Striking a Deal
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You saved my life.”

“No shit,” the shorter man spat. “Isn’t that what I just said?”

Adrian sheathed his sword. “But, why?”

“No, I’m going to ask the questions.” He stepped towards him. “Why did you have that relic? Where did you get it from?”

“Why does it matter? Are you an expert on the Alchemists or something?”

He frowned. “It’s odd that not only did you have access to something like that, but you knew to come here to place it. How?”

Adrian shrugged nonchalantly. “It’s not that odd, especially since you seem to know so much about it as well.”

“Why are you talking like that?” He lifted an eyebrow. “Are you even from here?” The blond’s sudden rigidness seemed to answer that question. “Ah, that would make more sense. Your Venish is way too formal for a Venwickin, especially one from Elden Town, and that accent...definitely not from around here.”

A slight pink filled Adrian’s cheeks. He’d tried to fix his speech, he really had, but his royal Nebrasian studies held him back with an iron grip. “What does it matter where I’m from? All I can tell you is I was given the relic by someone; I followed their instructions that led me here, and that’s all I know. What do you know about this place? How do I make the device work without it attacking me?”

The man exhaled quickly. “How the fuck should I know? I just saw you outside with that relic, then followed only to see you stupidly sacrificing yourself.”

“How did you know the relic would kill me?” The blond placed a hand on his hip. “You could have just let me die.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t,” he said, ignoring the first question, “because I don’t believe in letting innocents die.”

“You think I’m innocent?”

He shrugged. “Not sure, but I wouldn’t want that on my conscience if you were. Now, next question.” He stood right in front of Adrian now, looking up at him with a scowl. “Who gave you the relic and the instructions?”

“I can’t tell you that. Why do you know so much about the Alchemists?”

“I can’t tell you that either.”

Adrian sighed. “Then we are at an impasse. Maybe it’s better if we go our separate ways, since you’re unwilling to share anything useful with me.” He moved as if to walk away when the man drew the dual swords from his hips.

“Not happening. You’re hiding something. I know it.”

Adrian clenched his jaw, eyes darting to his shoulder bag that was lying on the ground away from him. The man followed the gaze over to it, and Adrian drew his own sword. “You’re hiding something too,” he said quickly, side stepping so the bag was now behind him, “so why are you making such a fuss?”

“Cooperate and you won’t get hurt, Hon.”

Blue eyes glared. “Who says I’m the one who will get hurt?” 

Adrian lunged forward, and the man caught his blade with one of his own, swinging his second sword in a wide arc which the blond ducked under just in time. Adrian slowly stepped back as they fought, nearing where his bag lay, keeping the man’s attention on his quick, flashy sword movements.

“You’re really making this hard on yourself, you know that right?” This stranger was obviously very skilled with the blade as he effortlessly blocked and swung his swords seemingly independently of each other. 

“You’re the one who drew on me,” Adrian breathed out between swings. “How is this my fault?” 

“You should know when you’ve been outmatched.”

“Am I outmatched?” Adrian crouched to the ground, picking up a handful of sand that had blown into the chamber and quickly tossed it into the man’s eyes.

Ack!” He slammed his eyelids shut, stumbling backwards as Adrian snatched the bag and threw it over his shoulder before sprinting up the stairs. “You fucker!” his opponent shouted below him.

He dashed up the last of the steps, glancing behind him as he sprinted away, only to crash into a massive chest. Falling to the ground painfully, he looked up at a tall, broad shouldered, black man with a voluminous black afro, full lips, brown, nearly black eyes wearing clothes that were a size too small for him.

Before Adrian could really register what was happening, large hands seized him by the shoulders, lifting him easily up off his feet, turning him, and pinning his hands behind him. He quickly realized struggling was useless against such a strong grip, so he simply stayed put, his chest heaving up and down.

“Oh, wow, Andre, look at his hair!” someone exclaimed next to him. 

