Good Company
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took some trial and error as Adrian directed Jacques on how to set the boat in motion with ancient Elden incantations combined with new magic techniques the leader was unfamiliar with.

After that, it was a matter of getting their things onto the ship. They had begun taking painstaking trips up and down the ladder when Adrian discovered a ramp could be activated to lower where the donkeys could be led up and housed in the belly of the ship. This area could also be accessed through a golden trap door on deck.

 Convincing Tulipe to go up into the flying machine proved difficult, what with Adrian’s injured state and the fact that she would move for no one except her beloved master.

After luring her in with a pear while leaning up against one of the masts, Adrian finally grabbed her by the reins at the top, leading her away into the room with stalls that looked like it was designed specifically to hold livestock.

The loud sound they’d heard under the ship, they discovered, was in fact two large glass fins attached to the bottom that had extended downwards, most likely used for aerodynamic purposes while the vessel was in the air. The fins retracted when they touched solid ground, which sent Zuri into a delighted frenzy.

Through the door below the helm and past a tight hallway, was a large bedroom with three solid, black glass bed frames and enormous, emerald tinted windows that they soon discovered were only transparent from the inside. Any sort of mattress, blankets, or sheets that had been there previously had withered away with time, but this did not dampen anyone’s spirits. 

“We’ll buy some bedding in town,” Jacques said. “In the meantime, we can use the blankets we have.”

Next to the bedroom, there were two other doors. One led to a small storage room where food and supplies could be kept and the other led to a humble-sized kitchen that nearly brought tears to Andre’s eyes.

“I’ve never seen anything more beautiful,” the man said, stroking one of the sleek counter tops.

“We’ll just need to clean everything off at some point,” Jacques said, swiping his finger over the ancient stove and bringing it back covered in dust.

“That’ll be easier to do once we get in town,” Zuri said. “I’ve been working on some chemical solutions that would work really well removing the dust from the black glass, but I’ll need the supplies for it.”

“We’ll reach Hauteland much sooner now,” Jacques insisted, “so we won’t need to be so stingy with our supplies and we won’t have to make that risky aquifer stop.”

“Thank the stars.”

Once everything had been packed up and the ramp raised, Adrian, Zuri, and Jacques stood around the helm. Adrian propped himself up against the raised platform as he read over the journal, giving different advice and commands as they flew through the air. Andre was in the kitchen, starting on their lunch.

“Zuri,” Adrian instructed firmly, “once Jacques activates the crystal and sets the ship in motion, anyone can steer it. You want to try it out?”

They nodded, taking the helm from him.

“I can teach them from here, Ian,” Jacques said, meeting his gaze “You really should rest below deck. You’re looking faint again.”

Adrian couldn’t deny the way his legs wobbled and how his head wouldn’t stop buzzing. “Yeah, okay.” He pushed himself up with his right arm, putting his weight on his legs.

“Zuri, why don’t you take him to one of the beds and make sure he doesn’t pass out again on the way over while I steer this thing?”

They nodded. “On it, Boss.”

Adrian was helped away down below deck. 

He’d been awake and moving around for an amount of time that was leaving his body feeling like jelly. He hadn’t realized how faint he was until he was lying down on one of the bed frames. 

“Why don’t I change your bandages really quick while you’re here?” Zuri suggested, and he nodded.

He only meant to rest his eyes for a second while they worked on his wound, but the inventor barely got to unwrapping the old bandage when he was finding himself drifting off.

He recalled being woken up for lunch, given a bowl of something, hoarking it down and heading immediately back to sleep. He slept clear after the sun set, dreaming of green sails and glowing crystals.

 

 

When he awoke again, the stars peaked through the massive windows in the room, and he carefully sat up. He was alone in the room now.

His arm had a distant pang to it, and he once again tried moving it around. There was a dull tug from deep within the forearm that made him stop his movements and cradle it tenderly. It was still immensely better than before, and the dizziness in his head had dispersed. Perhaps though, it was also because he’d drank water, eaten, gotten out of the boiling sunlight, and slept for nearly eight hours straight that he felt so refreshed.

