Chapter 36: Uncertainty
128 6 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a heavy heart, I trudged back to our settlement. Liora was the first to spot me, her expression filled with concern. "Tak, what happened?" she asked, coming up to me. I could only muster a smile in response.

"I spoke with their leader," I explained, my voice a whisper, "Now I need to speak with Mako and Kiera."

Liora's eyes brightened at this, "What did they say?"

"They made an offer," I replied, my words measured. "It's up to us to take it."

"That's wonderful, Tak!" Liora exclaimed, oblivious to the turmoil within me.

"Yeah, it is," I said, managing to keep my voice steady, while my thoughts were anything but. Without further explanation, I left her there, making my way towards the crowd where Mako was.

Mako stood in a crowd, engrossed in a conversation with Joran. The blacksmith was hard to miss with his muscular physique and raven hair. "Mako!" I called out, my voice cutting through the murmur of the crowd. He looked up, his cool brown eyes meeting mine.

"Tak! Where have you been?" Mako's usually calm demeanor was tainted with worry.

"I'll explain," I said, drawing a deep breath, "But you should call Kiera over first."

His eyes narrowed in concern, "What's going on, Tak? You seem...urgent."

I nodded, trying to keep my voice steady, "It's about the Mayitan tribe."

"The Mayitan tribe?" Mako's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "What tribe is that?"

"It's the one Vilthur belongs to," I replied, my heart pounding in my chest.

The words hung heavily between Mako and me, and silence stretched out between us until it was broken by Joran's voice. "I'll go fetch Kiera," he said, striding off without waiting for a response. Mako and I stood there in the encroaching twilight, the looming trees around us whispering secrets to the wind. The silence was a comforting companion, helping me gather my scattered thoughts.

After what felt like an eternity, Kiera finally made her way towards us. The weariness etched on her face was a mirror to the exhaustion I felt deep in my bones. "Why was I called? Has something happened?" she asked, her dark eyes searching ours for answers.

Mako gestured towards me. "Tak has some news to share."

Kiera's interest was piqued, her gaze now resting solely on me. "Do you have a plan for the upcoming battle?"

Shaking my head, I let out a deep sigh. "No," I admitted, feeling their eyes on me. I continued, "I visited the Mayitan tribe after you returned from negotiations."

Shock registered on their faces, and I could see the worry in their eyes. "Do you have a death wish, Tak? They could have killed you," Mako said, his voice a mere whisper.

"I know," I acknowledged, my voice steady. "But I had to try something."

Kiera shook her head, a sigh escaping her lips. "We tried to negotiate, but they just wouldn't agree."

"I know," I said, meeting her gaze, "but what we offered... it was good enough for trade between the two tribes."

Mako squinted at that, a frown creasing his forehead. "Then why didn't they accept?"

"Because," I replied, my voice barely audible, "it just wasn't enough for the lives of the Wulani women."

Kiera cursed under her breath, "So, we've made no progress then."

I shook my head, cutting through the air of defeat. "No, we have made progress," I said, my tone firm. "I spoke with their leader, and she's given us three options."

Both Mako and Kiera looked at me, their faces etched with surprise. "She?" Kiera echoed, her dark eyes wide with curiosity.

I nodded, feeling a strange sense of satisfaction at delivering the unexpected news. "Yes, we all thought Vilthur was the leader, but we were wrong. It's a young woman named Silma who's the chieftess. And she seems well aware of what's at stake."

Mako rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I remember seeing a young girl with black hair in their tribe," he murmured, his gaze distant. "But I didn't pay it much mind. I assumed she was Vilthur's partner or daughter."

Kiera nodded in agreement. "So, what options did Silma have in mind?" she asked, her voice filled with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

I took a deep breath before speaking, bracing myself for their reactions. "First, she offered for us to give them copper weapons. She believes it would make their hunting lives easier."

Mako interrupted me, shaking his head. "We've already discussed this, Tak. It can't happen."

"I know, Mako," I said, raising my hand to stop him. "But you should also know that the Mayitan tribe is nomadic. They never stay in one place for long."

Kiera interjected, a frown creasing her brows. "I don't see how that changes anything, whether they roam or stay put."

I sighed, realizing how difficult this was going to be. "The other options," I continued, my heart pounding in my chest, "Silma offered to return the Wulani women... in exchange for me joining their tribe."

The air around us stilled. For a moment, all that could be heard was the distant chatter of our people and the rustling of the trees. Mako and Kiera stood frozen, their faces a mask of shock and disbelief, their eyes filled with questions they couldn't voice.

Mako broke the silence first, his voice barely above a whisper. "Are you sure, Tak? Are you sure that's what Silma said?"

I nodded, my throat suddenly dry. "Yes, Mako. I couldn't believe it either."

Kiera shook her head, confusion lining her aging features. "Trade one for five? Why would we do such a thing?"

Mako turned to Kiera, his brown eyes stern. "We wouldn't, Kiera. Especially not Tak."

Kiera looked back at me, her gaze softening. "You bear the weight of an entire tribe, Tak. You're worth more than just five people."

Mako continued, his gaze piercing through me. "But why you, Tak? Why would they want you?"

My mind raced back to the conversation with Silma. "I showed them the sundial," I began, choosing my words carefully. "Hoped they might find it valuable enough to trade. I also mentioned other ideas... that I could bring to their tribe. Silma seemed to think my knowledge would be more valuable than the lives of the captured Wulani women."

Mako nodded slowly, absorbing my words. "Well, that's never going to happen, Tak. You don't have to worry about that."