He turned his head to see an androgynous person wearing a corset over a men’s shirt, with men’s puffy pants, and a soft bonnet with a feather in it. They had bobbed, mousy brown hair with bangs and brown eyes, and they stood slightly shorter than Adrian. They had light brown skin and wore a pair of metal-rimmed goggles around their neck.

The person walked over to stand right in front of him, looking him over.

“What, never seen a blond before?” the man holding him named Andre asked. Adrian could feel the voice rumble against him.

They gasped. “Oh, he has blue eyes! I’ve never seen blue eyes before. Thought they were a myth.”

“Let me go,” Adrian said firmly. 

“Well, well, well,” a voice rang out, and Adrian swallowed as the man whose eyes he’d just thrown debris into, ascended the last step of stairs. “I see you’ve met Andre and Zuri.” Zuri stepped aside so that Adrian’s opponent could approach. “Oh, how rude of me. My name is Jacques. What’s yours?”

Out of habit and because his breeding simply willed him to, Adrian immediately responded, “It’s Ian.”

“Well, Ian, I think we got off on the wrong foot.” 

“And whose fault is that?”

Jacques chuckled lightly. “You really think you’re hot shit, don’t you, Sweetheart?” He took the bag from Adrian’s shoulder. “Just tell me who gave you the relic and why, and we can be over with this encounter. I’m sure you have places to be.”

“I told you, I can’t tell you that, and why do you care this much about it?”

Zuri leaned an arm on the leader’s shoulder. “Jacques, I can’t help but agree. This does seem a bit excessive, don’t you think? You broke the relic anyway, so what does it matter?”

“You don’t understand, Zuri,” he snapped, shrugging them off him. “Someone who knew too much about the Alchemists gave him not just a relic, but specific instructions leading him to this location. Don’t you see how fucking problematic that is?”

“Why is it problematic?” Adrian asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I don’t think he knows very much,” Andre added, ignoring Adrian’s question. “Probably just another tourist trying to find meaning in old junk. I think you’re digging too much, Jacques, and besides, I thought you’d let all this stuff go.”

“I had!” he shouted. “I did, but this is all a bit too big for my liking.” He folded his arms, looking away. “You’re all missing the point.”

“Missing what point, Jacky, dear?” a sing-song voice rang out, and Adrian sighed as yet more strangers showed up. This was not how he wanted things to go.

A sword was placed against Jacques’s throat by a large man with an eyepatch as more rough looking men stepped into the pavilion, surrounding the little group. 

The voice from before belonged to a gorgeous woman with unnatural, cherry red hair. She approached Jacques, placing her finger under his chin, and lifting it. Her skin was tawny brown and she wore a tight, low-necked, revealing red top and long, baggy pants that went down to her ankles. Her hair was covered with a small hat and her brown eyes glanced amusedly down at this man who was slightly shorter than her.

Andre released Adrian, but the freedom was short lived as one of this woman’s men now held him, and in a much crueler grip at that.

“Looks like I’ve finally caught you,” she said, and Adrian noticed she wore a bright red mace on her right hip. 

“Carnadine,” Jacques spat. “Kind of pathetic how you seem to have nothing better to do than follow me around everywhere.”

“Hm?” Carnadine mused, grabbing his cheeks roughly with one hand. “Don’t get me wrong, you’re very cute, Jacky, but I can’t bare my own existence when someone of your bloodline lives. It’s against everything I am.”

“What makes you think I won’t use my bloodline right now?”

Adrian furrowed his eyebrows, unsure what they were referring to.

“Oh, you won’t,” she said decidedly. “You don’t have enough juice right now. Used it all earlier, didn’t you? Damn fool.”

He glared at her. “So, what are you going to do with me?”

“All in due time, my pet. You and your friends will be getting the execution you deserve tomorrow morning.”

“Now hold on,” Adrian interjected. “Surely, you don’t mean me too?” She looked over at him curiously. “I have nothing to do with them. Release me at once.”

