Volume 2: Chapter 47 Scolding
177 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm amazed that it actually took this long for something like this to happen."
"Teacher?"
"Don't worry about it. Lets just say that we expected something like this to happen. Can you throw him into the cave. We will handle what happens next."

*Grab* *throw* *slam*

"Well, I understand your anger so I won't reprimand you but at the very least make sure he doesn't land on his head when you throw him."

He was heavier than I thought so my throw was off balanced. It's okay though, he will only have a really nasty headache when he wakes up.

"Alright, sub-leader 4 will be in command. Its still early but we have a lot to do so this will be our camp for tonight. Vice-leader, you also bear the responsibility since you didn't dissuade the leader. You will be demoted to a sub-leader and sub-leader 3 will take over your post. Blacksmith graduates do the equipment 5 at a time. If you rotate it as only one from each group then it won't hurt the overall combat force of the guards. Combat healers, guards and the others, as you were."

I guess it makes sense and we would finish in at least 6 hours. I wanted it to be three at a time because only 3 loafers would hang around us. Now there would be 5 heads crowding over us as we work.

"Thanks for the help victor."
"Don't mention it, he was venting out his anger to us because of a bad judgement call in the last battle."
"Well, let's get back to doing the maintenance. I will be on guard equipment duty, someone volunteer for the other four."

It would take a long time, there are a lot of joints and crevices, not to mention it reeks of sweat but at least the repetitive work would be easier. I also don't have to be on guard equipment duty for 6 hours straight. In cases like these, we rotate so everyone gets a share of the frustration. I wonder, if I do three armour straight could I excuse myself and sleep early?

Ugh, it smells like vinegar soaked in hot sauce. It feels like a blade is being pushed into my nostrils. The joints and crevices are filthy too, don't they clean this thing? It looks like the shoe part is the worst one since it reeks the worse and its close to rusting. This might just be the accumulated sweat funneling down into the shoe but I can't help but thing some of them have sweaty feet.

"...But teacher!!"

Hmm? It sounds like the confused idiot is awake and the first thing he did is complain to the teacher. He is shouting but it looks like only the guards beside the cave can hear it. He lowered his voice enough to not anger the teacher but loud enough to show his dissatisfaction. It looks like even if he is angry he can't show it in front of the teacher.

"...but what?"
"...They were clearly spear men so the correct choice is to dismount and fight in close combat."
"...Following your training isn't bad but you need to analyze your surroundings too. It is true in normal cases you need to dismount but depending on your mount you can charge too. The iron rhinos might be slow compared to other mounts but they are also strong and has strong defense. They could withstand the charge and might even shatter the enemies' weapon."
"...I understand, however!"
"...No, you don't. If you understand then you wouldn't try to defend your choice just now. You would have understood it the moment we had to take command during the battle last noon."
"...I-I'm sorry. However, I believe I am still fit to lead the caravan guards."

Don't try to fight it moron. You caused such a big scene that antagonized the people who are responsible to make the merchandise 'sellable'. If we aren't here then you would be stuck trying to sell scratched up pieces of armour and dented shields.

"...Consider this as a warning and act accordingly from now on."
"...I can't accept this teacher!"

*sigh*

"...Usually we would discuss this after we get back but since you are starting to irritate me then let me list it all for you. We can let the dismounting out since that is just a small mistake due to inexperience. You made a lot of mistakes throughout the journey but let me start where you slip down until we decided to remove you as the leader."

*scrub* *scrub* *shine* *shine* *tap* *tap*

I feel like I am repairing this rather than doing simple maintenance. I am going to need more materials, this is still the first one but its getting tiresome already. The military course needs to teach their recruits a more thorough maintenance class. This thing is filthy, at least I can hear some interesting scolding session.

"...First of all, you didn't listen to all the scout report before making your decision. Even if you may have been presented the best choice first, you won't be able to know for sure until you hear the complete list. You rushed too much even though we have a lot of time. A leader has to make an informed decision, especially since the safety of the whole group is concerned."

I heard a barely audible groan. That might have hurt his pride a lot.

"...Secondly, You dismissed everyone's opinion. It is true that a leader needs to have quick wits but listening to others wouldn't hurt. If you can't think about everything then let others think for you."
"...However, if I let another influence my decision then I won't be in command anymore."
"...You are a team and you are a team leader. Your subordinates all have their own brain and their own thoughts. If you want sole command like that then learn how to control golems and be their leader. As part of the team, you need to understand your member's concern and make a decision that is best for all. If that still hasn't satisfied your pride then the final decision is still yours so don't worry about others 'out-leader-ing' you."