There was a dust covered mirror carved into one of the walls, and he walked over to it, dusting it off with his sash.

His hair had long ago fallen out of the half ponytail he’d put it in days before, and that’s when he noticed just how much it’d grown. Apparently, Jacques’s healing magic had made his head hair and facial hair grow unnaturally quicker. His long stubble desperately needed trimming even though he’d shaved only a few days ago, and his blond locks ended clear past his shoulders now.

He took a brush from his bag and began working out the tangles only using his right hand, thinking he’d need a bath soon if he didn’t want his hair to start looking greasy. He pulled the top part of his hair up and away from the rest, then very carefully took some leather string with his raised left hand and tied it up. The same stubborn clump of bangs that never wanted to stay secured, fell into his eyes. He blew on it in annoyance. It would have to do.

He looked down at his ripped, slightly bloodied sleeve and sighed. He was wearing his only change of clothes, and the royal inside him wept bitterly for something new and fresh.

Putting his bag over his shoulder, he pushed the door open and found himself looking down a little hallway. He heard the clinging of pots and pans as well as sizzling from the kitchen. Andre and Zuri’s voices came in and out through soft tones and Adrian couldn’t quite make out what they were saying. He made his way to the door leading out onto the deck.

The air was fresh and cool. Moonlight bathed him, reflecting off his light hair. He walked over to the railing, leaning on it and gazing out at the landscape. Though the ship had stopped moving, it still hovered dozens of feet in the air. The humming of the active crystals was comforting, and he let out a content sigh.

There was a gust of wind, pushing through his bangs and he looked up at the shimmering green sails. They were so magnificent and otherworldly. He could stare at them all day. His eyes lingered there, then shifted slightly over to the crow’s nest. A jolt of excitement as well as an idea shot through him.

He walked over to the main mast, finding a little ladder that ascended all the way up. He slowly climbed, keeping his left arm tucked up against his chest while the other did all the work. At the top, it was neither spacious nor confining. He could take several steps from one end of the crow’s nest to the other. A black railing wound around the whole thing, keeping him inside.

From here, the view was even more stunning. He could see mountains in the far distance and the blanket of stars above him seemed to engulf him entirely when he looked up. He crouched, then laid down on his back, his knees up and his feet peeping between the gaps in the railing. He stared up at the heavens, eyes filled with wonder.

He shifted slightly when he registered the bag under his leg and moved it, taking out one of the journals as he did. He found himself reading peacefully by moonlight and the green glow coming off the sails.

Some time passed as he studied until he was sitting up, quickly glancing between all three journals, flipping to the page in the middle of each book, a slight frown on his face. He’d seen a recurring green circle with different random text and numbers in them in each book and wondered if they had a connection. In volume one in the center pages, there was one with a two-digit number. In volume two was the same thing but a different two-digit number, and in volume three was the ancient Elden word for power plant.  

He looked between them all, then a thought occurred. He flipped to a page from the first volume that contained the map of Elderian. On the sides of the map were written longitude and latitude in increasing and decreasing degrees. Remembering the two numbers, he traced the location on the map.

His finger stopped over a spot northeast in Venwick in the middle of the Incendio Dunes. This location was deserted, there being no major towns nearby. He wondered if these numbers were really a location or perhaps something else, and studied the map intently, not hearing the footsteps coming up the ladder.

“There you are,” a voice said, making him jump.

He let out a short exhale. “You scared me, Jacques.”

“I scared you?” He didn’t raise his voice, but there was a hint of concern in it. “You just kind of disappeared, and... I thought you were hurt.”

Adrian stood. “Sorry. I just needed to stretch my legs.”

He considered him. “You seem to be doing a lot better. You’re even standing on your own now.” He walked over to him, resting an arm on the railing.

“Yeah, I’m not as lightheaded either.” Adrian took a step closer, still holding Volume I in his hand. “Jacques, take a look at this.” He opened it for the other to see, his good arm brushing past Jacques’s. “There seems to be something in all three volumes that points to... I think it’s a location.”

“A location?”