She chuckled, pushing Jacques aside to approach the king. “You’re a confident young thing, aren’t you?” Her fingers touched strands of his hair as she spoke. “And you have such a beautiful way of speaking. I can find other uses for you, fair starling.” She stepped back, waving her hand. “Take them away, boys.”

Adrian bit his lip as they were dragged away. This was not at all how he’d thought this trip would play out.

 

ϟ ϟ ϟ

 

Adrian was roughly thrown into a large, underground cell along with Jacques, Andre, and Zuri. The iron door was slammed shut and the blond quickly stood, walking over, and grasping the bars in frustration. 

“Well, congratulations, Jacques,” Zuri said, throwing up their hands as they paced the cell. “This is all your fault.”

“What?” Jacques’s voice cracked in protest as he got in their face, standing a half a head shorter than the other. Adrian noticed the short man had a metal collar fastened tightly around his neck while no one else did.

“You just had to go fucking overboard with this Ian guy and expose our location. Was it worth it?”

“Don’t blame me for this! How the hell could I have known she was so close on our trail? Andre, back me up.”

The black man was sitting against the wall, his arms folded. “I think we should have left earlier. We knew Carnadine was following us, and that blond doesn’t seem to know anything useful.”

“You know I’m right here,” Adrian said, leaning against the metal door with his arms folded.

“Is this because he’s attractive, Jacques?” Zuri asked, ignoring the king.

Jacques made a strangled noise in the back of his throat, and Adrian unfolded his arms with a bewildered look on his face. 

“What? No!” the leader shouted, his face turning slightly red. “It’s because he’s hiding something. In his bag, he has something. I saw the way he looked at it. He knows more about the Alchemists than he’s letting on.”

The three looked over at Adrian who glanced away a little too sheepishly.

“Hm, maybe he’s onto something,” Zuri said, approaching the blond thoughtfully. “You’re looking awfully guilty, Sir.” They stepped into his personal space and Adrian felt his hands begin to sweat.

“I don’t know what you mean,” he mumbled, barely able to look them in the eyes. He’d always been terrible under interrogation. Antoine hardly had to pry before he’d catch him in a lie just as this person was doing. 

“Yeah. You’re suspicious alright,” they said, grinning before giving him a light pat on the cheek.

“We’ll help you get out of here if you just tell me what I want,” Jacques said, walking over and gently pushing Zuri out of the way. “The plan isn’t to hurt you.”

Adrian put a hand on his hip. “What makes you think you can even get yourselves out of this cell? I’d say we’re all equally out of luck here.”

The shorter man clenched his jaw. “We’re working on it, so don’t come crying to me later when we bust out of here without you.”

“I won’t,” he said evenly, turning to look out the bars again.

Jacques made a loud tsk sound before leaving his side to sit next to Andre. Zuri followed, crouching in front of the two men.

“So, what is our plan, Jacques?” they asked in a softer tone, though Adrian could still hear every word. 

“Can’t you just recharge?” Andre offered.

“No,” he breathed out defeatedly, pointing to his neck. “That’s why they have me collared.”

“Shit,” Zuri hissed.

Adrian perked up, stepping towards them. “What’s that for anyway?” They all looked over at him, Jacques shooting him a dirty look. “The rest of us didn’t get one. What makes you so different?”

“None of your business, Sweetheart,” the shorter man spat.

“Is it for the same reason that woman is chasing after you?” 

The silence was answer enough.

“She’s an assassin,” Zuri finally said, “from the Ichor Spiller Clan. They usually just call themselves Spillers, but she’s been chasing Jacques most of his life. Wants him dead.”

“To end his bloodline or whatever?” Adrian offered.

“That’s enough Zuri,” Jacques cut them off darkly. “You’re awfully chatty, Ian. What about you? Why are you all the way out in Elden Town? You obviously aren’t from here.”

