Volume 2: Chapter 50 Enemies and potential enemies.
185 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"...Hmm, even if we helped them they would still outnumber us. It would be big disadvantage if they turn out to be enemies."
"...How about we just provide long range support. We don't have to dive in and blend with the other group. We can't deal significant damage but we can still pressure the enemy which would make it easier for them, the battle is even so a little push should be enough."

That would take too long though. Also, if the reinforcement arrives we are the ones who would be sandwiched. Even if we pretend that nothing is happening, its not like they will ignore us as we pass by so we can't reposition.

"...That would take too much time and especially with the reinforcements. The enemy currently attacking that caravan might try to escape but the fully armoured reinforcement won't since they are too slow. If its only us then we can control our group to allow their escape but it would be a problem if the other group provoked them. We don't need an extended battle."
"...They are a merchant's guard escort so won't they put the priority on the caravans safety?"
"...You can never tell, they and even the merchant might get a boost of confidence if they know us from the army is backing them up."

It is not might but will. The dwarf continent's army are the best in prolonged defensive battles against forces that vastly outnumber them so I am sure it would boost their morale. It is true if we have seasoned army regulars but we only have fresh graduates and new recruits, they would need a couple more years to live up to that standard.

"...Captain roxane, how about we set up an ambush for the reinforcements? We won't help them win but we can make sure they won't lose."
"...If we did that then it might send a message that we are actively hunting for bandits. It's okay if we are defending ourselves or helping others but they don't know we noticed the other group, so they might think we saw them and chose to attack them."
"...They are en route to help the other group so wouldn't they know we are there to defend them? They should be smart enough to realize it."
"...Leader, I don't want to gamble on that chance, that is based on their wisdom because if they really did consider it as our group hunting bandits then every bandit group would team up to hunt us. The deterrence of the army won't matter if we are actively attacking them. They would think that we are acting this way because they are holding back from killing us."

I didn't think about that. Hmm, how about just the mounts charging in on the attacking group to disrupt their formation. They could just charge and retreat back while our group would slowly circle the battlefield to position the other caravan between us and the reinforcements. We won't need to be beside the other caravan but still be able to help them. When the reinforcement comes we will shout out our intent to avoid battle but still be ready in case they initiate them. If the other caravan wants to fight, they have to consider that they would be the pad between us and the enemies.

"...Then we will announce ourselves and make sure they know we don't want battle and only want to rescue the caravan. If we outright tell them then they won't misunderstand. Once we are sure they won't continue the attack, we can send that news to the caravan so they can retreat too. If the caravan guards insisted to continue then we shall arrest them as offenders who put army personnel in danger."
"...If we arrest a the guards the merchant won't have any escorts to return, won't they give us problem?"

That was more simpler than I thought.

"...We can just impose a fee on the merchant  since they are the employer. I will handle the paperwork. If they don't comply we will delay them at the central island. Agreed?"
"...Yes, we shall prepare immediately."

A merchant wouldn't want that sort of delay since it would cost them a lot more than the actual fee. That is fairly smart. I just hope the bandits obediently retreat, otherwise the attacking group might notice something strange and retreat. We might save the caravan but we might get surrounded in their place.

*step* *step*

"You all better get ready, we have a big battle coming up. I advise you to keep your guard up the whole time."

Welcome back, but if you can please not bring bad news every time you return, we would all be more happy.

"Oookkk"xAll

The passengers are already numb to the whole thing since the enemy can't even get near the passenger wagon. The scariest part for them are the arrow showers but we have a shield to block that.

"Good, just stay behaved like that and this should also go smoothly. As for my healers, one of you needs to volunteer to accompany a couple of scouts who wants to go?"

Hmm, they are sending scouts to watch the ongoing attack in case they retreat. This just solves the danger of them surrounding us, not that being surrounded is a problem for our group since we still have some emergency bombs.

"Halt, we are from dwarf continent army. We wish to rescue the caravan being attacked by your companions. Please don't reinforce them and if they retreat after our warning, we won't have to do battle."
"Tsk, then I suppose we don't attack anyone anymore and give up the life of bandits? Excuse us for doing something bad, we shall promply surrender ourselves to the nearest town and live as farmers after we are forgiven."

I can hear the sarcasm from here. This person is a talker for sure.

"I repeat, we do not wish to battle with you. We can't ignore a group of bandits attacking a caravan on our way. Take a step back or we would have to convince you with our might."
"It can't be helped, we will step back all the way to the mighty capital. It is so shocking that a bandit is attacking a merchant in this roads, how could that ever happen?"

Standard second warning given and mocking sarcasm received. Are we going to attack now?

"You leave us no choice. Go!!!"
"Oh, how shocking to think we forced the army to do their duties. What ever shall we d---aaaaghhhh!"

