Prologue
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tak-tak…

 

I slowly panned my head across the empty office at the sudden pitter patter of rain. 

 

My gaze rested on the office window where the dark rain was only illuminated by the backdrop of city lights.

 

I then turned to the clock in my cubicle, only to let out a deep sigh.

 

'It’s already 10PM and I’m nowhere near done… The subway and train are going to have hang-ups because of the rain... Will I be able to make it home tonight…?'

 

In my fatigue, my consciousness began to waver.

 

What have I been working so hard for?

 

I spent all my youth studying and working hard to secure a better future for myself…

 

Yet here I am in my middle age working with no end in sight thanks to a large, last-minute vendor transaction.

 

I let out another sigh, and redirected my attention back to the computer…

 

Knock-knock

 

“Excuse me, is anyone there…?”

 

… but that attention did not last long.

 

I looked towards the door, where a middle-aged man in navy jumpsuit coveralls sheepishly appeared.

 

He cautiously looked around until he spotted me. Surprised, the man quickly tugged down on his cap.

 

“Oh, sorry to bother you. Would it be alright if I started cleaning this area?”

 

I stared at him with my sunken eyes, only giving him a slight nod in response.

 

“Thank you, I’ll try not to disturb you.”

 

Rustle-rustle…

 

I continued working to the faint noise of the custodian cleaning in the background.

 

Click-clack… Tak-tak…

 

But even that was drowned out by the sounds of my typing and the rain…

 

 

Before I knew it, only the sound of my keyboard remained.

 

I peered at the clock once more.

 

“Midnight…”

 

I spit out a groan and collapsed onto my desk.

 

I could no longer fight the onslaught of drowsiness, and my consciousness began to fade.

 

In the end, people work to live. Me, the custodian, it’s all the same.

 

People may judge custodian work as a menial job, but who has it worse here?

 

“Even a janitor is fine…”

 

I squeezed out those last words before passing out…

 

 

Not knowing those really were my last words.

 

0