6
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After changing out into a set of fine prepared clothes, Kyrion had black hair combed back and trimmed to look more even. They even made him use this dreadful thing called soap. Kyrion tried to take a bite out of it but it was just horrible, it did not match the fruity smell.

 

Jala his small fox spirit was groomed, and washed as well. And since she liked getting carried around, Charles got her a new bag, slightly bigger and a lot softer than the previous one. Alexander, put on some casual wear and replaced his wooden leg with a metal counterpart that could fit into a pair of brown boots. Asela was given a blue dress that apparently belonged to their mother, and Charles dressed in his butler uniform.

 

The five of them left the noble quarter, and entered the merchants district, Alexander leading the way, while Charles made sure a certain child didn’t try to ditch them.

“Hey Alex, we got a sale on pork cuts this week.” Said someone from one of the butcher stalls.

 

“I’ll see that my butler pays you a visit then.” He replied, waving his left hand.

 

“I just got a fresh supply of those Eastern Cigars you love so much” Said another merchant, Alexander waves him off with, “I’m with my grandkids at the moment I’ll talk with you later.”

 

More people approach wanting to speak with their grandfather about various matters, from things like arena fights scheduled to happen today, to one man telling him that his wife just gave birth to a baby boy, before thanking him and giving the big guy a hug. After a while the people stopped approaching and Alexander let out a sigh of relief.

“Uhh. Grandpa, are you famous?” Kyrion ask

 

“No, just well liked by the people. Used to be a commander during the last few wars with a certain republic. Saved quite a few lives but lost just as many. Many of the people here have been saved more than once under my command.” 

 

His eye clouded over for a second/ “Ah were here, The Thirsty Possum. A place known for its food, drink and entertainment. One of Dorgon’s sons owns the place. It’s becoming more and more popular but rumor has it the boy will be spreading his wings out of the country soon, so that the next in line can get some practice as a head chef.” The logo was that of a possum trying to bite into a cactus, and the establishment looked anything but fancy, but to the two kids who’d never eaten out, it wouldn’t take much to convince them that this place was classy. 

 

Alexander led the group to a family sided table towards the middle of the establishment, near a stage where a group of musicians were playing a song of excitement and triumph over adversity. Their waitress was a tall, green skinned woman in a brown dress that showed a bit too much skin, but didn’t hide the 2 hand axes strapped to her sides, and muscular all too similar to Alexander. 

 

“Eyy Brigs! These are my grandkids, Kyrie and Ashley,  wait that's not right… Anyhow I’d like the family feast, fit with the appetizers as well. The day is just getting started after all and I’d hate for us to get hungry halfway through it!” Alexander grined.

 “Also, get some water for the kids, a small bowl of warm milk and some spicy water for Charles.” He whispers the last part into the waitress's ear. “And a large cup of the good stuff.” 

The waitress nods before heading off with a stoic expression.

 

“Uhh, gramps, my name is Kyrion and…” Kyrion begins before getting cut off by his sister.

 

“Do you know that lady? Is she an orc? And why did we come to a fancy place, you and Charles can cook right?”

 

Charles’s face went from stoic to ashen as those words seem to break through his aura of professionalism.

 Alexander started  laughing again. His hand hit the table which sends a crack into it from the power. Charles pulled out a handkerchief and wiped away the crack.

“What?” Kyrion saw that. That isn’t how handkerchiefs work.

 

“Kids. Has your mother ever cooked breakfast alone?” Alexander asked. 

 

Kyrion thought for a bit and shook his head. “Samanta doesn't let her in the kitchen alone. Doesn’t stop her from trying though.”
. “You poor, poor children, don’t worry grandpa will keep you and your pallets safe from now on.”

“It wasn’t that bad.” Kyrion said.

The waitress soon returned with the drinks and some small rolls of bread with some yellow mixture brushed on them, the water had lemon and these cold clear rocks in the cups, which made no sense to Kyrion. The small bowl of milk was placed in front of Jala, who looked at it curiously before burrowing into the bread basket instead.

Charles held a glass that was a bit of a darker color with a lemon in it as well. The butler pulled out a beaker and began to pour a white powdery mixture into it which caused it to bubble.

 

“Kyrion, where does all your partner's food go? From what I see 2 of those dinner rolls are roughly the same size as Jala, yet she has finished 6 already.”  Alexander says before taking a drink from the brown tankard.

 

Kyrion shrugs, “It’s either, I eat 3 times as much food, or she does. I think it has something to do with my powers, after eating 3 times the amount of food as normal and still being hungry on the way here, I decided it's better to just let her stay out 24/7. It would be food torture otherwise.” Kyrion finished off his cup of water.