“I believe these two numbers are coordinates. The last part labels it as a power plant. They point to this spot in the middle of the Incendio Dunes, but that doesn’t seem right.”

“Why not?”

He looked down at him to see if he was serious. “It’s the middle of nowhere.”

“So? It’s some kind of Alchemist location, and all sorts of long-lost relics, tech, and buildings are found in the dunes. I mean, look at the ship we’re in right now.”

He bit his lip, considering this. “It’s on the way to Mermortiva. Do you think we could stop by and see what it is?”

“I don’t see why not. It may be in the middle of nowhere, but we can cover quite a bit of distance in a short period of time on the ship.”

His face lit up. “I wonder what we’ll find there.”

“No idea. I just like that we aren’t walking around fucking everywhere now.”

He grinned. “It’s great, isn’t it? Never in all my days did I think I’d get to travel by flying ship.”

He snorted. “I think most people don’t expect to do that.”

“True.” He subconsciously stroked a hand over the short blond mustache on his face.

Jacques glanced up at him. “Since when did your facial hair get so long?”

Adrian blinked, taking the hand away from his face. “I think your magic made it grow fast. Look, my hair got longer too.” He grabbed a handful of fair strands and stretched them out until they fell back onto his shoulder. 

Jacques gazed at the locks for a moment before saying, “Guess I’ll keep that in mind the next time I want my hair lengthened.”

He exhaled quickly. “It certainly makes shaving a hassle.” He was feeling his beard now, not used to something being there.

“I told you I’d help you with that.” He folded his arms. “You still interested?”

“What, with your magic?” Jacques nodded, and there was a pause. “How does it work?”

“You just sit there and look pretty while I do all the work.”

“Is it safe?”

“I’ve been doing it most of my life, so yes, I’d like to think so.”

“But is it different on another person?”

“I’ve helped Andre plenty of times too.”

“Does it hurt?”

He searched his face, then placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. “No, Ian. Don’t worry so much.” He considered him before adding, “We don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“No, I want you to,” he insisted.

“Then relax. You’ll be fine.”

 “Okay. Let’s do it.” He set the journal down on top of his bag, before standing back up.

Jacques moved so he was now right in front of him. Adrian stayed very still as the smaller man cupped his face in both hands. He felt he could do everything except relax in this situation while the rough, warm hands rested very gently on his face.

Jacques’s eyes closed and Adrian stared at his face.

The eyes flashed open, blazing green and Adrian’s shoulders shot up clear to his ears as a quick zap prickled his face. This was accompanied by a small gasp and Jacques gave a glowing, emerald smile, chuckling slightly, the sound layered with the distant hum.

The light faded and regular, brown-eyed Jacques was still grinning at him. His hands left Adrian’s face as he said, “You really have a hard time relaxing, don’t you?”

“That was it?” Adrian felt his face, shocked when he realized all the facial hair had been completely removed. He gasped again. “It’s gone!” He felt every nook and cranny in disbelief. “I’ve never felt it so smooth.”

Jacques was snickering. “I told you.”

“It wasn’t even this smooth when I had others shave it.” His eyes flicked up to meet Jacques’s before darting away. “Uh, I mean...”

“You don’t have to look so embarrassed. It’s not like I didn’t already know.”

“I know. It’s just,” he rubbed the back of his neck, “a bit humiliating.”

“Why’s it humiliating?” Jacques had both forearms behind him on the railing, leaning his weight onto them. “I’d give anything to have a life like that. Any of us would. The thing is, you were born into that life, but it’s not like you chose it, and yeah I think it’s fucking weird that you left it to be out here in the middle of nowhere, dealing with an injured arm, hanging out with a bunch of wayward glorified thieves like us as we struggle for basic things like water, but it’s also kind of admirable that you chose this for yourself.”

He shrugged, standing next to him as he leaned forward with his right arm on the railing. “Thanks, I guess. It probably looks like watching a newborn take its first steps.”

Jacques laughed. “A little bit, yeah.” 

Adrian looked over at him, giving a quick exhale. 

He returned his gaze then considered him for a moment before asking, “Is there anything you miss about your old life?”