*clang*

That had to hurt. I can hear the wind getting pounded out of him mid-sentence. If only they didn't park the caravan in a way that it acts as a wall for the bandits, I could have seen that amazing scene.

"That idiot!!! This is why I keep telling him to shut that rotten mouth of his. Someone rescue the new recruit before he gets trampled."

A new recruit? Why would you let a new recruit run his mouth like that. Thanks to his provocation, we now have a big battle like this.

*Clang* *Bang* *Thump* *Slap*

"Retreat, we can't afford to lose this much heavy units. You over there, don't try to sexually harass a combat healer. Do you want to anger them more? Are you blind? Can't you see we are getting pummeled!?!?"

I have to praise that lone idiot, combat healers pack a lot of punch. They can carry a few fully armoured soldier while doing a full sprint. A slap from them will break your jaw if you took a direct hit. I know that because when I tried spanking the leader, she hit me with a backhand that sent me flying.

If only I could watch it happening. The shield duty on my side of the wagon is our super strict and most beautiful lady mill of our blacksmith class. She looks cool holding the shield up, sexy even, but she takes it so seriously that she started holding up the shield even before we reach the designated position. You are only supposed to hold that up when arrows fly or if you are nervous, when they started aiming.

"Combat healer captain, reel in your subordinates. Let them escape, we don't need to risk more injuries. We need to reinforce the other caravan, hurry up and go back in formation."

So this means we can't loot things. Well, the retreating bandits would probably retrieve the bodies of their comrades now that we are leaving them be.

They are weaker than the army leader expected though. I will just blame it on our well crafted weapons suited for clanging their bell like full armour.

"Bandits, know that we have subdued your reinforcements. We the dwarf continent army is here to save the caravan you are attacking, retreat now as we have no wish to battle. Caravan, pull back and let them leave otherwise we shall arrest you for delaying official council business."

Threaten the bandits, threaten the caravan. A very fair proposition for both sides to avoid further damage.

The location we are at is a bit sloped downwards so I can see the caravan and a few of the defenders and the bandits from my seat. It looks like people have already died from both sides.

The bandits might let it go and escape since they should value their life more but the closely knit group of merchan escorts will likely take advantage of the situation and get revenge.

"Now is the time, take revenge and wipe them out."

I told you so. What now leader?

"Merchant caravan, I repeat you are being rescued by the army. We don't wish to continue the battle so pull back your guards otherwise we will arrest and detain you until you are processed at a government office."
"Shut up, you stuck up dog!!! You aren't the one who lost your brother in the battle so leave us alone. If you get in the way of our revenge then we will go through you to kill these dirty stupid scavengers."
"Then prepare for the consequences. I warn the bandits to leave now or we will not show mercy."

The bandits are already leaving but it can't hurt to throw in a few threats to make sure they won't get any idea of returning.

Also, it looks like we are attacking the one we are rescuing. Do we keep their cargo or do they only need to pay the fine.

The battle didn't take long. It can't be helped, they lost a lot of people and they are already exhausted.

"HaHaHa I apologize for my subordinates. I am a strong supporter of the army. I know quite a few people in it too, maybe you know them. This is all a minor error, they are just a little angry over the lost of their comrades. Your cargo looks a little light, I have a couple of items here that I wanted to donate to the army and since you are already here I might as well give it to you. Don't worry about it and just leave a small note that I donated a little something."

*wink* *wink*

This is the merchant I expected it to be. A really fast and long talker that tries to mix in subtle bribes along the way. An upgraded version of chatterbox if you will.

"Team leader 5 and two groups of army students shall supervise and direct the merchant caravan. Confiscate the weapons of the combatants and tie them up. Everyone will be detained inside the wagons. Use the personal room of the merchant so it won't be crowded in the passenger wagons. Search if first in case it has hidden weapons."
"Hey, w-wait. We can t-talk about this."
"You good for nothing dogs!! Is this how you treat citizens!! Why don't you grow some balls and outright declare that you wanted to pocket the cargo, you greedy bastards!!!!"

This is that fellow who loss his brother during the battle. If this is how he mourns the dead then he would not like what comes next.

"Blindfold him, plug up his mouth and ears. He shall be sent to the courts to be judged."

The thing about the dwarf continent army is that they take their duty very seriously. No corruption, no slackers and no one shall throw mud at their good name. This is why no one tries to fake declare themselves as part of the army, and no one badmouths them,...... in front of their face.

They decided to defend this continent and they are trained to do that and nothing else. There might be corruption in the higher ups but normal soldiers can't concern themselves on that. As far as they know, they are part of a wall that can stubbornly resist waves after waves of enemies until they die.

8