“Judging by his accent,” Zuri chimed in, “I’d say he’s mid-Elderian.”

Adrian flushed as they all looked at him again. This thing about his speech; he was never going to hear the end of it. “Um,” he murmured, rubbing the back of his neck. “Yeah, that’s right. I went on a quest to find something, or more of learn more about someone.”

“Who?” Zuri asked bluntly.

“No one.”

Jacques rolled his eyes. “So specific.”

“That’s all I can really say,” Adrian said. “I have my reasons for keeping my secrets, same as you.”

The shorter man folded his arms. “That’s fair, I guess.” He bit his lip like the little acknowledgement was killing him on the inside.

“Then we’ll leave it at that.”

There was a pause.

“Oh, damn,” Zuri mused, “Never seen you let someone else have the last word, Jacques.”

“Shut the fuck up,” he snapped, and Andre joined Zuri in laughing. “If I get out of here. I’m ditching you two.”

A large hand was placed on his shoulder. “You would never,” Andre boomed. “You like us too much.”

He frowned. “Yeah, whatever.”

Adrian watched the way they interacted. He could tell they were close, and a note of jealousy filled his chest. If there was one thing he’d learned since leaving Nebrasia, it was that he hated being alone, and though they were merely strangers, he wished to be a part of this group or any group for that matter.

Looking out the bars again, he let his mind wander as the other three continued to talk in hushed tones. Maybe there was some way he could get them to trust him, then perhaps Jacques would open up about what he knew of the Alchemists. Now that the gem key was broken, Jacques was his only lead. He thought back to the journal. Even if he did get the backup key all the way in Mermortiva, it would still open up and try to kill him again once placed in the arch. He needed more information, but how to get it?

He stood like that against the bars, completely unmoving the way he always did when he was lost in thought. He’d spent many a night like this in Nebrasia, just staring off into space for hours, thinking of solutions for his country, but now it was solutions for himself, which was admittedly new and odd. 

He jumped slightly when Zuri’s hand gently fell on his shoulder. “We’re going to get some shut eye for now,” they said in a whisper. “There’s only three small bunks, but Andre said he doesn’t mind sleeping on the ground.”

There was a glint of surprise in his eyes as he blinked down at them. “Oh, no, I’ll be quite fine here. I’m not going to sleep anyway, plus I’m sort of a night owl.”

They smiled at him, the warmth in it tugging at his often-ignored heart. “Me too! I’m always up later than the others, working on projects.”

“What kinds of projects?” He was genuinely curious.

“I’m sort of an inventor. I like to build and fix things. I’m the engineer that keeps everything well-oiled and running.” They punched him hard on the shoulder. “The brains of the group, if you will.”

He rubbed his arm absentmindedly where it’d been hit. “That’s impressive. Where did you learn to do all that?”

They shrugged. “Figured it out. Not many other ways to do it when you grow up on the streets.”

“You grew up without a home?”

“That’s right. Jacques and Andre took me in when I was only thirteen. I consider them my real family.”

“Did Andre and Jacques also grow up on the streets?”

They shook their head. “No. They’re brothers, but not by blood. Grew up together in the same house, in Jacques’s parents’ house. They found Andre wandering around all alone when he was only four years old and adopted him.”

“Do you all live with his parent’s then?”

They laughed. “No. Jacques’s parents are fucked up pieces of shit. When he was sixteen, he left home, and Andre went with him.”

“What did his parents do?”

They blinked, then placed a hand over their mouth. “Uh, it’s not really my place to say.” They smacked their own cheek with their hand loudly. “Jacques keeps telling me I’m too chatty. Well, there’s the evidence.” They shrugged, looking back at him. “If you change your mind about the bed, just let me know.” 

“I will. Thanks, Zuri.”

They smiled again then bounded away.

This group was much nicer than he anticipated. Adrian just needed to find some way out of this cell and then maybe he could smooth them all over to let him join.