Adrian thought for a moment. “I miss my brother, a lot sometimes.”

“Were you two close?”

“Yes and no. We usually didn’t get along very well, but when we did, we were both very supportive of each other.”

“That must be hard, being away from him.” 

“It was at first, but it’s gotten a lot better. I actually really like it out here despite everything.”

“Really?”

He nodded, giving him a small grin.

There was a pause. 

“Anything else you miss?” he asked, subconsciously playing with a long strand of black hair from his ponytail. “An object or food or something? I imagine things are much more... plentiful over there than they are here.”

The king nodded. “Just a bit.” He paused, considering Jacques’s question. “I do miss my bed sometimes.” He let out a small laugh before continuing. “The sheets were really soft, and I could stretch all the way out on the big mattress.” His grin melted and he turned slightly to look out past the ship into the distance. “It was lonely though. That big room, filled with stuff and yet feeling so empty at the same time. I could have any food or dessert I wanted brought to me. All I ever really wanted was for my father to notice me and pay attention to me, but he was always so wracked with grief about my mother...”

“You don’t have to talk about your parents if you don’t want to.”

Blue eyes remained somewhere on the distant mountains. “He basically wasted away bit by bit over the years, mourning her until he himself finally died. He was so preoccupied with thoughts of someone who wasn’t even around anymore, he forgot about those who were.” 

“Ian, I’m sorry.”

He hummed in response, then turned towards him. “Sorry for the doom and gloom. You ask me the most basic questions and I can’t help but tell you my whole life story.”

“I really don’t mind.”

He cocked his head to the side. “You sure?”

“Yeah. We’re friends, aren’t we?”

He searched his face, then gave a small smile out of the corner of his mouth. “Yeah, we are.” 

There was a pause as they both looked back out at the scenery in silence, leaning on the railing, their arms almost touching.

“What about you?” Adrian finally said.

“Hm?”

“Do... you miss anything about your old life, with your parents?” Jacques furrowed his eyebrows at that, clenching his jaw. Immediately noticing this, Adrian was quickly saying, “Sorry, bad question.”

Jacques frowned, chewing on his lip. He released a soft sigh, before saying, “I really don’t miss anything about that place. It was Hell for me and Andre. We weren’t allowed to have any interests outside of what my parents wanted from us. Andre was tasked with protecting me, the promised magic user, basically acting as an opinionless bodyguard, and I was tasked with learning my magic and everything I could about the Alchemists. Andre was and always has been my best friend. He supported me, but not because it was his duty. He was the only family member I had that cared about what I wanted and loved me for who I am; who I really am. When I lived with my parents... it was like I was a completely different person. A shell of a person more like.” He looked over at Adrian, his face more serious than the blond had ever seen it.

“It’s like I was dead inside when I lived with them and that’s how they wanted it. Well, when I was sixteen, they found out I was seeing a boy. My father beat the shit out of me that day.” He swallowed before continuing and Adrian’s heart panged with shock and then anger. “Told me I was betraying my family and letting all the Alchemists down with such abominable behavior. I was to produce an heir one day, not ‘fuck around with—’ well, I won’t say the word he used. I was so angry that day.” He clenched his fists. “I left without a word, but Andre caught me while I was leaving. I thought he was stopping me, but he told me he was coming with me.” He quickly wiped his eyes. “Well, shit.” Adrian put a gentle hand on his shoulder to which Jacques placed his own quickly on top. He swallowed, before saying, “Andre said he’d stay with me no matter what and well, here we are I guess.” 

“Zuri was right,” Adrian said softly, trying to keep his temper under control.

Jacques gave him a strange look. “About what?”

“That your parents are fucked up pieces of shit.”

He blinked several times, clearly shocked at the profanity, then he breathed out a laugh. “Yeah. They are.”

“I’m so sorry that happened. You know, if your magic is painful for you to use, I won’t ask you to use it anymore. We don’t even have to go on this quest if that’s an issue.”

Jacques searched his face in bewilderment. “You’d give up your whole quest, just like that?”

