Chapter 26
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Han and Arete are at the waterfalls. The girl is wearing thin clothes to let the water pressure go into her stiffened muscles and veins.

 

"Tell me the truth, Arete." Han said with his back facing the girl so that their interaction wouldn't be awkward.

 

Her sitting in a lotus position, eyes shut, "What truth do you want to know?"

 

"You are abusing the use of your spiritual energy to heal your body."

 

"It's none of your business."

 

"It is."

 

"I'm fine, Han. You don't have to fight with me against some imaginary problem."

 

"It's not imaginary if an immortal and a God notices the changes in your body."

 

"Did you bring me here to scold me? You took a lot of effort to say such nonsense."

 

"Is it wrong for me to be worried about you?"

 

"Everything's fine. Harcla has been checking up on me whenever the training is finished. Everyone is there whenever he tell me that nothing is wrong with my body."

 

"...."

 

"I am everyone's hope."

 

"And you need to put yourself first."

 

"Why would I? I will be a selfish leader."

 

"You won't. There's a difference between taking care of what the Gods gave you and abusing talking about some topics that will only focus on yourself."

 

"....."

 

He heard Arete stand up because of the water splashing in different directions and he could get wet.

 

"Han..."

 

"Hmm?" He still didn't face, "don't move, you're not done yet."

 

"Oh..." He heard Arete sit down and waited a few minutes before speaking again.

 

"Arete."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Focus on your breathing. Whenever you and Lobin are sparring, you lose your composure because you want to gather enough air to continue."

 

"I thought I was improving."

 

"You're improving physically, but you're still a human. You need your brain to cooperate with you. It needs oxygen to function properly."

 

"Oh. All right."

 

"The more you stabilize your breathing technique, the more positive energy will back you up in turning it into magic. It will be active and more vibrant."

 

"Yes I understand."

 

Han picks up several small stones and throws them in Arete's direction. The woman opens her eyes and catches two of the stones. She swiftly sways her body, left and right.

 

"You're cheating, Han." She smiles.

 

"I was just checking if you can do it with your awareness sense."

 

"Did I pass?"

 

"Of course. You're my student. I taught you basically everything."

 

"So what will be your explanation? I want to know more."

 

"All right. What you're doing is to lose all your muscles, get rid of all negative thoughts in your mind. By stabilizing your breathing technique, you will have a backup storage of positive energy when converting it into magic." A leaf is falling and he grabs and crushes it, "it also awakens the natural energy that works with life force, harnessing a desire to achieve a goal. Your mind and body will have coordinated movements, balanced strength, and greater awareness sense. Moving the energy throughout the body."

 

"Is that so? I feel really light. My body feels lighter."

 

"You're doing your meditation right. I'm so proud of you."

 

"No more adding information?" She asks.

 

"Hmm... Breathing exercises under the waterfalls tests your focus and visualization of peace. It helps you to achieve a good posture on your body."

 

"Thank you." She stands up and walks towards him, "Let's go back to the house."

 

As they walk into the forest, Arete stretches her arms and tugs Han's robes.

 

"Hmm? What is it?" He smiles softly at her.

 

Badump.

 

His smile makes her heart beat like crazy. As if the only thing she can hear is her heart.

 

'What is this?! I don't like him at that stage!' She put both of her hands on her cheeks, squeezing it while still feeling embarrassed.

 

"What are you going to say, hmm?"

 

"O-Oh... Sorry for raising my voice earlier."

 

"No. No. I think you're like that because you've been alone for almost all of your life."

 

".... Yes. I'm still not used to people caring about my condition. I'm having a hard time adjusting."

 

"Well, at least you're trying." He smiles at her again.

 

'Shit!' She can visualize her whole heart exploding, 'I did the meditation too right!'

 

"What's wrong? Did I say something offensive?"

 

"Ah... No... It's... I know you smile a lot, but a genuine one affected me."

 

"In what way?"

 

"... It lifts up my mood." She smiles sheepishly.

 

"Oh really? That's good to hear that I'm bringing happiness."

 

"Well... You're perfect."

 

"Perfect...? Hah. If Lobin's with us, he'll roll his eyes until only white remains. He doesn't agree with someone who's complimenting my looks." He laughs.

 

"You guys were acting like brothers. I love your bond."

 

"Really? Well, the way Lobin interacts with you, he also treats you as a little sister."

