."

"Of course, Clan Father." Then, with a smirk at Korsephan. "It will be my pleasure."

 

During all this the captured humans from Castus watched with morbid fascination. Certain that their lieutenant could not hope to beat a guard; they watched Zahra's fight, mainly. The cheering that erupted when she stabbed Strayh'el and rushed to Valna'a's aid only beaten by the silence as they realised what the result meant.

The girls agreeing to the rematch did not go down well, though there was some understanding as to their motives. Strayth'el, however, was recognised by more than a few of them and his cruelty towards them was legendary. A victory by their champions would mean that he could not be a guard for the foreseeable future.

 

That night Zahra spent sat by Valna'a's bedside, still shocked at just how badly injured she had been, Her brother's blade had been mere millimetres from having killed her instantly.

Valna'a, however, slept for twelve hours, after her sister had finished healing her. A record, as far as Zahra knew, never knowing her to sleep past six.

At the appointed time the two girls found themselves in the same ante-chamber as the day before. This time it was only Valna'a getting dressed for combat. The mood was much more cheerful. Despite how Zahra had billed the fight it was going to be their best against Korsephan's team's worst.

The mood did sober up a bit as Zahra strapped on Valna'a's torso armour, complete with the blood soaked hole in the side.

"Don't get overconfident, Love. Don't draw it out to entertain the crowd. The longer it goes on the more chance he will do something so ridiculous that it catches you out."

"Like you did to him yesterday? That won't happen today"

"Just be careful. I don't want to go back out there as a combatant.

"Speaking of which, why am I going to be in the arena at all?"

"The fight is a continuation of yesterday's. Therefore, the surviving combatants from yesterday are required to be there. It's tradition. You will also be required to execute him if he dishonours himself and I am not in a condition to do it. "

With that Valna'a handed her a sword and scabbard. The scabbard attached to a sling that went over her right shoulder and a belt that tied around her waist.

With her equipment on, Valna'a selected new weapons - apparently weapons and armour took longer to repair than living creatures - and the two headed out to the arena, and Zahra's first look at the stadium that day.

Instead of the single row of seats around the outside, today they were twenty deep, though for some reason the third row was empty. On seeing the two girls enter the crowd let out a massive roar, that actually sounded like approval.

As the challengers, this time, the two male elves were already there. Oddly enough, both were in armour and carrying weapons. Puzzled, Zahra looked across at Valna'a, as she was wearing a dress that the princess had chosen for her, for the event. Not a dress that would be considered beautiful in human circles, Zahra did, however, appreciate it.

The main colour was a purple so deep that was almost black, with a trim so black it still managed to contrast. The bodice was double thick, high necked and stiff, pseudo armoured as per local fashion with a lose, though quite heavy, skirt that stopped above the ankles.

"What a moron." Was Valna'a's only response until they were in front of her father.

"Why are you dressed for combat, Korsephan? Are you planning to dishonour yourself, and this match?

"Clan Father, I ask that the guards monitor this challenger as he has come prepared to fight, when his role is an observer." Spoken in a formal manner, as though it was part of the ritual behind the combat.

The look on Korsephan's was thunderous. His sister had obviously called into question his honour, and he had to take it.

"Your concern is noted warrior. The actions of the observers will be monitored." Again, a formal announcement. This time by the MC.

Zahra could see a slight smirk on her partner's face. This was obviously part of their ongoing war and he had gifted her a major victory.

"Observers to your posts. Combatants prepare."

Walking over to stand next to Korsephan, under his fathers box, Zahra took a better look at the crowd. The empty third row obviously meant as a barrier between the nobility and lower classes. There being a noticeable difference in the clothing and bearing of the two camps.

Knowing he would refuse, but unable to not have a dig at the man anyway, Zahra gave a slight bow while offering her hands out in the double fist bump that was the elvan equivalent of a formal handshake. Traditionally Korsephan should do the same with the depth of the bow and the enthusiasm of the bump showing his respect for her. Unsurprisingly he glanced at her gesture and turned away. As he did, sections of the crowd booed him.

Out in the arena the two actual combatants faced off. This time Strayth'el had forgone the ceremonial blade and was using a standard sword and dagger combination. He had also changed his armour, not that Zahra felt that he had to worry about having a hole in the back of his cuirass: Valna'a would go through the front.

"You have changed your armour, challenger." Called Valna'a. "Is it not custom to use the same set?"

"Custom, Princess." A sneer to his voice. "But not law. You and your pet human have bent enough customs that you can hardly criticise."

"True enough, I suppose." She agreed with a grin. "Though we did it to allow us both to fight."

"Then why isn't she fighting today? Scared she'd lose to your brother?"

"We thought we'd do you a favour, Strayth'el. You've wanted to get revenge on me since you I beat you up for stealing from my sister. Today is that day!"

"Your sister is, and always has been weak, Valna'a. I was merely taking what was my due as the stronger person. My life was hell at the next level - they all thought I was holding out on them and no gang would let me join if I didn't share my credits."

"FOR THE BENEFIT OF ANYONE WHO WOULDN'T LET STRAYTH'EL IN THEIR GANG." She shouted. "DESPITE BEING YOUNGER AND SMALLER I REALLY HAD TAKEN HIS MONEY THAT DAY."

That got another laugh out of the crowd. One instantly silenced by the first beat of the drum.

Despite her bravado, Valna'a knew that someone as untrained as Strayth'el could do something unpredictable and get a lucky strike, so when the eighth and final beat sounded she faked charging in to see what he would do.

Strayth'el on the other hand was scared. Scared in a way that he had never felt before. Valna'a was a trained and decorated soldier. By all accounts a natural warrior and a fierce opponent. Even more now than when they were children. He, on the other hand, had been selected to bully defenceless and drugged slaves for his first career, despite having applied for the military. He had also lost to a member of a lesser race the day before. One who was vastly inferior to his current opponent.

Deciding that he had to get this over with he lunged at his opponent swinging wildly in a figure of eight pattern. Keeping an eye on her sword to see if was going to strike, he kept his dagger back as a defence. When he saw her initial attack instantly revert to a retreat he concluded she was as scared of him as he was of her.

Constantly forcing the princess to retreat around the arena he was starting to enjoy himself. He would keep this up a bit longer then charge in for a strike and kill her. Technically, he was only supposed to beat her into submission, but he wanted this over with and killing her would prevent a round three.

Watching the two circling the field Zahra glanced at the prince.

"Your partner is an idiot, Your Highness."

Korsephan ignored her, but the grim anger on his face betrayed his feelings.

The 'battle' in the arena did not last long. It was never going to. Valna'a did not intend to risk defeat by showboating and she could tell Strayh'el was starting to learn why his style of fighting was not popular.

Strayh'el could feel his arm tiring and knew the time was now. Combining a clumsy overhead strike from the sword with a straight thrust with the dagger he charged his opponent, his imagination picturing the devastation his strikes would cause. Instead,

 Valna'a merely deflected his strike down to her right, while spinning into a crouch to her left to end up behind him.

Continuing her spin she slashed her razor shard sword across the back of his thighs, cutting through the flesh of both legs and scoring the bone. As he fell, screaming in pain, Valna'a brought the sword round again as though to finish him off. Just stopping the blow before it struck his neck

Illusions shattered Strayh'el immediately knew he was beaten. The pain, dulled as it was by the combat drugs, along with the blood dripping off his foe's blade told him he had lost.

"I Y....." He started.

"NO!" Screamed Korsephan, who in one smooth motion drew his sword, spun and struck across Zahra's torso, sending her crashing into the wall of the arena.

"..ield!" Finished Strayh'el

0