He shrugged, taking his hand back which the smaller man obliged, and they both resumed their positions on the railing. “I came out here mostly to discover myself. It’s also so I can learn more about my mother’s work and what she found out here, but I don’t know if it’s worth it if I’m hurting my friends along the way.”

Jacques nudged his arm softly with his own. “I’m fine, Ian, really. I told you, my magic means something new now and so does all the stuff with the Alchemists.” He hesitated. “You showed me that.”

There was that defenseless expression again that made Adrian melt inside. He nudged his arm back. “I told you, that was all you. Don’t give me so much credit.”

He quickly exhaled. “You always have to be so modest and polite, don’t you?”

“I can’t help it.” They were looking out again in silence. He saw a small flock of birds flying in the distance and let out a small sigh. “I can’t believe I’m twenty-four already. It feels like I just had a birthday.”

Jacques blinked over at him. “Is today your birthday?”

He turned to meet curious brown eyes, feeling heat rise in his cheeks. “Er...”

“It is, isn’t it?” He hit him on his good arm. “Why didn’t you tell any of us?”

“We were running from Carnadine and I’ve been in and out of consciousness all day.”

“True, but birthdays are still important.” He hit him again. “You’re twenty-four, you say? Only a year older than myself.”

He gave a small smile. “Certainly not wiser, as aforementioned.”

Jacques blinked then let out a laugh. “You’re only a bit of a babe in the woods, don’t worry,” he teased. 

“Gee, thanks.”

“Hey, it’s not too late to celebrate your birthday. I’ll get Andre to cook you something—”

His expression fell. “No, please, I couldn’t impose.”

“You can’t polite your way out of this one,” he snapped, one hand on his hip. 

“But aren’t we low on supplies?”

“We’re close to the next town and this is an exception. We can splurge on you.”

“But—”

“You wait here,” he interrupted, making his way over to the ladder. “I’ll come back and grab you when it’s ready.”

“Jacques, wait—”

“This isn’t a discussion.” He was already down the ladder when Adrian was opening his mouth and closing it again.

He buried his face in his hand, his entire visage a cherry red. A stupid, dopey grin appeared over his face as he shook his head, his body filling with warmth. It’d been a while since he felt so giddy.

Still grinning, he changed positions, and his foot bumped the bag at his feet. He looked down, then absentmindedly began grabbing the journals littered around to put them away as he thought warmly about the man that’d just left. When he grabbed the bag, a little glass vial fell out and he froze at the sight of it.

Madi’s flowers.

He picked it up with his right hand, examining the dried cyclamens for a moment, then stood. When he thought of the woman, there was no longer pain deep in his gut. Instead, there was only lightness there. Realizing this made him let out a small laugh.

Giving a crazed grin, he chucked the vial over his head where he watched it fall hundreds of feet off the ship and disappear into the dunes below.

 

🗲🗲🗲

 

Someone was shaking Adrian’s shoulder and he blinked into consciousness. He couldn’t see anything and felt rough pages smushed against his nose and cheeks. He lifted a hand and took the open Alchemist journal off his face to see Zuri kneeling over him.

“Nice place for a nap?”

He sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. “Guess I dozed off. Jacques did tell me to wait up here.”

They chuckled. “So, you fell asleep reading? I’d call you overly obsessed with the Alchemists, but I’m just as guilty.”

“I keep thinking I’m finally done being tired, but I guess I injured my arm pretty badly, huh?”

“It’s one of the more serious injuries I’ve seen, yeah, and that’s saying something. I’m glad you’re doing better.”

“Yeah, thanks to you and Jacques.”

They gave him a small grin. “By the way, real quick, can I check something?” 

He raised an eyebrow. “Check what?”

They took out a small, homemade measuring tape from their pocket. “Give me your hand.” He stared. “Your hand, Ian.”

He silently obeyed. “Guess your right will do.” They took it quickly and wrapped the measuring tape around his right index finger. A smug grin spread over their face. “Perfect!” Before Adrian could ask, the inventor stood, offering him their hand. “We’ve got something waiting for you out on the deck by the way. Won’t you come?”