“You’ll adapt, those with beast spirts, normally get used to this aspect.” Alexander said knowingly.

“No way. I don’t believe you.”

“The change will be sudden, and you’ll be consuming everything you could get your hands on. I eat a whole lot because of my beast spirit. Though quality trumps quantity of food in this regard.” Alexander said knowingly.

The family waited on the rest of the food to arrive when everyone in the establishment heard a tankard hit the floor.

 

“I lost 3 men and you say this isn’t the artifact you wanted!” Said a muscular warrior with a halberd strapped to his back. It seems he was speaking to a thin well dressed man with weasel like features, backed up with what seems to be 2 guards acting as his silent muscle. 

The warrior reached for the weasel man, and one of the guards tried to intercept it, only for the warrior to grab the guard instead and throw him backwards 20 feet into another table.

 

This resulted in the start of what one would call a tavern brawl.t.

“Huh… Well kids look like we have to leave early. You don’t want to be here when the chef comes out. I’m doing you all a favor, believe me.” Alexander said, placing a pouch on thor table and escorting the children out of the tavern.

Not long after they left a resounding boom echoed from the tavern. As something shook the building.

 

 “We’ll come back later to finish our meal. Everything should have calmed down by then.”

 

 “Grandpa, why did that guy start a fight?” Asela asked

 

“Where to start.. You came from a farm if I recall right, let's say someone said they would pay you to clean out all the cow patties and you did so and even felt sick afterwards, and now the person who said they would pay decides not to on an account of the fact that the cows just made another mess. How would you feel afterwards? Mad enough to throw the man who tried to get out of paying?”

 

Asela thought for a long moment and stayed quiet on whatever came to her mind.

 

“Well where to next?” Kyrion asked excitedly.

 

“Towards the arena. I want you to see a few arena fights before I start your martial training, and since, we only have 9 days until you start school. While being able to fight isn’t a big thing right now, I would be happier knowing you can defend yourself. ” Alexander explained. watching the two carefully. 

 

They both seemed to be eager but it seems to be centered more on curiosity than a bloodlust. Which was a good thing in his opinion.

 

Soon the group arrived at a large arena made from stone, the walls high enough to be noticeable from a distance, and cheers can be heard from the inside. Each step brought more excitement to the youngest members in the group.

 

“4 entry passes for today’s matches.” Charles paid for the tickets and the group headed up to their seats.

 

Alexander read through the program, “Looks like there are three scheduled fights on the docket. So for basic rules fights end when one person has either surrendered or can no longer continue. Outside the arena are well trained, healers are there to prevent worse case scenarios. People do still die in the arena, however rare it may be best to see various combat styles in action.”

 

The first set of fighters came out of their respective sides of the arena where 4 pillars stand in between them forming a square that reaches up. The one on the right  was the white haired man that traveled with them in the caravan, this time his hair is tied up and back in a ponytail and he seems to be wearing a breastplate over his chest paired with some greaves and a gauntlet over his left arm. At his side stood a white wolf with well groomed fur and piercing blue eyes. 

Arrayed against them, on the left side of the arena was a sandy haired muscular man, clad in an odd armor. His weapon seems to be a large shovel live weapon that is affixed to his arm from the elbow down. 

 

“Today we have a treat for you all, 2 Expert rank Spirit Masters will be fighting against each other in battle, the first to surender or become incapacitated loses. Our special guest from the Principality of Ur, serving as an interim at the academy for this year, on the right side is, Leon Malkir! And on the left side, the mean, lean, digging king, the principal of Bean Sprout preparatory academy, the one the only, Yulon Jackson! Now for the moment you've all been waiting for, 3, 2, 1, fight!”

 

The fighters rushed towards each other Leon sword in preparation of being drawn, Yulon shovel arm poised for an overhead slam. As the two were about to collide, Yulon  jumped 20 feet into the air, and in response Leon backpedaled and sent his wolf to run around the arena center.  

Yulon landed and the earth shook and rumbled in response, as he burrowed into the ground. Within seconds of entering the ground spikes began to erupt around the arena, turning the previously flat arena floor into a bed of hazardous earthen spikes. Leon and his wolf scale one of the polls and begin to summon power together.

 

“Wow… their powers won't hit us right?” Kyrion asked, a little worried.

 

“We’ll be fine, the two fighters can control their strength, and there are some enchantments that prevent magic from exiting the arena.” Alexander nodded.

 

A wave of ice magic covers the arena and mist begins to rise from the ground, which turns from brown to white in a flash. Yulon shoots out of the ground like a cannonball towards Leon who was caught off guard and tried to block the full body assault, only to be knocked off the pillar.