A few hours passed, and the others were fast asleep while Adrian continued to stand and think. 

He blinked out of his thoughts when he heard two guards quietly chatting nearby. He pressed his ear between two metal bars and closed his eyes as if this would help him hear better.

Thankfully they were loud enough he caught every word. 

“Have you heard the rumors?” one of them said, then made a glug sound which Adrian could only guess was him drinking from something. “The king of Nebrasia was spotted in Venwick.”

The other man sputtered on his drink, and Adrian’s heart sank. “W-what? The king of Nebrasia all the way out here? So, that’s where he went traveling to, but why Venwick of all places?”

“Odd, isn’t it?” the first man’s voice sounded. “My business partner, Benard, he’s the captain of New Minoka. He was running the water post a month ago, and what do you know, the king threatened him at sword point. Told him to lower his prices. His whole operation was shut down. Imagine that. A little place like New Minoka visited by the most powerful man in Elderian.”

“What do you think he was doing there? The royals almost never leave their castles, much less their own country.”

“Beats me, but that was only a month ago. What if he’s still in Venwick? I’d hate to end up like Benard.”

“Wouldn’t the king make a good hostage though? He’s the richest man in Elderian. Sounds like a lifetime of prosperity to me.”

“Only you would be stupid enough to think of doing such a thing. The king has powerful servants and followers. Holding him hostage would be a death sentence. The entire royal Nebrasian army would be chasing you down. It’s for the best if you never cross paths with him.” The first man took a big swig and there was silence. 

Adrian turned from the bars, his mind going a million miles a second. The guards had begun talking again, but he tuned them out as he stared at the ground, thinking.

 

ϟ ϟ ϟ

 

The king awoke sitting on the floor with his back against one of the stone walls, his arms wrapped around his knees and his head leaning against the iron bars. He had no idea when he’d finally fallen asleep, but it had in no way been a reasonable hour.

“Oh good, you’re awake,” came Jacques’s voice as the shorter man approached him. “Not sure how you fell asleep like that…”

Adrian slowly stood, painfully stretching his rigid limbs. “I’ve definitely had better rest before,” he admitted, and Jacques looked almost, was it guilty?

“Uh,” the shorter man mumbled, his fingers absentmindedly finding a long strand of black hair from his ponytail. “Thanks, for letting us have the bunks. You didn’t have to do that, especially since I’m the one who got you into this mess.”

He blinked in surprise. “Oh. It was nothing.”

“Jacques,” came Zuri’s voice, “did you just admit you were wrong?”

“I never said I was wrong,” he snapped back. “Just that it’s because of me he’s here in the first place.”

“Right,” they teased. “Totally different.”

“Shut it, Zuri.” He walked away to join the others, leaving Adrian alone by the bars again.

“So, what’s our plan?” Andre said as the three banded together again. “How are we getting out of here, Boss?” 

Jacques shook his head. “Still working on the details. We need to get this collar off first and then—”

He was interrupted by a heavy metal door opening somewhere in the room, and two guards walked forward.

“Time’s up fellas,” one of them said, and Adrian recognized his voice as the voice of the first guard from last night. “Carnadine doesn’t have all day. Wants this execution underway. Tie up their hands, Lucas.”

The other man nodded, pulling out long, coarse cord while the other began unlocking the door.

“Shit,” Jacques hissed as his team stood behind him with equally stressed expressions.

“I’d like an audience,” Adrian said commandingly, one hand on his hip, “with Carnadine.”

The man named Lucas laughed. “Don’t be ridiculous—”

“Unless you’d like to end up like your good friend, Benard.” He looked to the other guard whose face went pale as he seemed to register what Adrian was saying.

“What are you talking about—” Lucas began.

“Y-you’re,” the other man interrupted, voice shaking. “You’re—”

“That’s right,” Adrian said, expression steely. “Now about that audience with your upstanding employer.” They exchanged glances. “Don’t keep me waiting.”