Kiera chimed in agreement. "Even if those are my people down there, I wouldn't want you to suffer as they have, Tak."

I appreciated their support, but I knew there was more that needed to be said. "Thank you both," I began, my voice steady despite the turmoil within me. "But there's something else you should know, Kiera."

She turned her gaze towards me, her eyes reflecting the soft evening light. "What is it, Tak?"

I took a deep breath, steeling myself for what was to come. "Kiera, the Wulani women that were captured, they were part of a larger group," I started. "They tried to take the Mayitans' kill, which started a conflict between them. They killed some of the Mayitans, but were quickly overpowered."

I paused for a moment before continuing on. "Silma then ordered for the deaths of all the men in revenge for them killing the Mayitan people. She said it was only fair."

Kiera's eyes widened. "And how many of our people were lost, Tak?"

"I don't know," I admitted, the weight of the unknown casualties heavy in my heart. "But they kept the women alive."

I continued, remembering my conversation with Aiasha. "A woman named Aiasha, she told me they've been with the Mayitans for a while now."

Mako, who had been silent up to this point, mused aloud. "I wonder if this happened before winter broke or after."

"I would have asked her," I replied, frustration creeping into my voice. "But Vilthur didn't want me getting any more information out of her."

Mako nodded. "Smart move on Vilthur's part."

I sighed, rubbing my temples. The revelation had left me with a splitting headache. But there was more to share, and this time, it was for Mako.

"Mako," I began, looking him in the eyes. "I have more news."

Mako, taken aback, cocked an eyebrow. "What is it, Tak?"

"Mako," I began slowly, the words heavy on my tongue. "Silma isn't afraid of war."

He raised an eyebrow. "That's not smart of her," he retorted, confusion clouding his eyes. "Why does she think she can win?"

I sighed, meeting his gaze. "She doesn't think she can win. But she can assure that we will have heavy losses."

Kiera frowned, leaning in. "How?"

I shrugged helplessly. "I'm not sure. But she claims to know where our settlement is, and she has people observing us from afar. If we go to war, those people will return to our home and... and they would kill everyone there."

Mako's face paled as the implications hit him. "My mother is there," he whispered, eyes wide with fear. "And the children..."

"Our next generation," Kiera added, her voice trembling slightly.

"And they could destroy everything," I continued, "since there's no one there who could stop them."

"But is this true?" Mako asked, his voice barely a whisper.

"I'm not sure," I admitted. "It could be a ploy, a way for her to buy time."

"Buy time for what?" Kiera questioned. "They can't leave even if they wanted to. We're right here."

"I think we should consult Lorn about this," I suggested. "But it would've been hard for him to cover everything. We can't say for certain if what she's saying is true or not."

Mako's frustration boiled over, and he smacked his hand against the tree next to him.

Kiera paused, her gaze locked on mine. "And what was her final offer?"

Drawing in a deep breath, I shared Silma's last proposal. "We can avoid the war, have all the captives returned without any blood being shed."

Kiera's eyes lit up, a glimmer of hope crossing her face. "That sounds good, but what's the catch? Do we have to give up anything or anyone?"

I shook my head. "No."

Mako, now calmer, leaned in. "What must we do then?"

I swallowed, my mouth dry. "Silma wants to join our tribes together... through a joining, a wedding."

Mako's brows furrowed in confusion. "And the candidate?"

I forced a weary smile. "That would be me."

Kiera sighed heavily. I pressed on. "They'll join us, add to our population, our workforce, and give us all their captives. No more fighting."

Mako took a moment, then asked, "What do you think?"

Kiera chimed in before I could answer. "This sounds too good to be true. Tak, you're special, but what do they gain?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "But if I have to, I'll do it."

Mako was quick to react. "Take your time to think about this."

Kiera added, "And even if you agree, we can't accept."

"Why not?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

Kiera was quick to elaborate. "How will we house all these people? Feed them? Winter will be coming soon, and we don't have enough food to feed the Mayitan tribe. It's impossible."

Mako countered, "We can find a way."

But Kiera shook her head, her words cutting through the silence. "Not even our ancestors could perform miracles. And even if they could, the tension within the tribe will only escalate. It's not feasible."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "We have to do something. The potential gains from the Mayitans joining us might outweigh the negatives."

But Kiera shook her head. "It won't. The captive Wulani women would loathe them to the core. The remaining Wulani would align with them, and you, being part of the Ashaya, will be caught in the crossfire. In-fighting would disrupt our work, and who knows what the Wulani people or the Mayitans would do."

Mako chimed in, agreeing with Kiera, "We have a fragile balance at this moment. Anything that could upset either side might lead to a complete breakdown."

I sighed again, the weight of the situation pressing heavily on my chest. "So, what do we do then?"

"I don't know," Mako admitted, his eyes scanning the horizon. "But night is approaching soon."

I turned to him. "Do you still plan on sending out a force to rescue the captives?"

Mako paused, his gaze distant. "I don't know...we might have to delay it."

His uncertainty was a reflection of my own inner turmoil. "What do you think I should do, Mako?"

Mako met my gaze, his voice steady. "I'd like to avoid a battle, but not at the cost of losing you, Tak."

Nodding, I said, "I'll think about it and get back to you before nightfall."

He offered a terse nod. "Alright, take your time."

As I left, I glanced back to see Mako and Kiera deep in conversation. Their words swirled around me like leaves in the wind, a stark reminder of the complexity of our situation.

3