 

"But he's a strict mentor!" She pouts, crossing her arms.

 

Seeing her reaction, she laughs, ear to ear, "You acquired Crying Sun. That's basically his weapon when he was still sitting in the heavens."

 

"Han, do you think I'm deserving of your time and Lobin's?"

 

"What does your mind say?"

 

"It's blank. I don't know why. It feels like I gave up on life a long time ago."

 

"Lobin gave you the Crying Sun because by your genuine words, you proved that people can receive a second chance. You confronted him and stayed on your ground bravely."

 

"You... I think you're praising my actions that are considered bare minimum."

 

"Bare minimum? All your words and actions shouldn't be weighed nor labeled. All you need is for your soul to speak." He points where her heart is.

 

"...." She trembles and tears are forming in her eyes, "it's just... I keep receiving blessings from you and Lobin. Even Harcla is assisting me. Guxav fixed my body. Two Gods, a Guardian, and an immortal are looking out for me. I... I'm just a girl who works as a waitress and an orphan."

 

"Did you think those defined you?"

 

"... Yes."

 

"Arete, look at me."

 

"I dont want to." She looks away, tears escaping from her eyes.

 

He smiles and softly takes Arete's chin in his hand. He lifts her face up and stares into her eyes, letting her see the sweetest smile he has, "Arete..."

 

Her eyes moved sideways, avoiding his gaze.

 

"Arete, you are a twisted kind of person who will harm others according to the level of dignity and morality they have. You're like the punisher. You can balance the goodness and bad side of yourself. Sure, you grew up in an orphanage and worked as a waitress, but that path is the only one visible to you because people have been cruel to you."

 

"...."

 

"It's part of your story but it's not literally the reason why you're here in front of me. You fought creatures and people because you're hoping to save someone that is within your hands. Now, please... Look at me . I don't want to see you cry." His other hand wipes her tears.

 

"It's scary to be happy and strong, Han. Because fate always takes back all the blessings I had received  and  If I don't  hurt myself then, I won't calm down."

 

"You must have a scar..."

 

"There is..."

 

"Did you ever think of a bittersweet escape from your body? Want to fly freely like a bird?"

 

"Yes."

 

"If our mission is over... If we ever eradicate the enemies of each nation in Sera and find my comrades, I'll give up my immortality."

 

"...Huh?"

 

"Let's die together, Arete."

 

"... What?" Her eyes widened, dumbfounded.

 

"I'll surrender being immortal —"

 

"NO! DON'T DO THAT! YOU'LL TURN INTO ASHES!"

 

"That's why we'll die together."

 

"Han... No... Instead of you... I'll become an immortal like you and Jayen... And the others."

 

"....."

 

"Remember when I said, I'll stay by your side? Even though my mind says I want to die, I'll stay and keep living. I want to find another purpose with you."

 

"Arete..."

 

"After the mission's done, my next goal is to live and spend eternity with you." She smiles.

 

Han caresses both of her cheeks, "you... You're willing to do that for me?"

 

"...Yeah."

 

"You're like proposing to me."

 

"Maybe I am."

 

He was stunned then smiles, "Arete, I —"

 

"Oi, what are you guys doing?!" Lily shouted at the distance.

 

Han immediately lets go of her face, his face slowly turns pink at Arete's forward manner.

 

Lily reached their location. The girl smiled at them both.

 

"How was your training, Arete?"

 

"It's fine. I feel better. I feel like all the cramps that will form due to my stiff muscles are gone now."

 

"That's good to hear, Arete!" Lily turns to Han, "How's your injury, hmm?"

 

Arete furrowed her eyebrows, "What injury?"

 

Lily immediately covers her mouth. Han sighs heavily and face palms.

 

"Why is no one answering me? What injury?" Arete demanded.

 

"It's nothing. Just a small wound from cutting trees."

 

"Then Lily won't have to cover her mouth if it's that shallow. Tell me. Right now."

 

Han walks away and Lily follows him. Arete was annoyed with him. She thinks it's hypocritical that he wants her to be open about her struggles when it comes to him, he's hiding it.

 

They reached home. Lobin teaches Faier about possession of living things. They didn't ask why Arete suddenly pulled Han into a room.

 

"Show me the injury." Arete said.

 

"My injury is not that bad."

 

"Then show it to me."

 

"...." He takes off his loosened robe and there's a black scar and some of its ends are like veins on his stomach that reach to the lower part of his body.

