Chapter 28
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While outside, Arete was standing beside Han's holding its outer robe. He's been destroying trees and some carts that he sees to calm himself, but it doesn't work. 

 

"What more do they want from us...? We... Were also humans that wanted to help their own kind." Hatred can be seen in his eyes, "We eat and sleep every day. We trained and had these disgusting emotions. We cultivate our core to extend our lifespan. Why does it make us different?" 

 

"Purpose." 

 

Han looks at Arete, "... Huh?" 

 

"Iryankka's nations and its people had different goals to achieve. May be it can begin  a war or united each countries. All of you attempt to reach the impossible ending for a person, seeking immortality and redemption." 

 

"....." He breathed heavily, looking at the damages he had done. 

 

"What you just did is natural if you let your emotions take over you." 

 

"... I know." 

 

"Back when we're in the Palace of Wisdom, do you remember what you taught me in meditating? Keep it simple and natural. Let your core find the humility and compassion inside your soul." Arete said seriously. 

 

".... I... I can repair this right now. Give me a moment." 

 

"That's a disadvantage." 

 

"....." 

 

"Abusing your power to erase the marks of your outburst. Why? Are you ashamed that deep inside you're only a human?" 

 

"Maybe." 

 

"When I gained access to my spiritual energy and core, I learned how to control it and was able to unleash it because the dimension we're in has an unlimited universal power that can support your mental, psychological and physical body. But what you didn't teach is how to punish the wicked." 

 

"I'm afraid you'll turn like me and Jayen. I told you guys that the two of us grew up like brothers. I'll summarize my past. I used to live in the horses' stable. I'll use their manure as a pillow and of course, I settle down with it because I have no one. If I make a single mistake, they will make me eat those." 

 

"... What?" Her eyes widened. She can feel her stomach clenching in fear. 

 

"Jayen, being the ray of sunshine of everyone's life, he visited the farm where I was and saw my condition. He offered his hand. Surprisingly, his parents didn't seem to care about my appearance and even touched me." He smiles longingly, "I learned basic education at my age and etiquette as a second young master of their family." 

 

"...." Arete doesn't know what to answer. She holds the robes tightly, thinking of words that will be sound appropriate. 

 

"We dreamed of running Iryankka and uniting all nations so there will be no slavery, hunger and drought. We were so foolish back then but hey, it's free to have a dream. I also met Xian on the way to achieving that dream. The three of us became friends and entered the Academy where we changed differently in a negative light. Xian became obsessed with human experimentation. Her excuse was, it's for the better and inspiration for music. Jayen became the head of our family and swore an allegiance to the academy and learned different inhumane torture and spreading plague and use that as a step to accumulate noble titles." 

 

"... You?" 

 

".... I didn't have a solid path back then." He laughs awkwardly, "All I do is lengthening my lifespan, remove the limit in my core, memorizing enchantments to call the Gods. You can say that the three of us are breaking nature's laws slowly and dragging our homeland to the underworld." 

 

"....." 

 

"Corruption in someone's soul is inevitable. Trust and promises will be thrown out." 

 

"Do you think I'll get astray? Tell me honestly." 

 

".... Yes." 

 

"Is that so? Do you think I'll be able to get out of it?" 

 

"I hope. Praying will do the part." 

 

She smiles, "Jayen is alive. I won't leave your side. You can let out your feelings as long as you want and I'll listen to it, just be able to listen to mine, so it will be mutual." 

 

He nodded slowly, looking down on the ground, "Mn." 

 

"Han, look at me." She holds both of his hands, "I know that cruel actions you and the others had done will come again to haunt you. But  I will try my best to lessen it." 

 

"You will fall with me if you continue being like that." 

 

"I don't mind." 

 

"....." 

 

"You said being depraved is inevitable that once in a human's life, they will go through that cycle." 

 

"But you have already changed. Your eyes are lifeless and emotionless. You're abusing and experimenting with music when you are injured. You're basically harming yourself to gain more knowledge." 

 

".... It must be Guxav's veins." 

 

".... You have told  me he fixed you. What did he do?" 

 

"Lobin told me he stitched my body and soul using his hair and veins." 

 

"I'll cleanse you." 

 

"But I don't feel anything corrupted." 

 

".... An accidental bonding between a mortal and God..." He whispers, but panicked surrounded his voice. 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

".... Nothing. We should go back to them." He walks away, avoiding her intense gaze. 

 

"You don't want comfort before going in?" 

 

"It will make me cry more, so no." 

 

"Alright, alright." She sighs in defeat. 