That is an oof. The team leader of all people doesn't like its own team. If this is true then why is he the team leader? Victor said that the leader is smart and know how to use resources available to get the best result?

"...Third, This campsite is clearly suspicious yet decided to stay here since you can't swallow your pride. It is stil early afternoon so we have time to choose another campsite but because you don't want to admit your mistake, you made everyone stay here despite the danger. A leader won't willingly put his team in danger."

Ugh, the helmet looks like it is almost rusting. I need to take care of this before it becomes a problem in the future. Their conversation is a lot less intense than I thought. I was expecting raised voices and a stubborn former-captain trying to defend his 'honour'.

"...Fourth, You tried to reach something outside your territory. The blacksmith graduate, though still fresh off the school, are more knowledgeable in their field. You may have your own preconceptions but until you educate yourself of what is real and what is fake, keep it to yourself."
"...But he was challenging my authority."
"...You are challenging his profession. Authority will only have meaning when you know on what is possible. He is right, this is a trip not a mission to them. This isn't a normal trade caravan. The members are mostly fresh graduates and you can treat them as passengers in normal caravans. The guard escort can direct them for the safety of the whole group but they can't order them to do what you want. You also can't expel them from the group just because they didn't do your unreasonable orders."
"...I am unsatisfied, teacher! I request a battle against that blacksmith student to avenge myself."

Oh! Please no! I don't want to deal with him anymore. Reject him for me please teacher. I won't win against a combat specialist like him even I use magic so please crush that though as soon as possible, teacher.

"...Which brings us to the fifth and final mistake you made. This is biggest one you have made and the reason you ended up here. You are normally smart but just because the captain roxane of the combat healer showed interest on that blacksmith student you started trying to do the impossible to catch her interest. She knows your aim but is not impressed on how you do things. No matter how much you want to show off in front of her, it won't matter if someone died because of it. Remember, once one of us die, every bandits out there will get the news and kill us all to delay the news and delay the sweep."

Wait, what? The combat healer leader is interested in me?

*glance*

Hello there beautiful, your boobs might not be big enough for my taste but they are still some fine looking melons.

*Glare!!!!!*

Nevermind then.

That is a scary look she had. I think the escort leader misunderstood that glare of suspicion as a passionate stare of love.

"...We have relieved you of your command but your evaluation is still up in the air. The outcome can even be excellent depending on your actions from now on. Perform according to your role. Don't cause us anymore trouble. Do you understand?"
"...Yes, teacher."

That was a sad response. I just hope he doesn't bother me anymore.

"...Good then to finish things off. Let me show you the consequences of insulting someone's profession?"
"...I'm sorry, what teacher?"
"...It is still too early to be saying sorry."

*bang* *crash* *rumble*

This!! This is what I have been waiting for!! This is exactly the spicy talk I have been expecting for that idiot. May the teacher won't have any mercy on you. I think the teacher would hold back since that guy still has a job to do.

"...I'm the teacher of those you insulted. The moment you belittled them is the same as saying I dindn't teach them right. Do you think my standards are that low that I would pass just anyone? My students have the necessary skills to uphold the school name. Are you their teacher? No!!! Then stop trying to lecture them like you are. I will leave it at this since you still have your job to do. hmm? Fainted already? Tch, my students can take much more than this."

Well, thank you teacher. I'm going to miss you after we leave, only for a moment though. Also, the only one reason we are so tough is because of the exercise you taught us. It helped us endure hours and hours of forging in front of a hot open flame without boiling like lobsters.

I guess this annoyance is dealt with so I don't have to worry about it anymore. A few more days and we will reach the central island.

One armour done. I had to redo most of the leather since it turned brittle from getting wet all the time. I hope the rest won't be as bad as this.

Nope, this is just as bad as the last one.

Third and final one. I finished in two and a half hours. A new record for myself, I guess I am getting better. Their equipment still reeks though, you military students need to know how to take care of your own armour.

"I did three sets of equipment. Someone switch with me."

Now, I just need to do a couple of things from the cargo and I can excuse myself.

"All guards pattern 8. Students stay near the cave and those that still doesn't have their equipment protect the students."

We are already expecting this from the look of this fake-beast lair so we are all prepared. I just hope this is the last night attack.

It was a busy week so these two chapters were delayed. Sorry!

7