Chapter 27
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

In the end it took less a week for the elves to gather all the humans from Carsus and elves from the planet classified as DTU, and to organise their release.

The elves went first, never knowing the whole story as to why they had been freed, having not been told why Zahra had requested their release as part of the fight. None, except Asarina Fireshadow, who did know exactly who Valna'a was and did not blame her for anything.

During that week the humans were joined by a few more survivors of the previous raids, those who had been away from the prison during the fights. This was a depressingly small number compared to the number actually captured, though. Yslana confirmed that all the survivors were now there, the rest having lost their lives at the hands of their captors.

Those injuries that could be repaired were done so. The magic salve removing most scars and fading the rest. Even Peterson and Xi were taken to a healing centre where their limbs were straightened, under anaesthetic this time, before being returned. Missing parts of the anatomy, it seemed was the only repairs the elves could not make and made no effort to provide prosthetics.

Not all the newcomers knew the reason for their integration into the large group and even fewer believed it when they were told. All of them had been prisoners here for many years and one, Sarah, had even been born here when her pregnant mother was taken.

The magic day finally arrived. Just one week after the rematch. Zahra hadn't been able to sleep that night, and judging by the noise around them she hadn't been the only one. The cell's lights came up to normal intensity, signalling the start of the day.

Of course, being soldiers, there was grumbling from some of the troops, some about the early start, some about the late start, some about the lights now being dimmed at night, after years of being at a constant illumination.

Valna's looked, inquisitively at Zahra.

"It's a way of them dealing with their nerves, Hun. Until they set foot back on New Geneva there will be scepticism about today. Even then there will be some who will be expecting it to be a trick.

"Are you still sure you want to come with us? You're not exactly going to be miss popular with my people."

"Where else would I want to be? Whatever happens I'm going with you. I've nothing left here. I can never be a full member of Blood Elf society again, so there's no point us staying here. And if there is a coup, which is likely, then being related to the current Clan Father isn't going to be healthy.

"What I can't believe is that you're taking 03AAA0001 with you."

"My people will be much more amenable to accepting you if they have a more senior member of the raid to use as a scapegoat."

Valna'a gave a Zahra a kiss.

"I need to take care of a few things. I'll see you on the other side,"

The routine kicked in amongst the humans and they started their morning ablutions, for the last time here. Stripping off their tattered clothes the humans walked through the communal shower area. Valna'a's presence was so normal now that it felt like one of their own was missing as they got ready.

With everyone washed and fed they started to gather in their old platoons. By unspoken agreement the humans had decided to return home as a military force, rather than as a group of refugees.

Governor Micklewhite led the humans out of the cell, for the last time, supplanting the military commanders, carrying a white cloth tied to a pole. Partly to reinforce that the military worked for the civilian government, and partly because Colonel Quansah's mind had deteriated to the point where he couldn't be trusted to command.

The surviving civilians had been give then choice of staying with the sections they had been assigned to or reverting back to a pure civilian classification. Those that had not chosen to remain with the military were congregated together between the two companies, along with the command personnel and Yslana. Saphie chose to go with her teacher at this point, leaving 4 Platoon down to only two sections.

Marching at the front of her platoon, Zahra wasn't sure whether or not to be surprised that the central portion of the prison was empty, but it was. Some of the cells were open, some closed. Apart from the lack of guards it was obvious the prison was still operating fully.

For the first time the human column turned right there and went down a corridor they had never been down before. Reaching the end of the corridor the troops stopped, marking time, at the door to the gate room. Then the door opened, and a force of armed Elves waited for them

The Elves parted, forming an honour guard, of sorts, for their one time prisoners. All except for three. Two armoured and armed. One shackled and angry. Sergeants Mantle and Singh marched forward to replace Korsephan's guards, dragging him to one side, the plan being to allow the first half of the parade to pass, before rejoining in the centre of the formation.

At the other end of the room was the gate itself. Already activated the multitude of colours even more jarring after their years of mostly sombre colours. As they started their march towards it a figure stepped through it.

Stepping to one side the figure removed her helmet to reveal Valna'a waiting for them. Zahra wasn't sure why, until she heard a relieved sigh from the front of the column. Valna'a was trusted. If she had just come through then the humans could trust that the portal led to New Geneva. To Home.

With a renewed spring in their step the men and women of One platoon marched, as smartly as they could, through the portal. Two and Three platoon followed and then it was Zahra's turn. As she approached she saw Valna'a, out of the corner of her eye, fall in beside her. Taking her partner's hand in hers she stepped through.

Straight into the back of Three Platoon. Evidently the plan to continue the march had disintegrated when the first humans had stepped foot back on their home world. Officers were shouting at their men and moving them out of the way, but there was still a log jam when Zahra's platoon stepped through, nearly running her over.

Joining in with the other officers she started moving her people out of the way of the gate. Some moved when she told them, some required shoving. But all moved by the time Five Platoon arrived. Though they started the traffic jam again when the lead elements froze at the sight before them.

The only hiccup was that when sergeants Mantle and Singh exited their gate their prisoner was no longer with them. Each still held the ends of the shackles that had been holding him, it was just that there was no one attached to the other end. Reporting the fact to Governor Micklewhite they escorted Yslana and Sal'An for the next stage of their journey home

 Eventually all twenty platoons and sundry others were through and with an almost anticlimactic pop the gate closed behind them. This was the signal for the cheering to start. They were home. Finally home.

"See you around, Sugar Tits." Grinned Valna'a, before donning her helmet and activating her stealth technology.

"How will you know where to find me?" Zahra asked back, a little nervous that she might never see her soul mate again.

"I'll always know where you are, the same as you'll always know where I am, if you concentrate. And I've been scouting your planet." Came a disembodied voice, from somewhere nearby.

"Two Platoon, fall in!" Ordered Joe Andrews, getting the next stage started. Other platoon commanders following suit until the rag-tag mob of survivors were once again an approximation of a military formation. Zahra was worried about him. As the day for their freedom approached he'd become more and more withdrawn. Almost as though he dreaded this day. She didn't understand why. Maybe it was the thought of seeing - or not seeing - someone from his past.

"One Platoon. Left Turn. Quick March!" And with that Sergeant Tavish started the ball rolling, and the four hundred and thirty six humans, and one unhappy elf, started along the last two kilometres of their long trek home.

 

0