His sword flung from his hands. Leon righted himself in midair and cleared the ground with a swipe of his hand before landing on the icy surface after destroying the spikes.

 

 Yulon jumped down towards Leon, who in turn swiftly slid through the arena on the ice while conjuring a blade of ice from thin air. 

 

Yulon barreled towards him for a final charge and the two engaged in a series of cuts, slashes, and blocks. Yulon held the upper hand in raw strength and pushed Leon towards the wall.

 

When he raises his shovel arm to deliver the victory blow, a sword draws blood from the side of his neck. Leon’s wolf had retrieved his master's sword and used it to end the fight.

 

“I surrender.” Yulon sighed

“It was a good fight.” Leon said.

 

Cheers erupt from the spectators' seats as the crowd erupted in applause.

The announcer returned to the stage. “We will need 30 minuets to fix the arena, so for now we will have an emergency intermission. We here apologize for the inconvenience.”

 

Kyrion looks to his grandfather. “So is this what a spirit master fight looks like? Those bandits we saw never stood a chance…” 

 

Asela looked awestruck and nodded along with what Kyrion asked.

 

“Huh, you have a long while before you can do anything remotely similar to that.” Alexander laughed.

 

During the intermission the group of Kyrion, Asela, Charles, and Alexander discussed the previous fight. 

 

“Why did he wait to have his wolf attack until the end?” Kyrion asked

“Summoned allies tend to be fragile and can only take so much damage before getting forced back into their owners core. In this case, Leon let his spirit be forgotten for a while which allowed it to retrieve his sword, and while he kept their foe distracted, the wolf was waiting for the prime striking opportunity.” Alexander explained.

 

“Why did the armor guy come up? Couldn’t he have waited for the ice to melt?” Asela asked.

 

Charles answered this one, “You see if he waited that long, we’d get bored, would have to go eat, and miss the other fights. Also people need air to breathe.”

 

“I get it.” She replied. Kyrion raises an eyebrow but says nothing.

 

After the arena was repaired and cleared of debris, the next group of fighters enter the arena, one a slim woman with flaming red hair and clothes, skin masked by a constant roiling of flame, on the opposite end is an exceptionally tall and thin man, wearing a feathered cape, full headed mask and a speedo. He showfully removed the cape, and flexed his somewhat megar looking muscles.

“This round we have two practitioner rank masters, the one you know and tolerate, our high flier and exabitonsist, our eye in the sky! Skylark!” The announcer then points to the landy wreath in flame. “And in this corner the unseen beauty hidden in the flames, the one who melts hearts and flesh alike, our shy pyromaniac! Ignis! Ready? Fight!”

 

This time Kyrion watched as the announcer faded into nothingness and disappeared when the battle started. “How…” 

 

Unlike the previous fight the two do not dash towards each other, instead the Ignins let loose a flurry of red hot balls of fire, which connect to a Skylark who has taken to spinning like a dervish. The balls of flame explode into a torrent of flames but as they disappear nothing remains of Skylark.  

 

“He’s dead!” Asela screams.

 

“Just watch.” Alexander replies while patting on her head, eyes transfixed on the fight.

 

Ignis looks around in confusion while sending out her flames like tendrils searching the arena for any signs of her opponent. What she failed to notice was a man falling from 300 feet up in the air, arms spread behind his back like a diving bird. 

 

“Lark Kick!” He yelled after reaching 30 feet up and sending a wave of slicing wind at Ignis, who rolled away from the attack. 

 

“That was not a kick she yells letting loose a wave of flame at where Skylark was previously.

“But this is!” he replied, propelling himself feet first at Ignins target and hitting her head on in the back. Skylark retreated foot aflame after the connection. While Ignis was pushed forward and into the ground.

 

“Hot! Hot! Hot!” He yelled while trying to put it out.

 

Ignis staggered to her feet. “Ready to finish this?” Spitting red hot blood on the arena floor.

 

“Honestly I’m about spent reserve wise. What say I finish this now.” He said getting into a take off position. He sent himself forward at a previously unseen speed at Ignis who in turn put up a solid wall of flame in between the two. Skylark pierced straight through it and hit the wall hard and as the smoke cleared, he lay alone and unconscious speedo perfectly fine but his mask was on fire. 

 

Ignis appears from inside her wall of flame exhausted, but otherwise fine. She staggers outside of the arena towards the healers.

Skylark is taken out on a stretcher and the arena is fixed quickly as most of the damage was superficial.