The first man stepped forward, moving the key already in the lock and swinging the metal door forward. Jacques and his group watched disbelievingly as Adrian was led out of the cell, the door closing behind him. 

As they left the room he shot a glance at his cellmates, giving a small nod as if that would explain anything. 

The guards took him up several flights of stone steps and down a few hallways before they stopped in front of two large, red double doors. 

The first man knocked. “Ma’am, there’s someone to see you.”

“Let them in already,” the woman’s voice rang out. “I have a schedule to keep.”

Quickly opening the doors and walking in, Adrian trailed behind until he was standing right in front of a large wooden desk. Carnadine sat behind it in a luxurious crimson armchair, her glare deadly.

“Why did you bring the prisoner? I’m supposed to be having an execution right about now.”

“Please, Ma’am, he insisted—” Lucas began, but the other interrupted him.

“He claims to be the king of Nebrasia.”

She stood quickly. “What?” Her stare was on Adrian now.

“The king was spotted in New Minoka just a month ago. It can’t be a coincidence.”

“Have you any proof?” she demanded, directing her words to the king.

They all looked at the blond man who hadn't spoken once during this encounter. He slipped the wooden ring off his left hand while approaching her, lifting it up so she could clearly see the Nebrasian royal seal tattooed on his finger. 

The woman blanched as Lucas let out a gasp. Both guards dipped into bows.

She collapsed into her chair, clenching her jaw, her eyes wide. “W-what is it you want, Your Majesty?”

He folded his arms. “Release me and my three cellmates, and I expect you to return all our things as well if you don’t want the entire Nebrasian military on your heels.” He brought such a strong presence to that room. The guards cowered in fear, and Carnadine sat still as a statue as she watched him with terror filled eyes. 

“Even…even Jacques?” she asked helplessly.

“Did I stutter?” 

She gulped. “I’ll oblige every request, but I must inform you, that man…he’s dangerous. More dangerous than you could ever know. Heed my warning. He’s not to be trusted.”

“What do you mean dangerous?”

“He’s from an ancient family. An ancient family who betrayed and killed our people centuries ago.” She spoke with venom, her eyes filled with hate. “I will do whatever it takes to end his life.”

“You will do no such thing on my watch.” He stepped forward, hands on his hips, his stoic expression unmoving. “As long as I am around him and his group, you will not touch a hair on his head, unless you want an early execution. Do I make myself clear?”

She bawled her hands into fists but nodded. “I understand, Your Highness.”

“Good. Now release them at once.”

 

ϟ ϟ ϟ

 

The iron door swung open, and Adrian stood rather smugly with his arms folded in front of the three dumbfounded faces staring back at him.

“What the fuck?” Jacques exclaimed as Lucas approached him, beginning to unlock the metal collar around his neck.

“Now we’re even,” Adrian said.

“What?”

“You saved me from that relic, and now I’m saving you from an untimely hanging.”

To Adrian’s surprise, Zuri ran up and threw their arms around his neck. He froze at the touch. The two guards looked at them wearily, probably since touching the king without prior consent could be cause for execution in extreme cases, but Zuri didn’t know who he was, neither did the other two and that’s how Adrian wanted to keep it. 

“You’re so cool,” Zuri cried out. “Jacques, can we keep him?”

“You could have just left us behind,” the leader said with suspicion in his tone. “Why didn’t you?”

“I want to join your group,” he stated.

“What?” Jacques and Andre said at the same time while Zuri began to cheer.

“Woohoo!” they squeezed him even tighter, and Lucas shook his head at them, muttering something around the lines of, “Your funeral.”

“I…” Adrian began, not rehearsing beforehand what he was going to say. “I want to learn more about the Alchemists if you’ll oblige me. If anything, I just need someone to take me to the other side of Venwick for something. Will you have me?”

