Chapter 47: Big steps
62 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I returned to the tribe I noticed my younger sister, Maeve walking along the riverbank with little Finn who was holding a wooden spear. This close to the tribe there was little danger but it was nice to see him still carrying one for protection. It was half the size of the ones we normally used, but it was fit for him. Maeve giggled at something he said as she raised her hand to cover her mouth. She normally didn't do this so it was a surprise when she did. I only knew of people covering their mouths in a far-distant future, not now during this primordial age.

Before I could utter any words to greet them another figure emerged from the forest. It was Liora, her fiery hair glinting in the afternoon sun. She had a small bundle of herbs in her hand.

"Tak," she greeted me, her emerald eyes locking onto mine. "Were you visiting Silma again?"

I looked at Liora, unable to miss the warmth radiating from her emerald eyes. "I was visiting Silma earlier. I wanted to explore the possibility of working together with her tribe on some projects."

"Projects?" Liora tilted her head slightly, her fiery hair catching the sunlight and appearing almost aflame.

"Smoking meat, to be precise. It's a preservation technique that can extend the life of our food supplies, especially during the winter time. Silma seemed interested."

Liora nodded thoughtfully. "That sounds promising. What did she say?"

"Well, she liked the idea," I paused, weighing my next words. "But she also extended an offer. One that complicates things a bit."

Liora caught the hesitation in his voice. "An offer? Like what?"

"She wants me to move to her tribe, to be more closely involved with their progress," I said softly. "She also hinted that her previous marriage proposal still stands."

Liora looked deep into my eyes, searching for something she couldn't quite put a name to. "And what do you think?"

"I'm not sure," I admitted. "On one hand, her tribe and ours merging could be beneficial. More hands to harvest, hunt, and build. On the other hand, the tension between the tribes is pretty high right now. The Wulani don't want anything to do with the Mayitans and still seek blood, so there is that. The elders of our tribe may see this as an act of defiance or a chance to seek power if I move there and help them out too much. Also, I have a sense of responsibility here—"

"As you should," Liora interjected, her gaze not wavering. "But what about you, Tak? What do you want?"

Sighing deeply, "I haven't thought that far yet. But enough about me. How are we set for the winter?"

Liora shook her head slowly. "It's difficult to say. With the new brick homes and fireplaces, we're safer from the cold than before, but nature is unpredictable. We should focus on our well-being here before thinking of extending our responsibilities to another tribe."

"I agree," I nodded.

"Any ancestral wisdom guide you recently?" Liora asked.

I shook my head. "I've done what I could. From here on, it's up to us, living in the present, to make it work."

"How about my mother? Is Aisling still experimenting with new medicinal herb combinations?"

"She is, but it's not going well. Our supply of herbs has dwindled, so we can't afford too many trials," Liora replied, her face growing more serious.

I sighed again it felt like this was a problem that wouldn't be solved anytime soon. "That's why we need more people. More hands to till the fields, to harvest herbs, fruits, and vegetables."

"More people means more mouths to feed too," Liora reminded.

"Yes, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Especially if we can increase our food and medical supplies."

I gestured for Liora to follow me, and we headed towards the heart of our tribe. We left Maeve and Finn behind, who were still absorbed in their walk by the riverbank.

"Have you ever thought about dreams, Liora? About what you want to achieve before joining our ancestors?" I asked.

She paused, as if the question had opened up a realm she seldom visited. "I haven't really thought much about that. My focus has usually been on the present, on how I can help the tribe today."

"And what about you?" She looked at me with those emerald eyes, waiting for my response.

My gaze instinctively fell on Maeve in the distance. "I want to build a community, Liora. Something that's not limited to just our tribe. Something that can last, that our children can inherit."

"Why can't you just build that with what we have now?" She questioned, her eyes filled with genuine curiosity.

I sighed deeply. "It's not that simple. Building takes time. Crafting the tools we need takes time. We can't hasten the growth of our crops, and the winters are long. Even with more people, there's only so much we can do to speed things up."

She nodded, taking in my words. "Then do what you can now, Tak."

I smiled, appreciating her understanding. "I want to, but the ancestors have filled my head with so much wisdom. It's a double-edged sword—knowing so much makes it hard to focus on just one thing."

She laughed, her eyes twinkling. "You make it sound like a curse."

"A blessing and a curse," I corrected with a smile.

As we continued to walk back to the heart of the tribe, she suddenly asked, "Do you want to be chief someday?"

The question hung in the air between us, as if it carried the weight of all the possible futures that lay before me. But before I could answer, Liora added, "It's just that, with all this wisdom you have and the things you've done so far, I wonder if you are preparing for that path."

I looked into Liora's earnest eyes. "Being chief would allow me to bring more changes, yes, but the elders might not be so open to the kind of change I envision. And Mako, our current chief, is still very much alive and well. When he passes, it's the elders who'll decide the next chieftain, not me."

Liora placed her hand gently on my shoulder, a gesture filled with warmth and understanding. "In time, you will be, Tak."

I nodded. "In time, perhaps. But a lot can happen. None of us really know what path the ancestors have laid out for us. I could be gone tomorrow, and all this wisdom would be lost."

"Then it sounds like you've already made a decision," she said, reading between the lines.

"Maybe," I smiled, "but it won't be easy."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

I shook my head, my thoughts drifting to the myriad responsibilities and challenges that lay ahead. "Not really, but there is something I want to try. I want to gather the younger generation from both the Ashaya and Wulani tribes to talk about the Mayitans. If we can learn from one another, exchange culture and teachings, then maybe we can come to a better understanding. But it's a big 'if.'"

"And if that doesn't happen?" Liora asked, her eyes reflecting the gravity of what I was proposing.

I shrugged. "Then I don't know. What I do know is that if we don't try, then nothing will change."

"So what are you really planning to do, Tak?"

I took a deep breath, the weight of my thoughts evident in the air between us. "I might have to go away, Liora."

Her eyes widened slightly. "Would you accept Silma's offer then?"

"It's tempting. Being with the Mayitans would offer a new perspective , and the chance of being chief is better if I marry Silma. So the changes I'd like to make would not have much resistance. But I'd be leaving so much behind."

Liora considered this, her gaze intense but thoughtful. "Maybe this is the path the ancestors have laid out for you. You've been a bridge between our tribe and the Mayitans already. And Silma... she wants to marry you."

I looked at her, struck by her words. "I've never thought about it that way before. You could be right."

Never thought that everything I am doing now, all the things that has happened could be a path for me. Someone telling me that I need to go beyond just my home tribe.

 

2