The next group of fighters enter the arena. One is a man with two large caddies with various hilts and handles poking out, over his eyes is a black blindfold tied over his eyes and forehead. Long jet back hair that falls to his back with a few white stands mixed in. He is dressed in long black robes that keep his hands and feet hidden. Next to enter is a blond haired child with a cart full of orbs, on his head is a pair of goggles, and he is dressed in a pair of overalls, his eyes shifting between blue and green as he locks onto his opponent.

 

“Lastly we have special participants who are not spirit masters, but say they have abilities that are equal to that of expert rank spirit masters. While their abilities are untested and background kept to a minimum I can say that on the right corner we have a man who calls himself, The Eyless Hydra, and he calls himself an Ascetic, of the Silver Flame sect. Next up is another man who told me his name was Frank Jones, who is a student of golemancy from the Lodrim, Archipelago. Ready to begin!” 

 

This fight was the most unique one so far,  the child dumped his cart into the ground and the orbs sunk into it and out from the ground raised an army of monsters made of dirt and stone. On the other side of the arena, Eyeless had thrown up both of his caddies causing them to rain their contents of all sorts of bladed weapons all over the ground of the arena.

 

“What are they doing?” Kyrion asked.

“Preparing, unlike spirit masters their powers tend to work differently, while everything is mana related in some way. The golemist uses special cores to command artificial spirits known as golems, while the supposed mystic is enacting their will on mana from the world around them.

 

Kyrion was confused.”What do you know?”

 

Alexander replied with a grin. ”I've fought quite a few of each. The Silver Flame sect doesn’t exist anymore. Just so you know some monster went about and killed most of the people there. Resulting in the Eyeless factions, dwindling numbers. See? Arena’s can be educational.”

 

Charles closed his eyes and sighed. “The fight starts now.” 

After all the preparation, 6 small rock creatures, around 4 feet in height barreledl forth, in a scattered formation, followed by 3 medium sized creatures that were 6 feet tall, and a large one that was at least 15 feet tall with a giant cannon in its chest.

 

As the first wave arrived, Eyeless swipep his hand in a vertical line which seemingly caused 20 or so scattered blades to pierce into the frontline with practiced efficiency. 

 

By the end of the barrage of flying blades only 2 beat up small golems remain.

 

Seeing this the medium sized golems retreat from where the swords remain and begin hurling rocks at him.

 

 The Eyeless man intern seemed to dodge as though he knew where they were going to land before the golems did. The large golem let loose a black metal ball the size of a boulder. Eyeless made no attempts to dodge and forced all his weapons to fly towards him, forming some sort of dome around his body in which an explosion echoed. 

 

Many blades lay destroyed on impact but aside from that Eyeless is fine. Albeit slightly irritated.

 

“Did his eyebrow just twitch?”

“You saw that huh?” Was all Alexander said, a look of pity on his face.

 

The blind man charged willing his blades into whip-like formations around like snakes. Each serpent of swords tore into the medium and small golems with ease. Until he arrived at the large golem who brushed away the strikes with its raw power. 

The large golem hefted the body of a medium sized golem, and used it to destroy 3 of six of the serpents, forcing Eyeless to retreat towards a pillar which was soon shot by a boulder and destroyed. 

 

Eyeless began to hide behind each of the remaining 3 pillars as they were destroyed by cannon fire and with no place to hide he charged forward, sweat rolling down his brow as he summoned more of his mystical power. 

 

When he attacked this time it wasn’t with 6 serpents but 24, mostly made from the dirt and debris of the fallen pillars, dust and cannonball fragments. His next barrage of strikes boomed through the arena like a blacksmith striking an anvil. The final golem brought to the point only dust remained. 

 

“Do you surrender?” Eyeless ask his opponent who nods in reply. “Sorry I didn't catch that.”  He said confused.

“And the winner by a brutal showing of force is Eyeless!” Says the announcer

 

The crowd erupts in cheers and applause as both fighters walk out of the arena which, like the first battle was destroyed, but unlike the first battle, this degree of damage was many times higher.

 

“I wanna fight like that Eyeless guy, making all those weapons fly around is cool!” Kyrion said excitedly.

 

“I see, how about you Asela? Where should we focus your training?” Alexander asked.

“I don’t know, Ignis was pretty cool but I'd rather not be on fire.” She replied

 

“To be fair, I wouldn’t set myself on fire either. On purpose anyways.” Alexander looked up at the evening sun. “Well kids we’re burning daylight. Let's hit up the, Jr. weapons shop, they have all sorts of wood non-murderous weapons for training purposes. But remember even a wooden weapon is still lethal if you swing it hard enough.”

0