Chapter 8
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Macau smiled at Kinn, his hands behind his back. Kinn rolled his eyes and held out is hand to Macau. ‘Give it to me,’ he said.

Macau batted his eyes at Kinn, ‘What?’ He asked, with a voice made of syrup.

‘I have no idea, but there’s something behind your back. Give it.’ Kinn continued.

Macau kept his smile constant, as he held out his empty left hand to Kinn.

Kinn did not smile. ‘The other one,’ he said.

Macau’s grin grew, as he held out his equally empty right hand. ‘What?’ He asked innocently.

Kinn sighed. ‘What are you up to?’

Macau shrugged at him, ‘studying,’ he answered. ‘Don’t you trust me, Uncle Kinn?’

‘Of course not,’ Kinn answered, but allowed the smallest smile back at Macau. ‘Just, be careful, Mac, we’re supposed be looking after you, the last thing anyone needs is your brother going nuts because someone damaged one of your hairs.’

Macau’s solid smile wavered, for a moment. ‘Don’t think it’d matter,’ he said quietly, ‘anyway, if you’ll excuse me, Uncle,’

‘I’m your cousin, Macau,’ Kinn interrupted.

‘Still,’ Macau’s smile fully returned, ‘uncle seems more fitting. I’ll be off, then,’ he side stepped Kinn and moved towards the front door.

Kinn reached out for Macau’s wrist and held him in place. ‘Where are you going?’

‘I’m an adult, you know, I can come and go.’

‘You’re a kid, where are you going.’

Macau pulled his arm away, ‘To study, at the library.’

Kinn sighed again, ‘You can study here,’ he said.

‘Am I being kept prisoner?’

‘Of course not,’ Kinn told him, his voice suddenly tired.

‘Then you won’t mind me getting on with it, see ya,’ He slipped passed Kinn quicker, and out through the door.

Once he’d climbed into his car and started the engine, he felt in his pocket for the small box sitting in there, and smiled to himself.

Porschay was waiting for him, outside the library, and ready to jump into the car.

‘Did you get it?’ Chay asked him.

Macau pulled the box from his pocket and handed it over to Chay. ‘You’re welcome,’ he said.

Chay opened the box and took out a memory card, ‘it’s all on this?’

Macau nodded. ‘So, where should we go?’

Chay didn’t answer him.

‘We could go back to that club, I’m sure they’ll let us back in.’

Still nothing.

‘Hay,’ Macau punched Chay’s arm, ‘I had to break into the security room to get that, the least you can do is talk to me.’

‘Sorry, I just, can we go back to my room? I want to look at it now.’

‘No! You promised we’d have a night out, I don’t want to go back to your smelly rat hole.’

Chay was silent again. Macau regretted his words, like he always did with Chay. ‘Ok, look, my laptop’s in the back, in that bag.’ He watched as Chay pushed different burger wrappers and half empty bottles of Oishi plus until he unearthed Macau’s battered backpack. Chay pulled out the laptop and turned it on.

He slid the memory card into the slot and opened it. ‘You got all of them?’ He asked Macau.

Macau grinned and nodded at him, ‘every camera in the whole house on the day Kim visited. You’ll be able to track him, anywhere.’

Chay pulled up one of the files, and it showed a picture of the second lounge, rarely used and left for guests no one wanted to see. He reached out to close it and try another file, when he saw his brother, Porsche, and Kinn enter the room. ‘Look, you can see them!’ He said, unable to keep the excitement form his voice.

‘Of course you can,’ Macau said, amused, ‘it’s a surveillance camera.’

‘Look, Porsche,’ Chay pointed at the screen.

It made Macau laugh, ‘sometimes, you’re such a kid still,’ he said. He pulled the car over to watch with Chay. ‘What are they doing?’

‘Talking, Porsche looks upset,’ Chay said in his small voice.

‘I’m sure he’s ok, he seems ok. What are they talking about?’

‘How do I know?’

‘Read their lips?’

‘I can’t, they seem ok, Kinn’s comforting him now. Look, his hand’s on Porsche’s shoulder. He looks after Porsche, does’t he?’

‘He does, he’s hugging him now. See? They’re fine. They’re, oh.’ Macau stopped talking.

Chay seemed frozen for a moment, until he jerked the curser up to the close button.

They sat quietly for a moment longer.

‘So,’ Macau said eventually, ‘that’s how it’s done.’

‘Shut up!’ Chay shouted at him.

‘I’m just saying, I was wondering who would be doing what,’ He smiled at Chay. ‘Oh come on, they’re having fun, at least.'

‘Well I don’t want to see my brother, enjoying himself.’ Chay turned away from him and back to the laptop. He picked another file, ‘I wish I understood these numbers,’ he said absently. Each file was titled with a sequence of numbers.

‘It’s obvious,’ Macau said, ‘the first number is the floor, the second number is the room and then there’s the time.’

Chay looked over the files, ‘how do you know?’

‘I’m really smart,’ he said. ‘Look, that one is in Kuhn’s lounge, that’s where I saw Kim last. Try that one.’

Chay clicked on it and sped through the film until he saw Kim enter the room. He was searching through drawers and cupboards, until Kuhn entered, making Kim jump slightly. Kim always had this calm, almost arrogant demeanour about him; to see him jump was strange.

‘What’s he looking for?’ Chay asked Macau, now his main source of information.

‘No idea, want me to look when I go home?’

Chay flinched at the word home. That house was supposed to be his home too. ‘Ok,’ he said, ‘but don’t let Kuhn catch you.’

‘Definitely.’ It was Macau’s turn to flinch, ‘he’s never forgiven me for those fish.’

‘What fish?’

‘Never mind. Let’s just say your brother isn’t the only one to make some mistakes around his fishpond.’

Chay let it go, and watched Kim talking, then leave the room. He handed the laptop over to Macau. ‘Where was he before that?’

Macau searched through the files, pressing on a few from the hour before, until he found Kim going into his father’s office, and also in Kinn’s. 

‘What’s he doing in there?’ Chay asked.

‘Don’t know, there’s no cameras in those rooms, not that I found. But if he’s searching Kuhn’s room, he’s probably searching theirs too.’ Macau said.

They watched Kim moving through the house, until they caught him up in Kuhn’s room, and watched him leave through the front door.

‘Wait, Chay said sharply, ‘what’s that, rewind it.’

‘What?’ Macau said, but did as he was told.

‘There, outside, just as he reaches the end of the drive.’

The camera they were watching was positioned by the front door and showed a view all the way down the drive to the double gates at the end. They watched Kim walk to the gate and slip outside. ‘Look!’ Chay pointed at the screen.

There was a man, barely noticeable, standing by the gate. He stepped towards Kim, and the two of them disappeared into the street. He was only on the film for a few seconds, but he seemed to be waiting for Kim, and Kim didn’t seem surprised. Macau froze the film on the best shot of the man.

‘Do you recognise him?’ Chay asked Macau.

‘No, I don’t think so.’ Macau answered. ‘Where from?’

‘I don’t know, but I recognise his hair.’

‘It is cool,’ Macau said, staring at the blond haired man.

‘Do you know where he is right now?’ Chay asked.

‘Kim? No, his place, maybe?’

Chay turned to him, excitedly. ‘Do you want to have a stake out?’ He asked Macau.

0