 

She was horrified to see that and touched the scar on his stomach, "it... It looks like a healed scar... What happened...?"

 

"It's my punishment for being an immortal."

 

"... What?"

 

"Well... There's not really an immortal back when Iryankka still existed. They are still studying about its mystery but I achieved it by cultivating. It means expanding my lifespan. Improving the flow of my spiritual energy and... I kinda destroyed my core so it took me a hundred years to fix it and continue being immortal."

 

"... Who did this? Did the Gods do this to you?" She looks at him, teary eyed.

 

"... Yes."

 

"....Han."

 

He smiles softly, "it's nothing really. I'm used to its pain."

 

"So... If I'll be immortal like you, will I receive this scar?"

 

"No. Not really because the creator himself made thousands of worlds that have immortals and superhuman strengths."

 

"... I will set you free from that injury."

 

"You don't need to."

 

"But I want to."

 

"...."

 

"Why didn't you tell me? I hope I can help you relieve the pain."

 

"I don't want you to be worried."

 

She clenched her fist, biting her lower lip, trying not to be emotional, "You idiot... You told me to be open about my struggles."

 

"Because I know I can fix it."

 

"I can do that too!"

 

He pats her head, "I can deal with this on my own, Arete."

 

"I'll carry half of your burden, Han."

 

"You're so stubborn."

 

"Even so. I want you to live freely and happily."

 

"Freedom, huh... Must be nice. I like the idea of ​​being free."

 

"You will like it more because I'll be with you." She smiled.

 

"Arete...." Then Han turns his head to the side, "You gotta be kidding me. You're stubborn and prideful. What a pain."

 

"HAH?! WE'RE HAVING A SERIOUS CONVERSATION HERE AND YOU'RE DRAGGING YOUR BULLSHIT!"

 

"Huh? I'm just saying. Nothing personal." He shrugged.

 

"AH! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU! YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO BE SERIOUS, AREN'T YOU?!"

 

"Never." He sticks his tongue out.

 

She pushes him, "I change my mind!"

 

"You're stuck with me. What do you mean?" He holds her wrist, smiling.

 

"Let me go, stupid clown!"

 

"Aww. Is my dear student getting shy? Hehe, is there a problem, Arete?"

 

"You! You are the problem!"

 

"Don't worry, you won't be getting rid of me soon."

 

Her face turns red as a tomato, "SO SHAMELESS!"

 

"What shameless words did I say, huh? Tell me."

 

"It's up to you! You're teasing again!" She stormed out of the room, but Han saw her smile which made him smile too.

 

Lobin peeks out from the door and knocks, "Harcla made you another medicine for your injury."

 

"Oh yeah. Thank you. You can put it on the desk."

 

"So...." Lobin sits beside Han, "Do you love her?"

 

"Who?"

 

"Arete. This dumb —"

 

He laughs and jokingly smacks the man's back, "I'm just messing up with you."

 

"Hah. If I don't know you, I'll probably get irritated, but answer my question."

 

"Hmm... Love, huh... The last time I felt that emotion was when Xian was still alive."

 

"I know. You're one to two thousand years old now."

 

"I don't know if I love Arete." He clasped his hands, "I want to protect her. I want her to be happy. I want her to stay by my side. At first, I was delighted that I will gain another friend, but as time goes by... All I want is for her to grow old without regrets. I don't want to see her hurt. I want her to experience things she never got to do. Protect and save her... Something like that."

 

"So it's love."

 

"Is it?"

 

"You can't say it but you act it out. You're in love with her." Lobin smiles and pats his back.

 

"But she's still beautiful after so many —"

 

"But you love her for who she is right now not in the past, am I right?"

 

"Yes. Of course." His eyes didn't lie. He was sincere and determined.

 

"Why don't you say it to her?"

 

"She's not ready for love and things that revolve around it."

 

"Oh. Reasonable. Keep it like that, little prodigy."

 

"It's been so many years since you called me that."

 

"I just thought you're uncomfortable with it."

 

"Oh.. Maybe I'm still having mixed emotions on that word."

 

"Anyways..." Lobin's expression turned serious, "The past will chase after Arete. We need to stay and understand. She might change."

 

"She already changed her personality. When I gave her a blessing the moment she gained access to her core, when you gave her the Crying Sun, she was never the same woman I knew."

0