Chapter 158 Tailblazer
94 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 158 Tailblazer


"Shield wall! Archers! Take cover in the buildings. Shoot any archers that climb onto the wall!" Alistar shouted.

The experienced elves swiftly formed their defensive formation, with the tailfolk mercenaries positioned beside them. As a Vargmuth leaped down from the wall and charged towards us, it was met with a barrage of pikes from the soldiers. The shield wall wasn't fully established yet due to the Vargmuth's speed, but the pikes managed to momentarily halt the creature. Taking advantage of the opening, Alistar swung his axe and decapitated its head while it was stunned.

Lily quickened her pace to match her slower tailfolk comrade. When a Vargmuth charged at the tailfolk, it swiped its massive hand, knocking several spears out of the soldiers' grasp and leaving them defenseless. Lily swiftly intervened, engaging the creature while shouting for the soldiers to regroup and reform the formation.

clang

Her sword broke as she attempted to decapitate a Vargmuth before her. She stood stunned, realizing that her trusted saber had failed her after severing the heads of numerous Vargmuth on the wall.

"Lily, compose yourself! We are in the midst of war," I shouted, swishing my tail and utilizing my remaining mana to conjure fireballs, which I launched at the creature's face.

Lily quickly surveyed her surroundings, scavenging a sword from fallen soldiers nearby, and engaged another Vargmuth. However, the blade was not sharp enough, and she failed to sever the creature's arm. The sword became lodged in its arm, forcing Lily to abandon it. Just in time, five tailfolk men arrived and repeatedly stabbed the Vargmuth until it dissipated into a wisp of black smoke.

"Damn it!" Lily cursed as she scanned her surroundings again, searching for another sword. As she moved to scavenge one from a fallen elf, a Vargmuth charged at her, but a tailfolk soldier stabbed it in the thigh, inflicting minimal damage. However, the Vargmuth redirected its attention towards the brave soldier and swiped its fleshy arm, sending him flying into nearby houses.

"No!!!" Lily gripped her sword tightly. This time, instead of attempting to slash and decapitate the Vargmuth, she used a fencing technique to stab it. Her mastery of swordsmanship, rated at level nine, helped her adapt quickly to the new situation. Her sword aimed for the creature's torso, causing it to bleed dark, inky blood. When the beast retaliated with another swipe, Lily jumped onto its arm and then again onto its head. With all her body weight behind it, she stabbed it in the head. The sword pierced through its skull, reaching the brain and killing it.

After the creature dissipated into a wisp of smoke, she prepared to engage another one. However, a shout from one of her tailfolk soldiers warned her to fall back. They had reorganized themselves and were now ready to face the Vargmuth. Though a bit disorganized, the formation held firm against several Vargmuth charging their way, thanks to the tailfolk's sense of solidarity.

"Lily, catch!" Nora tossed her scimitar. The weapon spun in a high arc before landing in Lily's hand. She glanced at Nora, who now held a spear and shield like the rest of their tailfolk companions. With a rallying cry, Lily joined her fellow soldiers, driving her blade into the torso of another Vargmuth alongside fifteen tailfolk warriors.

Lily engaged another beast before a sharp pain shot through her shoulder from behind. She turned to see a black arrow protruding from the corner of her vision. Reacting swiftly, she yanked the arrow out with her hand and scanned her surroundings.

"Lily, watch out! The undead archers have begun targeting us from the top of the walls," I cautioned her.

Lily evaded erratically as dozens of arrows whizzed toward her. Her injured shoulder throbbed with pain as she weaved through the volley. I quickly positioned my buckler to block the relentless barrage. Soon, the arrow fire ceased as our elven allies found vantage points and retaliated against the immobile archers. The undead archers' mobility was restricted within the narrow walls, hindered further by their skeletal allies.

"Alistar made the right call. Did he anticipate this tactic?" Lily muttered, somewhat impressed.

"He's a genius, indeed. Now, move on and engage that Vargmuth. I will keep watch on the walls."

"No, I think I need to find Edelweiss. My shoulder has been screaming ever since that arrow struck me. I can't concentrate with this pain. That wasn't an ordinary arrow."

"Alright, I'll clear the way. Edelweiss should be in the infirmary. Hurry! Before it worsens."

Lily instructed Nora to watch out for the archers on the wall and sprinted toward the infirmary. Inside, she found Edelweiss tending to an injured elven swordsman. Tears streamed down her face, and hundreds of other patients awaited her care, most teetering on the brink of death, with only meager bandages to aid them.

"Lily!" Edelweiss called out, her eyes widening in shock at the sight of Lily's blood-soaked shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Lily hesitated, about to ask for Edelweiss's help, but the healer insisted, her tone firm.

"Come here! Let me see your wound."

"It was just an arrow... There are so many others who need your help..."

"No! Right now, we must prioritize the stronger soldiers. *hic hic* That's what the war doctrine dictates," Edelweiss said, attempting to control her tears but failing. "This is no ordinary arrow. It carries a potent curse. Just hold on for a moment."

Edelweiss took deep breaths, her hands glowing with healing energy. Within a minute, Lily's wound closed. Edelweiss declared the healing complete and moved on to the next soldier, but not before expressing her concern.

"Don't push yourself. Please, don't die, Lily!" she pleaded, wiping her eyes as she tended to the others. Edelweiss had wanted to assist Alistar with her magic spells, but he forbade her and ordered her to stay in the infirmary. With the archers present, her life was at risk, and Alistar would not allow anything to happen to her, even if it meant sacrificing hundreds in the fort. Knowing this, Edelweiss cried as she tried to be as helpful as possible as a healer.

Lily returned to the battlefield, bidding Edelweiss farewell with a wave. Her resolve strengthened, and armed with Nora's scimitar, she clashed on the battlefield again.

3