“Yes, yes, yes,” Zuri said, jumping up and down, arms still around his neck.

Jacques approached him, pulling Zuri off. “Listen, let’s get out of here first and we’ll discuss it later.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

 

Once they were out of Carnadine’s stronghold with all their things returned to them, including Tulipe with all Adrian’s supplies still strapped onto her, they began walking back towards the city, Jacques leading the way. 

No one said a word even when they made it deeper into Elden town. After a while, they approached an Inn, tying up Adrian’s donkey and silently slipping through a small door in an alleyway. 

Adrian peered around a dimly lit tavern where people sat on little benches crowded around small tables, drinking, eating, and chatting. He looked away when he caught sight of a couple making out against a wall in the corner. The atmosphere was very different to anything he’d ever been exposed to, and he wasn’t sure how he felt about it.

“Table for four, Alphy,” Jacques yelled at the bartender, who in turn, gave a quick acknowledgement of his head while grinning.

“Sure thing, Jacques. Nice to see ya. I’ll have your favorites ready.”

“Throw in an ale and a meal for the blond, won’t you?” he added, not looking at Adrian.

“You got it!”

“Oh, really, I couldn’t impose—” Adrian began.

Jacques grimaced. “Shut up and sit down, Sweetheart. I already ordered it.”

The king blinked at the command, then sat at the table with the others. 

“I did not think Venwickins had access to ale,” Adrian said after a moment, his spirits lifting slightly knowing he was getting alcohol.

“Oh, it used to be frowned upon to drink any kind of strong drink a hundred years ago,” Zuri said, playing with a silver spoon in one hand, turning it back and forth so it reflected the lights in the room. “Venwickins started importing ale from Nebrasia however, and it was all over after that. It’s been a hit ever since.”

“Thank the stars,” Andre said. “I don’t know what I’d do without my ale.”

They chuckled. “That’s for sure.”

Jacques leaned forward then, not sharing his companions' easy manner and glaring across the table. Blue eyes meet brown. “Let’s cut to the chase already. What’s your angle, Ian?” he demanded. “How did you get Carnadine to release us? There’s no amount of money that would prevent her from finally having her glorious execution.”

Adrian blinked to the side. “I’m just very persuasive.”

“Cut the shit. I want answers.”

He placed his hands under his chin thoughtfully, his eyes trailing back over to the spoon Zuri was still turning. “I can’t tell you that.”

Jacques clenched his fists, quickly exhaling. “Fine. Can you tell me again why you want to join my group and with more details this time, ‘cause I need one hell of a convincing answer if you want to sway my decision.”

He considered him for a moment. “I need a backup relic, to replace the one you broke.”

Jacques furrowed his eyebrows. “The one that almost killed you?”

He nodded. “There’s one located in Mermortiva. Can you take me there?”

“Mermortiva?” He scoffed at that. “That is clear on the other side of Venwick. Why the fuck do you need something that almost killed you that badly?” Adrian bit his lip, looking to the side again. “Right.” Jacques sighed. “You can’t tell me that. What makes you think it’s in Mermortiva anyway?”

“I read it somewhere.”

“Does this happen to be where you read it?” Zuri butted in, and Adrian’s eyes widened when he saw his journal in their lap as Zuri flipped through the pages.

“Hey, give that back!”

“Check it out, Jacques,” they said, letting him look over their shoulder. “It’s all in ancient Elden.”

“Let me see.” He took it, flipping through the pages then stopped at the image of the gem key. “Can you read ancient Elden?”

Adrian answered, “No,” too quickly.

Zuri gasped. “You totally can! That’s amazing! Jacques maybe he could translate the—”

“Zuri,” he cut them off, and they clamped their mouth shut. He sighed. “How do you know ancient Elden? Does this mean you speak modern Elden as well?” The blond glanced sideways, saying nothing. “Interesting. You’re one well-read mid-Elderian if you can speak three languages.”