He took it with his right, and they hoisted him up. “I’m not really sure how to feel about this...” He could feel his cheeks heating up in embarrassment. “Can you at least tell me what Jacques has planned?”

“Nope! Trade secret.” They folded their arms, grinning, then the expression fell. “Oh right! I’m supposed to blind fold you...” 

“Wait, why? Zuri, how am I going to get down the ladder with an injured arm while blindfolded?”

They bit their lip. “Oh, true. Well, I’ll just do it once you get down the ladder then. Promise not to look at anything while you’re climbing down, okay? Great! Off we go!” They were tugging on him again and he followed.

“Okay, okay!” A small laugh escaped his mouth. “I’m coming.”

By the time he made it down the ladder, a blindfold was immediately thrown over his eyes, and he felt as Zuri tied a little knot at the back of his head. They took him by the shoulders and led him forward.

He stumbled when they pushed down on him, trying to get him to sit. 

“Zuri don’t hurt the birthday boy!” he heard Jacques hiss.

He felt their hand leave his shoulder and somehow, he knew they were flipping the leader off by the way Jacques tiffed in response.

“Alright,” came Zuri’s voice next to him as they untied the blindfold now that he was sitting. 

When it slipped away, he was met with an array of over thirty dishes or so with all sorts of different prepared foods awaiting him all laid out on blankets. Jacques and Andre were sitting next to one of the water barrels that was usually carried by the donkeys while Zuri sat on his left. His three teammates all gave him an enthusiastic, “Happy Birthday,” and he just stared at it all in shock.

He felt his cheek with his hand and found something wet there, not remembering crying.

“Oh shit, he hates it,” Zuri said, the grin melting from their face.

“No, no,” Adrian reassured, quickly wiping his eyes in embarrassment. “It’s not that.” He just knew his face was bright red by the way it burned. “Er, no one’s ever done anything like this for me before.”

“Really?” Jacques asked, looking genuinely shocked as Zuri gestured for Adrian to dig in. “Thought you’d have lavish parties or something.”

Adrian exhaled quickly before taking a piece of bread from one of the plates. “Uh, yeah, well I did get a nice party and gifts and things, but it was never something small with friends. It was always... formal and stuffy.” He imagined the big pile of presents sent from the village and from other kingdoms, then remembered his father’s jaded expression at the quiet dinner table. Birthdays were normally a reminder of what they used to be when his mother was still around.

“Ew,” Zuri commented, serving themselves up some vegetable salad. “Well, now you have this! Can’t believe we almost brushed over your birthday.”

He rubbed the back of his neck, a bashful look on his face. “It’s really not a big deal, but I do appreciate the gesture.”

Jacques snorted. “Always has to be so modest.”

He grinned in response. 

“So, you’re twenty-four?” Zuri asked, and he nodded. “That means you’re a year younger than Andre and a year older than Jacques and I. It’s funny how close we all are in age.”

“You’re twenty-five, Andre?” he asked in surprise, turning his head to the large black man.

He nodded. “Yup.”

“I thought perhaps you were older.”

“My stature throws people off,” he said with a grin. “I brewed a fresh batch for you by the way.” As he said it, he lifted a latch on the spigot attached to the barrel beside him with a tankard held underneath it, and that’s when Adrian realized the barrel was filled with ale. He was offered the filled tankard, taking it with a grateful smile.

The king quickly began downing it with gusto, and Andre’s boisterous laugh rang out. “There he is!” he exclaimed, giving the blond a pat on the back. Adrian spat up a bit, and wiped his mouth, grinning. 

Jacques was given the next tankard, then Zuri, and finally Andre filled one for himself until they were all eating and drinking merrily.

The company, the alcohol, and the fact that Adrian was still feeling high after throwing Madi’s flowers off the ship, left him feeling positively euphoric. The only problem with this was that it also loosened his tongue considerably.

“You know,” he said after several drinks, and they’d just laughed at something Jacques said, “not even Princess Madeleine made me as happy as I am with you guys right now.” He had an easy smile on his face, his cheeks slightly flushed from the alcohol.

Jacques blinked at him. “Princess?” he repeated. “Your Madi is a princess?”

