Ancient Chapter 21
147 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21

The day after their meeting with the local lord, the otherworlders were discussing their future course of actions, taking in account the latest news. They were all in the main room of one of those suits made for adventurers teams. Their rather high contribution in the previous incident lead them to get such magnificient room in one of the most renowned inns of Brook.

Assuming her role as a former teacher, and as one of the leader of their group, Gwyneth Fox opened the discussion. "I don't know for you but I have some kind of dilemma concerning Kyle-kun's behavior. He seems to avoid us, or to not care about his former classmates."

For once, Lyann kept his meatheaded side of him back and spoke seriously. "For me, the choice is obvious. Each and everyone of us, even those born as commoners were able to regroup at the Swordhold's Academy thanks to our abilities. We were able to emotionally support each others in this world even though it's really different from what we knew. Kyle-kun doesn't look like some weakling at all." He scoffed before resuming. "So the only reasonable explanation for his absence is that he was somehow held back by something or someone. In my opinion, we have to look after him and help him get out of his emotional pinches."

Krone added, her usually sloppy eyes fully opened. "You seem to forget that there was clearly Yukina-chan by his side. He probably has the strongest emotional support possible already."

Haedrig asked, doubtful. "But, in this case, why does he go all murder-hobo?"

Farah butted in. "Concerning this, I have an hypothesis. Remember when his parents died in this accident, leaving him and his little sister pretty much by themselves?" Everyone heavily nodded. "I don't for you, but I never saw him break a tear the whole time. And do you know why?" Everyone was suspended at her lips, waiting for the revelation. "He once told me that the world was painfully boring for him and that he understood pretty early something that he made one of the cornerstones of his life. Everyone needs something to bring colors to ones' world. Wether it is a hobby or an interest for something. For him, it was -and I think it hasn't changed- his family and later Yukina-chan. What brings colors to his world are his loved ones. And therefore he will do everything to protect them."

Lion butted in. "So you mean, since Kyle-san has Yukina-chan right now, he wants to go back to his sister?"

Farah nodded. "And considering that he just spared us a glance, checking if we were safe during the fight against this monstruosity, we aren't enough to incitate him to stay in this world."

Saryn, the magical expert expressed her doubts. "Considering the insane amount of mana he has, I wouldn't be surprised if he had enough to go back. The issue lies on where can he find the magic formula to go back home."

Sudenly, Lyann got one of his rare flashes of understanding. "Wait, the magic circle that drained him, it wasn't an ordinary one, or else he would have broken free long ago... So... AH! By seeking the black market, he wants to meet the guy that drew it, counting of his genius in term of magic circles." Everyone looked at him, utterly shocked. "Errm, y'know I'm not only a muscle-brain, I can use my skull for something else than headbutts..."

Celes asked, wondering. "But how can Kyle-kun make someone obviously antipathic to him to help him?" Theo others looked a bit pitifully at her. "W-what? Did I say something stupid?"

Gwyneth chose carefully her words. "He... doesn't necessarily need the agreement of said genius."

"...Ah."

The former teacher clasped suddenly her hands. "Well, guess we know what we will do from now on."

"Follow him." [Celes]

"And help him." [Krone]

"Because we are his classmates and friends." Logan, wo hasn't spoken up 'till now concluded the meeting.


Four days after having left Brook, Kyle and Yukina were looking up to the high rampart surrounding the capital Swordhold while holding hands. Well, it was more like their hands were passing through each other but it didn't mattered much to them.

Kyle raised an eyebrow. "I feel some resistance where you touch me, are you growing a new body?"

"Yes, thanks to your mana supply and even though it isn't mine I'm slowly building my body back in shape. Will take a long time though."

"No need to rush things, simply being with you fills myself to the brim." Yukina's semi-transparent figure blushed slightly. Kyle spoke again. "I will go talk to the guards before entering the capital. I think it would be better if youmade yourslef discreet for now."

Yukina smiled. "Guess having a specter-like figure with you will not ease things hehe." Her whole body looked like it was absorbed by the bloodstain on Kyle's left cheek.

Kyle presented himself to the soldiers guarding the main gate of Swordhold and greeted them. "Good afternoon, Mr. Soldier."

"Good afternoon to you mister. Do you have any Id allowing us to identify you?"

Kyle pulled out his adventurer's card and showed it to the guard. The later's eyes popped comically when he saw who he was dealing with.

"Your reputation preceded you, Dusk's Angel. You may enter the gate."

Kyle was about to leave the chat at it but suddenly remembered something and stopped on his tracks before turning back to the guard. "Do you have any recomendations for a good inn not far from the center of the town? It would be preferable if the room prevented eavesdropping and all. I don't want to be permanently on guard."

The guard pondered a minute. "You can go to the Sleeping Giant. Just walk straight to the castle, you can't miss the sign Kyle-dono."

"Well thanks, good luck on your shift." Kyle left, heading straight to the aforementioned inn.

The town was rather lively, spring was gradually giving way to summer and evey citizen was in the mood of renewal and celebration. 'I kinda want to show this to Esper-chan now'. He briefly shooked his head before speeding up to the inn.

After opening the massive entrance door of the Sleeping Giant and beeing greeted by a clear door bell, Kyle caught a glimpse of the tavern. it was well lit with a lot of smokeless candles and plenty of windows letting through the sunrays. Everything, going from the chairs to the walls was in shades of brown, amber and yellow. A tiny girl was dancing between the tables and serving pints of differents drinks. Her moves clearly denoted her experience at doing this. At the bar, a beardy man, shaped like a bear was wiping a mug that looked tiny in comparison with his hands. His voice was low and as warm as his inn. "What can I do for you young lad?"

Kyle was surprised for a second. "It's been a while since someone called me like that." He chuckled. "Some kind soldier on duty told me that this inn was rather welcoming so I came. Must say this guy has a keen eye, your tavern is a heartwarming sight."

The owner of the inn smiled brightly. "You will have to compliment my daughter for the decoration of the inn, she is really something."

"I would like to spend say... seven nights for now. How much is it?"

"It's ten silver coins per night. Meals are included but you will have to pay extra fees if you want to take a bath."

Kyle remembered he haven't washed since he left Brook after the slave auction slaughter. "Now that I think of it, a bath couldn't do me much harm in my actual state. Well then seven nights and a bath please."

The bearded owner smiled. "Thanks for your patronage kind sir, your bath will be ready soon. By the way I'm Ellie, the owner of this inn."

"I'm Kyle Dawnstar, nice to meet you." While they were shooking hands, Ellie suddenly realized that the rumors about the new rising star of the adventurers guild was actually founded. And he could even say "firmly founded" judging by the earthshaking handshake he got. He was used to shake a bit hard the hands of the newcomers adventurers to assess their character.

To say the least, he wasn't disappointed in what he saw... well, felt might be more accurate.

Hy guys and girlzz, Gwenis' back from his two weeks hibernation with the beginning of a new arc!

I hope you enjoyed your holidays and may thine wishes come true in this year that will see the advent of a new war. Well, i'm just riding on the current memes, don't mind me.

By the way, Dark Souls 3 is obviously hard. But man, never been so close to blow a nut from joy after killing a boss.

Well, as always, if you feel like it, feel free to leave a comment, a little heart or even perhaps a review?

Anyway, I wish you a happy new year. May whatever being you belive in bless you with bliss!

6