Ancient Chapter 14
156 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14

The otherworlders and the others adventurers that fought were picking up the mana stones that the now dead monsters held within their corpses. It was a filthy task, they had to open their chests with knifes in order to retrieve the precious resources.

The victorious fighters were cheering, throwing jokes and teasing each other. It was a way to both forget what they were doing and celebrate their shining victory.

Some of them were praising their teammates, counting how many monsters they took down, fulfilling their bets by exchanging both coins and handshakes.

Some adventurers were telling again and again that they saw the new B-ranked adventurers, the team that called itself the “Otherworlders”. They were awestruck by their efficiency in actual battle and their unique way of fighting, putting forward a more than beautiful coordination. They were truly the rising star of the new generation.

And some others, not the fewest, and by far, were expressing the astonishment they felt while they saw the Dusk’s Angel, the one that took down half of the monsters and their leader, fighting wildly.

“What kind of magic was he using? I didn’t perceived any kind of elemental magic and it was cast far to quickly, even for a chantless incantation.” A rank C adventurer, a mage specializing in support and earth magic expressed his wonders.

Another adventurer, a close combat fighter that fought by striking the enemies with his magic-imbued fists, answered. “For me it wasn’t any kind of powerful magic, it was...” He was interrupted by an angry shout.

“There is no way it isn’t magic!”

“Let me finish, Gram. I think he simply used the mana manipulation that everyone can do. He seems to have mastered it at a degree unseen up till now.”

The mage, Gram, wondered. “This does ring a bell. But were did he found all the mana required to fight in this flashy way?”

“There is only one possible answer, his gift provides him with mana, one way or another.”

“… You must be right.”

**

Meanwhile, the otherworlders were deep in a bitter mood. Krone was wondering, speaking her thoughts loud. “Why did he leave without coming see us? He clearly recognized us though.”

Lyann answered her thoughts. “He was different. You know, I have great empathy and it further increased with my gift, and I can affirm that he is really Kyle. But the one we know. Well he is but isn’t.”

“What are saying, Lyann-kun?” Their former teacher, Gwyneth asked, confused.

“Well, he is the Kyle Dawnstar that died the same day as us, our classmate. But he changed a lot, much more than any of us. I don’t know what he went through, but it was like he lost something. Something that all humans should have.”

“What do you mean?” Lion asked, picking up a fist-sized mana stone.

“When he slaughtered all the ‘small fries’, he was bored, feeling almost nothing. And when he fought against this… Golgomath or whatever, he was enjoying himself.” Everyone looked in chock.

“There is no way someone who grew up in our old world would turn out like this!” Lion shouted, too disgusted by the thought.

“I think the girls remember better than me, but he was strange after this encounter with the thugs. I think he was holding back with all his might. This same will he used to never give up, with his familial issues. I believe that the strength that made him stand up and become the paternal figure for his sister after the death of their parents is the same he uses now, but twisted.”

“You mean, now he doesn’t care about the others, the “mobs” and is only concerned by those he hold really dear.” Gwyneth tried to sum it up.

“So Yukina-chan and his sister, Esper-chan?” Celes asked. Lyann nodded.

“Farah , you are awkwardly silent. Something’s wrong?” Gwyneth looked at her worriedly. She was usually full of energy but was now looking lost in thought.

“… Two things to tell the truth. I used Lord Appraisal on him, and what it showed was strange. His status was way too high, as if it isn’t one of this world. And it kept increasing at each passing second. His mana as well.” Everyone was chocked. “He had two titles, three if we include the [otherworlder] that everyone have. They were really strange too. The first is [Loved by a non-dead]. Yes yes, not undead. And the second was the strangest, [Child of Love and Hatred]. This title was golden. Which means it was given by a god. And secondly, I also saw the status of Yukina.”

“””What?!”””

“Yes, for a brief moment, she appeared and hugged him before fading away. So I think the ‘non-dead’ is her.”

“Just what in the flying hell did they endured?” Lyann was frozen. “To think we got it rough...”

However, Farah kept silent the fact that Kyle’s race wasn’t ‘Human’. It was ‘Divine monster’.

*****

“The life is coming back quickly in the city, it’s not even been an hour and yet, all the shops are reopening.” Kyle commented while passing the city gates with the guild master, Svanta.

“Yes, monster flood aren’t an unusual sight. However this one was bigger.” The guards around the city gate bowed their head when Kyle and Svanta crossed the entrance of Brook. “How about we discuss about what you asked around a cup of coffee? I know some good cafes.”

Kyle threw a strange gaze before nodding.

**

They were seated around a small table and sipping some coffee while Kyle asked. “So, can you tell me more about the ‘auction’?”

Svanta’s face tensed a bit. “You are straightforward huh.”

“I don’t have time to waste.”

“Just why are you attending to this auction anyway?”

“...”

“*Sigh*… There will be a lot of guards but, given your skills you shouldn’t have much difficulties anyway. Just keep it secret, this is confidential information. ...As you already know, it will be held in two days. Lots of slaves will be sold, of different ‘qualities’. God, I hate this word. The auction will occur in the basements of the red light district. I don’t have much more.”

“… Why did you fail to attack it the previous times? You know were this is after all.”

“They have a really powerful mage here. He hides his face under a dark hood but is really dangerous. Last time, he wiped half of the force I sent in seconds.”

“Compared to Golgomath, how is he?”

“Weaker in raw power but trickier. He uses gravity and spatial magic. Perhaps even time magic. I don’t know since it’s really difficult to notice.”

“I see.”

“But why?”

“I need some information from them.” Kyle gently touched his left cheek. “And I have to repay them something.” He grinned wildly under his mask.

Svanta stiffened seeing his eyes darkening and his pupils emitting a red, bloody light.

Kyle stood up and tossed some silver coins on the table. “It’s my treat.” He then left the cafe, leaving a guild master unable to probe into his feelings.

Next time, we will dive again in the depths of the Black Market. Prepare your popcorn and a carnevil mask!

Gwenis [Optimized Laziness]

6