Chapter 50: Fears
248 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I set the clay tablet down on my lap and looked up at Maeve. Concern was etched into her youthful face. Next to her, Junta was all ears. 

I couldn't help but glance back down at the clay tablet in my lap, its multiple rows neatly filled with black ink markings. The symbols for grain and fruit adorned the top, signifying what the tablet was keeping track of. I had already known a few ways to create ink of some kind, one was to use crushed berries and another way was to mix charcoal and water. We had plenty of charcoal to use because of our forge so after taking a bit and grinding it down I mixed it with a bit of water to create ink. It went well with both the clay and thin copper pens we used for writing.

Lifting my gaze, I took a moment to look at Maeve. She had truly blossomed from the inquisitive little girl I remembered into a young woman. Her auburn curls, more wild than ever, framed a face that had lost much of its childlike innocence but gained a sort of youthful wisdom. Her blue eyes, filled with the same curiosity that once led her to follow me around endlessly, now had a layer of responsibility in them.

"And the irrigation channels? Are they functional?" I inquired, pulling myself back to the present issue.

"They are, but the water isn't making it to some fields. The heat is causing the water to dry out faster than we thought," she informed me.

I sighed and nodded. "Well, we do have a surplus from previous harvests. The tablets have been incredibly useful in that regard."

Maeve smiled. "Your idea to use these tablets was smart, Tak. It's a lot easier to manage our supplies this way."

"True, but there's a limit to its use at the moment," I countered. "Many in the tribe can't count beyond ten."

Maeve's eyes met mine, and I could see her wheels turning, probably cooking up a new idea to impress me. I had to admit, my sister was growing into a formidable pillar of our tribe. 

Maeve's eyes brighten, a sign that an idea had sprung to life in her mind. "What if we use the river itself to bring the water directly to the fields?" 

I chuckled. "Isn't that what the channels are designed for?"

Maeve paused, the light in her eyes dimming for a second as she realized the truth in my words. "You're right, but isn't there another way to do this?"

I leaned back in my chair, my fingers tapping lightly on the armrest. "I've been working on something, though it's not ready  yet."

Her curiosity getting the better of her, Maeve asked, "What is it?"

"A water wheel," I replied.

Both Maeve and Junta looked puzzled, their faces reflecting a blend of confusion and curiosity. 

"In simple terms," I began, "imagine a large wheel, positioned in the river, with paddles attached to it. The river's current would turn the wheel, lifting water from the river to a higher point where it could then be directed toward our fields."

The room was silent for a moment as Maeve and Junta digested the concept. Then Maeve's eyes lit up once more, a smile spreading across her face.

"That sounds incredible, Tak. When can we start building it?"

"It's still in the planning stages," I warned. "There are many factors to consider, mostly design. I'm trying to figure out how to arrange the pieces so they do their job correctly." That was only part of it. This was my most complex project to date and I've been working on it by myself for years.

She nodded, her eyes still full of that youthful zest but tempered by an understanding of the complexities involved.

"But, once it is made it will bring us further into a better future." I said.

I could see the curiosity and questions already emerging in her mind.

"While the primary focus is to distribute water to the fields, it can be used for more than that. If we can take use of the rotation of the wheel we can use it to do simple task for us without the need for people. Such as grinding grain, or using the bellow for the forge. My main goal is to use the water wheel to move water throughout the village."

"Moving water from place to place is the easy part," I assured her, "and I've already started preparations for that."

Maeve's brows furrowed, her blue eyes clouded with confusion. "How so?"

"Do you remember the clay logs we have, the ones that are hollow in the center?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yeah, I remember joking about how they looked like logs."

I chuckled, "Those are pipes, and they're part of the plan. Once the water wheel is working, we'll use those pipes to channel water where it needs to go."

Her eyes widened with realization, then narrowed in thought. "So, the water flows through these...pipes, and we can direct it to specific areas in the village?"

"Exactly," I confirmed.

She took a moment to process it all. "When will this happen?"

"I can't say for sure," I admitted. "I'm still working on the design. It's not as simple as it sounds, but we're getting closer."

"Can I help?" Maeve asked, her voice tinged with both eagerness and a slight hesitation, as if she wasn't sure she could contribute something meaningful to such a complicated project.

I considered her question. The mechanics were complex, beyond the scope of what most in our village could comprehend. Yet Maeve had a keen mind and an innovative spirit. Even if she couldn't grasp the full design, her perspective could still prove invaluable.

"Yes," I finally answered, nodding. "While you may not understand all the complexities of the design, you might offer insights I haven't thought of. This will be good experiencefor you."

Maeve's face lit up, the glow of her enthusiasm filling the room. "I'll do my best, Tak."

"I know you will," I said.

Over the years Maeve has grown to be something special. I'd give myself all the credit if I could, but I knew that wasn't truly the case. Even with my help teaching her some of my knowledge she advanced on her own. Unlike Zulu who was interested in other matters.

They both knew more than majority of the tribe, but less than me. In time others would grow under them and sparks would emerge to bring our village into a prosperous future. However, until then they had me to guide them.

Junta leaned forward in his seat, catching my eye. His physique was lean and sturdy, a result of years spent in the hunt. A rugged face framed by a curtain of straight, dark hair. "It's enlightening to hear what you and Elder Maeve discuss," he said, "but why am I here?"

"Good question," I replied. "Have you been keeping track of the kills, as I instructed?"

He nodded. "Yes, Chieftain. I've kept a clay tablet for that purpose."

"Good," I acknowledged. "I wanted to let you know that our hunting speed will need to slow down. The local animal population needs time to recover, to repopulate. Our hunting parties will have to venture further out."

Junta nodded in understanding. "Makes sense, it's a cycle of life after all."

"During this period," I continued, "I'd like you to teach two of our children about your work."

