Chapter 4
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Macau walked down the street, swinging the plastic bag filled with food back and forth, a tune he’d heard earlier threatening to force a whistle from him. He grinned to himself as he made his way to the bar. He ran through his head what they would be doing that evening; eating, drinking, maybe a club, or a movie. Something other than the tedious lessons and assignments of the week. He gave in to the tune in his head, and pushed his earphones into his ears, then searched through his phone for it.

While he stared down at the screen, still walking forward and swinging the bag, Macau didn’t notice a man standing on the other side of the road, staring at him. He didn’t notice as the man began to walk with Macau’s pace, glancing over at him now and then. The man walked along side Macau, relaxed in his gait, not trying to hide himself at all. His hands were thrust deep the pockets of his jeans, an oversized jumper hanging around him, hiding his height and build. His hair had been bleached blond a few weeks ago, and already showed black roots showing through. He pulled his right hand from his pocket to scoop the hair, grown to hang over his eyes, back away from his forehead.

Macau twisted around the corner, forcing the man to cross the road and follow behind him. Further down this road was the bar Macau headed towards, one far away from their families, far away from anyone they knew. That was the plan, and why Porchay had asked to meet there. Macau couldn’t quite understand what was going on with Chay. He could have attended the university he’d wanted, but left, he could be living in the main families mansion, like Macau was, but wouldn’t. Macau had moved in with the main family for a few weeks after Vegas took Pete to the boat house. Vegas was supposed to return and start working with the main family, but he hadn’t mentioned this to Macau. He’d just told him that he and Pete needed some time alone, and that Macau was to treat it like a holiday. But Korn, Macau’s uncle, said that Vegas was supposed to come back to the family.

Macau didn’t mind where he was, as long as he was with Vegas, The mansion was luxurious, and open completely for him, as long as he promised to keep away from Kuhn’s fishponds. They’d been welcoming to him, but still Macau just wanted to be with his brother.

The bar was compact and dark, music already thumping across its small space, even though it was barely 4pm. Macau squinted to see the small handful of people hunched over the tables, until he saw Chay, sitting alone at the very back of the bar, nervously picking at a napkin laying under an untouched drink.

Macau laced his way through the other tables to fall down into a chair by Chay’s, and dropped the plastic bag on the top. He pushed it over to Chay, who only then noticed that he’d arrived.

Chay nodded to him, and then looked down at the bag. ‘What’s this?’ He asked.

‘Dinner,’ Macau answered, nudging the bag slightly closer to Chay, and then pulling it open to show the plastic boxes inside. ‘I bet you have’t been eating properly.’ He said, arranging the boxes in front of Chay.

‘This is eating properly?’ Chay asked him, looking over Macau’s choices of fried chicken.

‘It has all the food groups, eat it.’ Macau said. He pulled out a piece of chicken for himself, and they sat there quietly, eating and staring out at the dark room. 

Neither of them noticed the man who sat down at a table just down from them.

When they’d finished the food, Macau went to the bar to get some drinks for them, and they sat a little longer, in silence. Macau sighed. He knew Chay had been down, but he’d hoped the chicken would have cheered him up enough to have a better night. But Chay continued staring out into the bar, looking at nothing.

Eventually, Chay asked, ‘how’s Porsche?’ In his quiet, soft voice.

‘Annoying,’ Macau answered, ‘he’s always winding me up. Yesterday he threatened to throw me in the pool! He’s so grumpy these days.’

‘He’s upset?’ Chay asked, turning to Macau.

Macau downed his beer. ‘I suppose so, he’s been going out allot, Kinn mopes around. I stay out of the way.’

Chay sat back in his chair. Looking more dejected than before.

Macau sighed. ‘I did see Kim earlier today though,’ he tried, hoping to see Chay’s curiosity grow. It worked; Chay leaned forward towards Macau, and stared at him. ‘What was he doing?’ He asked, not trying to mask any excitement in his voice.

Macau shrugged, ‘visiting Kuhn, he spent some time with him, Kuhn annoyed him, and he left. I didn’t get to speak to him really, just say hi.’

‘How’d he look?’ Chay asked.

‘Intense.’ Macau told him. ‘He was doing the pouting thing he does, his forehead looked like it was about to explode. You know, how he normally looks.’ Macau grinned at Chay, and Chay couldn’t help give a smile back. ‘Come on,’ Macau continued, ‘let’s go out, forget all of them, you and me?’ He wrapped his arm around Chay’s shoulders. ‘How about it, Cousin?’

Chay allowed himself to grin too, and they let the bar for wherever the night took them.

The man also left, not following them anymore, but with his own grin growing across his face.

0