Adrian could speak more than three, but he wasn’t about to admit that.

“What does ancient Elden even sound like?” Zuri asked, expression curious. “Say something. Oh! Read this word.” They snatched the book out of Jacques’s hand and reached over the table, thrusting the book into Adrian’s face while pointing at some text.

He read the word aloud, a guttural sound escaping his throat.

Zuri made a disgusted face. “Ick! No wonder it’s a dead language. Sounds awful.”

“What did you even say?” Jacques asked.

Adrian considered them. “I said, ‘the Alchemists’ in ancient Elden.” 

Jacques considered him. “How are you able to read this?”

“I can’t say,” he answered, and the leader let out another sigh. “Can I have the journal back? It’s important to me.”

Zuri closed the book, handing it over across the table. Adrian quickly tucked it back into his shoulder bag. He realized then that Zuri had used the trick Boden taught him, by distracting him with the spoon with one hand, while robbing him blind with the other. They’d been so quick. How did he not notice?

“Wait, so let me get this straight,” Jacques said, hand under his chin. “You want us to take you to the middle of fucking nowhere for this relic that you don’t even know how it works, because you want to, do I have this right, learn more about a person who sent you on this quest with very little instructions, some of which are in ancient Elden which you can for some reason read?”

He blinked. “Yeah, actually. That’s a pretty accurate description.”

He pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out an annoyed sigh. “You still haven’t told me why I should even take you. Literally, nothing you’ve said so far is convincing me to take you with us.”

“As long as I’m with you,” Adrian said confidently, “I can give you immunity to Carnadine. She already gave me her word she’d stay away from you, as long as I am with you.”

“What?” He slammed his fist on the table. “You set up this whole scheme, so we’d have to take you?”

“Well,” he said, not reacting to Jacques’s outrage, “I needed some way to convince you, and also, if I didn’t, she’d just capture you again. I’d miss my chance to learn more about the Alchemists, and I need a group to take me to Mermortiva.”

His face was red with anger. “I don’t like being played. How can you even guarantee Carnadine will stay away? She’s been hunting me for years. Why in Elderian would she stop now?”

“Because she’s terrified of me.”

“It’s true, Jacques,” Andre spoke up, and Adrian jumped slightly, forgetting the man of few words was also at their table. “The guards were afraid of him. Whatever he did, it led to our escape. I think we can trust him on this one.”

The shorter man rapped his fingers on the table agitatedly, then sighed. “Fine. We’ll take you to Mermortiva to get you your fucking death trap device. Happy?”

“You have to return me to Elden Town as well.”

He folded his arms. “That’s not part of the deal.”

Adrian shrugged. “I offer you free immunity for as long as you want. I think you also want to know more about me and what I know about the Alchemists. You can keep an eye on me the whole time I’m with you.”

Adrian could see how much Jacques hated that he agreed with him on this by how he inhaled quickly as if to say something, then released it. He extended his hand half-heartedly. “Fine. Deal. Whatever. It’s about time we moved on to the next town anyway.”

They shook, and Adrian gave a small smile to which Jacques scowled further.

“Don’t think this means you’re one of us,” he added. “I don’t trust you one bit.”

“I don’t know, Jacques,” Zuri said, grinning. “I think he’s pretty awesome. I’m okay accepting him as one of us.”

His jaw dropped in offense. “Andre, talk some sense into them.”

“I agree, we shouldn’t fully trust the blond,” the rumbling voice said carefully, “but he’s clever. I wouldn’t mind having someone like that on our team.”

“Wha—I don’t believe this!” He scrunched up his face, looking everywhere except at Adrian. “I should have ditched you two like I said I would!”

Andre wrapped an arm around his shoulders while Zuri nearly fell out of their chair laughing. “But you didn’t,” he mused.

Jacques groaned, sinking down in his chair. “I fucking hate you guys.”

“We love you too, Jacques,” Zuri said, still giggling.

0