The content expression melted as he realized what he’d said. “Er, not a princess per say.” He had no idea how to recover from this, his brain feeling fuzzy. “Just uh, that’s what her subjects called her.” That didn’t help.

Zuri’s jaw dropped. “You were courting royalty? How the hell did you manage that?”

He put a hand over his mouth, glancing to the side, then mumbled, “Got lucky, I guess.”

The inventor laughed. “Real lucky I’d say. I mean, I know you’re good looking, but damn. That’s a lot of game.”

He chuckled nervously. “I suppose.” He stole a glance at Jacques, and he knew the leader wasn’t buying it.

“How did you meet Madi anyway?” they asked, and he stiffened, glancing away.

“Um,” his voice cracked. “Well...”

“Zuri,” Jacques said quickly, “why don’t you give Ian his present?” Adrian blinked up at him and when those brown eyes met his, the smaller man gave him an understanding expression. Adrian nodded gratefully, knowing if things had gone on much longer, he probably would have declared his royal title right then and there.

He knew Jacques, more than anyone, wanted to know his secret, but ever since he’d promised to stop prying, he’d been extremely considerate of Adrian’s privacy. It made butterflies flood his stomach.

Zuri rummaged through their pocket before taking out a small, wrapped package and set it in Adrian’s lap. Taking it up with his right hand after setting his ale down, Adrian curiously tore the humble wrappings away to reveal a black glass ring. He gawked at it. “What’s this?”

“To replace the wooden ring you always wear. I saw that it had split.”

He blinked, then looked down at his left index finger at the wooden band that covered his royal birthmark. He hadn’t noticed before, but there was indeed a large crack in it, mostly likely sustained during his fight with Carnadine. 

“This is why you were using the measuring tape earlier?” he asked, turning to the inventor who nodded with a smirk. “Did you make it?”

“That’s right! I found out that the Alchemist black glass can only be cut by itself. I’m pretty impressed I guessed your ring size so well. Well, go on and put it on!” They nudged his shoulder.

He hesitated. “Uh, yes, of course.” His heart began pounding in his chest as he gazed down at this nearly ruined wooden ring that was the only thing standing between his friends and his identity. He could so easily just reveal the royal seal and get it over with, but even the mere thought of that left his stomach in tight knots. 

He couldn’t do that, not when just the mention of him courting a princess left them all in shock. He just wasn’t ready, and he didn’t need to be, because they never needed to know who he really was. He was perfectly fine having them know him only as Ian, the strange, polite man who didn’t know how to shave his own face properly. 

He turned his left hand, so the palm was facing upwards and swallowed nervously before removing the wooden ring, his hands shaking slightly. The seal did not show with his hand in this position, and he quickly slipped the new black ring on. He hesitated before turning it back over, his palms sweating as he checked to see if the tattoo showed at all with this new ring. Thankfully, it didn’t, and he released the breath he’d been apparently holding.

“Looks really nice,” he said, feigning ease as he turned his hand around to gaze at it.

And it’s basically indestructible,” Zuri said proudly. “It should be extremely reliable for you.”

He gave them a small smile. “Thank you. This was really thoughtful.”

“The idea was a group effort. We were all trying to think of things that you’d like.”

“I thought you’d just want cake,” Andre said, grinning, “speaking of which, I almost forgot. I did make you one. Let me go grab it.” He stood and made his way to the door leading below deck.

“Oh, Andre, you didn’t have to—”

“I thought you’d want new clothes,” Jacques interrupted him, “but we aren’t exactly near any stores so, we’ll just get you that when we’re back in town.”

He considered him for a moment before nodding graciously. “Yeah, that sounds nice.”

A pang of guilt hit his chest. As he was lying to his friends’ faces about his entire identity, they were being so caring and thoughtful towards him. He’d put up such a big wall, he realized. There was still so much they didn’t know about him. In many ways he was still a stranger to them.

He let out a small sigh, the previous high dying out in the night air as he pushed his tankard of ale aside, not touching it again the rest of the night for fear he might let something else slip, that knot in his chest remaining.

0