The day after tomorrow, Arete decided to move to another city in order to know more about Jayen's deed for Yaxor when Lily pulls her aside. Lobin and Faier looked at each other, knowing what the woman would say to her. 

 

"Objection?" She asks wholeheartedly, waiting for Lily's answer. 

 

She slowly sits down and Arete follows, "... I... I need your help, Arete. I need everyone's help." 

 

"In what field? If it's money, Han has an unlimited source of money. He's wealthy." 

 

"No... Did I tell you about my brother?" 

 

"I don't remember, but proceed." 

 

"... I used to be part of a noble family. I don't want to mention it because I still have complications... I mean, mixed feelings about it. And I have an elder brother. He's supposed to be heir, but when I was born, I looked like my father, an exact copy of his. That's the only thing that made him look my way and spend most of his time teaching me how to run the family and its business." She looks at Arete hesitantly, but surprisingly, the woman isn't fazed at all. She's focused on listening, "Arete?" 

 

"I'm listening. Continue so I can understand where you're coming from." 

 

She looks back at Lobin and Faier and the two give her a thumbs up. She took a deep breath and said, "My brother was set aside as we grew up but he didn't resent me for our parents' decisions. He even helped me if I lacked skill in a particular area. Basically, our parents only act as one when I achieve something that will bring our family to a pedestal. My brother practically raised me." 

 

"I'm envious of that. I wished I had a family." Arete rested her face on her hand. 

 

"Well... My parents are... corrupted officials. They created special problems that hindered Yaxor's development. They are confident in their roles because they don't appreciate the social traditions of the citizens. Everyone knows that but when it comes to elections, whenever my parents say sugar coated words, people believe it because there's a room for second chances." 

 

"Bullshit." Arete rolls her eyes, "Second chance isn't optional for the likes of your parents." 

 

"... I know." 

 

"Do you have anything to say? More about your past?" 

 

"Yes... Our family used to live here in Mewn but when father got promoted, we moved to Ridav, doing the same routine he did as a government official, but the two generals gathered enough evidence and caught them red handed. Our titles were stripped off from us. I pursued being a knight and my brother stepped up on being an heir but my parents were assassinated." 

 

"Deserved." 

 

Lily laughs, "do you really need to say that?" 

 

She shrugs, also smiling, "Maybe? I'm letting my inner thought win." 

 

"Well... After being an apprentice of the knight commander, my brother re-established our reputation in Mewn but he needs to go to the northern part of Yaxor and was held as a hostage." 

 

"So you're saying we need to save him?" 

 

"... Yes. He's the only family I have. They took away one of his eyes, tortured him for not saying anything about my whereabouts and the access to the properties my parents once held because deep inside, he still treats me as the sole heir of our family. They sent me a letter with his pictures. Thinking about it makes me shake with fear." 

 

"You're lucky to have him as your brother." Arete stands up, clenching her fist, "We'll save him. Do you agree with my decision, Han?" She called. 

 

Han appears beside her, smiling so gently at the girl, "Jayen can wait. Whatever you think is right, we'll follow you." 

 

Arete smiled back, "thank you. Now, what's the northern city of Yaxor?" 

 

Lobin, "Oi. Did you forget that Yaxor is a continent?" 

 

Arete, "....." 

 

Lobin, "....." 

 

Arete, "really?" 

 

Lobin, "I GAVE YOU A MAP, IDIOT!" 

 

"God of violence before your hair starts burning with your emotions, I hid it because Arete seemed to be forgetful about placing her belongings." Han sighs. 

 

Lobin massages his head to control the remaining patience he has, "we're in the country of Nesserja where Ridav and Mewn are located. We're already in the northern part of the continent except the city where Lily's brother was." 

 

"Oh... I... Get it? Then why Lily isn't sure?" 

 

"Lily, go ahead explain to this idiot. I'm running out of sanity." Lobin goes back to sit and Faier massages his back. 

 

"Well... I didn't travel to each city of Nesserja. I was locked up in the mansion, doing family's financial support and reports." She smiles awkwardly. 

 

"You... Were locked up?" Lobin almost snaps his neck when he looks at Lily. 

 

"I mentioned it to you." 

 

"No you did not." 

 

"Oh.. I must have forgotten..." 

 

"Who locked you up?" 

 

"... My parents." 

 

"Did no one else do anything?!" 

 

"Brother was put on probation whenever he tried to get me out. The servants were executed. You know, I hate the way I look at myself. I'm scared and hate myself. I envied the citizens who received blessings from the Gods when I did hard work too." 

 

Arete, "Lily..." 