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "I can do that, but why now?"

I looked at him squarely. "We're at a point where specialization is becoming more important for the tribe's survival. Your skills in butchery and understanding animal body's are vital. By teaching the younger generation, you're not just passing down a skill; you're ensuring the longevity of knowledge that keeps us alive."

Junta nodded slowly, the weight of my words settling in. "I never thought about it that way, but you're right. "

"You have knowledge that needs to be passed on. With each person sharing what they know to the younger generationit will give them a better chance at surviving. We may pass on, but our knowledgeand experience will live on throuh them."

Junta nodded again, this time with a sense of determination in his eyes. "I'll do it, Chieftain. I'll find two kids and start their lessons soon."

"Actually," I continued, "I already have some children in mind who've shown interest in hunting and nature. They could be promising students for you."

Junta's eyes lit up a bit. "Ah, saves me the trouble of choosing, then. Who did you have in mind?"

"A couple of youngsters: Lin and Dara. They're both agile and observant. Both are able to read, write, and do math. They are at the end of what is taught at school so now is the best time for them to learn something new."

"Ah, they are something from what I've heard. Mull talks about his son all the time so this will be somethingto talk about later on," Junta said.

"And Junta, you're not the only one who'll be taking on this responsibility," I added. "I'm also asking others in the tribe with specialized skills to start training some of the kids."

Junta nodded, "A tribe's strength is in its shared knowledge, I suppose."

"Exactly," I affirmed. "To keep track of progress, I'd like us to meet regularly. Say, every ten days? I want to hear about the children's advancements, any challenges you encounter, and how we might overcome them together."

"I can manage that. However,  I don't want it to stop me from doing what I enjoy. So I'd like it if we could keep the meetings short," Junta said.

"Thank you, I'll see what I can do," I said, standing up to signify the meeting's end.

Junta stood as well. I hoped the task I gave him was not that big of a burden, but it had to be done. Junta was the most skilled so under his guidancethe children should excel. His eyes didn't have a spark to them as I had imagined they would, but he'dcomplete the task I gave him.

"I'll do my best to pass on what I know, Chieftain." Junta said.

"I know you will," I said, nodding to him as he left the hall.

As I stood deep in thought, Maeve's voice gently broke my reverie. "Are you alright, Tak?"

I looked at her, a bit surprised. "What do you mean?"

"You're doing so much," she said. "Teaching in the morning, working on various projects, settling disputes, meeting with us elders, and still planning for the future. I don't know how you manage all of it."

I gave her a tired smile, touched by her concern. "It's a lot, yes, but I knew all of this before I took on this role. You don't have to worry about me, that'smy job."

"But don't you need a break? Maeve asked.

"You're right," I conceded. "I've planned for that and after a few meetings with Junta and the others I am going to have someone else lead the meetings. They can then pass on the informationto me if need be."

Maeve nodded, her eyes reflecting her understanding. "Maybe I can do it."

"Maybe, but arent you also busy? I think it is best to have someone else do it instead. We can'tdo everything Maeve even if we want to." I knew that better than anyone else. I tried, and it was difficult. I was mentally and physically exhausted wearing myself out but I eventually leaned on those around me. It was how we've managed to come so far.

Me and Maeve chatted for a bit longer, but the topic for tonight has already been discussed. I feared that we were in the middle of a drought, and if that was the case how severe would it be? Would it cause the river the dry up? So far it seemed endless but that could change with time. 

As I walked away from the Elders' hall, my thoughts were all over the place. Decisions to be made, projects to be planned—sometimes it felt like a mountain that grew taller each day. But as I approached our home, I felt the load lighten. The sight of my family always had that effect on me.

Liora and Rolo were standing a little distance from our home, their heads tilted back, gazing at the vast canvas of the night sky. Liora's fiery hair seemed almost luminescent in the soft moonlight, and her hazel eyes sparkled like the stars above her. Her hand rested gently on her belly, where our unborn child grew.

"What mysteries are you two pondering?" I asked, my voice tinged with playful curiosity.

Rolo's youthful face turned toward me, animated by an idea. "Father, do you know how many stars there are up there?"

I chuckled warmly. "I can't say that I do."

Rolo looked genuinely shocked, as though he had uncovered some inexplicable gap in my knowledge. "Really? You don't know?"

"But maybe you could be the one to find out," I suggested, kneeling down to be at eye level with him.

Liora's smile widened as she watched us, her eyes reflecting the soft glow of the night sky. "That would be something, wouldn't it?" she added.

"Is Serith asleep?" I asked, shifting my attention back to the present.

"Yes," Liora answered softly. "She was tired. It's been a long day for her."

"And Cu?" I pressed further. "Is he in there with her?"

Liora laughed a subdued, knowing laugh. "You're aware that she won't even consider sleeping without that wolf by her side."

The conversation shifted again as Rolo, ever the inquisitive one, piped up. "So, Father, when are we going hunting again?"

I sighed, "Not for a while, Rolo."

His young face fell, clearly disappointed. "Aw, but everyone liked the story I told about our last adventure. They thought it was great!"

I laughed heartily this time, relishing his enthusiasm. "I can only imagine how you told it. How about we continue the story tonight, and I'll tell you how I got this scar on my leg?"

Rolo's eyes lit up again, reinvigorated by the promise of a good story. Liora glanced at my leg, her eyes momentarily clouding with the memories of the danger that had brought that scar. But then she met my gaze, and I saw nothing but trust and love there.

"Alright!" Rolo said, practically jumping with excitement.

We sat down together, our little family huddled under the night sky, awash with stars. I felt the edges of my burdens soften, even if they didn't disappear entirely. Looking at Liora, her form softly rounded with the promise of new life, and then at Rolo, so full of untamed wonder for the world, I felt at peace.

4