 

"I asked my brother why good things never came into our lives. The happiness we have is an act. We're a puppet." Tears escape from her eyes, "All we do is to  live and try our best. I know Han and Lobin will tell me that, 'that's just how life works'. I still don't understand it and it hurts my heart." 

 

Lobin stands up, "Faier, let's put that strength of yours to test." 

 

"... Eh? What?" 

 

"We'll be back after two to three days. Don't leave or at least tell me your plans now." 

 

"Hmm... I think it's best for us to go to Lily's childhood house and investigate if the kidnappers were connected to her parents. That's why their targets are both Lily and her brother...? What's your brother's name?" 

 

"Crux. Crux Acland." 

 

".... Acland? Interesting. Your family is really influential." Han smiles knowingly. 

 

"What do you mean?" Arete glanced. 

 

"I said what I said. They used to be nobles so it's obvious. Use your head, my dear student." 

 

"Haa.. I really hate asking you. It will turn to sarcasm." 

 

"Was it? I don't really think that way." He grins at her. 

 

"Hello? Mortals? Where will we search for you?" Lobin frowns, dragging Faier into the portal he just made. 

 

"In... In my childhood home, Lobin." Lily stuttered a little bit at his expression. 

 

"...." He tries to calm his face until there's no annoyance on his face, "well then, I'll just test this little kid's strength. I can detect Han's spiritual energy wherever I go so it's not really a problem." 

 

Han gasped in exaggeration, "Wow. So the only thing that made you show up when I was young is because of that?" 

 

"What do you think, bastard?" 

 

"Where are you going?" Lily tries to shift the conversation before those two get into a silly fight again. 

 

"Palace of Wisdom? Underworld? Who knows. I'll give this brat of our group a trip." He smiled at her and went inside the portal, "Take care, Liliana!" He shouted before it shut down. 

 

Arete, "... Eh?" 

 

Han, "Oh?" 

 

Arete, "Your name is Liliana?" 

 

Lily's cheeks slowly turn pink, embarrassed that Lobin exposed it, "... Yeah." 

 

Han, "it's beautiful. You should use that name now you're free." 

 

"Oh... You guys knew that I left the knights after our fight against the leader of Ridav?" 

 

"We figured it out." Arete smiles cheekily, "You don't wear the knight's uniform anymore and the sword you brought doesn't have the sigil of Ridav." 

 

"Oh... I... I quit secretly. I didn't really want to be in the spotlight." 

 

"Nonsense! All of us must be in the spotlight!" Arete wraps her arm around Lily's shoulders, "You're in my group and as your leader, we must walk beside each other!" 

 

'Although, the future will come and you will leave us.' Han smiles bitterly, "That's her coping mechanism for being a mortal." 

 

"Hah?! Do you want me to kick you in the face?!" 

 

"Why don't you do then before announcing it? Do you want to get a reaction from me?" He winks at her, "there's my reaction. You may now do it, dear student." 

 

"YOU—!" 

 

The two of them chase each other around the inn until Lily tries to get in the middle to stop their bickering. When she did that, Arete didn't know it and proceeded to spin and kick Han. On the other hand, Han uses Lily as a shield and hides behind her. 

 

In the end, Lily passed out from the impact. 

 

"AH! LILY!" Arete panicked and the girl's cheek immediately swells up, "HAN! YOU ASSHOLE!" 

 

"It's a logical thing to do. She was my shield." 

 

"If it's Xian, will you still do it?!" 

 

"Of course. As long as someone wants to stop the fight." He laughs. 

 

"Haa... You... You're unpredictable!" She bends down and carries Lily, "do you have a medicine for this? What if the teeth fall out?" 

 

The two of them walk into their room. 

 

"It's her fault for having weak teeth." 

 

"It's not the case! Do you know how it hurts for a human to receive such a blow?!" 

 

"I don't know. I learned barriers when I was young." 

 

She rolls her eyes, irritated, "Lucky for you then." 

 

"Sera is a lucky world too. They have different types of people here." 

 

"Wait a minute. You're changing the topic!" She smacks his head, "Grab both warm and cold water. I will apply it to her injury." 

 

"What kind of a leader are you?" Han teases. 

 

"It's your fault!" 

 

"You can't blame me. I'm the victim here." He sticks out his tongue. 

 

"Hah?! Lily is the victim!" 

 

"No. I am. I'm weak and feeble." He said with a pleading face. 

 

"Oh please. Stop with that face." 

 

"Why? Am I not the cutest?" 

 

".... The perfect one." 

 

"... Eh?" 

 

"Never mind. Just get both warm and cold water. Don't forget the towels!" She turns away. 

 

"... Okay?" He stands up, leaving the room smiling ear to ear. 

0